• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

It's the fault of foreign drivers

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,202619,00.html?

It's the fault of foreign drivers
Our readers claim these drivers are reckless and cause many accidents
By Amanda Yong

NP_IMAGES_AMLORRY20.jpg

May 21, 2009

CRUSHED: The lorry that was in the accident on Monday that killed four foreign workers. PICTURE: LIANHE WANBAO

BLAME it on the drivers.

They weave in and out of lanes, ignore traffic rules and have no regard for road safety.

Or so claim an overwhelming majority of readers who called or wrote in reacting to yesterday's report on an accident that killed four foreign workers on Gul Road early Monday morning.

The readers' bone of contention: Foreign drivers - and whether more needs to be done to ensure that they are qualified to drive on Singapore roads.

In the accident, a lorry driven by a foreign worker rammed into a parked trailer. Three of the four who died, along with five others who were injured, were riding in the back of the lorry. The workers - including the driver - were from India and Bangladesh.

The problem lies with foreign drivers at the wheel of lorries transporting their fellow foreign workers, said 23 of 27 readers who e-mailed or called The New Paper yesterday.

Reader Elangovan, 44, a lorry driver for 15 years, disclosed a little-known fact: That all it takes for a foreign worker to qualify to drive in Singapore is to pass the basic theory test. He found out from mixing with foreign drivers at work that many obtain their driving licences in their home countries.

'They don't need to sit for the practical driving test here. So at the end of the day, we don't know whether they actually know how to drive,' he said.

He felt that many drivers from foreign countries are inexperienced. 'When they drive back home, they're reckless. There are no signboards, no regulations, so when they come here they get confused.'

Confirmation with traffic police

A check with the traffic police website confirmed what Mr Elangovan said, at least for drivers of Class 3 and 3A vehicles. This comprises cars with an unladen weight of up to 3,000kg, and motor tractors and other motor vehicles with an unladen weight of up to 2,500kg.

The lorry involved in Monday's accident would fall under this classification.

But a foreigner holding a foreign licence of Class 4 and above is subject to more stringent requirements - he will have to 'go through training and a prescribed practical test... No direct conversion is granted for these heavy vehicle licences', according to the traffic police website.

Another Singaporean lorry driver, Mr S Sundarajan Rajan, called for stronger action against errant drivers.

He said in an e-mail: 'I think it's not really the mode of transport that is the issue, it's the drivers. Either the traffic police have to scrutinise these people before issuing them the licence or not issue them one at all.'

Mr Rehmat Kiwon, 54, a lorry driver with 35 years of experience and who works in the Jurong area, said: 'These drivers are reckless. They never give way and look like they are racing each other. I don't know what they're chasing.'

One reader recalled a close shave a month ago when his car escaped with a bent side mirror after a lorry driven by a foreign worker brushed against his car.

Mr Chia K S, 58, a chauffeur, said: 'The lorry overtook my car without signalling. Luckily I braked in time.'

There were foreign workers at the back of the lorry at the time. Mr Chia said he knew the driver was a foreigner because he took down the man's particulars for claims on his motor insurance.

A dormitory supervisor who gave his name as Mr Ramasamy, 59, is concerned about the lorries ferrying foreign workers, even in the wee hours of the morning, at Tuas where he works.

He said: 'I usually start work at 3am, but I am scared to drive there (to his Tuas workplace) because they (the lorry drivers) always speed. (The authorities) shouldn't give licences to these foreigners.'

Teacher Nur Mawarni, 24, said: 'There needs to be stricter imposition and reinforcement of traffic rules. Maybe more traffic police officers should be deployed to ensure that drivers ferrying workers do not exceed the 60kmh speed limit.

'In the meantime, we need to begin work to better protect these workers rather than wait for more to lose their lives.'

Others said the companies should also be held responsible.

Technician V Ramasamy wrote in an e-mail: '(the company) should... ensure safe transportation for the workers by providing 'safe' drivers.'

But another reader, who only gave his name as bobhairi, said he believed that regardless of road safety rules, 'if the drivers (have) bad attitude on the road, no matter (whether) you take a car, bus or any other (type of transport), accidents will happen.'

He added: 'The Government can make (a) thousand regulations, (but) I believe accidents will happen. It all depends on the drivers...'

Mr Elangovan agreed. 'When I carry 25 people with me, I always tell myself that these people are my responsibility. At the end of the day, even if you don't die, somebody else dies.'

Additional reporting by Pearly Tan, newsroom intern

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Blame it on bosses who cut corners. Some drivers dun even have licence !

Please go tell that....labour woman ( i shall not go racist, on this), that the problem lies with themselves , whoever is collecting revenues by 'close one eye' issuing driving licences to all these Indian, Bangladeshi, China, etc..who not only drive movable vehicles, forklifts & any ther types of vehicles; without proper training & supervision; to cut costs.

The problem is not ferrying the workers in open lorries, vans etc..the problem lies with the person driving those vehicles. There are some of them who drive without licences...they just do not get caught, and some so have legitimate licences and working for some employers, but moonlight ferrying workers to the shipyards, workplaces etc... to earn extra cash!

The fingers point back to the authorities who is 'seduced' by the revenues collected, forgo the need for saefty.

And when accidents occur, it is YOUR FaULT, being COMPLACENT, IRRESPONSIBLE, & BREAKING THE LAW.

YOU FAULT...:mad:

Blazars

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree that its the foreign drivers fault. Sometimes i find those lorries driving & cornering as fast as i am driving my car. And i am not driving too slow. I feel like telling these drivers, "do you know u have 10/20+ lives sitting dehind you? Can you please drive slower?"
!&!!

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal
Blame it on bosses who cut corners. Some drivers dun even have licence !

That's right bro, I heard it from the horse's mouth, foreigners bought their licences back home and the SG government just let these people drive on Singapore roads.

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
for those who drive, this is not uncommon to see those vans driven by indian or bang-ka-lar speeding and get so near like want to kiss the car in the next lane. this is the karma.