• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Jiuhu Chinks Upset That 3 Nippon Warriors Who Conquered Alor Seta Honoured As Heroes By Bumiputera! Ketuan Melayu Tells Chink To Fuck Off!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
alor-setar-memorial-banners.jpg

KUALA LUMPUR: A newly restored World War II memorial in Malaysia sparked anger and calls for its demolition Tuesday (Mar 26) after a sign described three Japanese soldiers honoured as "heroes".

The Japanese occupation of Southeast Asia in the early 1940s was marked by brutality, and bitter memories still linger even after Tokyo made reparations and built friendships with its former enemies since the war.

Funded by Japan, Malaysian authorities restored the long-neglected stone monument built in 1941 in Alor Setar, capital of the northern state of Kedah, in a bid to bolster tourism.

It was originally built by the Japanese in honour of three soldiers who were killed while securing a strategic bridge to cut off British and Allied troops.

However, a sign that accompanied the restored monument inaugurated last week bore the title: "History Of Three Japanese Heroes Who Conquered The Alor Setar Bridge".

Lim Swee Bok from the Malaysian Chinese Association (MCA) on Tuesday led some 15 supporters to the Japanese consulate in the northern state of Penang and handed over a letter demanding the monument be torn down.

"It only reminds us of the painful era of Japanese occupation," Lim told AFP.

The Japanese occupied Malaya - modern-day Malaysia and Singapore - for almost four years from December 1941.

The Star newspaper Tuesday reported that MCA members had draped black cloth over the monument covered with the words: "Heroes monument for those who fought Japan."

The newspaper also published a photo of the monument surrounded by five large red banners bearing the slogans: "Japanese soldiers not heroes", "Killing, raping and beheading locals" and "Japanese soldiers are cruel".

Anger was also expressed online.

On the Malay Mail newspaper's Facebook page, reader Keke Lim said the Japanese were "aggressors who committed atrocities ... and crime against humanity".

Reader Lim Hong Meng said calling the soldiers heroes makes Malaysia a "laughing stock ... especially in Asia (which) suffered the cruelty and brutality of Japanese army".

Mohamad Asmirul Anuar Aris, the state tourism committee chairman, apologised for an "error in translation".

He said the sign has been taken down but rejected calls to demolish the memorial.

"It has been there since 1941. Furthermore we are trying to bring more tourists to Kedah and it is part of our attempt to upkeep historical sites," he told AFP.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...al-in-malaysia-calls-japanese-troops-11381400

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i applaud the chinks in matland for pointing that out, i am also strongly against the japanese for not acknowledging their war crimes in world war 2, very despicable and cruel race. if you noticed for the last decade, all the jap PMs actually visited their own war shrine memorating their criminal warlords, at the same time they issued apologies to china and south korea mainly. japs cannot be trusted. they are hypocrites and can swallow you up without you knowing. i also noticed in my recent visit back home that a lot of the shop spaces in orchard road are being occupied by jap eateries and retailers. i do not know if it is a good or bad thing but just be wary if they all pull out at once, jap if have to, work in solidarity manner.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Someone should bring those indignant folks to the Japanese cemetery in Serangoon. :biggrin:

colin-c5-8.jpg

I'm surprised there's no functioning Shinto shrine in Sinkieland. Looks like some religions are more important than others, eh? :wink:

kha-3.jpg

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Someone should bring those indignant folks to the Japanese cemetery in Serangoon. :biggrin:

colin-c5-8.jpg

I'm surprised there's no functioning Shinto shrine in Sinkieland. Looks like some religions are more important than others, eh? :wink:

kha-3.jpg
Why Shinto? Are there singkies who follow Nipland religion? I know there are singkies who follow Judaism but I don't know why...is Judaism represented on the MRT?

Skip to main content
Toggle navigation
SINGAPORECourts & Crime Education Housing Transport Health Manpower Environment

Radio presenter's journey to Judaism
Radio producer and presenter Andrew Lim at the Chesed-El Synagogue in Oxley Rise. The 48-year-old, whose wife and three children are also Orthodox Jews, said the teachings of the faith resonate strongly with him.
Radio producer and presenter Andrew Lim at the Chesed-El Synagogue in Oxley Rise. The 48-year-old, whose wife and three children are also Orthodox Jews, said the teachings of the faith resonate strongly with him.ST PHOTO: DESMOND LIM
Born a Roman Catholic, ex-Under One Roof actor converted to the Jewish faith in 2002
PUBLISHED: OCT 8, 2015, 5:00 AM SGT
FACEBOOKTWITTERWHATSAPPEMAIL
Cheong Suk-WaiSenior Writer
Radio producer and presenter Andrew Lim may be most famous for playing the pill-popping hypochondriac Paul Tan in home-grown sitcom Under One Roof. What is less known about him is that he is a practising Jew.

Mr Lim, 48, now also goes by the Hebrew name Ethan Eliyahu Avraham after he and his wife Angelena Loh converted to Orthodox Judaism in 2002. Their three children - sons Elliott, 16, and Eliav, 12, and daughter Eliana, 14 - are also Orthodox Jews.

His journey to Judaism began, aptly enough, at the Western Wall in Jerusalem in the hot summer of 1998. He was praying at the wall, and had asked God to reveal himself.

