• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

If you're planning to renounce Singapore citizenship: A word of caution

however666

hi everyone, i have a dilemma, yr advise will be appreciated! I'm 36 years old, married with 2 kids age 7 and 5. My job is home base (or any where within APAC) and im considering of moving to vietnam as my wife is from ho chi minh. This is a huge decision and my only concerns are my kids, i know that there are good american schools out there after doing my research but then again, you never know. So if i renounce my citizenship, will i get every penny or am i subjected to pay anything back to the government like the housing loan interest etc? I'm just very tired of Singapore because of its high living cost and im the only sole bread winner........my kids will grow up eventually and still have their SG citizenship but i dont know how it will turn out when that time comes....haiz.....

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
hi everyone, i have a dilemma, yr advise will be appreciated! I'm 36 years old, married with 2 kids age 7 and 5. My job is home base (or any where within APAC) and im considering of moving to vietnam as my wife is from ho chi minh. This is a huge decision and my only concerns are my kids, i know that there are good american schools out there after doing my research but then again, you never know. So if i renounce my citizenship, will i get every penny or am i subjected to pay anything back to the government like the housing loan interest etc? I'm just very tired of Singapore because of its high living cost and im the only sole bread winner........my kids will grow up eventually and still have their SG citizenship but i dont know how it will turn out when that time comes....haiz.....
In order to renounce your citizenship you first have to gain citizenship in another country. Otherwise you'll end up stateless.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Move lah. When you have another citizenship, then you claim back your CPF. Sell your assets in sinkapore before you renounce.

Bad New Brown

Alfrescian
Loyal
I prefer to fight it out in my own country even life is tough here. We can go overseas to work for 1-2 years to gain experience but not move there permanently and giving up our citizenships :unsure:

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
In order to renounce your citizenship you first have to gain citizenship in another country. Otherwise you'll end up stateless.

You can never renounce your Singapore citizenship without producing a citizenship certificate of another country.

No chance of ever being "stateless".

kingat33

Alfrescian
Loyal
pap sure implement dual citizenship for ex-singaporeans at the rate singaporeans are renouncing their citizenship....

tv_remote

I have seen many Singapore citizens who renounced Singapore citizenship and now regret - correction, deeply regret - their decision. The fact that they have withdrawn their CPF monies is of little consolation.

Whatever misgivings you may have about Singapore, the fact remains that Singapore is still your home. In a foreign country (Australia, Canada, USA, New Zealand, wherever) you are and always will be a lesser human being, and you will always be short-changed and exploited when it comes to work and earning a living. You WILL face racially-motivated hostility and prejudice.

Want to rough it out for a few years overseas? Gain overseas work experience? Gain overseas life experience? Take up a second citizenship like what many other Singaporeans have done? (by right and by Singapore law dual-citizenship is disallowed, but by left, well just "don't ask, don't tell"). By all means do so. Has anyone heard of anyone else who has been publicly prosecuted for holding dual citizenship? No, I didn't think so. As long as you're not a trouble-maker and not publicly bad-mouthing anyone, no one will give you any trouble. Until you actually receive official notice from the Singapore Immigration Authority, why not just continue to tread that fine line? You have nothing to lose. Or just continue holding on to your Australian PR and renew it every few years when the time comes. You can call both Singapore and Australia home.

DO NOT give up your Singapore citizenship. Don't burn all your bridges. Retain your Singapore citizenship because eventualities will arise, and you will be grateful that you still have a way out, you still have a way back home.

Do not learn things the hard way. Take this piece of advice: do not give up Singapore citizenship. If anything untoward happens to you and you find yourself a victim in your new adopted home, viciously harrassed and harangued on all sides, you will have no way out and you will be well and truly alone. You will well and truly be at the mercy of your enemies. You may be temperate and peaceable, not the type to make an enemy out of anyone, wanting nothing more than a happy and peaceable life, but there will be legions out there who will only be too glad to make an enemy out of you for no other reason than because of your ethnicity and the fact that you are a foreigner.

In a foreign land, you are nothing more than a resource to be exploited. The attitude taken towards you will be clinically calculated, detached, methodical and unconscionable exploitation.

everyone is different. not all will end up no good.

Bobbyfoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why migrate? Singapore is the best country in the world to live in. Most powerful passport, highest GDP, best quality of life, govt. plan your life from cradle to grave,etc.etc. Why give all these up to become 2nd-class citizen in a foreign land. Everything the govt. did was for the good of the country, and for your own good. For example, if return all your cpf to you, you might lose all your cpf in a jiffy. You should count your blessings, lucky Singaporeans.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Why migrate? Singapore is the best country in the world to live in. Most powerful passport, highest GDP, best quality of life, govt. plan your life from cradle to grave,etc.etc. Why give all these up to become 2nd-class citizen in a foreign land. Everything the govt. did was for the good of the country, and for your own good. For example, if return all your cpf to you, you might lose all your cpf in a jiffy. You should count your blessings, lucky Singaporeans.

Yeah. Listen to the people who have never done something before teach you about that same thing.

Why have kids from someone who has no kids. Lol

amransan

Alfrescian
Loyal
the year 2010 one week before i migrated to Australia i sold my HDB house so that there no more safety net for me.

after 4 years later on, that week i immediately apply for Australian citisenship.

3 months later once i got my Australian passport the following week i went back to sg with my dear wife to renounce my singapore passport without a blink.

now 2020 its already 10 years in Australia every single day is a blessing. in my life migrating out of sg is the best thing happen to me.

oh ya i dont feel like second class citisen here in Australia in fact i was treated better then i was in singapore no joke :smile:

in singapore i only "owned" 5 room hdb flat while in Australia i really own 2 landed properties.

in singapore i have to save money for a few months once we get about $400 we can go to JB for makan, window shopping, 2 hrs full body thai massage and watch movie then in the evening go back to sg. in Australia every year i go 2 weeks cruise and 2 weeks holidays in another countries.

in singapore i can only take buses or mrt and only during emergency take taxi while in Australia have 2 cars

in singapore i dont dare to have baby because cant afford to feed another mouth while in Australia i have 1 daughter and even adopt a puppy!

in singapore i can never dream of retire when i reach 55 year old while in Australia i already retired in my 40s.

cheers! :smile: