• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

JB-SIN-JB Commuting Times (DAILY)

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
You'll face a double whammy when the gantries at the Malaysian Customs will be in operation, probably by next year. Thereafter, it will be 100% passport screening for all motorcyclists at the in/out Malaysian Customs. Currently, most Malaysian motorcyclists will just bo-chap and ride pass the Customs booths during peak hours, thus lessening the jam tremendously.

Will just have to see how terrible I will die by then lor...

edragon

Alfrescian
Loyal
But those Singaporeans who own properties in Johor and go in and out every weekday to work should be ok?

Buying properties is a personal matter. One can also buy a property in Thailand, Hong Kong, Australia, London etc. but can one stay there (in the property) for one year or two on a one month or 6 months visit pass?
So, just be discrete.

I remember hearing this over the announcement in SS supermarket: "$1 only while stocks lasts" so when the stocks is sold, it is GONE!!!

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember read about the maximum stay for foreigners is 180days per calendar year under the one month visit pass rule.
Also, the officers have a "right" to reject your multiple entries if entrant is not under a bona fide visit but they are ...."eye close"
Under the double taxation agreement, the 183 days stay deciding factor is another. If you stay physically more than 183days in Malaysia and do not pay Malaysia income tax by the withholding tax, you are against the law. Serious!!!
So, just be discrete.

Even if you are deemed to be a tax resident in MY (>183 days rule), there's not much taxes to be paid because your income is not earned in MY but in SG. You are already paying income tax in SG. Paying taxes again in MY on incomes taxed in SG will be a violation of the double taxation agreement betw SG and MY.

In summary, no issue with the 183 days, if it's ever implemented (which I doubt).

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even if you are deemed to be a tax resident in MY (>183 days rule), there's not much taxes to be paid because your income is not earned in MY but in SG. You are already paying income tax in SG. Paying taxes again in MY on incomes taxed in SG will be a violation of the double taxation agreement betw SG and MY.

In summary, no issue with the 183 days, if it's ever implemented (which I doubt).

Yah...I think that is more for tax purposes...applicable for expatriates or for those who work short periods in Malaysia and earning income in Malaysia.

I think technically, or is it legally speaking, there is probably no issue with Singaporeans living in JB by ensuring that they do not exceed the 30 day stay per entry. Just make sure before 30 days are up you go out of Malaysia. Am I right?

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yah...I think that is more for tax purposes...applicable for expatriates or for those who work short periods in Malaysia and earning income in Malaysia.

I think technically, or is it legally speaking, there is probably no issue with Singaporeans living in JB by ensuring that they do not exceed the 30 day stay per entry. Just make sure before 30 days are up you go out of Malaysia. Am I right?

Yah I think so too........ Of course, just like SG, the MY authorities still have the right to bar you from entering anytime. Though I havent quite seen it being enforced yet. Also it's unlikely to be enforced in the near term, given the state of friendly relationships betw SG and the MY PM/Johor Sultan......

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yah I think so too........ Of course, just like SG, the MY authorities still have the right to bar you from entering anytime. Though I havent quite seen it being enforced yet. Also it's unlikely to be enforced in the near term, given the state of friendly relationships betw SG and the MY PM/Johor Sultan......

Barring entry has to be with some good reason too, I suppose?

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal

I think My government would not do such stupid thing which would kill off iskandar plan. I also don't think the Johor sultan would stand idly by watching his pet project going down the drain....unless MY were to be run by IS.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think My government would not do such stupid thing which would kill off iskandar plan. I also don't think the Johor sultan would stand idly by watching his pet project going down the drain....unless MY were to be run by IS.

Since the JB Sultan already said that in future it would be the norm for Singaporeans to work in SG but live in JB, I suppose he will see to it that such movement of people would not be hindered?