"Then, I had a tap on the shoulder from this old man. He had startlingly white short hair, a very long beard, a sharp nose and a black skull cap," Mr Lim recalls. "He seemed to be looking right through me."

In very heavily accented English, the elderly man began asking Mr Lim, among other things, whether he was Jewish and the names of his parents. Mr Lim answered him, and the man told him three times that he was Jewish.

Today, the Lims' daily routine has changed a lot, mainly to accommodate their dietary requirements. One of the rules requires them to eat only fish with scales, such as seabass. So eel and stingray are out, as are prawns and shellfish. Mr Lim, who likes his nyonya laksa, replaces the shrimp needed for the dish with anchovies.

"(I was) being interrogated by this old man while I was trying to pray, being asked what, to me, were inane questions, and being told I was Jewish when I obviously was not," recalls Mr Lim. "He then asked if he could say a prayer for me, and I said yes."

ADVERTISING

The man said a prayer which he knows now as the Mi Sheberach.

That encounter took place years after Mr Lim, who was born a Roman Catholic, became intensely interested in the roots of Christianity, following a childhood fascination with exorcism. He and his wife even studied exorcism for a year in Surrey, Britain.

The chance meeting in Jerusalem, however, was not the impetus for his conversion, Mr Lim stresses. His interest in the religion was piqued after the trip and he began to research Judaism "voraciously".

"As a Christian, the only Jews I knew were the Pharisees, who had a strict code of law and Jesus had a really hard time with them, telling them it's not the letter but the spirit of the law that matters," says Mr Lim.

"So I wanted to know who the Pharisees were, what they believed in... and how Jesus' mission evolved through the ages."

The Pharisees are spiritual fathers of modern Judaism.

When Mr Lim told his mother, whose father was Eurasian and whose mother was Peranakan, about the episode with the elderly man, she grew silent for a while, he recalls. Then, she told him that his maternal great-grandmother used to go to a synagogue in Britain with his youngest maternal aunt Rosalind and light candles on the Sabbath.

He was so seized with this newfound aspect of his ancestry that he researched Judaism into the wee hours, "bulldozing my way through whatever article I could find online".

Mr Harry Elias (left) symbolically finishing the writing of a new set of Torah by holding on to the hand of Rabbi Mendy Goldshmid (right) as Mr Daniel Harel, who donated the set, watches. Rabbi Goldshmid, who is based in Koh Samui, flew here for the
Related Story
Kosher kitchen gave hope during WWII
The teachings of the faith, he adds, resonate strongly with him.

His wife, who is the granddaughter of a revered Methodist pastor in Singapore, was bemused by all his frenetic research, from which he left mountains of paper on his desk for about six months.

He muses about their relationship then: "There weren't earth- shattering confrontations... And after a lot of research that she did on her own, one day, she said, 'Let's pull together'.

"That was probably the happiest moment of my life. It was a relief!"

Mr Lim then contacted Rabbi Mordechai Abergel, the longtime Rabbi of Singapore, who guided his family in converting to the Jewish faith. They studied, among other things, Jewish law and its many requirements.

Rabbi Abergel also invited him to spend Passover with his family a few times, thus enabling Mr Lim to steep himself even more in the faith. Passover is the major Jewish springtime festival, commemorating the emancipation of the Israelites from slavery in ancient Egypt.

Together with their two older children, Mr Lim and his wife - who was then pregnant with Eliav - went to Melbourne, Australia, to complete their conversion. "We still don't have an infrastructure for conversions here so we still have to do it overseas," he says.

Today, the Lims' daily routine has changed a lot, mainly to accommodate their dietary requirements.

One of the rules requires them to eat only fish with scales, such as seabass. So eel and stingray are out, as are prawns and shellfish. Mr Lim, who likes his nyonya laksa, replaces the shrimp needed for the dish with anchovies.

Pork is forbidden, as are meat- and-dairy dishes such as beef stroganoff prepared according to its traditional recipe, that is, with sour cream. He can buy kosher chicken easily - except that it costs $10 each compared with the usual price of $6 or so for one bought from the supermarket.

It helps that Mr Lim's work schedule is flexible, allowing him to cook a lot for his family, as eating most of their meals at home is the solution to adhering to their faith.

When his children go on school trips, they lug cans of tuna and kosher instant noodles with them.

Their children were homeschooled for a few years, but they are now educated formally, Mr Lim says, because "they should be able to mingle with other people from the country that they live in".

Mrs Lim, who had taught at Singapore's only Jewish school, the Ganenu Learning Centre - now known as Sir Manasseh Meyer International School - for some years, has returned to scriptwriting.

Asked whether converts to Judaism are on a par with those who are born Jews, Mr Lim says firmly: "There would be no distinction in Jewish law. A convert is a reborn Jewish person."

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on October 08, 2015, with the headline 'Radio presenter's journey to Judaism'. Print Edition |

ChristJohnny

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Japs were actually hero - depending on which angle you look.

They started a war that they can never win - Not a Hero
They are the first Asian country to beat the European colonial power - A Hero
They killed many Chinese in SEA - Not a Hero
They make m&ds, Pinoy, Indon their dogs - ....

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Japan got off considerably lightly as a nation for their war crimes after ww2 because of USA's backing and support. the Japs never made a proper sincere apology to China -ROC and PRC let alone one to the people and countries of SEA.