• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

La Liga Season 2011/2012

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

712891_10_preview.jpg
Pressure mounting on Atletico Madrid
Atletico Madrid coach Gregorio Manzano finds himself in the spotlight as the Rojiblancos attempt to avoid an embarrassing early Copa del Rey exit to third tier side Albacete this week.

567910_10_preview.jpg

Van der Wiel: I'm joining Valencia

Ajax fullback Gregory van der Wiel has confirmed that he has agreed personal terms with Valencia in a deal that will see him ply his trade at the Mestalla until 2017.

725120_10_preview.jpg

Ramos ruled out until next year
Real Madrid defender Sergio Ramos is expected to be ruled out until the new year after being diagnosed with a grade one hamstring injury.

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Messi closes in on Maradona

19 December 2011

12427307360.jpg

Juan Roman Riquelme said Lionel Messi is slowly replacing Diego Maradona as Argentine football's main character.

The 33-year-old Boca Juniors midfielder said Maradona is rated the best player ever by Argentines of older generations, but Messi has taken his place with the younger football fans.

"I was lucky enough to grow up during the era of Diego Maradona, who all Argentinians consider the greatest player ever," Riquelme told the FIFA website.

"After watching him play I used to run out onto the street with my mates, get the ball and pretend that I was him. I'd be commentating on myself and saying 'Maradona has the ball', stuff like that."

"Now that's what my son's like with Lionel Messi. He starts kicking the ball and saying 'Messi's on the ball'."

"For people my age, Maradona is the main man. But for younger generations, like my boy, Messi's their hero."

Riquelme has won more than 50 caps for Argentina and lifted the Apertura title with Boca Juniors earlier this month.

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sevilla president jailed for fraud

19 December 2011

12427307420.jpg

Sevilla president Jose Maria del Nido has been sentenced to seven-and-a-half years in prison.

Del Nido was found guilty of fraud, corruption and embezzlement in the 'Minutas' case by the court of Malaga.

The offences took place between 1999 and 2003 when he worked as lawyer for the municipality of Marbella.

The prosecutor had demanded 30 years in prison for Del Nido, but the court decided to settle for the lesser sentence.

Del Nido took charge at Sevilla in 2002 and has since won two UEFA Cups, the UEFA Supercup, two Copa del Rey and the Spanish Supercopa.

The court of Malaga has also sentenced former Marbella mayor Julian Munoz to seven-and-a-half years in prison for the same offences, while former adviser Juan Antonio Roca was sentenced to four years behind bars.

Nuri Sahin

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

725621_10_preview.jpg
Agent: Nilmar close to Roma move
The agent of Villarreal forward Nilmar reveals a move to Serie A outfit Roma is very close to completion.

692772_10_preview.jpg
Alba calls for Valencia caution
Valencia left-back Jordi Alba has warned his team-mates to avoid complacency as they establish their grip on third place in La Liga.

723658_10_preview.jpg
Albiol agent reveals Bundesliga interest
The agent of Real Madrid defender Raul Albiol has revealed a number of Bundesliga sides have expressed interest in his client's services.

725416_10_preview.jpg
David Villa grateful for support
Barcelona striker David Villa has thanked friends and fans for the support he has received and vowed to return as swiftly as possible from his broken shinbone.

725384_10_preview.jpg
Mourinho: We'd rule anywhere else
Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho claims that his side would easily win the league title in any other country but Spain this season.

722865_10_preview.jpg

David Villa undergoes surgery
Barcelona striker David Villa has undergone surgery on his broken shinbone and, as expected, is set to be sidelined for between four and five months.

Nuri Sahin

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manzano confident in Atletico future

21 December 2011

12427308420.jpg

Atletico Madrid boss Gregorio Manzano says he has no fear of losing his job, despite a run of four losses in seven games.Manzano is readying his side to face Segunda B side Albacete in the Copa del Rey on Wednesday, with Atletico trailing 2-1 after the first leg and league form casting a dark cloud over their coach's future.

Many tipped Atletico to be fighting for the Champions League positions this campaign, but a dip in form has seen them slip to 10th, prompting Manzano to bat away questions about his future.

