• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lack of social infrastructure, volatile economy, high debts can lead to severe declin

TopSage

Alfrescian
Loyal
under investment in social infrastructure, you can get away with it if the economy provide highly stable jobs and is n a sound footing at all levels. However, this is not true in today's hire and fire corporate systems. workers are hired on short 1 yr of 2 yrs contracts and dumped off when they are no longer needed. At the same time families are beset by high levels of debt and strained by high cost of living. The end result of all this is Singaporeans having highest levels of stress, and highest level of unhappiness in the world. The sense of instability is probably linked to rising suicides and having lowest fertility rate in the world.

Can human beings be sustained in such a system over long periods ? The social problems are mounting as we see increased acts of violence towards others like the recent case of neighbor beating up neighbor and rising number of mental illness cases. Such strained families will create an environment that raises problematic children and a vicious cycle is created.

Our society is the biggest casualty of our economic pursuits as the grow at any cost strategy will have a payback we may not be able to afford. Wise leaders know not to put their people through untested boundaries but bad leaders pass the buck down and levy unbearable burdens on the people and society until the back is broken. Today we have the crowd of mindless grateful minions who will cheer on as the driver drives us all off the 1000 foot cliff .....the co driver slaps slaps but the driver is still in a deep slumber as the cliff gets ever closer....

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Re: Lack of social infrastructure, volatile economy, high debts can lead to severe de

However, this is not true in today's hire and fire corporate systems. workers are hired on short 1 yr of 2 yrs contracts and dumped off when they are no longer needed.

That's simply the nature of things in today's hi tech world. Skills go out of date very quickly and you cannot expect employers to hang on to staff whose skills are obsolete.

When I need a job done, I go to elance.com to seek out a contractor to do the job. I don't hire a person and keep him on the payroll. I'd go bankrupt if I did that.

wMulew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Lack of social infrastructure, volatile economy, high debts can lead to severe de

The opposition supporting retards in here still thinks they live in a world 10 - 15 years ago where they get stable jobs and easy money. In today's world U are not competing with just the people in your country, U are competing with cheap labor who are just as good if not cheaper from other country. Why do I need to hire you when I can just as easily hire someone in another country to do the job. Internet, emails and video conf have made the world a lot smaller. It makes little difference if the office and the bulk of the workers are in the home country or in another. All the major companies like Apple Inc, etc have moved on to this model.

The over expensive, over taxed, over burden western model have been failing and their economy going down the drain. Even in Asia where we are growing at breakneck speed, traditional powerhouses like Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan have all become stagnant or moving backwards. The PAP government is fighting tooth and nail to ensure the decline doesn't set in or at least hold it back as long as possible. They are not going on a growing at all cost model, they are on a survival at all cost model.

Instead of allowing the jobs to go away, they get the foreigners to come in just so we can keep those jobs. If only you retards stop and look at the world a bit more, you will realize how far we have come and how far we will fall if we stop. Just ask Taiwan and Hong Kong

Last edited:

TopSage

Alfrescian
Loyal

That's simply the nature of things in today's hi tech world. Skills go out of date very quickly and you cannot expect employers to hang on to staff whose skills are obsolete.

When I need a job done, I go to elance.com to seek out a contractor to do the job. I don't hire a person and keep him on the payroll. I'd go bankrupt if I did that.

Thanks for confirming it is the "nature of things" ...such unstable job environments. It is economically expedient for companies to implement such schemes. I'm not saying that this is right or wrong from corporation's perspective but such unstable environments exist...and because it exist, there are social implications.

TopSage

Alfrescian
Loyal

The opposition supporting retards in here still thinks they live in a world 10 - 15 years ago where they get stable jobs and easy money. In today's world U are not competing with just the people in your country, U are competing with cheap labor who are just as good if not cheaper from other country. Why do I need to hire you when I can just as easily hire someone in another country to do the job. Internet, emails and video conf have made the world a lot smaller. It makes little difference if the office and the bulk of the workers are in the home country or in another. All the major companies like Apple Inc, etc have moved on to this model.

The over expensive, over taxed, over burden western model have been failing and their economy going down the drain. Even in Asia where we are growing at breakneck speed, traditional powerhouses like Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan have all become stagnant or moving backwards. The PAP government is fighting tooth and nail to ensure the decline doesn't set in or at least hold it back as long as possible. They are not going on a growing at all cost model, they are on a survival at all cost model.

Instead of allowing the jobs to go away, they get the foreigners to come in just so we can keep those jobs. If only you retards stop and look at the world a bit more, you will realize how far we have come and how far we will fall if we stop. Just ask Taiwan and Hong Kong

Thanks for confirming the nature of the competition we face and what sacrifices need to be made in order to compete. Life in other words has become more difficult and this is a change from the past where support for PAP was strong despite the lack of a good social infrastructure. We cannot keep marching on the same way when the very nature of economic competition has changed.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

Thanks for confirming it is the "nature of things" ...such unstable job environments. It is economically expedient for companies to implement such schemes. I'm not saying that this is right or wrong from corporation's perspective but such unstable environments exist...and because it exist, there are social implications.

