• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Indian subscriber automatically assigned Tamil song ringtone

radon39

Alfrescian
Loyal
F^&%$&% pundek.....what the hell, an indian is an indian is an indian....you think Stinktel cares which bloody dialect you are? KNN....again a bloody pundek asking to be respected and recognised.....:oIo::oIo:

MY WIFE is a SingTel pre-paid mobile phone user. Last week, when I called her mobile phone, her ringtone played a Tamil song. I immediately hung up, assuming I had dialled a wrong number. I called again and heard the same song. On my third attempt, I let it ring and to my surprise, my wife answered the phone.

Over the next few days, her friends went through the same ordeal, assuming they had got a wrong number when they called her.

We called the SingTel hotline last Saturday to inquire about the song, and the service operator told us the telco had launched a free ringtone promotion. Since we were Indian, the Tamil song was automatically assigned to us.

My wife and I are both citizens of India, but we are not from the state of Tamil Nadu, nor do we speak the Tamil language. Therefore, the approach of assigning a Tamil song ringtone because we were Indian was shocking, and it demonstrated the ignorance of the SingTel management team that put this promotion together.

There are 1,652 different languages in India. The national language of India is Hindi. English is also accepted as the language for official purposes. Tamil is a beautiful language spoken by people from Tamil Nadu.

We did not expect a leading telco like SingTel to be ignorant of such linguistic sensitivities and fall for the common misconception that 'if a person is Indian, he speaks Tamil'.

Furthermore, assigning a ringtone based on a person's race creates an environment of 'racial labelling'.

Why not have a neutral set of ringtones - a set of tunes with some meaning or message, perhaps even the recent National Day Parade theme song? Or allow subscribers to choose their ringtone at no charge?

Anil Ladislaus D'Souza

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sing & Tell never learned geography or HIStory, only MM, SM HIStory...to them they can't tell one 'trees' from another in the 'dark forest'..

Indian all the same..thye speak Tamil
Chinese all the same...they speak Mandarin
and so forth...

:p

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Enjoy this 1.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hq2V_7fReqk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hq2V_7fReqk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>