"I will answer your question (about being sacked) by repeating something I've said a few times. I feel stronger than ever and I believe that my obligation as a professional in this club is to maintain my emotional balance, so I can show my players that what their manager says and does has coherence," Manzano said.

"I've been in this business for a long time and I have never let rumours intimidate me. (Wednesday) we have an important match that we want to win to get to the next phase. That's my only concern. The rest, to be honest, does not worry me."
"I've gone through very tough times, a lot tougher than this one."

"I've had losing streaks of five or six consecutive matches but then again I've also had winning streaks of seven consecutive matches."
"I am firm and strong in my position and I hope that I continue to be the Atletico manager until June 30. That's my objective and that's why I was hired. I've never felt out of a job in this club."

Atletico's form in Europe has been decidedly better - they will play Lazio in the last 32 of the Europa League when the competition resumes in February after progressing top of Group I.

Marcelo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Garrido sacked from Villarreal post

22 December 2011

12427309050.jpg

Villarreal have confirmed on their website that manager Juan Carlos Garrido has been relieved of his duties.

The sacking comes after the club's elimination on Wednesday from the Copa del Rey at the hands of minnows Mirandes, with Villarreal also battling in 17th position in La Liga.

In a press release, the club thanked Garrido for his efforts, but did not reveal information on his potential replacement.

Only goal difference separates Villarreal from La Liga's relegation zone, while the club also set a record for worst performance by a Spanish team in the Champions League after losing all six group-stage games.

Garrido had been appointed in February 2010, having previously had three stints with the club's B side.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Manzano sacked as Atletico boss
23 December 2011

12427309570.jpg

Atletico Madrid have sacked coach Gregorio Manzano after Wednesday's dismal Copa del Rey loss to Albacete.

Reports suggested the Atletico board had decided to fire Manzano after Sunday's La Liga loss at home to Real Betis, irrespective of the outcome of their mid-week meeting with the Segunda side.However, their embarrassing 1-0 loss at the Vicente Calderon has now sealed Manzano's fate, with the club releasing a statement on Thursday.

"The Executive Committee of Atletico Madrid, meeting today to discuss the sporting situation, unanimously decided to dismiss Gregorio Manzano as first team coach," the statement read."This decision has been communicated to the technician, with whom we reached an agreement for the termination of his contract."

"Atletico Madrid thanks Gregorio Manzano for the work done and wishes him well for the future."Former Liverpool and Inter Milan manager Rafael Benitez, who turned down Atletico in pre-season, is said to the club's preferred candidate to take over.

However, former Atletico midfielder Diego Simeone is now in the running after parting company with Racing Club on Tuesday.Manzano only arrived in the Spanish capital in June and despite leading Atletico into the knockout stages of the Europa League, he has come in from fierce criticism from the club's fans because of his side's inconsistent form in the league, in which they sit 10th.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Villarreal appoint Molina as new coach

23 December 2011

12427309620.jpg

Jose Molina will coach Villarreal for the rest of the season after Wednesday's sacking of manager Juan Carlos Garrido.

The 41-year-old former Spain goalkeeper, who had been in charge of the club's reserve team, steps in after Garrido was shown the door in the wake of Villarreal's Copa del Rey elimination at the hands of Segunda B outfit Mirandes.

Villarreal finished fourth in La Liga last season but have endured a nightmare start to this campaign, sitting in 17th place – just outside the relegation zone with three wins so far – and they have already been eliminated from the Champions League.

Molina represented Villarreal, Atletico Madrid and Deportivo La Coruna during his playing career, and he returned to Villarreal in 2009 to coach the outfit's third team.

The former goalkeeper's first game in charge is set for January 8, when Villarreal host Valencia in the Primera Division.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Simeone offered Atletico post

23 December 2011

12427309610.jpg

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo wants Diego Simeone to be the club's next coach.

Gregorio Manzano was relieved of his duties at the La Liga club on Thursday, but speculation linking Simeone with a return to Atletico has been building since the Argentine resigned from Racing Club in his homeland on Tuesday.

