• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

JC: Squeeze Your Milk in Storeroom!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
May 17, 2010

Penalised for trying to be a good mum and teacher

<!-- by line --><!-- end by line -->
<!-- end left side bar --><!-- story content : start -->
I empathise with Ms Aishah Quek's frustrations over her teacher husband's life ('Work-life balance? Here's one day in the life of a teacher'; last Saturday).
My daughter, a junior college teacher for more than five years, typically works for 80 to 90 hours a week. Weekends are often reserved for marking and events related to co-curricular activity, and the so-called school holidays are filled with remedials, meetings, courses and camps.
Things got worse when she had her first child. Choosing to breastfeed for six months, she decided to take two months of no-pay leave, in addition to the four months of paid maternity leave. But she often had to return to school during this time to perform ad hoc duties assigned to her.
Upon returning to school full time, she fought a losing battle with the school administration to provide her and other mothers-to-be with a place for expressing breastmilk. It was suggested to her that she should use either the storeroom or the toilet. In the end, other teachers who took pity on her plight set up a makeshift corner in the staff room, with a shower curtain for privacy. More than five new mothers now use this corner.
My daughter was also given far more responsibilities than the average teacher when she returned to full-time teaching, so much so that it seemed like she was to complete one year's worth of work in the remaining six months.
But when performance bonuses were given out, she was not only given a pro-rated bonus (which I understand), but also a lower performance grading.
While I am very grateful for the increased maternity benefits a young family now receives, I would like to highlight that there seems to be a contradiction when Singaporeans are encouraged to have more babies, but mothers are penalised when trying to concurrently be both good mums and good workers.
She is now expecting her second child and I won't be surprised if she leaves the teaching service.
Lim Kim Siang

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
women should just stay home n be good mothers, leave the breadwining duties to the men. that way, there'd be plenty of jobs to go around for sinkies. only then, can society be balanced... sai-gang jobs can be reserved exclusively for foreign trash, then we can all sing majulah singapura together.

theDoors

Alfrescian
Loyal
women should just stay home n be good mothers, leave the breadwining duties to the men. that way, there'd be plenty of jobs to go around for sinkies. only then, can society be balanced... sai-gang jobs can be reserved exclusively for foreign trash, then we can all sing majulah singapura together.

Not when HDB prices more than doubled.

motuiti

Alfrescian
Loyal
May 17, 2010

Penalised for trying to be a good mum and teacher

<!-- by line --><!-- end by line -->
<!-- end left side bar --><!-- story content : start -->
I empathise with Ms Aishah Quek's frustrations over her teacher husband's life ('Work-life balance? Here's one day in the life of a teacher'; last Saturday).
My daughter, a junior college teacher for more than five years, typically works for 80 to 90 hours a week. Weekends are often reserved for marking and events related to co-curricular activity, and the so-called school holidays are filled with remedials, meetings, courses and camps.
Things got worse when she had her first child. Choosing to breastfeed for six months, she decided to take two months of no-pay leave, in addition to the four months of paid maternity leave. But she often had to return to school during this time to perform ad hoc duties assigned to her.
Upon returning to school full time, she fought a losing battle with the school administration to provide her and other mothers-to-be with a place for expressing breastmilk. It was suggested to her that she should use either the storeroom or the toilet. In the end, other teachers who took pity on her plight set up a makeshift corner in the staff room, with a shower curtain for privacy. More than five new mothers now use this corner.
My daughter was also given far more responsibilities than the average teacher when she returned to full-time teaching, so much so that it seemed like she was to complete one year's worth of work in the remaining six months.
But when performance bonuses were given out, she was not only given a pro-rated bonus (which I understand), but also a lower performance grading.
While I am very grateful for the increased maternity benefits a young family now receives, I would like to highlight that there seems to be a contradiction when Singaporeans are encouraged to have more babies, but mothers are penalised when trying to concurrently be both good mums and good workers.
She is now expecting her second child and I won't be surprised if she leaves the teaching service.
Lim Kim Siang

typically works for 80 to 90 hours a week - is this typical of a teacher's life? What kind of lifestyle is this!

