• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Jialat! AMDK pointed to Orchard Road Represents Sinkieland in it’s Decline!

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Decline of Singapore’s Famed Shopping Strip Shows City’s Pain
Faris Mokhtar3 August 2020, 05:00 GMT+8
Pedestrians walk along Orchard Road in Singapore.

Pedestrians walk along Orchard Road in Singapore. Photographer: Wei Leng Tay/Bloomberg
LISTEN TO ARTICLE
A walk down Orchard Road shows just how badly the coronavirus pandemic has hit Singapore’s famed shopping strip.

Gone are popular restaurants like Modesto’s, which shut last month after 23 years. Also missing are the queues of Chinese tourists outside Chanel and Louis Vuitton. Malls along the 2.4 kilometer (1.5 mile) stretch, once one of Asia’s top shopping meccas, are dotted with empty stores. On a recent midweek afternoon, the number of shop staff idly dusting shelves or playing with their mobile phones rather than greeting customers is notable.

“It’s the worst crisis for Singapore and Orchard Road,” said Kiran Assodani, who has run her custom tailor shop in one of the older malls for 35 years. The alterations outlet, which caters to both tourists and locals, has seen sales drop by 90% since the virus outbreak. “I don’t know if the shops can weather this storm.”

Orchard Road’s malaise is a microcosm of the city-state’s pain. After initial success in containing Covid-19, an outbreak swept through scores of dormitories housing foreign workers, prompting a two-month partial lockdown that’s sending the economy toward its worst-ever recession. Global travel restrictions are robbing Singapore of around $20 billion in tourism receipts and the domestic market is too small to make up the shortfall.

Record Slump
Singapore retail sales plunged in May during partial lockdown
Source: SingStat
Originally the site of fruit, nutmeg and pepper farms in the early 19th century that gave the strip its name, Orchard Road’s transformation into a glitzy shopping hub -- the first department store opened in 1958 -- mirrored Singapore’s own growth from a relatively sleepy trading outpost to one of the world’s wealthiest nations.

Now, it’s tracing the economy’s decline.

Italian restaurant Modesto’s survived the SARS outbreak and the Asian and global financial crises during its more than two decades on Orchard Road, but buckled under the coronavirus. Instead of renewing his lease, owner Ashok Melwani decided to cut his losses and close for good.

“If I renewed, I was signing up for a rollercoaster in the dark,” said the 62-year-old, who also closed a second Modesto’s outlet nearby. “I may bleed and bleed with no end in sight.”

Singapore's Famous Shopping District Faces Its Worst Crisis

Pedestrians pass along Orchard Road in Singapore.
Photographer: Wei Leng Tay/Bloomberg
The downturn has hit luxury and bargain-basement retailers equally hard.

Robert Chua, who runs a discount luggage store in Far East Plaza, reckons he can last about another two months. He used to take in around S$25,000 ($18,000) a month selling suitcases and backpacks to mostly American, European and Chinese tourists. Now, a S$300 day is a good one, and some days there are no customers at all.

“Everyday I come to the store feeling sad,” said the 50-year-old. Inside his account books he keeps three S$50 notes -- a Chinese superstition meant to keep money flowing in, to no avail. “I can’t sleep thinking about the expenses I have to pay.” His S$6,000-a-month rent resumes this month after rental rebates provided by the government and some landlords ended in July.

At least 20 stores in Far East Plaza, which is part owned by the billionaire family behind RB Capital, are empty, ‘For Rent’ stickers optimistically plastered on their shutters.

A few blocks away at the more upmarket Ngee Ann City, part of Starhill Global REIT’s portfolio, it’s a similar story. Several shops are closed, including a Japanese restaurant and linen-fashion retailer British India.

“It’s never been this bad and I’ve been working in retail since 1994,” said Nana Sahamat, the manager of Japanese clothing store Fray I.D. “Before the crisis, I’d be busy entertaining customers but I now spend more time in the backroom doing stock taking.”

To be sure, Orchard Road was already losing its luster before the coronavirus hit. The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands has drawn away wealthy tourists and domestic consumers alike with luxury retailers like Christian Louboutin, Fendi and Gucci, and fine dining restaurants such as Cut by Wolfgang Puck.