Cerezo, speaking in a press conference just hours after Manzano's dismissal, revealed that the former River Plate and Catania coach has been offered the job and that a deal could be done in the next two days.

"He is the one we all want here. He would love to come," Cerezo said.
"We have sent him an offer and now we have to negotiate. Between this Thursday and Friday we will have our answer."

According to Ole, Simeone is expected to sign a contract by the end of Thursday, with an initial deal to take him to the end of the 2011/12 season.

Simeone made 134 appearances for Atletico over two spells as a player, helping the club win the La Liga and Copa del Rey double in the 1995/96 campaign.

"I think that it is a great choice for him, above all because of the hope and love for him here which makes him want to come," Cerezo said.

Simeone took Racing to second in the 2011 Argentine Primera Division Apertura, before walking out due to a dispute with president-elect Gaston Cogorno and the club's current administration.

Marcelo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

727089_10_preview.jpg
Kaka: Barca are not unbeatable
Real Madrid midfielder Kaka insists Barcelona are not unbeatable while claiming Cristiano Ronaldo is a more complete player than Lionel Messi.

567261_10_preview.jpg
Atletico turn to Simeone
Atletico Madrid have moved quickly to replace sacked coach Gregorio Manzano by announcing the appointment of Diego Simeone as his replacement on an 18-month contract.

726921_10_preview.jpg
Real, Barca clash likely in Copa
Barcelona and Real Madrid are on course to meet in the quarter-finals of the Copa del Rey after the draw for the last 16 and latter rounds was made on Friday.

726827_10_preview.jpg
Pedro ready to make Barca impact
Barcelona forward Pedro is ready to overcome his recent injury problems and once again make an impact for the reigning La Liga and European champions.

710408_10_preview.jpg
Molina appointed Villarreal coach
Villarreal have confirmed the appointment of Jose Molina as their new manager.

726792_10_preview.jpg
Ozil dismisses Real exit talk
Real Madrid playmaker Mesut Ozil insists he is perfectly happy at the Santiago Bernabeu, and is not looking to leave the club any time soon.

710973_10_preview.jpg
Emery satisfied with Copa progress
Valencia coach Unai Emery was happy with his players after they booked their spot in the next round of the Copa del Rey with a 4-0 win over Cadiz on Thursday.

726664_10_preview.jpg
Juanlu suffers injury blow
Levante midfielder Juanlu looks set to be out for a lengthy spell after fracturing his right fibula during Wednesday night's Copa del Rey victory over Deportivo La Coruna.

660510_10_preview.jpg
Real Madrid deny interest in Fernandes
Real Madrid have denied any interest in signing Gremio midfielder Mario Fernandes.

726613_10_preview.jpg
Guardiola calm over new Barca deal
Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola has insisted his decision over a new contract is not dependent on the club continuing to win trophies.

Marcelo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

727887_10_preview.jpg
Pedro: Physical Madrid tough to beat
Barcelona forward Pedro thinks Real Madrid's greatest strength is their physicality.

727885_10_preview.jpg
Ozil: Mourinho like father to me
Mesut Ozil says Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho has developed into a father figure for his footballing career.

698934_10_preview.jpg

Prieto signs new Sociedad deal

Long-serving captain Xabi Prieto has agreed a four-year contract extension with Real Sociedad, the La Liga outfit have announced.

669207_10_preview.jpg
Gremio: Fernandes interested Madrid
Gremio president Paulo Odone has reiterated his stance that Spanish giants Real Madrid had enquired about defender Mario Fernandes.

692534_10_preview.jpg
Totti reveals Mourinho admiration
Roma captain Francesco Totti admits he would love to play under Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho before he calls time on his career.

589052_10_preview.jpg
Villa green-lighted to leave hospital
Barcelona striker David Villa was given the green light to leave hospital on Saturday after earlier this week undergoing an operation on his broken left shinbone.

727154_10_preview.jpg
Perez vows to deliver Real cheer
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has told supporters at a Christmas function that the club will fight with everything they've got to make their trophy dreams come true.