Subok

Alfrescian
Loyal

I do not blame the women.. generally I blame the men and myself inclusive.. There was a movement in USA called the Promisekeepers. The movement emphasizes that men must take up their carnal responsibility if being a GOOD father, GOOD husband and GOOD son...

If men can fulfill this role ... many of our households would be in order... women would not need to work for money sake but maybe out of interest because their men provided well for them.. Children would not be led astray as their fathers were there for them... Mothers would not be left with heartaches if their sons were filial and there for them.

Many women thought this is a male chauvinistic movement but it was not and it was greatly misunderstood. But later in fact MORE mothers, wives, and daughters literally threw their men into the Promisekeepers movement because the witness a dramatic change in their men.

Women would not have to toil or take leadership (not that they are useless..) but because we men vacate our carnal given responsibility that they have to assume....

There is a joke on internet that goes like this:-

There are 3 big secrets in the world namely:

1. The recipe of Coke-Ca-Cola.
2. The entire wealth of the British Monarch.
3. The disappearance of Good Men

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
she fought a losing battle with the school administration to provide her and other mothers-to-be with a place for expressing breastmilk. It was suggested to her that she should use either the storeroom or the toilet. In the end, other teachers who took pity on her plight set up a makeshift corner in the staff room, with a shower curtain for privacy. More than five new mothers now use this corner.

She should be proud to be a mother, just express her milk in the Public since the school management is so under "understanding". Breast is beautiful.

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not when HDB prices more than doubled.
HDB prices doubled, tripled, tenfold... who's fault? gahmen's fault mah. when i was growing up, many families only required 1 breadwinner to bring home the bacon. the mom happily stay home to manage domestic affairs. all thanks to the 66% of idiots that brought his problem on us all.

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do not blame the women.. generally I blame the men and myself inclusive.. There was a movement in USA called the Promisekeepers. The movement emphasizes that men must take up their carnal responsibility if being a GOOD father, GOOD husband and GOOD son...

If men can fulfill this role ... many of our households would be in order... women would not need to work for money sake but maybe out of interest because their men provided well for them.. Children would not be led astray as their fathers were there for them... Mothers would not be left with heartaches if their sons were filial and there for them.

Many women thought this is a male chauvinistic movement but it was not and it was greatly misunderstood. But later in fact MORE mothers, wives, and daughters literally threw their men into the Promisekeepers movement because the witness a dramatic change in their men.

Women would not have to toil or take leadership (not that they are useless..) but because we men vacate our carnal given responsibility that they have to assume....

There is a joke on internet that goes like this:-

There are 3 big secrets in the world namely:

1. The recipe of Coke-Ca-Cola.
2. The entire wealth of the British Monarch.
3. The disappearance of Good Men

brother...... that is what the woman's charter was designed for. it was a safety net for the dependent women. today, since women r already self-sufficient.... they dont need the woman's charter. or if it is still necessary, the T&C of the charter should be reviewed, cos its clearly obsolete by today's standards.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
she fought a losing battle with the school administration to provide her and other mothers-to-be with a place for expressing breastmilk. It was suggested to her that she should use either the storeroom or the toilet. In the end, other teachers who took pity on her plight set up a makeshift corner in the staff room, with a shower curtain for privacy. More than five new mothers now use this corner.

She should be proud to be a mother, just express her milk in the Public since the school management is so under "understanding". Breast is beautiful.

hi there

1. one more thing to add: just cry aloud and get all the attention mah!
2. next, approach aware for more action.
3. then, go and see the mp!
4. male sheep and female sheep really screwed up!

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

hi there

1. one more thing to add: just cry aloud and get all the attention mah!
2. next, approach aware for more action.
3. then, go and see the mp!
4. male sheep and female sheep really screwed up!

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who told women to come out to work in the first place? Stay at home, do the housework and take care of the kids!

Work is mostly meant for the men!