Singapore's Famous Shopping District Faces Its Worst Crisis

Pedestrians wearing protective masks walk past a Victoria's Secret outlet along Orchard Road.
More cost-conscious shoppers meanwhile are heading to suburban malls flush with high-street brands like Uniqlo, Zara and Topshop, and no longer see the need to venture to Orchard Road.

“Before the pandemic, Orchard Road had already seen a decline in foot traffic and sales,” said Wong King Yin, a lecturer in marketing at Singapore’s Nanyang Technological University.

“Only when international tourism has fully resumed, the economy has recovered and everyone is willing to spend, and when Orchard Road is able to offer unique experiences more than just shopping, then the district can attract people like it did during its peak,” she said.

There have been repeated attempts to rejuvenate the area. CapitaLand Ltd.’s futuristic Ion Orchard mall was opened in 2009 and shoppers can get everything they need -- from luxury jewelry and fashion to affordable brands like Swarovski. There’s also a huge basement food court showcasing fast food and Singapore street delicacies. The strip has also dabbled in midnightshopping, monthly pedestrian nights, and a S$40 million makeover to widen sidewalks.

“The experiences introduced still aren’t able to ‘wow’ consumers,” Wong said.

Last year, the government unveiled fresh plans to transform Orchard Road into a “lifestyle destination.” It’s envisaged the strip will be divided into four precincts each with its own focus, such as arts and culture, a youth hub and a garden district.

“Like many other cities, Singapore is studying possible changes in consumer behavior and the impact of the pandemic on our urban development plans,” the Singapore Tourism Board and Urban Redevelopment Authority said in an emailed response to Bloomberg questions. “Where appropriate, we will look at adjusting and fine tuning specific plans.”

For restaurant owner Melwani, it’s all a little too late.

“Orchard Road definitely has its charms, but I fear the ship has sailed,” he said. “I honestly don’t know what can bring back the glamor.”

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like an over the hill Chiobu prostitute no longer Ang Pai.

Decline of Singapore’s Famed Shopping Strip Shows City’s Pain
Faris Mokhtar3 August 2020, 05:00 GMT+8
Pedestrians walk along Orchard Road in Singapore.

Pedestrians walk along Orchard Road in Singapore. Photographer: Wei Leng Tay/Bloomberg
LISTEN TO ARTICLE
A walk down Orchard Road shows just how badly the coronavirus pandemic has hit Singapore’s famed shopping strip.

Gone are popular restaurants like Modesto’s, which shut last month after 23 years. Also missing are the queues of Chinese tourists outside Chanel and Louis Vuitton. Malls along the 2.4 kilometer (1.5 mile) stretch, once one of Asia’s top shopping meccas, are dotted with empty stores. On a recent midweek afternoon, the number of shop staff idly dusting shelves or playing with their mobile phones rather than greeting customers is notable.

“It’s the worst crisis for Singapore and Orchard Road,” said Kiran Assodani, who has run her custom tailor shop in one of the older malls for 35 years. The alterations outlet, which caters to both tourists and locals, has seen sales drop by 90% since the virus outbreak. “I don’t know if the shops can weather this storm.”

Orchard Road’s malaise is a microcosm of the city-state’s pain. After initial success in containing Covid-19, an outbreak swept through scores of dormitories housing foreign workers, prompting a two-month partial lockdown that’s sending the economy toward its worst-ever recession. Global travel restrictions are robbing Singapore of around $20 billion in tourism receipts and the domestic market is too small to make up the shortfall.

Record Slump
Singapore retail sales plunged in May during partial lockdown
Source: SingStat
Originally the site of fruit, nutmeg and pepper farms in the early 19th century that gave the strip its name, Orchard Road’s transformation into a glitzy shopping hub -- the first department store opened in 1958 -- mirrored Singapore’s own growth from a relatively sleepy trading outpost to one of the world’s wealthiest nations.

Now, it’s tracing the economy’s decline.

Italian restaurant Modesto’s survived the SARS outbreak and the Asian and global financial crises during its more than two decades on Orchard Road, but buckled under the coronavirus. Instead of renewing his lease, owner Ashok Melwani decided to cut his losses and close for good.

“If I renewed, I was signing up for a rollercoaster in the dark,” said the 62-year-old, who also closed a second Modesto’s outlet nearby. “I may bleed and bleed with no end in sight.”

Singapore's Famous Shopping District Faces Its Worst Crisis's Famous Shopping District Faces Its Worst Crisis

Pedestrians pass along Orchard Road in Singapore.
The downturn has hit luxury and bargain-basement retailers equally hard.

