• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

La Liga Season 2011/2012

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

169475_thumb.jpg

We must follow the example set by Bayern, claims Sevilla coach Michel
The former Blancos midfielder believes that the Rojiblancos, who could still nick a place in next season's Champions League, have what it takes to trouble Jose Mourinho's men

158491_thumb.jpg

Moratti plays down Guardiola link: For the future I'm thinking only of Stramaccioni
The Blaugrana boss has confirmed that he will be standing down in the summer but the Nerazzurri supremo is expecting the former Spain international to take a one-year sabbatical

182093_thumb.jpg

Introducing Barcelona's next coach Tito Vilanova - the man infamously poked in the eye by Jose Mourinho
As one of the most successful clubs in recent years prepare to make a managerial change, Goal.com takes a look at the man who will replace Guardiola at the end of the season

161883_thumb.jpg

Heartbroken Messi unable to bring himself to attend press conference confirming Guardiola's departure
The Argentine has been left devastated by the news that the 41-year-old coach will be leaving Camp Nou at the end of the season and wanted to hide his grief from the press

155597_thumb.jpg

Vilanova to replace Guardiola at Barcelona
The 42-year-old, who is a product of the club's youth side, has been the outgoing coach's right-hand man for the past five years but will now take full control of the first team

170998_thumb.jpg

Adios to a genius: Pep Guardiola has earned his break from one of football's most demanding jobs
The Catalan coach has decided to leave Barcelona after four unforgettable years in charge, and Goal.com pays tribute to his achievements at Camp Nou

176296_thumb.jpg

Guardiola confirms Barcelona exit at the end of the season
The Catalan coach has confirmed his decision to leave his post at the end of the current campaign after a four-year spell, citing the need to rediscover his passion for the game

167933_thumb.jpg

Frank de Boer: I will not leave Ajax for Barcelona
The Dutchman has stressed that he is not interested in succeeding Pep Guardiola as the man in charge of the Catalan giants as it is "not the right time" for him to move

176296_thumb.jpg

Guardiola informs Barcelona players he will leave club at end of the season
The Spanish boss looks set to announce his departure from the Catalan club to take a sabbatical from football in a press conference scheduled for this afternoon

155653_thumb.jpg

Sergio Canales faces lengthy injury layoff
The attacking midfielder, who is on loan at Los Che from Real Madrid, has picked up yet another serious knee knock, and could be out of action for six months

168133_thumb.jpg

Courtois: Atletico Madrid loan extension almost certain
The highly-rated Belgian goalkeeper has confirmed that he is likely to remain at the Vicente Calderon one more year, while rejecting reports linking him with Real Madrid

177981_thumb.jpg

Valencia's Emery: Atletico Madrid were the better side and deserved to go through
The 40-year-old stated that Atletico were the better side in the two-legged tie and urged the players to lift themselves up for the remaining La Liga matches

181067_thumb.jpg

Simeone: The fans are proud of Atletico Madrid after Europa League final berth
The Argentine coach hailed the players combative spirit after such a long season and spoke of his excitement at meeting Athletic`Bilbao in the tournament`s decider

176200_thumb.jpg

It is very hard to lose like this, says Sporting Lisbon's Sa Pinto
The 39-year-old was visibly disappointed that his side were not able to reach the final and stated that he was proud of what the team accomplished in the competition

171821_thumb.jpg

Villas-Boas reportedly offers his services to Barcelona
The Portuguese coach is allegedly eager to jump at the chance to take the reins of the Catalan team and told his representatives to let the Blaugrana know he is available

180384_thumb.jpg

Raul: Mourinho has been doing a great job at Madrid
The experienced attacker has hailed the coach's influence since arriving at the club and reminded how the team has registered significant improvements under the trainer

173787_thumb.jpg

Barcelona set sights on Bielsa as exhausted Guardiola looks set to announce departure
The 41-year-old, who has led the club to 13 titles since taking charge, is seemingly going to leave in the summer and the Catalans will look to replace him with a man he idolises

100655_thumb.jpg

Messi has changed a lot as he now argues with team-mates and referees, claims former Barcelona boss Antic
The 63-year-old, who had a short stint at Camp Nou in 2003, believes that the Blaugrana's talisman has become increasingly surly in recent months

180915_thumb.jpg

Xavi ruled out for two weeks with calf injury
The veteran midfielder has torn the soleus muscle in his left leg, meaning he will sit out the Blaugrana's next three Liga outings, against Rayo Vallecano, Malaga and Espanyol

176296_thumb.jpg

Guardiola's decision on his Barcelona future will not have been affected by recent results, insists Lillo
The Blaugrana saw their Liga hopes crushed by Real Madrid on Saturday and were then dumped out of Europe by Chelsea, casting further doubt on their coach's future

174429_thumb.jpg

Anzhi prepare outrageous offer for Dani Alves - report
The Brazilian has a contract with the Blaugrana until 2015 but is now said to have put the Russian club on alert by admitting that he would consider moving on in the summer

160997_thumb.jpg

Ancelotti: Barcelona are not finished and will come back stronger than ever
The Italian brushed off suggestions that the Blaugrana's cycle has peaked, claiming that while Messi, Xavi and Iniesta remain at Camp Nou, they will always be the team to beat

175644_thumb.jpg

Jose Mourinho is staying put, claims Real Madrid doctor Luis Serratosa
The Spanish capital side's medic suggested that the coach has vowed to remain at the Santiago Bernabeu while saying that the 49-year-old has brought stability to the club

