• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Khaw finally admits there's something wrong with EC scheme

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]Govt taking serious look at EC scheme[/h] <cite class="byline vcard" style="font-style: normal; color: rgb(125, 125, 125); font-size: 12px; font-family: Georgia, Times, 'Times New Roman', serif; vertical-align: middle; line-height: 2.2em; display: inline-block !important;">Property Guru – <abbr title="2013-04-29T06:01:26Z" style="border: 0px;">23 hours ago</abbr></cite>

By Nikki De Guzman:National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan said there is "something wrong somewhere" with the executive condominium (EC) scheme due to "a sense of inequity", and it cannot carry on in its current form.

At a recent dialogue on housing, Mr Khaw highlighted the significant gap in subsidies that EC buyers get compared to subsidies for those purchasing public housing, as well as the profit EC owners can make from reselling their units.

"There is a sense of inequity here. The lower-income groups are getting less subsidies than somebody who is earning S$12,000," he said, adding that this goes against the principle that HDB's subsidies should be progressive, and that the lower-income should get more. "We cannot carry on the ECs with these current rules." Moreover, sales of some super-sized ECs made headlines between December 2012 and January 2013, including one which surpassed the S$2 million mark. This prompted the government to limit their maximum size to 160 sq m, while several MPs urged the scrapping of the scheme.

However, Mr Khaw defended the scheme, saying it "protects middle-income Singaporeans from competition" and ensures a market-friendly way of allowing them to buy condominiums at affordable prices. Notably, first-time buyers of Build-to-Order (BTO) flats and ECs get grants from the HDB to offset the price of their units. The latter is also marketed and built by private developers rather than the housing board and its income ceiling is S$12,000 compared to S$10,000 for BTO flats. After 10 years, they become private property and can be sold to foreigners. Meanwhile, Mr Khaw said his Ministry will remain vigilant to any abuse of the scheme, promising to address the issue should it persist.

Nikki De Guzman, Junior Reporter at PropertyGuru, wrote this story. To contact her about this or other stories email [email protected]

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Something is wrong with these overpaid ministars!..when the 'short hylam' was in charge, "COW" never questioned all these in parliament?? now he says.."there is something wrong"??:p

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The thing is, if you stop now, those property flippers (who are PAP supporters) will be unhappy. And you never know what might happen in 2016. :wink:

Should have nipped it in the bud when Mah Bow Tan was in charge. What a deep hole the PAP has dug for itself! :cool:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
~~heh heh heh~~
what can you all do?
Fire me lor..!
heh heh heh~~

20110519.174044_mbt.jpg

vincenttan

Alfrescian
Loyal
When Garment did something wrong, just admit and can move on, but when a property agent didn't follow the proper procedures, license kena cheong kong lose rice bowl!!!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When Garment did something wrong, just admit and can move on, but when a property agent didn't follow the proper procedures, license kena cheong kong lose rice bowl!!!

Simple! property agent don't follow rules " bo cheng hu"..."garment" don't follow rules, " I am cheng hu" so what!:biggrin:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is another of the Cow's production of hot air and bull dust. He said HDB should get back to basics. So why is he not doing it? Why is HDB developing rubbish like EC? I mean EC is crap...like condo but not condo..to me a real condominium is 999 years or freehold. I know my relatives have never touch it. It just look nice and have facilities..but same restrictions as HDB flat. where the F is the logic?

This is another scam to suck more money from the people. 1 more thing..when the cow said HDB lose millions..than does this take into account HDB sales of EC? what is the profit margin of ECs?

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
EC is for those who want to look rich but not really rich. Slightly higher scale if you compare it against DBSS.

Last edited:

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
EC is for those who want to look rich but not really rich. Slightly higher scale if you compare it against DBSS.

actually, there's not much difference between a 99 yr condo project and EC. the market is smart enough to know this, hence the huge rush for ECs.

now government is not happy this group is going to make more money, at the government's expenses. making (easy) money in singapore is reserved for the connected. peasants are expected to work hard and not reap super-normal profits from their homes.

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was at the property expo at MBS last month and the ah neh from Propnex was frantically urging people to sell their HDB flat and buy EC saying that EC prices are dirt cheap comapred to condo price blah blah blah

Something fishy here.........

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
KBW thinks only EC is wrong?

Now I'm telling you useless KBW, that your whole housing policy is wrong. So in the future don't pretend no one told you.

And I won't be the one to tell you how to fix it even though I know how. The policy solution that I have in mind will take care of the EC problems without the need for any tweaks for decades ahead.

FYI good policies will take care of itself with inherent inbuilt self control and regulation by the very subjects of that policy.

Bad ministers, on the other hand, need million dollars salaries to give the policies they craft, an air of legitimacy. They fail eventually.

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Short Ass MBT has screwed us long time ago!

Mr. Cow please wake up from your sleep, prices of

EC has spiral up from $400k to Million dollars and u said

there's something wrong with the system..???

It's wrong all the time! but the gahmen has already pocket zillion $$
into your pocket and then u KpKb! something is wrong?

Come on Cow wake up lah...

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The basic flaw of our housing policies is simply one word -FOREIGNERS-i.e too many of them.
Allowing hugh number of foreigners into a small place and worst of all allowing foreigners (i.e PR's) to buy public housing.

Once you remove foreigners out of the equation -most of our problems will be resolved- i.e shortage of housing/high prices, trains overcrowing/breakdowns, lack of hospital beds, congestion on roads, lack of places in Universities, competition for PMET's jobs.

Since the party is not willing to even reduce the number of foriegners , we should vote them out instead.

Last edited: