• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Indonesian apology

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Somehow, i have this feeling that the indon government finally apologize simply coz this time the haze also happens to screw m'sia up big time.

In the world of politics, size really does matters. Singapore is just too insignificant in the bigger scheme of things, and our impotent government just serve to make things worse.

Let's hope the haze goes further north to Bangkok and we can see how beautiful Yingluck will react!!

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Seriously the guy is detached. Living in the UK for sometime has probably moved his thought process. Funnily I thought Nathan despite all the fun made of him was more people inclusive.

The moon thing was beyond ridiculous. The Johore Sultan not only explained why the state of emergency was needed, he also provided some good basic advice and said that he will spend 2 days in Muar to be with his people after he finishes his conference of Rulers in KL.

I honestly have no clue what TT is doing at the Istana.

Playing chess and wei qi and practising very hard to act and look presidential! :rolleyes:

AceFrehley

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

25 June 2013 - 04H00

Indonesian president apologises over haze

photo_1372125415871-1-0.jpg

Haze shrouds Malaysia's landmark Petronas Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur on June 23, 2013. Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has apologised to Singapore and Malaysia after they were cloaked in thick haze from raging forest fires on Sumatra island.

AFP - Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has apologised to Singapore and Malaysia after they were cloaked in thick haze from raging forest fires on Sumatra island.

"As the president of Indonesia, I apologise for what has happened and ask for the understanding of the people of Malaysia and Singapore," he said late Monday.

"We accept it is our responsibility to tackle the problem."

Yudhoyono's comments were a bid to ease tensions after the haze triggered a war of words between Jakarta and its neighbours, with an Indonesian minister at one point accusing Singapore of acting "like a child".

The fires burning in hundreds of hectares of peatland have triggered Singapore's worst environmental crisis for a decade, with acrid smoke shrouding residential buildings and downtown skyscrapers.

While the haze has eased in the city-state in recent days, it has moved further north to Malaysia.

On Monday much of the country continued to wheeze under a shroud of smoke with its southern half hit particularly hard.

In the capital Kuala Lumpur, the pollution index neared the "very unhealthy" 200 level for the first time during the current outbreak.

Schools in Kuala Lumpur and several states were ordered to close and authorities advised parents to keep children indoors or make them wear face masks outside.

Indonesia has sought to extinguish the fires by using helicopters and planes for water-bombing and cloud-seeding, which chemically induces rain, but officials say the efforts have so far had little success.

Thick haze continued to shroud Riau province, where the blazes are centred, on Monday, leading to two flights being turned back from the airport in the provincial capital Pekanbaru, state news agency Antara reported.

Smog from Sumatra is a recurring problem during the June-September dry season, when plantations and smallholders set fires to prepare land for cultivation despite a legal ban.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
One small apology and netizens go ga ga. Praise all round, some exclaim "what a relief", some say "it's about time".

What the fuck shit is this. Don't tell me one day the PAP gives you a small goodie, these same people will be going ga ga as well.

One moment apology, the next moment it will be back to tough talking, posturing, and then complete lack of willingness to take errant companies to task. Treat you like a fucking seesaw and you still go ga ga over one small apology???

Sometimes netizens are really so small minded.

We haven't heard an apology from the guys who were sleeping on the job.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't expect much to be done in indo, by the fact that ministers dare to make bold statements on their own without consultation with their president. So what the top says, may not transient to the ground, too many local lords and fragments, its the locale and cultural thingy.

Moreover, these companies are the big boys in indo with diversified bizes.

Be prepared for haze for the coming weeks.

One small apology and netizens go ga ga. Praise all round, some exclaim "what a relief", some say "it's about time".

What the fuck shit is this. Don't tell me one day the PAP gives you a small goodie, these same people will be going ga ga as well.

One moment apology, the next moment it will be back to tough talking, posturing, and then complete lack of willingness to take errant companies to task. Treat you like a fucking seesaw and you still go ga ga over one small apology???

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
I think our incompetent meteorological department and the ministry in charge owe us an apology too. If they were doing their job and tracking atmospheric conditions, they would see the haze formation and direction it was moving. And sound the warning. In the US, they track tornadoes and storms, so that people can be prepared.

BlueBrother

Alfrescian
Loyal
I quite admire the President to make such an apology rather than those ministers that acted quite childish to try to pass the buck. Also he made more effort to try put out the fires. Most of the comments made by the ministers are pointless and not constructive. It's not just Singaporean and Malaysian are suffering from the haze, their own people that are closer to the fire are suffering much more. They should put out the fire and prevent future not just for other countries but more importantly for their own people.

A foreign company operating in Indonesia are subjected to Indonesian laws. The point is law enforcement in Indonesia which both Singapore & M'sia gov't cannot police and enforce Indonesia Laws. Sadly Indonesia is quite a big country and hard to totally eradicate corruption. Hope this incident give the President more teeth to enforce laws to prevent future burning of the forest.

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think our incompetent meteorological department and the ministry in charge owe us an apology too. If they were doing their job and tracking atmospheric conditions, they would see the haze formation and direction it was moving. And sound the warning. In the US, they track tornadoes and storms, so that people can be prepared.