727152_10_preview.jpg
Fabregas: Pep talks unbelievable
Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas says the amount of things he has learned from coach Pep Guardiola since joining the club in the summer has been "unbelievable".

Marcelo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fabregas won't rule out Arsenal return
Cesc Fabregas has not ruled out a return to Arsenal later in his career and said the London club are the only team he would want to leave Barcelona for.

d6813099e9184d8986cb5c8029d45075.jpg

The 24-year-old midfielder returned to his childhood club in the summer after eight years at Arsenal.

"Apart from Arsenal and Barcelona, I don't see myself playing anywhere else," he told Sky Sports News.

"I will definitely be going back (to Arsenal) whenever I have time to watch games and to see the guys, and you never know in the future, why not?"

He added: "I hope I will stay here (Barcelona) for a very long time, and maybe even retire here, but why not? In life, you can never say never, and if there is one place to go back to, it is Arsenal for sure."

Fabregas admitted he had lost his motivation in the final season at the Emirates Stadium as Arsenal struggled, and he believed his captaincy was failing to inspire his team-mates.

"It looked like there was no real passion in the team to play," he said. "I've always tried my best to make the team go forward and I could see nothing I was saying was really working.

"I was going into training not feeling the same motivation as when I was 16 years old, and I felt a little bit stuck. I think everyone in life has a time when they need to start again."

But even so, Fabregas admitted it was a huge wrench to leave Arsenal. "It was very hard, the hardest decision I have ever made, even if it was my dream to play for Barcelona," he said.

"I'm not embarrassed to say the day I left all I could say (to Arsene Wenger) was thank you very much. I couldn't talk more. I'm not embarrassed to say I nearly cried. It was very emotional."

PA Sport

Marcelo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho eyes England return

<abbr class="date updated" title="2011-12-26T11:58:00+00:00" style="border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; ">Mon, 26 Dec 11:58:00 2011
</abbr>
Jose Mourinho has reiterated his desire to return to the Premier League "in a couple of years" once his time in charge of Real Madrid is over.

1839998fe9aff684247a9458c4ec0291.jpg

The former Chelsea manager has always been open about his love of the game in England and has long been linked with taking over Sir Alex Ferguson's role at Manchester United when the Scot decides to retire.

"I am very, very happy to be in Real Madrid. It is a great experience for me," Mourinho told BBC Radio Four's Today programme. "I believe it is probably the biggest club in the history of football, I didn't want to miss the chance to work here but my passion is England and my next step will be to go back, if possible go and stay for a long time."

He added: "Get me a club in a couple of years, get me a good club."
The 48-year-old is a renowned student of the game but he insists "individual genius" will always prevail regardless of the amount of preparation and organisation.

He said: "I think the genius will make always the difference. And the genius in my sport is about some unbelievable players that can break every organisation and every work you can do.
"Genius in managing also exists. For me in football the most important thing is man management. Football for me is a human science, it is about man."

Mourinho also agreed the prospect of human failure is one of the attractions of sport, saying: "Emotional intelligence is crucial at this level in every sport.

"It is one thing to take a penalty winning 5-0 in a friendly, another thing is to take a penalty kick in the last minute of the Champions League or World Cup final. I try to prepare my players the best I can but in the end of the day they are the guys that decide everything in the right moment. They make the difference."

"I analyse them in a group context always but I know they are all unique. This is an amazing experience - many of us don't want to quit, never. We want to go to the last day we can because this leadership becomes part of our life."

PA Sport

Ricardo Kaka

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

665018_10_preview.jpg
Iniesta wants Barca Ballon d'Or cheer
Barcelona midfielder Andres Iniesta is secretly hoping that club colleagues Lionel Messi or Xavi will pip club rival Cristiano Ronaldo for the 2011 FIFA Ballon d'Or honour.

643378_10_preview.jpg
Coentrao: Everything changed with Real
Real Madrid fullback Fabio Coentrao has hinted that he would not have left Benfica in the summer for any other side other than the nine-time European champions.

567261_10_preview.jpg
Simeone confident of reviving Atletico
Diego Simeone insisted he is unfazed by the prospect of turning around Atletico Madrid's faltering season after being formally unveiled as their new coach.

Ricardo Kaka

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Havenaar keen on Spain move

28 December 2011

12427311080.jpg

Japan striker Mike Havenaar has expressed a desire to one day play in Spain's La Liga after he has established himself in Europe.

The attacker, who scored 17 goals for J.League side Ventforet Kofu this season before deciding to move to Dutch outfit Vitesse, made the comments following an event revealing the new Samurai Blue strip for next year.

"Holland suits me, and little by little I want to grow as a player," Havenaar told reporters.
"If I can create some good results, I think offers (from countries such as Spain) will come."

The Hiroshima-born Havenaar, who speaks English and Dutch in addition to Japanese, will have little trouble adjusting to the new environment.

He will be joining Samurai Blue team-mate Michihiro Yasuda, who moved to Vitesse last winter.
Havenaar is scheduled to join his new squad on January 3.

Ricardo Kaka

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Prieto signs new deal with Sociedad

28 December 2011

12427311590.jpg

Real Sociedad captain Xabi Prieto has reached an agreement to extend his contract at the club until 2017.

The 28-year-old midfielder, who previously had a contract running until 2013, began his career in Spanish side's youth academy in 1997.

"Real Sociedad and Xabi Prieto have reached an agreement to renew his contract," reads a statement on the club's official website.

"The new agreement is for four years and means the midfielder will be tied to the club until June 30, 2017."

Having made his debut for Real's first team in 2003, Prieto has since made over 250 appearances for the club and has now set his sights on ending his career with them.

"Of course I would like to retire at Real (Sociedad) and today I have taken a step further toward that dream." he said.

Real Sociedad sit in 15th place on the La Liga table, just two points above the relegation zone.

Ricardo Kaka

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

French legends trumpet Beckham arrival

28 December 2011

12427311340.jpg

Zinedine Zidane is impressed with the way Paris Saint-Germain target David Beckham handles the extreme scrutiny he is under.The 36-year-old is widely expected to complete a high-profile move from the MLS to Ligue 1 in the coming days, with his contract in the US coming to an end on Saturday.

And Zidane, a former Real Madrid team-mate of Beckham's, has spoken in glowing terms of the 115-times-capped England midfielder's attitude in an interview with France Football.
"I don't know how he manages to be so at ease outwardly on the pitch. He is almost a pop star. I couldn't do that. It is incredible, especially given that he is as timid as me," Zidane said.

The Madrid director added that Beckham's arrival at the Bernabeu in 2003 made his own job easier in midfield.
"His arrival at Real made it possible to share the roles. I had less responsibility. In any case, that is the feeling I had," Zidane said.

"When he came to Real, he was worried about what the team thought of him. In his integration, he worried about everything that was said about him in the media, and that it would constitute a problem for his performances."
"But on the pitch, he has great technique and shows the combativeness typical of English players."

Another former team-mate of Beckham's, ex-Manchester United goalkeeper Fabien Barthez, also sung the praises of the former England skipper.
"On a professional level, he is very rigorous. He is a hard worker, and if you doubt it you must ask yourself why he is still playing football at his age," Barthez said.

"If he had not been committed, he wouldn't still be playing at close to 37 years of age."
"He isn't a complete footballer. He has a gift, that's for sure. He has his right foot and a resistant physique, but he runs little and dribbles even less.""On the other hand, his free-kicks are amazing, so too when he crosses with his right foot. He destabilises the defence. From free-kicks he hits the mark."

Beckham recently flew to Paris to meet club officials, with the curtain set to come down on his time with the Galaxy after their 2011 MLS Cup win last month.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Thursday 29th December 2011

700496_33_preview.jpg

Ronaldo: La Liga best in the world

Real Madrid ace Cristiano Ronaldo believes the Spanish La Liga is the best league in the world - not the Barclays Premier League.

The Portuguese forward shot to worldwide fame during his spell at Manchester United before joining Madrid on a £80 million move in 2009.

