• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat JHK jobstealers stuck in Peesai complain! Rents too high! Good times over!

Xisiqomelir

Alfrescian
Loyal
Earn SGD spend MYR - SEDAP!

Earn SGD spend SGD - SAKIT!

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...-pca-hdb-rental-prices-high-covid-19-13040596

'Way beyond my budget': Malaysians entering Singapore for work under PCA scramble to find rental options
By Amir Yusof @AmirYusofCNA

7-9 minutes

SINGAPORE: Ms Norashikin Rahman is worried she may not have a shelter over her head next month.

The 29-year-old Malaysian, who lives in Johor Bahru, is scheduled to enter Singapore via the Periodic Commutive Arrangement (PCA) scheme on Sep 1. The scheme allows her to resume work for her company, a computer chip manufacturing firm based in the north-eastern part of Singapore.

As part of the PCA, she will serve a seven day stay-home notice (SHN) upon arrival, at a facility paid for by her company, and undertake a COVID-19 swab test.
After she finishes her SHN and tests negative for COVID-19, Ms Norashikin would need to move to a place to stay.

The mother of two young children has been trying for weeks to secure a suitable room that is close to her work place and within her budget, but to no success.
My budget is only S$300, but for rooms in Yishun, the rent I have been quoted for are at least S$650.

“The prices quoted are way beyond my budget. I won’t have enough money for my family or my living expenses in Singapore,” she said when interviewed by CNA.

Ms Norashikin is one of many Malaysians who are heading to Singapore to resume work under the ambit of the PCA, but are struggling to find suitable homes on short notice, at the right price and with short rental leases.

Some of them are using social media groups to find rental options and connect with other Malaysians looking to rent rooms at similar locations.

For instance, the Facebook group Bilik Sewa Singapore (Malaysian), or rooms for rent in Singapore for Malaysians, has been abuzz with many posts in recent weeks, with people looking for roommates and landlords posting rental opportunities.

Although there are options available, Ms Norashikin said many landlords are looking for tenants who are willing to commit for between six months to a year.
She is not willing to do this as she plans to return home after three months. Subsequently, she is hoping that the two governments can find a solution to resume daily commuting across the border.

“For the long term, I don’t think I want to continue renting here. It’s important for me to be close to my child and family and see them every day,” she said.

Another Malaysian who will also be entering Singapore to work via PCA in September is Mr Fakhrul Adlee, who works in the western part of Singapore.

He told CNA that he has been looking for suitable rental options on the Bilik Sewa Singapore Facebook group for a couple of weeks but has found it “challenging”.

He noted that there were limited options for rooms in the area he wants to stay in – near Jurong East or Toh Guan.

“Also, the rent quoted is quite high. My budget is S$350, slightly flexible, but so far nothing falls into the range I can afford,” he said.
Mr Fakhrul added that many of the options available were only for female tenants, and virtually none for males.

According to Mr Nicholas Mak, ERA Realty's research and consultancy head, Malaysian workers who are looking for rental units are typically “more budget conscious”. He also said that a total of six tenants would usually share an entire HDB unit to lower costs.

Moreover, there has been an increase in demand for HDB rental units recently, especially near industrial estates in Jurong, Tuas, Woodlands, Yishun and Kaki Bukit, he said.
“Malaysians who are coming here to work is a big factor in driving up demand for these units. They are far from the city centre and are popular among Malaysian workers, who prefer to live in a place easily accessible to their places of work,” added Mr Mak.

He said that this has led to some landlords in these areas raising the prices.

“For example, the rent for a 4-room HDB unit in Joo Koon would typically cost around S$2,300 but recently, the prices have spiked to around S$2,700. This price is what you usually see for flats closer to the city.”

Ms Christine Sun, head of research and consultancy at OrangeTee & Tie, said that the increase in HDB rental demand can be linked to Malaysians working in Singapore.
“Anecdotally, we have observed strong rental demand from Malaysians working in Singapore since the start of the circuit breaker period."

“Even now, with some of the border lockdowns being eased recently, many are still reluctant to travel back as they need to serve their stay-home-notice and have continued to rent a unit in Singapore,” she added.

According to SRX flash estimates released on Aug 12, the prices for the HDB rental market in July increased by 1.4 per cent from June.
Ms Sun said this was possibly due to landlords raising their rent after observing a sudden surge in demand.

Malaysian worker Imran Malik told CNA that he is due to enter Singapore via PCA in two weeks but he is “feeling anxious” because he believes the higher demand has priced him out of the market.

