• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ice Cream making machine with a compressor

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've always wanted to get one of those ice cream making machines with a built-in compressor like the Cusinart 100.

[video=youtube;7uB1obZiKoQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uB1obZiKoQ[/video]

Since it has it;s own built-in compressor, it's more expensive but these type of machines makes better ice cream than the cheaper ones without compressors. The compressor units used to cost about $850 but nowadays I've seen them selling for $450

The reason I'm looking at ice cream makers is because you can control what you put in e.g. can leave out the sugar, put in fruits,... You have the ability to make healthy ice cream.

There is the more expensive Italian Lello Musso Lussino 4080 which cost about $1,500

[video=youtube;KrbMvoZgppw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrbMvoZgppw[/video]

Anyone have any experience with ice cream machines to share :confused:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
must be something wrong if u cant use the freezer in ur fridge.....how low can the temperature go.....why not get a bottle of liquid nitrogen,u dont need to churn the icecream and the residence time will be very very short.

viper2008sg

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am using one call the Gelato cubes and it comes in polished stainless steel or powder coating with array of colors.
The built is much smaller. It comes in 2 sizes, 750ml and 1500ml. The 1500ml has drain hole for easy washing after used. For home use, 750ml is more than adequate unless you have big family.
These machines with compressor can help you do a decent gelato, however, the final texture cannot compare with a commercial ones. I used this machine mainly for testing recipes before putting into bigger commercial machine for productions. These machine quality and power is much better than those home brands with compressor.
You may want to search youtube for their commercial.

Cheers!

I've always wanted to get one of those ice cream making machines with a built-in compressor like the Cusinart 100.

[video=youtube;7uB1obZiKoQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uB1obZiKoQ[/video]

Since it has it;s own built-in compressor, it's more expensive but these type of machines makes better ice cream than the cheaper ones without compressors. The compressor units used to cost about $850 but nowadays I've seen them selling for $450

The reason I'm looking at ice cream makers is because you can control what you put in e.g. can leave out the sugar, put in fruits,... You have the ability to make healthy ice cream.

There is the more expensive Italian Lello Musso Lussino 4080 which cost about $1,500

[video=youtube;KrbMvoZgppw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrbMvoZgppw[/video]

Anyone have any experience with ice cream machines to share :confused:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
at a point in time, we need to stop this home appliance madness. there are certain appliances that are time-saving and useful such as blenders, juicers, microwave ovens, coffee grinders, expresso machines, and we regularly rely on them daily or weekly. even with a huge kitchen and ample cabinet space, there's so much one can hold or hide away. we can't have every appliance out there available on the display counters of an appliance mart. if you use an appliance only seasonally or not more twice per month, my advice is not to buy it.

i have a friend who buys every freaking appliance and or powered tool that is sold at a hardware store. his garage is full of junk, and his vehicles are parked by the curbside. he has a high powered compressor equipped with two types of jet spray - one for water to wash his fence, driveway and patio and another to paint the exterior of his house (how many times does one paint his house?). he has a 5-ton jack to do his own oil change. he turns his driveway into an auto service shop on weekends. he doesn't trust mechanics. he has chainsaws and hedge trimmers for his trees and hedges. he mows his own lawn. he even has a 50-ft long rotor router to clean out waste plumbing and sewer pipes in his house. in his kitchen, he has 3 blenders, 2 juicers, 2 bread makers, 3 coffee machines, 1 microwave oven, 2 convection ovens, 1 ice cream maker, 2 wine refrigerators, 2 refrigerators (1 in garage), 1 dehydrator, 2 vacuum speakers, 1 deep fryer, 1 hamburger maker, 1 20-gallon boiler, 2 gas grills, 1 electrical grill, etc. the list goes on.

they're all stashed on the kitchen island and counters as all cabinets are full of junk he rarely use. what happens to his ice-cream maker? wrapped in plastic and sitting idle at the corner of the counter. he used it only once, when it first arrived, just to test it to see if it works. what about his bread maker? he used it twice and decided not to use again as fresh and cheaper bread can be bought at panera near his home. his daughters prefer the bread from the store.

as for me, i have given away my bread maker and ice-cream maker. they're useless. the ice cream from a gelato shop is way much better.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am using one call the Gelato cubes and it comes in polished stainless steel or powder coating with array of colors.
The built is much smaller. It comes in 2 sizes, 750ml and 1500ml. The 1500ml has drain hole for easy washing after used. For home use, 750ml is more than adequate unless you have big family.
These machines with compressor can help you do a decent gelato, however, the final texture cannot compare with a commercial ones. I used this machine mainly for testing recipes before putting into bigger commercial machine for productions. These machine quality and power is much better than those home brands with compressor.
You may want to search youtube for their commercial.

Cheers!

Never heard of these gelato cubes:confused: Do you you have a URL for a company who sells these things or a youtube clip that shows what these things look like?

I googled gelato cube & what came out was a GelatoCube branded ice cream maker, http://www.amazon.co.uk/GelatoCube-Cream-Maker-Litre-Stainless/dp/B00KRE0928:)

While searching locally for an ice cream making machine I came across a gumtree ad for a 2nd hand commercial unit. The seller wanted $20,000. $20k is outside my budget.:smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
must be something wrong if u cant use the freezer in ur fridge.....how low can the temperature go.....why not get a bottle of liquid nitrogen,u dont need to churn the icecream and the residence time will be very very short.

I eat at home most of the time because of health reasons. It gets boring & would like to add some variety e.g. ice cream, sorbet,... to my meals

Adding an ice cream maker is just like getting a food processor, steam oven, convection oven,... I already have many of these appliances which I use on a daily basis. Having an ice cream maker with a compressor gives you the flexibility of making a frozen desert on the fly with the least amount of effort.

I don't mind spending $ if I think it will save me some time. The real issue for me is the lack of counter space. There is also the issue of the quality of the product. Many reviewers claim that the models I am looking at produces very good quality ice cream.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you will only need 2 ingredients and a fridge/freezer to make ice cream:

http://www.instructables.com/id/2-Ingredient-ICE-CREAM-without-an-ice-cream-maker/

When I younger, I remember making home made ice cream. Can of course still do that.
However now that I'm older & have $ I can afford some luxuries in life. After all, we can't take the $ with us.:wink:

With a home machine I will be able to do it on the fly, taking as little as 30 minutes to make a healthy dessert. About the same time as cooking rice.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
can u make ben n jerry though or baskin robbins....how often do u get cravings for ice cream anyway,even with such delicious creations like ben n jerry or baskin robbins i dont buy ice cream like once every few months.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
can u make ben n jerry though or baskin robbins....how often do u get cravings for ice cream anyway,even with such delicious creations like ben n jerry or baskin robbins i dont buy ice cream like once every few months.

The quality of the machine I'm looking at are pretty good. Some of the reviewers claim that they make ice cream similar to the commercial stuff.

You can get the book written by the guys at Ben & Jerry titled Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book for US$6.44 at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Jerrys-Homema...057141&sr=8-1&keywords=ice+cream+recipe+books

However I read somewhere that the the founders of Ben & Jerry have had double by-pass surgeries. A problem caused probably due to their love of eating ice cream.

My intention is to do away with all the unhealthy additives, sugars, milk,...& to use more fruits like strawberries, blueberries, kiwi fruit,.. I have read that it is still possible to put together a healthy & delicious ice cream, or maybe I should say a sorbet.

I currently do not eat any ice cream because of health concerns. That is why I am looking at making it at home DIY. There are books which have paleo ice cream recipes i.e. using more healthier ingredients, http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s&field-keywords=paleo+ice+cream+recipe+books