Speaking at the Dubai International Sports Conference, Ronaldo gave his analysis and comparison between two of the best leagues in the world. The 26-year-old credited the Premier League for instilling in him the basic foundation of the game.

"I follow the Portuguese championship, but I prefer the English Premier League, where I learnt the elementary basic rules of football, especially discipline," he was quoted as saying on ESPN.co.uk. However, he has no doubt which is the best league in the world.

He added: "I believe that La Liga is the best league worldwide, although I spent six years in the UK. Both championships are completely different to one another on technical levels. "But the Spanish league is exceptional. It relies more on personal and technical skills."

The Portugal international also took the opportunity to squash any speculation surrounding his future at Madrid, insisting he is 'enjoying the moment' at the Santiago Bernabeu. "I am a player and players can adapt to any league. I can play in any country. But I'm happy today with Real and will stay with them in the future.

"Frankly, I haven't thought about the next step. I'm just enjoying the moment and continuing to enjoy my football at Real Madrid. For the moment, Spain presents the greatest pleasure for me," he said. Ronaldo has been in sensational goalscoring form this season and tops the La Liga charts with 20 goals in just 16 league games.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

572240_10_preview.jpg
Santander coaching trio to continue
Racing Santander have confirmed the coaching trio of Juan Jose Gonzalez, Fede Castanos and Pablo Pinillos will remain in charge until the end of the season.

697050_10_preview.jpg

Joaquin ruled out for a month

Malaga winger Joaquin Sanchez is set to be sidelined for around four weeks due to a torn right thigh muscle, the Primera Division club have announced.

569971_10_preview.jpg
Aguirre sacked by Real Zaragoza
Javier Aguirre has had his contract as first-team coach of Real Zaragoza terminated, the La Liga club confirmed on Friday morning.

572197_10_preview.jpg
Reyes open to Sevilla return
Atletico Madrid forward Jose Antonio Reyes has revealed he would consider a return to former club Sevilla.

728663_10_preview.jpg
Alves not expecting much from Madrid
Barcelona full-back Dani Alves has sunk his teeth into rival Real Madrid by claiming that he does not expect much from Jose Mourinho's side in the second half of the season.

728656_10_preview.jpg

Cole: La Liga Mourinho's holy grail

Former Chelsea player Joe Cole believes that if Jose Mourinho can lead Real Madrid to the La Liga title it will go down as the greatest achievement by any manager ever.

728476_10_preview.jpg
Madrid move possible for Rodrigo
Benfica forward Rodrigo’s father has claimed that his son could rejoin Real Madrid in the near future.

725849_10_preview.jpg
Barcelona deny Neymar deal
Barcelona vice-president Jordi Cardoner has denied that the club have agreed a deal to first refusal rights Santos starlet Neymar da Silva.

572197_10_preview.jpg
Simeone keen for Reyes to stay
New Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone has revealed that he is planning to include midfielder Jose Antonio Reyes in the club's future.

728209_10_preview.jpg
Sanchez: I've done nothing yet
Barcelona new boy Alexis Sanchez admits he has "not done anything special" since joining from Udinese in the summer.

Helder Postiga

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Zaragoza part ways with Aguirre

30 December 2011

12427312610.jpg

La Liga strugglers Real Zaragoza have announced they have sacked manager Javier Aguirre.

The former Atletico Madrid and Osasuna coach, 53, had been under increasing pressure, following a disastrous run which has seen the club go winless in all competitions since October 17.

"Real Zaragoza would like to thank the professionalism and dedication shown by Javier Aguirre during the time in which he coached the team," a club statement read.

"However, the situation the team are going through called for an urgent change of direction, which is why this agreement has been reached.

"
Mexican Aguirre arrived at Zaragoza in November 2010 to replace Jose Aurelio Gay, leading the Aragonese outfit to a 13th-placed finish in La Liga. But with just 10 points from 16 matches, Zaragoza now sit at the foot of the table and are five points away from safety.

AS claims Spain Under-20 coach Luis Milla and former Getafe trainer Michel are frontrunners in the race to replace Aguirre.