• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Kiasu is now internationally recognized as a word!

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/k...y&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=TOD-8/20/2013

Definition of 'Kiasu'
A Chinese adjective used to describe a person's fear of losing out (to someone else). Kiasu is a traditional Chinese word, but is most popular in Singapore. It translates roughly as "scared to lose".

Investopedia Says
Investopedia explains 'Kiasu'

Kiasu describes being (or a person who is) greedy, unwilling to share, or competitive in order to advance one's self. Examples of Kiasu include driving aggressively to get to the front of a traffic line or registering young children early at top schools, prior even to knowing the child's aptitude. Kiasu describes the idea that one must outdo and outshine all others, have more of any given thing, pay the least amount for items (thereby getting the best deal) and always be the first or best.

This concept has been applied to such financial ideas as marketing campaigns, store sales and understanding market psychology.

jw5

Loyal
It will only be impressive when they include kiasee, kiaboh, kiabor and kiachenghu.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
this is an utter disgrace but some sinkies will no doubt feel proud

I remember a long ago, before the term Singlish was coined, those who spoke Singlish were described as having poor grammar, or spoke Bad English. These days, even DJs on English stations use Singlish quite often, and with acceptance. I suppose standards have dropped.

Cheers!

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
imagine Singlish being the lingua franca everywhere in the world... whoa... zorro will be laughing at his bestest joke ever :p:p:p

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I remember a long ago, before the term Singlish was coined, those who spoke Singlish were described as having poor grammar, or spoke Bad English. These days, even DJs on English stations use Singlish quite often, and with acceptance. I suppose standards have dropped.

Cheers!

The way to generate Singlish phrases is to take a phrase correctly spoken in Mandarin, and then translate it word-for-word into English. Try it!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
meanwhile, 加油 (jia you), a popular taiwanese cheerleading phrase for "adding fuel" or buckling up in sports, is fully embraced by oil companies such as shell, bp, exxon, conoco philips, valero, etc. wtf are the taiwanese thinking? they're not being eco-friendly. :p

king_of_abalone

Alfrescian
Loyal
meanwhile, 加油 (jia you), a popular taiwanese cheerleading phrase for "adding fuel" or buckling up in sports, is fully embraced by oil companies such as shell, bp, exxon, conoco philips, valero, etc. wtf are the taiwanese thinking? they're not being eco-friendly. :p

You mean "bucking up".

You do the "buckling up" in the car.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

China chinese use jia you too nigger so it's not exclusively taiwanese.