176446_thumb.jpg

Benfica reportedly on verge of landing Jese Rodriguez
The Portuguese giants are very close to completing the signing of the Spanish youngster, who has had few chances to shine at the Santiago Bernabeu

43427_thumb.jpg

Relegation would not be catastrophic for Villarreal, says Roig
The Spanish club's supremo believes that playing in the second tier would not be the end of the world, but insisted he wants to avoid such a scenario

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Introducing Barcelona's next coach Tito Vilanova - the man infamously poked in the eye by Jose Mourinho

As one of the most successful clubs in recent years prepare to make a managerial change, Goalcom takes a look at the man who will replace Guardiola at the end of the season

Apr 27, 2012 3:00:00 PM

182093hp2.jpg

By Martin Langer | Goal.com Spain Chief Editor

Despite Barcelona's record-breaking success under Pep Guardiola over the past four years - resulting in 13 trophies and countless magical moments - assistant coach Tito Vilanova has rarely been the centre of attention.

Until today that is, when the 42-year-old was somewhat surprisingly confirmed as Barcelona's coach for 2012-13 following the decision by Guardiola to step down at the end of the current season.

Born in the Catalonian region of Bellcaire d'Emporda in 1969, Guardiola's right-hand man has been very close to the Blaugrana boss during his entire career. The pair grew up together in La Masia's youth setup in the 1980s. But while Guardiola would go on to become a star in Johan Cruyff's Dream Team - winning six La Liga titles and a European Cup in 11 years with the seniors - Vilanova failed to graduate, and after two years with Barcelona B would embark on a modest playing career.

He had spells at Figueres, Celta, Badajoz, Mallorca, Lleida, Elche and Gramenet, where he would retire in 2002 after a professional career which spanned 14 years.

Vilanova then turned his attention to management. His only experience as a technical director came in 2006-07 at Terrassa, a club from the third tier of Spanish football. He returned to Barcelona in the summer of 2007 as an assistant to Guardiola at Barcelona B.

125_30x30.jpg
TITO VILANOVA | COACHING FACTFILE

<tbody>
</tbody>
125511_hp.jpg

Date of Birth17/09/1969
Clubs played forBarcelona B, Figueres,
Celta, Mallorca, Lleida,
Badajoz, Elche, Gramenet
COACHING HISTORY
2007-08Barcelona B assistant
2008-12Barcelona assistant
2012-Barcelona coach

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

When Guardiola succeeded Frank Rijkaard in 2008, Vilanova joined him on his new adventure, becoming an assistant coach with the first team.

The most notorious incident involving Vilanova as Guardiola’s assistant dates back to August 18 2011 in stoppage time of the Supercopa return leg between Barcelona and Real Madrid at Camp Nou. A reckless challenge by Marcelo on Cesc Fabregas sparked a scuffle between players of both clubs, and ended with Jose Mourinho poking a finger in the eye of Vilanova - a gesture which was widely reported by the Spanish press.

Last October, Vilanova faced a more important battle as he underwent emergency surgery to remove a tumor on his parotid gland. Thankfully, the operation was a success, and after a few weeks he was able to resume his job without a problem. There have been no recurrences of the problem since.

According to Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta, Vilanova's appointment as successor to Guardiola is "a logical decision" because he "represents the same style of play and the same philosophy."

"Tito has been working here with us, so why not Tito? He puts in all the hours until he sleeps and he has the personality that we need to lift us. He's different to Pep, but Tito's the one.
"We've always looked in house. We have Tito - it's simple. We needn't go out on the market."

Cesc Fabregas also supported the decision to promote Vilanova, tweeting: "I wish Tito the best in this new opportunity that football has given to him. We were together when I was a kid, and he is not just a great person but also an excellent coach."

"Tito is a very qualified person, the players know him and I always put his ideas alongside mine"- Pep Guardiola
159922_thumb.jpg

<tbody>
</tbody>

In today's tearful press conference, Guardiola himself offered support to his good friend: "I leave and I won't intervene anymore. I'm stepping aside. I'll be here until the cup final.

"Tito is a very qualified person, the players know him and I always put his ideas alongside mine."

But after 13 trophies - potentially 14 if Barca win the Copa del Rey next month - in just four years, Tito faces a tough job emulating his predecessor.

Just as Guardiola concluded today: "Now it's up to Tito."

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Villas-Boas reportedly offers his services to Barcelona

The Portuguese coach is allegedly eager to jump at the chance to take the reins of the Catalan team and told his representatives to let the Blaugrana know he is available

Apr 26, 2012 9:45:00 PM

171821hp2.jpg

Former Chelsea coach Andre Villas-Boas has informed Barcelona that he will be available to succeed Pep Guardiola at the helm of the club, Sport claims.

It is believed that Villas-Boas' entourage has contacted Barca in an unofficial manner to let the Blaugrana know about the 34-year-old's availability.

Villas-Boas took over from Chelsea last summer after guiding Porto to four titles in 2010-11, but he was sacked by the Blues following a run of three Premier League victories in 12 games.

He has been strongly linked with Inter's hot-seat, but such reports have cooled following Andrea Stramaccioni's positive start at San Siro.

The Portuguese coach has now reportedly turned his attention to the Catalan club as doubts remain about Guardiola's Blaugrana future.