“It’s obvious, many of the landlords have noticed an increase in demand for their units so they upped their asking price. Some have even refused to reply to my queries to negotiate price,” he said.
“And to share a room, they are charging around S$700. It’s not worth it because some of them have no air-con even,” added Mr Imran.

The issue of Malaysian workers having difficulties finding temporary shelter in Singapore first surfaced in March, after the Malaysia government imposed the Movement Control Order to curb the spread of COVID-19.

Under the order, all Malaysians were barred from travelling abroad, including around 300,000 Malaysians who travel across the Woodlands Causeway and Tuas Second Link every day for work.

It was then reported that some Malaysian workers who had crossed over to Singapore before the travel restrictions kicked in were unable to find accommodation.
Subsequently, Singapore’s Ministry of Manpower (MOM) said it found 14 Malaysian workers who were sleeping rough at Kranji MRT station and took them to a "temporary relief centre" in Jurong East.

Ms Sun of OrangeTee & Tie said if the landlords and tenants can find an equilibrium now, it may help to prop up Singapore's property market going forward.
“We have quite a number of Malaysians working in Singapore. Therefore, the PCA and some lockdown restrictions that are still currently in place may deter Malaysians from going back. This will continue to prop up the rental market in Singapore,” she said.

However, she noted that the long term future of these workers might not be secure given how COVID-19 has impacted the Singapore economy.
“There will also be other considerations such as whether the economic uncertainties will impact the job security and employment of Malaysian workers in Singapore,” Ms Sun noted.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
They expect accommodation to be free? And my heart bleeds for them. Since its soo hard in singkieland. They can go back to where they come from n earn a living there

CPTMiller

Alfrescian
Loyal
Earn SGD spend MYR - SEDAP!

Earn SGD spend SGD - SAKIT!

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...-pca-hdb-rental-prices-high-covid-19-13040596

'Way beyond my budget': Malaysians entering Singapore for work under PCA scramble to find rental options
By Amir Yusof @AmirYusofCNA

7-9 minutes

SINGAPORE: Ms Norashikin Rahman is worried she may not have a shelter over her head next month.

The 29-year-old Malaysian, who lives in Johor Bahru, is scheduled to enter Singapore via the Periodic Commutive Arrangement (PCA) scheme on Sep 1. The scheme allows her to resume work for her company, a computer chip manufacturing firm based in the north-eastern part of Singapore.

As part of the PCA, she will serve a seven day stay-home notice (SHN) upon arrival, at a facility paid for by her company, and undertake a COVID-19 swab test.
After she finishes her SHN and tests negative for COVID-19, Ms Norashikin would need to move to a place to stay.

The mother of two young children has been trying for weeks to secure a suitable room that is close to her work place and within her budget, but to no success.
My budget is only S$300, but for rooms in Yishun, the rent I have been quoted for are at least S$650.

“The prices quoted are way beyond my budget. I won’t have enough money for my family or my living expenses in Singapore,” she said when interviewed by CNA.

Ms Norashikin is one of many Malaysians who are heading to Singapore to resume work under the ambit of the PCA, but are struggling to find suitable homes on short notice, at the right price and with short rental leases.

Some of them are using social media groups to find rental options and connect with other Malaysians looking to rent rooms at similar locations.

For instance, the Facebook group Bilik Sewa Singapore (Malaysian), or rooms for rent in Singapore for Malaysians, has been abuzz with many posts in recent weeks, with people looking for roommates and landlords posting rental opportunities.

Although there are options available, Ms Norashikin said many landlords are looking for tenants who are willing to commit for between six months to a year.
She is not willing to do this as she plans to return home after three months. Subsequently, she is hoping that the two governments can find a solution to resume daily commuting across the border.

“For the long term, I don’t think I want to continue renting here. It’s important for me to be close to my child and family and see them every day,” she said.

Another Malaysian who will also be entering Singapore to work via PCA in September is Mr Fakhrul Adlee, who works in the western part of Singapore.

He told CNA that he has been looking for suitable rental options on the Bilik Sewa Singapore Facebook group for a couple of weeks but has found it “challenging”.

He noted that there were limited options for rooms in the area he wants to stay in – near Jurong East or Toh Guan.

“Also, the rent quoted is quite high. My budget is S$350, slightly flexible, but so far nothing falls into the range I can afford,” he said.
Mr Fakhrul added that many of the options available were only for female tenants, and virtually none for males.

According to Mr Nicholas Mak, ERA Realty's research and consultancy head, Malaysian workers who are looking for rental units are typically “more budget conscious”. He also said that a total of six tenants would usually share an entire HDB unit to lower costs.

