• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious It's Official! Singapore Mainstream Media Is Neither Biased Nor Fake!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
walter-warren.jpg

SINGAPORE: In the age of social media, which gives the public more sources of news, there is no reason for Singapore’s mainstream media outlets to be partisan in its reporting, senior editors of Mediacorp and The Straits Times said on Friday (Mar 23).

They were addressing a parliamentary Select Committee on Deliberate Online Falsehoods (DOFs), set up to explore the likes of fake news and its countermeasures - including legislation.

Nominated Member of Parliament Chia Yong Yong, who sits on the panel, suggested that notwithstanding the perpetuation of DOFs, trust in mainstream media “is still high but not as high as it used to be”.

“On the ground, there would have been some erosion of trust,” she said. “There is a perception in certain quarters that the mainstream press is pro-ruling party, or pro-Government, and in some quarters they say mainstream media has now swung the other way.”

In response, Mediacorp's editor-in-chief Walter Fernandez said: “Before the social media advent, there were far fewer brands of news sources. These were larger, more dominant and enjoyed a higher degree of trust.

“The significant fragmentation of the audience has left them with a significantly wider choice … We are judged now quite differently by the expectations of an audience that has moved on significantly, and we have to fight to earn their trust on a daily basis now.”

“In that sort of environment, against that sort of landscape, it does us no justice to want to be ‘pro-A’ or ‘pro-B’ in that sense," Mr Fernandez added.

“Our fundamental premise is we have to provide accurate, contextual and timely information to audiences and allow them to make up their minds.

Ultimately … (in) moments of crisis, we see people coming back to mainstream media. That speaks to the trust there is within our organisations and the trust Singaporeans hold up the two mainstream media companies with.”

Said Mr Warren Fernandez, editor of The Straits Times: “Over the last five, 10 years we’ve tried extremely hard to be fair, balanced and objective because we see our role as not trying to play up one party or the other, but to give our readers as much information as they can to make decisions for themselves.

“If we were biased, we would be clearly called out on social media. It would backfire and affect our credibility, so we wouldn’t be inclined to do that. I don’t think it does anybody any service if we tried to … it would be a disservice to our readers, a disservice to our journalists, and ultimately I think a disservice to Singapore.”

ON CENSORSHIP, MAKING MISTAKES

Mr Warren Fernandez also told the Committee that an “important distinction” needed to be made between the “exercising of judgment by editors, and censorship or self-censorship”.

“Before we publish anything, we would want to assure ourselves that the content we are putting out is not libelous, unfair or biased … it’s us exercising responsibility,” he said.

“We recognise it’s a duty, and we make judgment calls and we take constant feedback from many sources - newsmakers, readers, organisations ... that’s the critical role a responsible media organisation would play.

“If you’re going to have a meaningful exchange and debate, you need informed decisions. It’s not a matter of every view being put out there, and have a slugfest, and expect sweetness and light to emerge.”

Committee member Dr Janil Puthucheary, who is also Senior Minister of State for Communications and Information, also quizzed the editors on how they internally dealt with falsehoods and mistakes.

Mr Jaime Ho, Channel NewsAsia’s chief editor of digital news, said there would be “full transparency” in explaining why the mistake was made and telling the actual truth.

Mr Walter Fernandez added that there is “zero tolerance” for falsehoods, “whether low or high impact”, and pointed to multiple checks within the newsroom.

“If we do want to differentiate ourselves from the other social media players; the other purported news organisations; one-man operations and stuff like that - we have to take a single position.”

Said Mr Warren Fernandez of The Straits Times: “We take mistakes, inaccuracies and wrong information we put out extremely seriously. We would want to check and find out what happened and why, and take remedial action.

“The sense of angst felt in newsrooms when something like that happens is tremendous - because we know the trust earned from the public is precious, and not to be taken lightly at all.”

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...nment-say-singapore-mainstream-media-10070790

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
All this wayang I scrath your back U scratch my back mutual stimulation and masturbation among PAP members and lackeys.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All this wayang I scrath your back U scratch my back mutual stimulation and masturbation among PAP members and lackeys.
I do not know it was my genes or what, but I always find Warren Fernandez's face quite disgusting to look at.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
“Before we publish anything, we would want to assure ourselves that the content we are putting out is not libelous, unfair or biased … it’s us exercising responsibility,” he said.

Haha... this seems only to apply when they're reporting on PAP members. When it comes to reporting the activities of CSJ these principles go out the window.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Haha... this seems only to apply when they're reporting on PAP members. When it comes to reporting the activities of CSJ these principles go out the window.

Please Boss Sam, don't be libelous.

The Straits Times has always reported fairly and accurately. If it weren't, it would have long ago been sued multiple times by oppies for defamation.

The ST has always reported accurately on CSJ: He's a political gangster, unreliable, a cheat and a loser who can't hold down a steady job.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I see a group of good local politicians with great CVs. Any organization would be glad to hire them. Oppies, on the other hand, have problems graduating with average results. It was said that old Chiam did badly in his O level exams. He was lucky to get 7, not 6 credits, for his O level cert.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I see a group of good local politicians with great CVs. Any organization would be glad to hire them. Oppies, on the other hand, have problems graduating with average results. It was said that old Chiam did badly in his O level exams. He was lucky to get 7, not 6 credits, for his O level cert.

I agree they all have outstanding CVs my question is whether their "Jiak Liao Bee" ratings are accurate.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I agree they all have outstanding CVs my question is whether their "Jiak Liao Bee" ratings are accurate.

They are certainly not 'jiak liao bee'. Our PAP ministers and MPs work very hard for the people. They wear many hats, serving the people in the government, in parliament, town council, grassroots, meet the people's sessions, trade unions and other government select committees. Oppies, on the other hand, are very jiak liao bee. Other than their town council jobs, most of them have nothing to do and spend their time in meaningless activities.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please Boss Sam, don't be libelous.

The Straits Times has always reported fairly and accurately. If it weren't, it would have long ago been sued multiple times by oppies for defamation.

The ST has always reported accurately on CSJ: He's a political gangster, unreliable, a cheat and a loser who can't hold down a steady job.

Thanks for the Saturday joke.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They are certainly not 'jiak liao bee'. Our PAP ministers and MPs work very hard for the people. They wear many hats, serving the people in the government, in parliament, town council, grassroots, meet the people's sessions, trade unions and other government select committees. Oppies, on the other hand, are very jiak liao bee. Other than their town council jobs, most of them have nothing to do and spend their time in meaningless activities.

Where else do they have PART-TIME MPs earning $250k? Only in Sinkapore!