The 41-year-old, whose Barca contract expires at the end of the season, stated after the club's Champions League elimination against Chelsea that he would decide his future 'in the next few days'.

It is understood, however, that if Guardiola decides against extending his stay at the club,Athletic Bilbao coach Marcelo Bielsa is red-hot favourite to be the Spaniard's successor.

Spanish sources claim that Guardiola will address the media alongside club president Sandro Rosell on Friday morning after the team's training session.

Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

123573_thumb.jpg

'As a Barcelona fan, I do not like that Guardiola has left' - Joan Gaspart
The former Barca supremo has mixed feelings about the coach's decision to leave Camp Nou following a successful four years at the club

142892_thumb.jpg

Pedro Leon: Jose Mourinho will not leave Real Madrid, so I will stay at Getafe
The Spanish midfielder is unwilling to return to the Santiago Bernabeu with the Portuguese in charge and has set his sights on an extension to his loan deal

170109_thumb.jpg

Del Bosque: I understand Guardiola's decision to leave Barcelona
The World Cup-winning coach did not wish to question his compatriot's decision, while admitting that he will evaluate Fernando Torres' place in the national team

111272_thumb.jpg

Pep Guardiola had already told me about his plans, says Brescia president Gino Corioni
The president of the Serie B outfit was not surprised with the Spaniard's decision and said that he expects the coach to take charge of a national team next

132529_thumb.jpg

Stoichkov: Perhaps Guardiola did not have enough support from Barcelona
The retired Bulgarian striker is heartbroken to see the highly-rated coach depart Camp Nou, but notes that he expects the Blaugrana to remain at the top

182186_thumb.jpg

Guardiola dared to play a brand of football others were afraid to even attempt, claims Lillo
The Blaugrana have drawn comparisons with the finest sides of all time and the former Almeria boss believes that his friend's bravery was integral to their development

163104_thumb.jpg

'Football I have never seen before' - Stars from around the footballing world salute outgoing Barcelona boss Guardiola
The 41-year-old coach will be taking a break from the game at the end of the season, and pundits and players alike have been lining up to pay tribute to his achievements

181471_thumb.jpg

Chelsea boss Di Matteo hails Guardiola in wake of Barcelona resignation
The Italian, whose future at Stamford Bridge is still uncertain with a Champions League final next month, doubts the Spaniard will ever repeat his achievements at the Nou Camp

Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pedro Leon: Jose Mourinho will not leave Real Madrid, so I will stay at Getafe

The Spanish midfielder is unwilling to return to the Santiago Bernabeu with the Portuguese in charge and has set his sights on an extension to his loan deal

Apr 27, 2012 11:30:00 PM

By Luis Mira

142892hp2.jpg

Real Madrid-owned Pedro Leon has declared that he is likely to stay at Getafe on loan beyond the end of the season.

The 25-year-old winger returned to Getafe last summer on a season-long loan deal after falling out with Madrid coach Jose Mourinho during his first year at the Santiago Bernabeu.

The Portuguese coach has indicated that he will stay at Madrid if he continues to have the board's trust, and Leon feels there is no room for him at the club as long as Mourinho is in charge.

"In my contract with Getafe there is a clause which says that the deal could be extended, but up to this date, I do not know what will happen and I have not spoken with anyone about it," he told a press conference.

"For what is coming out in the press, it seems that Madrid's coach will stay.

"This is the same situation as last year, so I will stay here."

Leon then spoke of his relief to be once again fully fit as a series of injuries has restricted him to just nine competitive appearances since the start of the season.

"Yes, this has been a difficult year, with a lot of bad luck," he noted. "After my last knee injury, it has been more than a month since I have been included in a squad for match.

"But I am here to try to help Getafe in the four matches remaining. We have to keep in mind that if we win three of them, we will compete in Europe next season."

Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'As a Barcelona fan, I do not like that Guardiola has left' - Joan Gaspart

The former Barca supremo has mixed feelings about the coach's decision to leave Camp Nou following a successful four years at the club

Apr 28, 2012 12:40:00 AM

By Luis Mira

123573hp2.jpg

Former Barcelona president Joan Gaspart has declared that he is at a crossroad when it comes to Pep Guardiola's resignation.

The Spanish coach announced on Friday at a press conference that he will not extend his stay at Camp Nou as he enters the final months of his contract with the Catalan club.

"As a former president and vice-president of Barca, I understand him," Gaspart told COPE Barcelona.

"I know Pep very well and I understand that he has made a decision that he thinks is good for the club and for him.

"But as a Barca fan, the story is different: I do not like it.

"I do not like to think than in over 120 years of Barca's history, this is the first time that a coach leaves us, without the fans wanting him to leave."

Guardiola will hand the reins of the team over to his assistant, Tito Vilanova, but Gaspart did not wish to be drawn into comparing the two.

"The new coach will be Tito Vilanova, not Pep Guardiola/Tito Vilanova," he noted. "It will be a new coach, with his own personality.

"And Guardiola will surely wish that his friend Tito Vilanova becomes an even better coach than him, if possible."

Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Pep Guardiola had already told me about his plans, says Brescia president Gino Corioni

The president of the Serie B outfit was not surprised with the Spaniard's decision and said that he expects the coach to take charge of a national team next

Apr 27, 2012 8:25:00 PM

By Luis Mira

111272hp2.jpg

Brescia president Gino Corioni has revealed that he had been informed by Pep Guardiola that he would leave Barcelona at the end of the season.

Guardiola announced earlier on Friday at a press conference that he will not sign a new contract with Barcelona, ending a very successful four-year association with the club he also represented as a player.

The 41-year-old has strong ties with Brescia after playing at the Italian club, and Corioni has declared that the Spaniard told him about his plans.

"He had already told me that he was going to take a year out," he told Tuttomercatoweb. "He is a very smart person and he realised he had no more motivation after four years.

"He seemed calm and normal. I think that it is likely that he will be out for a year, and not work for any club. I believe he wants to take charge of a big national team.

"Tito Vilanova? I am not surprised because he still had a contract with Barcelona. They looked for an internal solution.

"I do not think it will be a big problem for Barca, the players are there, though they certainly played the best football under Guardioa. Poetry and sentiment are important, but so are results."

Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Del Bosque: I understand Guardiola's decision to leave Barcelona

The World Cup-winning coach did not wish to question his compatriot's decision, while admitting that he will evaluate Fernando Torres' place in the national team

Apr 27, 2012 10:25:00 PM

By Luis Mira

170109hp2.jpg

Spain head coach Vicente Del Bosque has expressed sympathy for Pep Guardiola following his decision to leave Barcelona at the end of the season.

The 41-year-old coach announced earlier on Friday that he has decided not to prolong his stay at Camp Nou because of the tiring nature of the job, after guiding the club to 13 titles over the last four years.

"Pep has made a decision as a Barcelona man and there is nothing to do but accept what he has done," Del Bosque is quoted by EFE as saying.

"He thinks that this is the best for him and for Barca. I understand him and I wish him the best."

Guardiola's assistant, Tito Vilanova, has been confirmed as Barca's coach for 2012-13, but Del Bosque refused to comment on the appointment.

"I am no one to get involved with decisions that belong to clubs," he noted.

Del Bosque also gave his opinion about the Champions League eliminations of Real Madrid and Barcelona, admitting that they damage the Spain national team ahead of this summer's European Championship.

"I wish both clubs had progressed and played in the final," the 61-year-old said. "They deserved it.

"A return for Fernando Torres? I have time to evaluate his situation and make a decision.

"He is competing against players who have been doing very well, so we will try to be as fair as possible."

Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Football I have never seen before' - Stars from around the footballing world salute outgoing Barcelona boss Guardiola

The 41-year-old coach will be taking a break from the game at the end of the season, and pundits and players alike have been lining up to pay tribute to his achievements

Apr 27, 2012 5:35:00 PM

163104hp2.jpg

After months of speculation, Pep Guardiola announced on Friday that he would indeed be stepping down from his role as Barcelona coach at the end of the season.

Since taking up the reins at Camp Nou four years ago, the Catalans have bewildered their opponents with their sublime brand of passing football, racking up 13 titles in the process.

So, what next for Guardiola? Well, it seems as if he is set to take a well-earned break from the stress and strain of coaching one of the biggest clubs in world football.

Several prominent figures from within the game have already taken to the internet to express their gratitude to the 41-year-old for cultivating one of the finest sides of all time.

"Well done to Guardiola," exclaimed former Manchester United defender Gary Neville onTwitter. "Football that I have never seen before! Magic..."

Dutch legend Ruud Gullit was next to weigh in, singing the Spaniard's praises but at the same time wondering how on earth he will top what he has achieved in Catalunya.

"We have to thank #Guardiola for the great years of football he gave us with Barcelona. I will take my hat off.

"Difficult to go somewhere else for Pep. It can only go downhill. Or he has to take #Messi with him," he continued.

However, despite his admiration for Guardiola, the former Stamford Bridge idol would not like to see the Spaniard take up residence in London.

"I like Pep as a coach but I want #RDM as coach for CHELSEA."

It wasn't long before the men who had served under Pep began to post their own online tributes to their departing boss.

"Thanks so much for everything, Pep. You've taught us the way. A huge hug," Blaugrana skipper Carles Puyol announced.

Soon after, Puyol's central defensive partner Gerard Pique left a similar message to Guardiola on his own Twitter account.

"Thanks a lot Pep for giving us so much ... Four years full of victories, happy times, and above all, lessons in football."

Thiago Alcantara, who rose through the Barcelona ranks and made his mark in first team under Guardiola, was next to express his gratitude towards his coach.

"You reached the summit of football and you'll stay there forever. We're eternally grateful. THANK YOU PEP!" the Spain international wrote.

Cesc Fabregas had always been vocal in his admiration for Guardiola, and he too heaped praise on his boyhood hero, but added that he was looking forward to working closely with new coach Tito Vilanova.

"Although we've only been together for one year, it feels as though it has been much longer. Pep, my childhood idol, and my inspiration as coach. Thanks for the time we've spent together, I'll value it forever.

"For Tito, I wish the best in this new opportunity that football has given to him. We were together when I was a kid, and he is not just a great person but also an excellent manager."

Andres Iniesta, meanwhile, logged into Facebook to comment on an old photo of a jovial Guardiola giving him some sage advice during a training session.

"Today our manager has given us the news and just I want to give thanks to him and his team for these years," the midfielder stated. "But we cannot forget that season is still in active."

Indeed, Barca's players will be hoping to give their outgoing coach the send-off he deserves by prolonging the Liga title race for as long as possible and beating Athletic Bilbao in next month's Copa del Rey final to secure Guardiola a 14th title in four wonderful seasons.