Robert Chua, who runs a discount luggage store in Far East Plaza, reckons he can last about another two months. He used to take in around S$25,000 ($18,000) a month selling suitcases and backpacks to mostly American, European and Chinese tourists. Now, a S$300 day is a good one, and some days there are no customers at all.

“Everyday I come to the store feeling sad,” said the 50-year-old. Inside his account books he keeps three S$50 notes -- a Chinese superstition meant to keep money flowing in, to no avail. “I can’t sleep thinking about the expenses I have to pay.” His S$6,000-a-month rent resumes this month after rental rebates provided by the government and some landlords ended in July.

At least 20 stores in Far East Plaza, which is part owned by the billionaire family behind RB Capital, are empty, ‘For Rent’ stickers optimistically plastered on their shutters.

A few blocks away at the more upmarket Ngee Ann City, part of Starhill Global REIT’s portfolio, it’s a similar story. Several shops are closed, including a Japanese restaurant and linen-fashion retailer British India.

“It’s never been this bad and I’ve been working in retail since 1994,” said Nana Sahamat, the manager of Japanese clothing store Fray I.D. “Before the crisis, I’d be busy entertaining customers but I now spend more time in the backroom doing stock taking.”

To be sure, Orchard Road was already losing its luster before the coronavirus hit. The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands has drawn away wealthy tourists and domestic consumers alike with luxury retailers like Christian Louboutin, Fendi and Gucci, and fine dining restaurants such as Cut by Wolfgang Puck.

Singapore's Famous Shopping District Faces Its Worst Crisis's Famous Shopping District Faces Its Worst Crisis

Pedestrians wearing protective masks walk past a Victoria's Secret outlet along Orchard Road.
More cost-conscious shoppers meanwhile are heading to suburban malls flush with high-street brands like Uniqlo, Zara and Topshop, and no longer see the need to venture to Orchard Road.

“Before the pandemic, Orchard Road had already seen a decline in foot traffic and sales,” said Wong King Yin, a lecturer in marketing at Singapore’s Nanyang Technological University.

“Only when international tourism has fully resumed, the economy has recovered and everyone is willing to spend, and when Orchard Road is able to offer unique experiences more than just shopping, then the district can attract people like it did during its peak,” she said.

There have been repeated attempts to rejuvenate the area. CapitaLand Ltd.’s futuristic Ion Orchard mall was opened in 2009 and shoppers can get everything they need -- from luxury jewelry and fashion to affordable brands like Swarovski. There’s also a huge basement food court showcasing fast food and Singapore street delicacies. The strip has also dabbled in midnightshopping, monthly pedestrian nights, and a S$40 million makeover to widen sidewalks.

“The experiences introduced still aren’t able to ‘wow’ consumers,” Wong said.

Last year, the government unveiled fresh plans to transform Orchard Road into a “lifestyle destination.” It’s envisaged the strip will be divided into four precincts each with its own focus, such as arts and culture, a youth hub and a garden district.

“Like many other cities, Singapore is studying possible changes in consumer behavior and the impact of the pandemic on our urban development plans,” the Singapore Tourism Board and Urban Redevelopment Authority said in an emailed response to Bloomberg questions. “Where appropriate, we will look at adjusting and fine tuning specific plans.”

For restaurant owner Melwani, it’s all a little too late.

“Orchard Road definitely has its charms, but I fear the ship has sailed,” he said. “I honestly don’t know what can bring back the glamor.”
[/QUOTE]

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Deserted Orchard Road highlights Singapore's economic woes
Collapsing demand is devastating Asia's brick-and-mortar retailers
https%3A%2F%2Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%2Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%2Fimages%2F8%2F5%2F4%2F0%2F27480458-4-eng-GB%2FCropped-159160124520200603%20Ion%20Orchard%20Singapore%20LV.jpg

SINGAPORE -- To see the extent of the economic crisis gripping Singapore -- which last week recorded its steepest ever monthly retail sales fall -- just take a random walk down Orchard Road.

One of Southeast Asia's prime shopping hubs, the normally thriving strip of malls and high-end retailers -- a reliable indicator of the country's economic health -- seem almost empty.

Instead of being crowded with people, the gleaming white floor of Apple's flagship store is strewn with fallen leaves.