NEA together with our incompetent meteorological department may have very sophisticated equipment to monitor wind, weather and haze.
But when it comes to real-time reporting Sillypore gahbrament will play down on the figures for all sort of political reasons.
They have been doing these for figures such as unemployment rate, population size etc

These bunch of idiots don't have any conscience on the life and death of Sillyporeans.
It's always GDP growth and money comes first as top priority.

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal
Somehow, i have this feeling that the indon government finally apologize simply coz this time the haze also happens to screw m'sia up big time.

In the world of politics, size really does matters. Singapore is just too insignificant in the bigger scheme of things, and our impotent government just serve to make things worse.

of course lah. remember there are 2 miilion Illegal Indon immigrants in Malaysia. if he don't do something quick I'm sure the locals there would give these illegals a very hard time breathing down their necks(pardon the pun) and I'm sure bloody noses included

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frankly, he should have acted earlier. They acted tough, chided us and when the pollution reading went thru the roof and the eyes of the World were on him then he apologised. And this is not the first time. It first began 16 years ago and has occurred on an intermittent basis.

I am sure there are no laws forbidding him to speak earlier.

The argument that their own people are suffering is really irrelevant. Just because they neglect their own people does it mean they are less culpable to the rest of us. Tell that to the people of Muar.

My sense is that Indonesia has crossed the line in the sand. If we do not see prosecution by them of major companies as the post 1997 Indonesian laws are now applicable, any apology is meaningless.

Lets get real here - why the admiration as nothing has changed just yet.

I quite admire the President to make such an apology rather than those ministers that acted quite childish to try to pass the buck. Also he made more effort to try put out the fires. Most of the comments made by the ministers are pointless and not constructive. It's not just Singaporean and Malaysian are suffering from the haze, their own people that are closer to the fire are suffering much more. They should put out the fire and prevent future not just for other countries but more importantly for their own people.

A foreign company operating in Indonesia are subjected to Indonesian laws. The point is law enforcement in Indonesia which both Singapore & M'sia gov't cannot police and enforce Indonesia Laws. Sadly Indonesia is quite a big country and hard to totally eradicate corruption. Hope this incident give the President more teeth to enforce laws to prevent future burning of the forest.

Last edited:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Frankly, he should have acted earlier. They acted tough, chided us and when the pollution reading went thru the roof and the eyes of the World were on him then he apologised. And this is not the first time. It first began 16 years ago and has occurred on an intermittent basis.

I am sure there are no laws forbidding him to speak earlier.

The argument that their own people are suffering is really irrelevant. Just because they neglect their own people does it mean they are less culpable to the rest of us. Tell that to the people of Muar.

My sense is that Indonesia has crossed the line in the sand. If we do not see prosecution by them of major companies as the post 1997 Indonesian laws are now applicable, any apology is meaningless.

Lets get real here - why the admiration as nothing has changed just yet.

There are two forces at work here. The obvious, and major one is forest clearing by oil palm companies. This has gone of for two decades and Indon has done nothing to stop them, not even all those legislation has proved effective because no enforcement at all.

The second force is the poverty trap that the villagers are stuck in as a result of the social system, and the system of land ownership which essentially compels them to stake claim on land through forest clearing and cultivation.

The point is that these poor villagers may have no choice, but clearly the rich oil palm companies have a choice. Majority are owned on the Indon and Malaysian side, but we also have stake in them. The government of Indonesia also has basically ignored the issue for two decades. It is not too far a stretch to assume that many officials are on the take from the oil palm industry with hands in cookie jar.

Unless there is some way for the wider international community to inflict financial damage via sanctions against companies or other means, things will not change.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree. I more disturbed to learn that Singapore authorities and foreign entities have detected fires in Singapore linked company plantations and the Indonesians seem to protect them.

There are two forces at work here. The obvious, and major one is forest clearing by oil palm companies. This has gone of for two decades and Indon has done nothing to stop them, not even all those legislation has proved effective because no enforcement at all.

The second force is the poverty trap that the villagers are stuck in as a result of the social system, and the system of land ownership which essentially compels them to stake claim on land through forest clearing and cultivation.

The point is that these poor villagers may have no choice, but clearly the rich oil palm companies have a choice. Majority are owned on the Indon and Malaysian side, but we also have stake in them. The government of Indonesia also has basically ignored the issue for two decades. It is not too far a stretch to assume that many officials are on the take from the oil palm industry with hands in cookie jar.

Unless there is some way for the wider international community to inflict financial damage via sanctions against companies or other means, things will not change.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Kanna Sai la you all here, criticize the President like that now even if he want to show he care you all will say he copy cat so he now stuck and suck thumb.

Dinkum

Alfrescian
Loyal
They didn't initially plan to have him as President. He was a last-minute choice because they realised that TCB was going to contest. Which caused them to panic as their original candidate would not have fared well in a contest against TCB. So they called Tony out of retirement and asked him to take the job.

Pray tell who was the original candidate?

Thanks.

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bro, if you really so buay song why not write to the Straits Times? :confused:

jw5

Loyal
Bro, if you really so buay song why not write to the Straits Times? :confused:

LOL. That's because he is not really so buay song lah.
Goodness me, after all this time and you still don't realise how those two motherfuckers operate?

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
In a sea of Muslims and Malays and the political proletariat turned their back on learning the language.

Hentak kaki belakang pusing and hormat senjata towards PRC hor - see how much we get from Pinyin when dealing with the M'sians and Indons!

Mantap sip!

Last edited: