• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

It's confirmed TCS shows were crap!

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wayne Wang sets sights on Singapore
'Joy Luck Club' director says city-state is 'ready' for more

By Janine Stein

Oct 8, 2008, 10:51 AM ET
SINGAPORE -- Chinese-American director Wayne Wang is talking to Singapore financiers, directors and film industry authorities about making movies in the Southeast Asian city-state.

Lauded both for his art house efforts such as "Smoke" and for his mainstream movies such as "Maid in Manhattan" and "The Joy Luck Club," Wang spoke to The Hollywood Reporter Wednesday on the eve of an Oct. 9-15 retrospective of his work at Singapore's Golden Village cinemas.

Wang's two most recent films, "A Thousand Years of Good Prayers" and "The Princess of Nebraska," will open here on Oct. 16.

For a long time, Singapore was not on Wang's filmmaking radar because he long thought that films and television produced here were "rather boring."

"They were always very middle of the road. But lately I have seen more interesting things coming out of Singapore," he said.

Now, Wang, who was born in Hong Kong, says he has several scripts that could "easily be adapted to Singapore" and be ready by spring.

"I don't think anyone has really made a contemporary film about Singapore, so I'm very intrigued," said Wang, adding that the films' budgets could range from $1 million or less up to $10 million to $15 million for a mainstream movie with star casting.

Wang's latest project is based on Chinese novelist and filmmaker Guo Xiaolu's book, "A Concise Chinese English Dictionary for Lovers," about a young woman from China who goes to school in England and falls in love with an Englishman in his 40s.

"I'm interested in Zhang Ziyi and Jude Law for it. They would be a great couple," Wang said.

Wang also said he is exploring working with five or six young filmmakers in Singapore on lower budget films "that not only have the Singapore character but will also be accessible to the outside market."

"It's not just about me making a film here, but the idea of working with some of the really talented, interesting filmmakers I've met here," he said. "Eric (Khoo) and Royston (Tan) have done some, but there are more to be made. Singapore is ready."

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
lolx, we still have "jack neo" too. LOLX:wink:

don't you find fann wong's acting skills have improved?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Um9wM4gH1Qo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Um9wM4gH1Qo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
actors & actresses abroad mature & move on to the silverscreens when they chalk enough experience. our's stuck within the box on the wall, except for the very few who're hand-picked/ given the opportunity (not because they auditioned & got it)

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
<<
Singapore financiers
>>

that is the crucial point. Singapore govt got rich on FREE LABOUR explotation of NS slaves.
at night when it is quiet , if you listen carefully , you can hear scream of pain from the torture of JBJ in hell for forsaking NS slaves even when he pretend to fight for our rights.

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
<<
don't you find fann wong's acting skills have improved?\
>>

everytime I see jack neo name I want to vomit.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wish I can get excited. Well, at least the top Aussie actors/actresses can get into Hollywood. Ours can't even get into HK permanently, let alone a decent run of cameos or speaking roles.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
tcs shows are craps. they know it and try using new young gals to wear bikini.:eek:

but since itz craps and stop watch the tv program, still need to pay the tv license annually, tatz crap too.:eek:

sherrry

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wish I can get excited. Well, at least the top Aussie actors/actresses can get into Hollywood. Ours can't even get into HK permanently, let alone a decent run of cameos or speaking roles.
Actually, some of our local actors (I've never considered them as celebrities), have had their 3sec cameo appearences in HK productions. Tay Ping Hui appeared as a loser bf to sammi cheng in the movie - Summer Holidays.
summerholiday.jpg

few of our other theatric veterans were featured in the movie - Anna & the King.
image.php

Lim Kay Siu, Neo Swee Lin, Lim Yu Beng, etc.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
These films were made many many years ago. Anna and the King is a ten year old film.

Whereas Huge Jackman and Russell Crowe have been in films, as the main role and have been paid millions of dollars. The late Heath Ledger was nominated for an Oscar once, and could possibly win a posthumous Oscar for his role in The Dark Knight.

The likes of Tony Leung in HK are so well acclaimed across the world as well. Tony is probably gonna be in a Hollywood film soon, and is well respected by the likes of Robert De Niro.

That's the massive gap between our own stars and the ones in HK and in Australia.

sherrry

Alfrescian
Loyal
These films were made many many years ago. Anna and the King is a ten year old film.

Whereas Huge Jackman and Russell Crowe have been in films, as the main role and have been paid millions of dollars. The late Heath Ledger was nominated for an Oscar once, and could possibly win a posthumous Oscar for his role in The Dark Knight.

The likes of Tony Leung in HK are so well acclaimed across the world as well. Tony is probably gonna be in a Hollywood film soon, and is well respected by the likes of Robert De Niro.

That's the massive gap between our own stars and the ones in HK and in Australia.
I'm not opposing the fact that our local acting is inferior, but compared to the countries in reference, they've had many more decades of performing accolades as compared to our solitary TV station.

The problem in our flawed perfomring legacy lies not only in the company's policies, but the much needed aid to groom credible performers is lacking severely. Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe as you've examplified were none other groomed & matured theatre performers.

Performers eventually spotted & scouted, invited for auditions, and thereforth springs a new chapter in their novels for stardom.

In SG, the durian is nothing more than an empty shell. A platform for organizers to guzzle $ from viewing patrons. Our local starving artistes very much confined within the performing studios for their practices & small-time gigs.

It appears that none in the cabinet was assigned to see to it that the ideals of the late president OTC is being carried through. To sum it all up, they're just a bunch of merry men without any idea of what's going on. Matters top on their list have been nothing more than profiteering measures.