Moreover, there has been an increase in demand for HDB rental units recently, especially near industrial estates in Jurong, Tuas, Woodlands, Yishun and Kaki Bukit, he said.
“Malaysians who are coming here to work is a big factor in driving up demand for these units. They are far from the city centre and are popular among Malaysian workers, who prefer to live in a place easily accessible to their places of work,” added Mr Mak.

He said that this has led to some landlords in these areas raising the prices.

“For example, the rent for a 4-room HDB unit in Joo Koon would typically cost around S$2,300 but recently, the prices have spiked to around S$2,700. This price is what you usually see for flats closer to the city.”

Ms Christine Sun, head of research and consultancy at OrangeTee & Tie, said that the increase in HDB rental demand can be linked to Malaysians working in Singapore.
“Anecdotally, we have observed strong rental demand from Malaysians working in Singapore since the start of the circuit breaker period."

“Even now, with some of the border lockdowns being eased recently, many are still reluctant to travel back as they need to serve their stay-home-notice and have continued to rent a unit in Singapore,” she added.

According to SRX flash estimates released on Aug 12, the prices for the HDB rental market in July increased by 1.4 per cent from June.
Ms Sun said this was possibly due to landlords raising their rent after observing a sudden surge in demand.

Malaysian worker Imran Malik told CNA that he is due to enter Singapore via PCA in two weeks but he is “feeling anxious” because he believes the higher demand has priced him out of the market.

“It’s obvious, many of the landlords have noticed an increase in demand for their units so they upped their asking price. Some have even refused to reply to my queries to negotiate price,” he said.
“And to share a room, they are charging around S$700. It’s not worth it because some of them have no air-con even,” added Mr Imran.

The issue of Malaysian workers having difficulties finding temporary shelter in Singapore first surfaced in March, after the Malaysia government imposed the Movement Control Order to curb the spread of COVID-19.

Under the order, all Malaysians were barred from travelling abroad, including around 300,000 Malaysians who travel across the Woodlands Causeway and Tuas Second Link every day for work.

It was then reported that some Malaysian workers who had crossed over to Singapore before the travel restrictions kicked in were unable to find accommodation.
Subsequently, Singapore’s Ministry of Manpower (MOM) said it found 14 Malaysian workers who were sleeping rough at Kranji MRT station and took them to a "temporary relief centre" in Jurong East.

Ms Sun of OrangeTee & Tie said if the landlords and tenants can find an equilibrium now, it may help to prop up Singapore's property market going forward.
“We have quite a number of Malaysians working in Singapore. Therefore, the PCA and some lockdown restrictions that are still currently in place may deter Malaysians from going back. This will continue to prop up the rental market in Singapore,” she said.

However, she noted that the long term future of these workers might not be secure given how COVID-19 has impacted the Singapore economy.
“There will also be other considerations such as whether the economic uncertainties will impact the job security and employment of Malaysian workers in Singapore,” Ms Sun noted.
You must be joking.
You should try check availability of all Budget hotels and mostly all fully booked till next month.
They charge daily at least $60 or more.
Many Malaysian already staying or going to come in soon .
Obviously they can afford it because a Singapore Dollar jobs is awaiting them

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now they know the absolute crazy costs. Singapore has been a economic wonderland for these 3rd world peasant

millim6868

Alfrescian
Loyal
F them, earn here go back hv landed n condo n car , all jiuhukia all act poor, CB , then don come here , stay in mudland , why come here kpkb.Knn, stay in mudland don come here

searcher1

Alfrescian
Loyal
To Local Home Owners, these people are coming into our country, work & earn our money.
We must make them spend more in SG & boost our economy, not let them bring our money back to their country.

Xisiqomelir

Alfrescian
Loyal
Open border = Open Leg = SWEET RELIEF

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/opened-border-brings-sweet-relief

Opened border brings sweet relief for Singapore businesses as more Malaysians return to work
JOYCE LIM