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/johor-sultan-singaporeans-will-live-johor-and-work-singapore

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyoh... :(

I tried using Tuas before....can ride and cry at same time...because also can be jammed like hell and distance to home more than doubled! :( The only good thing about Tuas side is that there is no upslope viaduct like Woodlands, so can switch off engine and push bike on flat road. At Woodlands viaduct...always must keep hands on brakes or else bike roll back, and must keep engine on because no bull strength to keep pushing uphill.:o

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dunno how much you can trust the Johor prince. He can say whatever he wants. But ultimately, the Iskandar plan has its own course of action to take. Things can also be slowed down, cancelled or be delayed.

If the traffic problem can't be solved, it's problematic for Singaporeans to consider staying in Johor and working in SG. I think the problem can't be solved so easily? Whatever mode of transport, there will always be custom checks and this on its own will take some time. They won't compromise on safety.

It'd be good if we are like European countries. You go in and out of the various EU countries without passport or immigration checks.

Johor will thrive overnight if vehicles can just travel along the causeway without any custom stops. This is impossible, of course.

Since the JB Sultan already said that in future it would be the norm for Singaporeans to work in SG but live in JB, I suppose he will see to it that such movement of people would not be hindered?

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/johor-sultan-singaporeans-will-live-johor-and-work-singapore

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

Actually SG customs have barred entry to Malaysians who come in to SG too often, but without the relevant entry permits. So far, there's nothing to suggest that MY customs is planning a tit for tat.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually SG customs have barred entry to Malaysians who come in to SG too often, but without the relevant entry permits. So far, there's nothing to suggest that MY customs is planning a tit for tat.

SG is small country so maybe want to limit people...JB probably need more people to go in and spend?

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dunno how much you can trust the Johor prince. He can say whatever he wants. But ultimately, the Iskandar plan has its own course of action to take. Things can also be slowed down, cancelled or be delayed.

If the traffic problem can't be solved, it's problematic for Singaporeans to consider staying in Johor and working in SG. I think the problem can't be solved so easily? Whatever mode of transport, there will always be custom checks and this on its own will take some time. They won't compromise on safety.

It'd be good if we are like European countries. You go in and out of the various EU countries without passport or immigration checks.

Johor will thrive overnight if vehicles can just travel along the causeway without any custom stops. This is impossible, of course.

The Prince can say what he want but the fact remained Immigration and Infrastructure is under the purview of the Government.
The Royals are bound by Constitution that they cannot interfere in any decisions the Government.
Hard facts but it will be very difficult to have free movements at all.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Prince can say what he want but the fact remained Immigration and Infrastructure is under the purview of the Government.
The Royals are bound by Constitution that they cannot interfere in any decisions the Government.
Hard facts but it will be very difficult to have free movements at all.

True but except on one thing.
The Johore Royal family has vast business interest in the state, especially in real estate (like partnering with Country Garden), hence they will tend to have specific interests in the State's development.
Last year's controversial proposed amendments to the State Housing Bill is an example.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
True but except on one thing.
The Johore Royal family has vast business interest in the state, especially in real estate (like partnering with Country Garden), hence they will tend to have specific interests in the State's development.
Last year's controversial proposed amendments to the State Housing Bill is an example.

State level and Federal level different.

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal

The Sultan could probably influence against decision that drastically make foreigners living in iskandar untenable but might not do much about things like traffic jams and some higher entry fees or other less drastic obstacles.

Dinarissa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi there

I am a teacher working in sg and living in jb (for about 1.5 years now). From experience, we leave the house at about 5am and cross customs at about 6am. It's a 20 mins drive from my hometown Malaysian customs.

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal
That means to wake up at 4am?
Bed latest by 10pm.

:o

In some small town and villages folks prepare to go to bed when it gets dark. That is ancient people's life style too when every where got dark and only things to do was to put kids to sleep and every one should be in dreamland by 9 am(even after the occasional baby making activities). I think it may be alright to have this life style again.

Last edited:

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually sleep early wake up early is good for body as long as can get a good 7hrs of uninterrupted deep sleep.

:p