Neighboring luxury brands such as lingerie retailer Victoria's Secret and Italian luxury brand Gucci seemed frozen in time, with plastic sheets draped over their window displays, as the Singapore government has been forced to extend lockdown measures to control a coronavirus outbreak running rampant through the city-state's migrant worker community.

"There are no tourists," said Rosli Hamad, who manages a pizza stand on Orchard Road, and who estimates that number of people on the streets has fallen by at least half. "Because a lot of the shopping centers are closed, we hope for the locals (to come by)," said.

The pandemic has hit merchants hard, not just in the city-state but elsewhere in Southeast Asia, and the numbers across the region tell the story. Singapore on Friday reported that retail sales had slumped 40.5% on-year in April to hit SG$2.1 billion.

The last time Singapore saw figures that low was in February 2011, according to Singapore's statistics department. Since then, monthly retail sales have always exceeded SG$3 billion. In December and January, retail sales topped SG$4 billion.

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%2Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%2Fimages%2F_aliases%2Farticle_main_image%2F3%2F6%2F1%2F8%2F27538163-1-eng-GB%2F20200608-Singapore-Retail-Col.png

In Indonesia, the country's Shopping Mall Association estimated at least 9.8 trillion rupiah ($682 million) in losses over the past two months. Conglomerate Astra International, which accounted for half of Indonesia's car sales, reported a 90% drop on-year for April sales.

During the Islamic holy month of Ramadan, which ended on May 23 and which is traditionally a busy shopping period, Southeast Asia's largest economy saw muted consumption this year. According to the Central Statistics Agency, or BPS, Indonesia record reported a 0.07% month-on-month inflation in May, which overlapped with most of the Islamic fasting month -- a sharp drop from the 0.55% inflation for the same period last year.

"Ramadan and (the adjoining holiday of) Idul Fitri typically saw increases in demands due to various needs, therefore high inflation," BPS head Suhariyanto said. "But we are all aware of this non-ordinary situation, much different from previous years."

With Jakarta easing its partial lockdown, and shopping malls across the Indonesian capital be allowed to reopen on June 15, spending is not expected to recover quickly as malls will only be able to receive visitors at half their capacity.

In Thailand, which is starting to emerge from its own lockdown with department stores and malls able to operate again, limits on the number of people allowed to enter establishments is still weighing down retail businesses.

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%2Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%2Fimages%2F_aliases%2Farticle_main_image%2F0%2F6%2F5%2F0%2F27480560-3-eng-GB%2FCropped-159160120020200604%20Apple%20Store%20SG.jpg
Apple Orchard Road, the American tech giant's flagship store in Singapore, during the coronavirus crisis. (Photo by Dylan Loh)
According to the Economic Intelligence Center, or EIC, the kingdom's retail business is expected to drop by 14%, or around 500 billion baht ($16 billion), from last year's market value of about 3.5 trillion baht, on weak tourism and tepid domestic spending amid the pandemic.

The need for retailers to implement sanitation measures for public hygiene has also pushed up operation costs for brick-and-mortar stores, while the EIC estimated that a 67% fall in foreign tourists from 39 million in 2019 to 13 million this year could cut tourism-related retail revenue by up to 270 billion baht.

Thai retail businesses have so far reported muted earnings for the year.

Central Retail Corporation (CRC) logged a net profit of 890 million baht, down 63% from the same period of last year. CPALL, the operator of 7-Eleven convenience stores posted a net profit of 5.6 billion baht, a 2.2% year-on-year decline.

In Vietnam, total retail sales of consumer goods and services in the first four months of 2020 reached 1,520 trillion dong, down 4.3% on-year, while estimated sales of accommodation and catering services in the same period was at 143 trillion dong -- falling 23.6% on-year.

Taking the first five months of the year, total retail sales of goods and services was down 3.9% on-year to 1,913 trillion dong. Within Southeast Asia, the country had among the fewest reported cases of coronavirus infections, and accordingly had less severe lockdown measures than Singapore or Indonesia.

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com%2Fpsh-ex-ftnikkei-3937bb4%2Fimages%2F_aliases%2Farticle_main_image%2F5%2F2%2F7%2F7%2F27537725-1-eng-GB%2F20200608-Singapore-Retail-at-a-glance-tbl.png

The only bright spot on the horizon has been e-commerce, which has emerged a winner. One of Indonesia's leading e-commerce platforms saw sales "hovering around an all-time high range" in April, while Singapore's Shopee also saw surges in transactions from stay-at-home shoppers.