The era of "stable job environments" is long gone. Singapore has to move with the times or become irrelevant.

TopSage

Alfrescian
Loyal

The era of "stable job environments" is long gone. Singapore has to move with the times or become irrelevant.
You mean go with the flow? Of course if the Chinese offer themselves as slave/cheap labor, it will put us all out of business unless we become cheap labor ourselves. What is necessary in the economic sense to survive and compete may not have desirable social outcomes and the social infrastructure has to address the problems that emerge from the economy.

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal

That's exactly why I don't see the need for the political arena to be the last bastion of "stable job environments". The idea of SG as a country is outdated and is heading towards certain death. I would urge every SGrean to plan for their own future instead of hoping for some political party to perform a miracle. Our forefathers from China and India did not plan on settling in SG and even for those that did, it was with the assumption that it would be under the shelter of the British empire. Those that fought for independence from the British wanted to align closely with either Malaysia or China.

Big countries like US and China do not need to worry about their survival but for those in tiny SG, they need to ask themselves if SG is viable as a country in the long run (100 years or more). If it is viable, what would their vision of the country be, given that the slightest global event will affect it tremendously? If it is not viable, then what should be the options for the inhabitants? The hard truth is that no sane person will be willing to serve the country unless they are paid an obscene amount of money. If SG is viable as a country, there would be plenty of suitable individuals willing to serve for much less. Prolonging the debate with injections of patriotic fervour is not helpful and will just mean a slow, painful death.

For SG to be immune to most global events, it may mean reverting to a subsistence way of life for perhaps the few thousand inhabitants that it can support.

hockbeng

Alfrescian
Loyal

We should return to the age of empires.

Over populated countries like china / HK / Korea / Taiwan / Spore should invade the middle east and africa. With territorial expansion, there will be enough resources to share. At the same time, bring back peace and stability to the arabs and africans who are being raped , murdered, tortured on a daily basis since independence from the brits

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The opposition supporting retards in here still thinks they live in a world 10 - 15 years ago where they get stable jobs and easy money. In today's world U are not competing with just the people in your country, U are competing with cheap labor who are just as good if not cheaper from other country. ....

Why point to the opposition when they are only a minority:confused:
It is the PAP that is responsible for ALL the policies that is causing "SINGAPOREANS" grief.

It is funny that you accuse the opposition of living in the past because LKY who is 90 is still a PAP MP.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

T they need to ask themselves if SG is viable as a country in the long run (100 years or more). If it is viable, what would their vision of the country be, given that the slightest global event will affect it tremendously? If it is not viable, then what should be the options for the inhabitants?

SG is not viable in the long term. That's why I cashed out and moved in the mid 90s.

SG is a company not a country. It does not have the depth or the resources to be viable as an independent nation.

It can easily go the way of Nokia or Blackberry.

The best option for the existing citizens is to cash out now while their stock price is still high. It is the sensible and prudent thing to do. Voting the opposition isn't going to reverse the inevitable. The opposition are human too. They aren't magicians or gods and they are not going to be able to work miracles.

TopSage

Alfrescian
Loyal

SG is not viable in the long term. That's why I cashed out and moved in the mid 90s.

SG is a company not a country. It does not have the depth or the resources to be viable as an independent nation.

It can easily go the way of Nokia or Blackberry.

The best option for the existing citizens is to cash out now while their stock price is still high. It is the sensible and prudent thing to do. Voting the opposition isn't going to reverse the inevitable. The opposition are human too. They aren't magicians or gods and they are not going to be able to work miracles.

Gee...really no way to save the sinking ship?? Sad. Anyway you run road to NZ or Australia?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

Gee...really no way to save the sinking ship?? Sad. Anyway you run road to NZ or Australia?

It's not sinking. It's just that it will cease to be a profitable and will become nothing more than an ordinary performer. Once the GDP and per Capita incomes start going South and property values start to fall, the buzz that has taken Singapore to where it is today will be gone and foreign investment will dry up.

Those who can will then leave and this will depress property values even further.

Sinkies who prefer a slower pace of life may actually find Singapore becoming more to their liking so it is not all bad news. Re merging with a bigger neighbor may then be on the cards again.

wMulew

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thanks for confirming the nature of the competition we face and what sacrifices need to be made in order to compete. Life in other words has become more difficult and this is a change from the past where support for PAP was strong despite the lack of a good social infrastructure. We cannot keep marching on the same way when the very nature of economic competition has changed.

If U have not notice already all the countries with good social infrastructure are in rapid decline and have been funding those same infrastructure from borrowed money. All of them without a single exception(even the Scandinavians whom SDP kept singing about) are actively looking at reducing whatever they have right now ironically towards one that is fast looking similar to the SG model

wMulew

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why point to the opposition when they are only a minority:confused:
It is the PAP that is responsible for ALL the policies that is causing "SINGAPOREANS" grief.

It is funny that you accuse the opposition of living in the past because LKY who is 90 is still a PAP MP.

Which policy is causing U grief the ones that ensure we are still the riches country in the world where most citizen in SG can afford most basic luxury and multiple overseas trip every year. Or the one where U bitch and moan about only the negative of the same policy which U benefit from without looking at the positive