• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious It's Official! Sitting On Your Ass Is Considered A Sport! If Contract Bridge Is A Sport, How About Poker?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
TODAY features three national athletes who are making their debuts at the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta and Palembang, Indonesia from Aug 18 to Sept 2.

Rower Joan Poh, 27, teenage swimmer Gan Ching Hwee, 15, and 82-year-old contract bridge player Jane Choo talk about their pre-game jitters, their goals, and what competing in the region's biggest and most prestigious sports event means to them.

ADVERTISEMENT

JAKARTA — Grandmother-of-five Jane Choo is possibly the only athlete in Team SG at the Asian Games who need not have to watch what she eats and drinks during her training.

The 82-year-old, who enjoys travelling, reading and watching movies in her free time, is competing at the 2018 Asian Games for the first time as a contract bridge player.

She has been playing the card game for more than 50 years, and finally made it to the quadrennial Games because this is the first time that bridge is part of the 40-sport roster in Indonesia.

Choo, who was born in 1935 before the first edition of the Asian Games was held in 1951 in New Delhi, India, is not even the oldest player competing at the 2018 Games. That honour goes to Kong Te Yang of the Philippines, who is 85.

Contract bridge has some of the oldest sporting talents among the 17,000 athletes competing at the Games, with three players aged above 80, 11 aged 70 to 79 — including Indonesian billionaire tobacco tycoon Michael Bambang Hartono, who is 78 — and 30 players who are aged 60 to 69.

While some may scoff at the idea of card-playing, saying it is not a physical sport, they had better not tell that to Choo.

20180820_mf_asian_games_contract_bridge_jane_choo_03.jpg

The former school teacher told TODAY: "Anyone who has any doubt that bridge is competitive has only to attend our normal weekly event and regular competitions to be convinced (that it is)."

At the 2011 SEA Games in Indonesia, Choo took home a silver in the women's team event. The octogenarian is hoping for more medal glory when she returns to the Indonesian capital of Jakarta on Aug 26 to compete with the women's team.

"I'm very honoured and excited to compete in my first Asian Games. I hope to do Singapore proud, and try to win a medal."

Choo, who has two sons and a daughter aged 56 to 61, and five adult grandchildren, started playing the game when she was 30 because she found it "intellectually stimulating".

She has since spent the last five decades mastering her game and in 2008, she attained world master standing — a ranking awarded by the World Bridge Federation to players who have competed and finished in the top three in a number of local and international tournaments.

To brush up her skills, Choo reads "a good number of bridge books and journals", and plays "at least weekly" with her partners at the Singapore Contract Bridge Association.

https://www.todayonline.com/world/-debutant-82-contract-bridge-player-jane-choo-shiny-medal

JustLikeThis

Alfrescian
Loyal
Waiting for Karaoke to be included as a SEA Games event, sub-divide based on age categories.
Then can go Selegie KTVs recruit the best.

ToaPehGong

Alfrescian
Loyal
At the 2011 SEA Games in Indonesia, Choo took home a silver in the women's team event. The octogenarian is hoping for more medal glory when she returns to the Indonesian capital of Jakarta on Aug 26 to compete with the women's team.

"I'm very honoured and excited to compete in my first Asian Games. I hope to do Singapore proud, and try to win a medal."
IMG_20180821_184547.jpg

200k for gold. Of course proud lah

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Its a peripheral sport just like fishing and wanking.
agree, both these sports can affect the peripheral vision (skimming over the reflected rays of sunshine and involuntary violent squinting of the eyes) are fine till you need glasses, and not until one goes blind :rolleyes: