• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

'Imbecilic' song for new Dutch king withdrawn after outcry

Rayden

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

'Imbecilic' song for new Dutch king withdrawn after outcry

A song to mark the inauguration of the new king of the Netherlands has been withdrawn after it attracted a storm of criticism for its “imbecilic” lyrics.

By Barney Henderson, and AFP
6:03PM BST 21 Apr 2013

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h_lRn6oBwWY?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

“Dear compatriots, after having to block yet another insult on my Twitter account, I am now totally done,” John Ewbank, the Dutch-British composer of the original piece, wrote on his Facebook page late on Saturday. “My apologies to those who found it an appropriate song ... but I hereby withdraw the Koningslied (King’s Song).”

Tens of thousands of Dutch citizens have voiced their dismay since the anthem, which is an unlikely combination of traditional, rap and choir music, was unveiled on Friday. It was intended to be played when Willem-Alexander is inaugurated as king on April 30.

But an online petition rejecting what is described as the “imbecilic” tune attracted more than 38,000 signatures. The song, which lasts just over five minutes, was performed by 51 Dutch artists, belting out much-mocked lyrics such as “I build a dyke with my bare hands and keep the water away”.

Summing up much of the criticism in a country with strong egalitarian and Protestant roots, one anonymous petitioner commented: “The song makes it sound like Willem-Alexander is some kind of god and we’re his underlings to whom he gives his life ... away with it!”

The plan was for all the artists to come together for a concert in Rotterdam to mark the occasion when Queen Beatrix hands over of the throne to her son, who will become the country’s first king for more than a century.

The National Inauguration Committee said it was disappointed but understood Ewbank’s decision. It convened on Sunday to discuss alternatives.

Ewbank himself suggested alternatives, including a catchy tune called You’re the king, written by two students from Utrecht. Posted two days ago, the cheeky song has already been watched more than 263,000 times on YouTube.

In a reference to Willem-Alexander’s hugely popular Argentine wife Maxima the students sing: “What a matchless wife you have, the ideal companion. If I was king, I would have known it as well.”

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... much-mocked lyrics such as “I build a dyke with my bare hands and keep the water away”.

Summing up much of the criticism ..., one anonymous petitioner commented: “The song makes it sound like Willem-Alexander is some kind of god and we’re his underlings to whom he gives his life ... away with it!” ...
contrast tis 2 sinkielan where dey never bat n i-lid making craims of 1 burger warping a fishy village in2 a metropolitan c-t ... n never hesitate 2 elevate dat burger in2 sum kind of gawd-like status ... sinkielan is shown how low-crass in comparison ..