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barcelona plan to visit Thailand next year after signing three-year sponsorship deal with Thai Beverage company

The Catalan side had initially planned to visit Thailand this summer, but the 2012 European Championship has made them to postpone their Asian trip

Apr 28, 2012 3:59:00 AM

By Eric Noveanto

177057hp2.jpg

Barcelona have announced a schedule to visit Thailand next year after signing a three-year €12 million sponsorship deal with Thai Beverage company.

Barcelona vice-president Javier Faus confirmed the tour and said he wanted to expand the club's fanbase in Asia especially South-East Asia.

"Asia is a huge opportunity for us. We now have more fans in Asia than in Europe. So we'll focus on the region for the next 10-20 years," said Faus as quoted by The Nation.

"We're delighted that Thailand has become the first Asian country to support us. I hope that with the deal our fanbase in Thailand will understand what Barcelona is."

He added: "At a global level, we hope to contribute value back to society as well,"

ThaiBev marketing manager Sorrakit Latitham also stated that the company would be more than happy to help arrange the schedule trip for the Catalan side which is regarded as the best team on the world currently.

"Chang beer and Thai people are delighted and honoured to be part of arguably the best team in the world," he said.

"We're not just a sponsor, we're your partner. And, in line with our chairman's philosophy, we believe in a long-term partnership.

"We're very happy to be part of your set-up and we hope that you will accept us as a member of your family too. We hope one day to be able to return the hospitality when you visit our country."

The Spanish champions initially had planned to visit Thailand this European summer but it was postponed due to the tight schedule of their players in the Olympics and Euro 2012.

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga preview: Real, Barca out for revenge

28 April 2012

12427375930.jpg

Real Madrid and Barcelona will look to bounce back from UEFA Champions League heartbreak in this weekend's La Liga action. Real and Barca - the two giants of Spanish football - were knocked out of the semi-finals in Europe's premier club competition by Bayern Munich and Chelsea respectively in mid-week.

For Jose Mourinho's Real Madrid outfit, they can take some solace in the fact that barring a miracle, they will lift their first La Liga title in four years at the season's end.
Real lead Barcelona by seven points on the table with just four matches to play and they can move another step towards securing the title with victory against Sevilla on Sunday.

"We need to go out on Sunday with pride," Mourinho said in the build-up to the Santiago Bernabeu fixture.
"It is disappointing to have gone out (of the Champions League) because of all the work we put in but now we have four games to finish our season and it is down to us. If we win the championship then it will have been a good season."

Mourinho also clarified the situation surrounding his future, saying that he will continue in his post at the club.
A similar statement has not been heard from Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola though, with an announcement on his future expected Friday. After winning the Spanish Super Cup and the FIFA Club World Cup last year, 2012 has not treated Barca kindly.

Winning the league looks beyond them and their semi-final exit to Chelsea - a tie which they led 2-1 on aggregate, with their opponents reduced to 10 men at the Camp Nou - will sting for some time.
They should get back to winning ways when they visit Rayo Vallecano on Sunday though and Guardiola's men still have another opportunity to add to the trophy cabinet when they play Athletic Bilbao on May 25 in the Copa del Rey final.

Also on Sunday, the race for third could be decided at La Rosaleda when fourth-placed Malaga (52 points) host the side directly above them, Valencia (55 points), while Athletic Bilbao travel to Real Zaragoza and Real Betis welcome the visit of Atletico Madrid.
Levante, who sit fifth, are at home to Granada in the pick of Saturday's fixtures, which also see Sporting Gijon's battle for survival take them to Espanyol.

Getafe host Mallorca, Racing Santander visit Real Sociedad and Villarreal are at home to Osasuna in the other matches on Saturday.

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga wrap: Levante retake fourth spot

29 April 2012

12427376590.jpg

Levante have moved back into La Liga's Champions League spots with a 3-1 win over Granada, although Malaga can regain fourth this weekend.After a scoreless first half on Saturday, it took Levante just one second-half minute to score. After Valdo intercepted a loose pass, the Levante winger chipped a cross to Arouna Kone who headed the ball back across Granada's goalkeeper Julio Cesar for the opening goal of the game.

Odion Ighalo equalised for the visitors in the 67th minute but Levante were ahead just six minutes later when Xavi Torres thumped home a knock-down by Valdo from the edge of the penalty area.
After setting up the first two goals, Valdo got on the scoresheet himself when he headed Pedro's cross into the net in the 84th minute. The victory puts Levante into fourth spot in La Liga, which comes with a European Champions League qualifying spot.

The small club from near Valencia are on 52 points but Malaga, who have the same points total, can push Levante back to fifth with either a draw or a victory on Sunday.
Sporting Gijon could still be playing in La Liga next season after their 3-0 win away to Espanyol. Adrian Colunga put the visitors in front in the 48th minute with a shot from a tight angle before a mistake on the halfway line allowed Oscar Trejo to break free in the 70th minute to make the score 2-0.

Mate Bilic added a third for Gijon in the 80th minute when he brought down an aerial pass and finished calmly.
The win puts Gijon on 34 points with three games to go, still four points behind Villarreal who they play on Tuesday.Villarreal blew a 1-0 lead at home on Saturday to draw 1-1 with Osasuna. Bruno gave the home side the lead a minute before the break but Osasuna hit back in the 72nd minute through Raul Garcia.