Supermarkets and grocery shops have seen spikes in buying as well, up 74% in April compared to the same time last year, with daily essentials and food items topped the list of sales amid the general pullback in consumption.

Whenever retailers can finally re-open fully, and Southeast Asia can begin to shake off various lockdown measures, Bidhan Roy, head of commercial and small business at tech conglomerate Cisco, said that they still be returning to a 'new normal'.

With new rules enforcing safe distancing measures as shops resume their operations, Roy said many businesses will need to take additional steps such as adopting new technology to cope with the demands of adhering to new public safety regulations.

"It is important to remember that the retail stores we left will not be the ones we will go back to," said Roy. "A lot will change."

Additional reporting by Apornrath Phoonphonphiphat in Bangkok, Erwida Maulia in Jakarta, and Kim Dung Tong in Ho Chi Minh City.

Byebye Penis

Alfrescian
Loyal
Neighbourhood wet market stallholders and shopowners are telling me that they are enjoying roaring businesses due to WFH. Our stock markets are still high, REITs are telling us that despite empty spaces that they are stuck with, their cost of financing is also lower.

Therefore i am really confused, if the economy is bad, why is our finance sector so robust?

worcer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Neighbourhood wet market stallholders and shopowners are telling me that they are enjoying roaring businesses due to WFH. Our stock markets are still high, REITs are telling us that despite empty spaces that they are stuck with, their cost of financing is also lower.

Therefore i am really confused, if the economy is bad, why is our finance sector so robust?

Like in 2008, when the banks spot the crisis... instead of trying to prevent it from exploding, they add to the fuel...

Now its almost the same, banks now trying to sell out the dieing shares... REITs are bleeding and hoping a miracle will happen.REITs actually know economy going to be bad in 2019/2018... so They kept theirs funds and waited for the opportunity.If u been to their AGM, u would have been briefed.

CPTMiller

Alfrescian
Loyal
We don't see the full picture.
Those retail earning millions previously pull out now because they can see their millions coming in next year or so.
The owner talking a break only.
The one who suffers is the workers

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Everyone encouraged to stay home. Implementing SafeEntry (which ironically does not keep you safe) already turns off half of the available potential customers.

Businesses how to survive?

I think the new hipster 'lifestyle' Funan mall, which opened last year to much fanfare, will have many businesses going kaput. It was fun while it lasted. :cool:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
everywhere is about the same. sexpensive and high ses sillycon valley will see retail closures at 69% in less than 6.9 weeks.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Like in 2008, when the banks spot the crisis... instead of trying to prevent it from exploding, they add to the fuel...

Now its almost the same, banks now trying to sell out the dieing shares... REITs are bleeding and hoping a miracle will happen.REITs actually know economy going to be bad in 2019/2018... so They kept theirs funds and waited for the opportunity.If u been to their AGM, u would have been briefed.

REITS are bloodsuckers... every mall should be a hybrid of strata-titled ownership and co-operative ownership. Witness over the past decade or so, how many new malls were built, and how many more were 'rebranded' e.g. OneKM became Kinex. Now there are too many malls, including quite a number of 'mixed use' crappy developments. :rolleyes:

It all started with this:

popwhitepaper1.jpg

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Orchard road now depending on daft Sinkies. But then again, how to spend when the economy is bad, salaries being cut, and worse many being retrenched. FTs like the Ceca Nehs notorious for being cheapskates won't spend half of their salaries shopping at Orchard. They rather save up to buy big plot of land back home. Sometimes I wonder the stupidity of building malls, malls and more malls.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Orchard road now depending on daft Sinkies. But then again, how to spend when the economy is bad, salaries being cut, and worse many being retrenched. FTs like the Ceca Nehs notorious for being cheapskates won't spend half of their salaries shopping at Orchard. They rather save up to buy big plot of land back home. Sometimes I wonder the stupidity of building malls, malls and more malls.
You expect people shopping along a strip where multitudes of cockroaches that cannot pronounce "coke" and 'fact" roam ?

maxxi

Alfrescian
Loyal
They pay AMDK Aussie millions to re-create 'Buzz' along Orchard.

WHo idea to ask Aussie whose cities close down at 5pm evryday?