6-8 minutes

Hundreds of Malaysians - from factory workers to salesmen, electricians, painters and carpenters - have crossed the Causeway to Singapore for work since last Monday.
The inflow has come as a relief for many businesses which lost their key staff when the border was closed on March 18.
Renovation firms were one of the hardest hit as about 80 per cent of their skilled workforce is from Malaysia.
Some companies in the sector have had to shut for good, said Mr Sky Tan, president of the Singapore Renovation Contractors and Material Suppliers Association.
He cited cash flow issues as one of the reasons for the closures.
Most Malaysians in the renovation trade commute daily to Singapore, he added.
When the Malaysian government closed the border in March after it saw a surge in Covid-19 cases, many of those workers were stuck at home while others sought temporary accommodation in Singapore so they could continue working.
But when Singapore went into partial lockdown and circuit breaker measures kicked in on April 7, more Malaysian workers returned home.
"Hence, when Singapore started reopening the economy in May, we couldn't start work as many of our workers were stuck in Malaysia," said Mr Alloyious Koh, chief creative consultant of Carpenters Design Group.
The staff shortage led to higher renovation costs and delays in completing projects and collecting payments. Some bigger firms have had to downsize operations while others had to shut for good.
Mr Koh said his company has brought in around 20 workers under the Periodic Commuting Arrangement (PCA) scheme and they are now serving a seven-day, stay-home notice. Once they return to work - hopefully next week - he is optimistic about getting operations back to normal.
Limited cross-border travel between Singapore and Malaysia under two schemes - the PCA and the Reciprocal Green Lane (RGL) - began last Monday.
The RGL facilitates short-term travel for essential business or official purposes between both sides for up to 14 days, while the PCA allows Singapore and Malaysia residents with long-term immigration passes for business and work in the other country to enter for work.
People who enter under the PCA scheme must stay in the country they work in for at least 90 days before they can return on home leave.
Singaporeans and Singapore permanent residents do not need the PCA to return to Singapore. However, they still need to serve stay-home notices that will be reduced from 14 to seven days from Sept 1.
Last week, Malaysian media reported that the Malaysia authorities allow a daily quota of 400 travellers under RGL and 2,000 under PCA schemes. These quotas were reached in the first three days of the border reopening.
A Ministry of Trade and Industry spokesman told The Sunday Times that the application for cross-border travel made through Johor Immigration Department is meant for travel from Singapore to Malaysia, and differs from the applications made via the Safe Travel Portal for travel from Malaysia to Singapore.
    Estimated number of Malaysians who crossed the border daily for work in pre-Covid-19 days.
    Number allowed under Reciprocal Green Lane scheme daily. Scheme facilitates short-term travel between Singapore and Malaysia for work.
    Number allowed under Periodic Commuting Arrangement scheme, which requires people to stay in the country they work in for at least 90 days before they can return on home leave.
Malaysian Association in Singapore president Aarathi Arumugam finds the cost of travel under the PCA scheme too high and unaffordable for people on lower incomes.
The uncertainty and risk are too high for them to undertake, she added, noting that if they return to Malaysia (for home leave) and get infected with Covid-19, they might end up losing their jobs here.

In pre-Covid-19 days, more than 100,000 Malaysians crossed the border daily to Singapore to work in a wide variety of jobs - chefs, hairdressers, security officers, construction supervisors and professionals - before returning home at night.

They were among the 300,000 or so people who used the Causeway daily at that time.

"The resumption of cross-border travel is, however, still a trickle compared to... before the pandemic," said Maybank Kim Eng senior economist Chua Hak Bin.

But despite the limited access, reopening the border "will help reduce some of the worker shortages faced by contractors, especially for home renovations and repairs", Dr Chua added.

American biotechnology firm Illumina, which had several hundreds of Malaysian employees commuting here daily before the pandemic, was faced with the challenge of operating with far fewer staff when Malaysia closed its border.
Illumina stayed operational during the circuit breaker and continued to supply products to customers who needed them to combat Covid-19-related activity, a spokesman told The Sunday Times.
The company has since successfully applied for over 100 Malaysians to return to work here. It is also paying for the accommodation and transport of over 200 Malaysians working here.

Electronics giant Gain City, which had 20 staff stuck in Malaysia, brought 10 back under the PCA scheme.

Ms Felicia Ng, senior manager of special projects, said the firm has paid about $10,000 for hotel accommodation, meals and swab tests for the 10 staff, who are serving the seven-day, stay-home notices.

If the test results come back negative, these workers will stay with friends and relatives and start work this week, said Ms Ng.

Malaysian Foo Tuck Hoe, 33, who returned to Singapore last Monday, said the border reopening has brought much hope to him and his family. Mr Foo, an aircon installer at Gain City, said he had been worried about not having a stable income after he found out in May that his wife was pregnant.

"I was so happy when the doctor told me my wife was pregnant. I have been yearning for a child. But two days later, I started to worry," he said in Mandarin.
Mr Foo, who used to commute daily to Singapore, is grateful to his employer for paying for his trip back: "The cost is unaffordable to me. It's equivalent to six months of my living expenses in Johor."