In other La Liga results on Saturday, Mallorca defeated Getafe 3-1 and Real Sociedad ensured Racing Santander will be relegated with a 3-0 win.

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

142562_thumb.jpg

Fenerbahce pull out of race for Real Madrid's Diarra - report
Rumour had it that the Frenchman was on his way to Turkey to join the Yellow Canaries, but the Istanbul side now feel that the midfielder is too expensive

103028_thumb.jpg

Michel knows Real Madrid well and has a plan to stop them, claims Sevilla's Jesus Navas
The winger says the Blancos should not expect an easy encounter when the two sides meet on Sunday, as he is confident his boss is familiar enough with the capital club

156731_thumb.jpg

Racing Santander relegated from La Liga following defeat to Real Sociedad
Cantabria will be without a top-flight representative for the first time in a decade after the Verdiblancos became the first club of 2011-12 to drop out of the division on Saturday

182302_thumb.jpg

Fatigue is no problem for Real Madrid as they have so much depth, says Sevilla's Coke
The defender spoke exclusively to Goalcom about the upcoming clash with Jose Mourinho's men on Sunday, and feels Los Blancos will be back to their best

159872_thumb.jpg

Alba to be Vilanova's first signing at Barcelona - report
The 42-year-old, who is set to replace Pep Guardiola in the summer, wants to bolster the Catalans' rear guard, and has made the left-back his top priority

119548_thumb.jpg

'Guardiola’s history now, while the league will continue forever' - Karanka
The former Madrid defender has urged the public to move on after the Catalan trainer's resignation, stating that football will continue even if the 41-year-old is not part of it

164024_thumb.jpg

Beckham: Guardiola deserves everything he has achieved
The former Real Madrid and Manchester United man was full of praise for the trainer, highlighting his incredible character and mettle, and wished him all the best in the future

130704_thumb.jpg

Paris Saint-Germain reportedly in talks with Kaka and Higuain
The Ligue 1 outfit are keen to bolster their attacking options in the summer and have apparently set their sights on the South American pair

176881_thumb.jpg

Puyol: Guardiola departure is a heavy blow
The Spanish defender was shocked to learn that the coach will leave the club in the summer and insisted there is no bad blood between the 41-year-old and Lionel Messi

179906_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid on the verge of signing new Adidas deal until 2020 - report
It is believed that the Santiago Bernabeu outfit have agreed to extend the agreement with the German sports-clothing manufacturer, in what will be an improved deal

182060_thumb.jpg

Neuer: I knew how Cristiano Ronaldo would take his penalty
The Bayern Munich custodian saw footage of the Portuguese attacker taking spot-kicks prior to the Champions League fixture and was confident he would send his shot to the left

182188_thumb.jpg

He'll be back: Barcelona lament loss of Guardiola as England and Italy await in future, but they will see his like again
The 41-year-old will leave Camp Nou at the end of the season but even though he is destined to try his luck abroad, the former Blaugrana midfielder will eventually return home

170731_thumb.jpg

Higuain set to discuss Real Madrid future - report
The 24-year-old striker is unhappy with his lack of playing time in the last few months and wants to know if he can be more involved in team affairs going forward

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

In Pictures: Hair today, gone tomorrow - how stress took its toll on Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola

The 41-year-old admitted that the exhaustive nature of the job was the main reason behind his decision to step down, and he has certainly aged over the years

Apr 28, 2012 9:00:00 AM

The day has come. After an extremely successful four-year spell, Pep Guardiola has made the decision to say goodbye to Barcelona. After losing to Chelsea in the semi-finals of the Champions League, the man who revolutionised football has opted to say farewell to the club of his life.

Despite all the successes, it was not always easy for Guardiola; the tension, pressure and incessant media responsibilities transformed a fresh-faced, neatly-coiffed coach, into a haggard, thinning version of his former self.

Goalcom reveals the price of perfection, chronicling Pep's appearance and disappearing hair, from his appointment in 2008 until Friday's announcement of his departure. This is what bossing the best club side in the world can do ...

31779hp2.jpg

Back in black | Suave and smiling as he accepts the post in 2008

61114hp2.jpg

Success brings stubble | Winning the treble in 2009 thickened out his facial hair

96743hp2.jpg

Thinning in the rain | More trophies, but the hairline heads backwards

145023hp2.jpg

Gaining grey | His complexion begins to show the strain of his obsession

167981hp2.jpg

On the brink | Pep appears weary after defeats to Real Madrid and Chelsea

182186hp2.jpg

Goodbye, and Gracias |
Older, balder, greyer, he calls time on his Barca tenure

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

109043_thumb.jpg

LFP denies reports of match-fixing in La Liga
It had been claimed on Sunday that Sporting Gijon's 3-0 victory over Espanyol at the Cornella-El Prat the day before was one of the games under suspicion

182919_thumb.jpg

Afellay happy to return for Barcelona after injury layoff
The 26-year-old attacking midfielder is finally fit again after tearing his ACL in training last September and is now looking forward to proving himself to Tito Vilanova

173085_thumb.jpg

Arbeloa hopes Real Madrid and Cristiano Ronaldo continue to break records
The former Liverpool defender is keen to see the team keep up their form as Los Blancos need nine points from their remaining games to reach the century mark

182929_thumb.jpg

Normal service resumes: Barcelona recover from tumultuous week but it's Real Madrid who close in on La Liga
The Blaugrana rediscovered their groove by putting seven past Rayo, but it's Mourinho's side who are closest to league glory as both teams bounced back from midweek horrors

