• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

It finally happened..............

jw5

Loyal
Manufacturing........

Out of the 8, 3 were managers, 2 engineer, 2 technicians and 1 in administrative.
Morale is low, got a feeling, most, if not all, already looking for jobs.....

Some of the younger engineers, has since found jobs and move on......

It was an honest mistake...............let's move on. :(

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Manufacturing........

Out of the 8, 3 were managers, 2 engineer, 2 technicians and 1 in administrative.
Morale is low, got a feeling, most, if not all, already looking for jobs.....

Some of the younger engineers, has since found jobs and move on......

Your place at Serangoon?

babuSingh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those older folks who are living in their own world and comfort ever since they join the company after graduation are the saddest. They are not up to date with the industry trends, dont know what is happening in the department yet want to show the everyone they are the old birds. When retrenchment hits, these guys will eat the shit left over by themselves all these years and there will be no one to help them

Manager

Don't mess with me
Generous Asset
deadwood should be discard long ago,
get your walking boot ready, you are next!

The dreaded "R" word finally caught up within the company..........8 of my colleagues (now ex) was being retrenched......

The mood was sombre and those not affected was very quiet, and I guess afraid, if they will be next, being asked to go into HR.

And no, it's not a April fools joke......they were asked to leave and by noon time, all 8 of them were gone, their cubicles messed up and their personal belongings cleared.

No mood for lunch that day.......wondering, if I will be next........

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The malls are busy, the restaurants are still packed. While life may suck for the small numbers being retrenched, the vast majority of sinkies will survive the financial downturn with their finances largely intact.

I hope you are right ...because people like you will be the first to be lynched when sinkees see no hope. At some point, the truth about the PAP will come out and without a proper mechanism for peaceful removal of the government, chaos will ensue.

rotiprata

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, you are completely right. Some companies are worse, they will reduce pay, reduce workdays to make you quit and never announce the R word because if you worked 10 years, they got to reimburse you 10months. Some even force you to switch to a 2-year employment contract and then sack you two years later without need for any compensation. Another media firm in town simply declare the company insolvent and close down the company and get HR renegotiate all employment terms with existing stuff under another newly restructured business name.

So if a company swee swee issue the R word with proper compensation, give them some credit for not playing dirty.

fren; 1yr-1mth.... me no think so, unless it's black n white in the letter of employment/collective agreement
there is no law from the MOM that companies which R need to compensate their staff 1y-1m....
any compensation less a/m is purely out of the employer good faith

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
fren; 1yr-1mth.... me no think so, unless it's black n white in the letter of employment/collective agreement
there is no law from the MOM that companies which R need to compensate their staff 1y-1m....

While did not have a chance to ask the ex colleagues, I believe it's 2 weeks for every 1 year of services......

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
The malls are busy, the restaurants are still packed. While life may suck for the small numbers being retrenched, the vast majority of sinkies will survive the financial downturn with their finances largely intact.

I think its the denial syndrome. People acting as if nothing is wrong even though they have been laid off.

452SAR

Alfrescian
Loyal

yes, that's why i feel that at least a company is not so bad if they retrench with proper compensation.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I hope you are right ...because people like you will be the first to be lynched when sinkees see no hope. At some point, the truth about the PAP will come out and without a proper mechanism for peaceful removal of the government, chaos will ensue.

If most sinkies have jobs, money, nice HDB flats to stay in, opposition will never have a chance.

Boliao

Alfrescian
Loyal

Shops are closing down and retail has drop by more then 30% YoY. Yet, landlords are still asking for sky high rentals. With more retrenchment on the way, the shops will be closing down soon.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Shops are closing down and retail has drop by more then 30% YoY. Yet, landlords are still asking for sky high rentals. With more retrenchment on the way, the shops will be closing down soon.

Really? The suburban malls that most sinkies visit are crowded.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Those older folks who are living in their own world and comfort ever since they join the company after graduation are the saddest. They are not up to date with the industry trends, dont know what is happening in the department yet want to show the everyone they are the old birds. When retrenchment hits, these guys will eat the shit left over by themselves all these years and there will be no one to help them

Only one staff is long serving, i.e., more than 10 years, most are between 5 to 6 years, the lest service is less than 2 years......

452SAR

Alfrescian
Loyal

I agree it is a little tougher now. Nex is partially owned by Ntuc/labour foundation and nobody will say that they have no crowd

But they also got to raise $$$ this coming week.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
And the most crowded shops are the kopi + roti places. :wink:

I am a big believer of kopi places. Proud shareholder of Breadtalk and Starbucks! People on the whole are getting more affluent. They will have more time and money for coffee.

jw5

Loyal
I am a big believer of kopi places. Proud shareholder of Breadtalk and Starbucks! People on the whole are getting more affluent. They will have more time and money for coffee.

Starbucks is not considered a kopi + roti place you dumbass. It is considered a coffee + cake place. :biggrin:

Boliao

Alfrescian
Loyal