182929_thumb.jpg

Alves and Thiago apologise for Barcelona goal celebration during win over Rayo Vallecano
The Blaugrana duo courted controversy for celebrating in a provocative manner after the Spain Under-21 midfielder scored his side's fifth in Sunday's 7-0 demolition at the Vallecas

181365_thumb.jpg

Barcelona displayed strength and enthusiasm against Rayo Vallecano, claims Pedro
The winger is delighted by the manner in which his side bounced back from their recent disappointments, and added the team hope to lift the Copa del Rey for Pep Guardiola

182188_thumb.jpg

Barcelona will continue to be competitive under Vilanova, affirms Guardiola after beating Rayo Vallecano
The 41-year-old is confident that the good times will continue to roll at Camp Nou when he passes the reins onto his assistant, while he also commented on Sunday's resounding win

170113_thumb.jpg

Emery admits Valencia's defeat to Malaga was a 'just' result
The Basque trainer put the loss down to the dismissal of Sofiane Feghouli on the hour mark, as he felt the incident shot down any chance Los Che once had of picking up points

181226_thumb.jpg

Vidal 'proud' of Real Madrid interest but insists he is happy at Juventus
The Chilean admits he is pleased to form part of the Blancos' reported transfer wishlist in the summer, but says he wants to continue representing the colours of the Old Lady

166312_thumb.jpg

Sergio Ramos refuses to dwell on missed Champions League penalty
The defender missed a decisive spot-kick at the Santiago Bernabeu on Wednesday night but he was back at the same venue on Sunday turning in a typically commanding display

174458_thumb.jpg

Karanka salutes Real Madrid's character after Sevilla win: Players were tired and sad but still did what they had to do
The former Blancos centre-half admitted that Jose Mourinho's men were emotionally and physically drained after facing Barcelona and Bayern Munich in their two previous games

181755_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid's Casillas buoyed by important win over Sevilla after 'harsh blow' against Bayern
Los Blancos are now 10 points clear at the top of the Primera Division and will be crowned champions should second-placed Barcelona lose at Rayo Vallecano on Sunday evening

181045_thumb.jpg

Neymar is has overtaken Messi as world's best, says Clodoaldo
The former Santos defensive midfielder feels that the difference between the pair is that even when his compatriot has an off day, he still manages to influence the game

122002_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid join race for Biglia - report
The Argentina international has previously been linked with a number of Premier League clubs, and has now seemingly attracted the interest of Los Blancos

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

174108_thumb.jpg

Neymar is already better than Cristiano Ronaldo, says Luis Fabiano
The Brazilian believes that the 20-year-old has already surpassed the Portuguese, but must move to Europe in order to compete with Lionel Messi

160377_thumb.jpg

Alexis Sanchez doubtful for Malaga clash - report
The Chile international has picked up a thigh injury and may not be fit enough to feature for the Blaugrana midweek when they entertain the Andalusians

139221_thumb.jpg

Cazorla: Barcelona are still the best team in the world
The former Villarreal man thinks that the Catalans are the greatest footballing side on the planet even if they are set to lose their Spanish and European titles

159771_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid's Granero wary of being 'embarrassed' by Athletic Bilbao again
The 24-year-old midfielder has admitted that Los Blancos were made to look silly by Marcelo Bielsa's men during their clash at the Santiago Bernabeu back in January

173429_thumb.jpg

Barcelona plot summer swoop for Athletic Bilbao's Llorente - report
Frustrated by their Champions League defeat to Chelsea, the Catalans have decided they require a traditional centre forward, and believe that the Spain international fits the bill

176558_thumb.jpg

Benzema eyes Liga title with Real Madrid after Champions League dejection
The France international has confessed that Los Blancos' semi-final European elimination came as a bitter blow but insists that Jose Mourinho's men are already over it

176176_thumb.jpg

Athletic Bilbao's De Marcos: We will fight to the death in our two finals
The 23-year-old midfielder has issued a rallying cry by telling the Basque supporters that they are going to give everything to emerge victorious from both showpiece events

122365_thumb.jpg

Muniain looking to delay Real Madrid's title party
The 19-year-old striker is eager to pick up points against Los Blancos in a bid to halt the league leaders' hopes of lifting the Primera Division trophy in midweek

161328_thumb.jpg

Appointing Vilanova as coach was the best option for Barcelona, says Henk ten Cate
The 57-year-old trainer insists that the Blaugrana have made the right decision in opting for the club's current No.2 to lead them in the 2012-13 campaign

174675_thumb.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo: Never say never to Italy move
The Portuguese attacker has refused to rule out a switch to the Italian top flight, while also claiming that Jose Mourinho is the best coach in world football

162919_thumb.jpg

Pinto: We all wanted Guardiola to stay at Barcelona
The veteran shot stopper reveals that he was disappointed with the 41-year-old's decision to leave, but he is now looking forward to playing under Tito Vilanova

180385_thumb.jpg

Calderon attacks Real Madrid over handling of Raul departure
The ex-club supremo hit out at Los Blancos for their treatment of the striker, and was particularly critical of Florentino Perez for going against the 34-year-old's wishes

157353_thumb.jpg

Barcelona should help Messi become top scorer, says Busquets
The Spain international has urged the Blaugrana to do everything they can to assist the Argentine claim the Pichichi should the team relinquish their league title

177778_thumb.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi neck and neck in race for Golden Shoe
The Argentine and Portuguese forwards are levelled on 43 league goals for the season, as they both netted to help their respective clubs to victories at the weekend

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho wants Zidane out of Real Madrid - report

The Portuguese originally brought in the former playmaker to actively involve himself in team affairs, but his transition to sporting director has not gone down well with the coach

Apr 30, 2012 7:25:00 PM

183024hp2.jpg

Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho will attempt to force out sporting director Zinedine Zidane at the end of the season, according to Cadena SER.

The France legend returned to Los Blancos as an advisor to incoming president Florentino Perez three years ago, but just months after Mourinho's appointment in May 2010, the Portuguese requested that the Frenchman become involved in first-team affairs.

However, Zidane's appointment as sporting director at the start of the season has reportedly not worked out to Mourinho’s satisfaction.

"There are claims that he does nothing, there is not a word from him, no action," Spanish journalist Jose Ramon de la Morena told the radio station.

"Mourinho was looking for someone to crack down against bad referees. He needs someone 'worse' than him."

Mourinho is understood to have the full support of Perez, who has repeatedly expressed his desire to see out their project together.

Last year Real Madrid sacked general manager Jorge Valdano after the 56 year old's relationship with the Spanish giants' coaching staff, especially Jose Mourinho, deteriorated.

The Blancos face Athletic Bilbao at the San Mames on Wednesday and could tie up the Primera Division title with a win against the Basques.

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

41146_thumb.jpg

My dream is to play in Spain, reveals Real Madrid target Biglia
Los Blancos have reportedly identified the Argentina international as the ideal man to replace Lassana Diarra, who is set to depart the Spanish capital in the summer

156552_thumb.jpg

Messi is better than Ronaldo because he's in love with the ball, claims Cruyff
The Dutch legend believes that the diminutive Argentine is technically superior to his Portuguese rival, and also backed Pep Guardiola's decision to step down as Blaugrana boss

181589_thumb.jpg

Barcelona hoping to raise €100 million for summer spending spree - report
The Blaugrana have lost their grip on their European and Spanish titles this season but are now planning to splash the cash during the upcoming transfer window

164018_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid will be worthy winners of La Liga, admits Bielsa
The Argentine coach is a massive fan of Barcelona's footballing philosophy but he concedes that Los Blancos have been the dominant side in Spain over the past nine months

178356_thumb.jpg

We still believe we can finish fourth, insists Simeone
The Rojiblancos have fallen six points behind fourth-placed Malaga with just three games to go, but their Argentine coach is refusing to throw in the towel

183356_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid want me, confirms Werder Bremen's Wiese
The 30-year-old Germany international will be a free agent at the end of the season and has previously been linked with Inter and AC Milan, as well as Los Blancos

180083_thumb.jpg

Barcelona to face Malaga without Alexis Sanchez
The attacker has been ruled out of Wednesday's league encounter due to a thigh problem, as tests confirmed that he won't be able to feature

91955_thumb.jpg

Zidane watches Montpellier's Belhanda against Evian
The Real Madrid sporting director visited Tuesday's Ligue 1 game for a number of reasons, with the attacking midfielder believed to be one of them

170022_thumb.jpg

Guardiola: Mourinho had nothing to do with my exit from Barcelona
The successful Catalan coach has insisted that his Real Madrid counterpart played no role in his decision to leave the Camp Nou side at the end of the season

148919_thumb.jpg

Turkish computer hackers fake Fabio Bilica's transfer to Mallorca
The Brazilian defender was reported to be leaving Turkey for the Spanish side at the end of the season, but it has now been revealed it was an internet joke by hackers

171205_thumb.jpg

Abidal befriends son of surgeon with Down's Syndrome
The former Olympique Lyonnais defender is currently recovering from surgery and reports from Spain claim he has made a new friend in the form of Dr. Valdecasas' son

168467_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: I hope Guardiola enjoys his time off and I send him a big hug from here
The Portuguese surprised many by speaking at the club's press conference on Tuesday and showed plenty of respect to his rival who will be taking some time away from the game

182929_thumb.jpg

Barcelona & Real Madrid the highest-paying sports clubs in the world
The Clasico rivals have been identified as the biggest-spending sports teams on the planet in terms of average pay packets with another five European football sides in the top 10

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Turkish computer hackers fake Fabio Bilica's transfer to Mallorca

The Brazilian defender was reported to be leaving Turkey for the Spanish side at the end of the season, but it has now been revealed it was an internet joke by hackers

May 1, 2012 7:10:00 PM

By Luke Matthews

148919hp2.jpg

A Turkish group of computer experts hacked into Mallorca's official website to publish a fake story stating that Fenerbahce's Fabio Bilica would join the Spanish outfit this summer.

Many believed the news was genuine until Mallorca later pulled down the article and GoalcomTurkey state that the group behind the incident are 'Inzi Sozluk'.

The group are also the founders of Istanbul BB's fan group, the Grey Owls, with Inzi Sozluk choosing to support the team due to them being one of the smaller sides in the Turkish city.

It is understood that the group targeted Fenerbahce due to their profile as one of the biggest teams in Turkey.

Neither Fenerbahce nor Mallorca are yet to speak out about the incident yet somewhat ironically, Turkish media expect Bilica to leave his current side this summer.