• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

ICA Renouncing SG Citizenship

Danni12345

Alfrescian
Loyal
Has anyone gone through the process at ICA this year?

My queries are:
(1) Do I need to have my foreign documents of citizenship/passport notarised OVERSEAS before going to ICA?

(2) Do I need to inform the bank in SG of my change in nationality? Or not necessary? What documents do I need since I will not have the pink IC anymore after renunciation?

Thanks for any info.

Danny

sam leon

Alfrescian
Loyal
How come take so long to renounce? If renounced over the counter at ICA, bring originals. ICA staff very nice. You need to change your SG bank account to non-resident status, use your overseas passport. Better hurry up! Don't wait for change in cpf law regarding withdrawal for emigrants.

Danni12345

Alfrescian
Loyal
I understand there is the acknowledgment letter they give you on the day of handing over the application at ICA. And then you have to wait for 3 months to get the letter of approval of renunciation.

Which of the 2 letters; acknowledgement letter or the approval letter be accepted for
1) change of bank status to non-residence.
2) apply to withdraw CPF finds.

sam leon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't overthink. Don't procrastinate. Bank accepts ICA acknowledgement letter. CPF needs ICA approval letter.
ICA process less than two months. CPF about one month. CPF staff very nice. Go to any CPF centre and ask the
officer what forms to fill, documents to submit, etc. Make sure you photocopy your Singapore IC and Singapore
passport before surrendering them to ICA. You need to provide photocopies of both for your CPF withdrawal
application. CPF also want you to provide a list of employers that you have worked for, position, salaries in
Singapore(e.g. last ten years)

Hope you get your CPF soonest.

Danni12345

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello. Thanks for your speedy response. Always good to have the benefit of experience and guidance. Thank you.

I have already downloaded the forms and filled them in. I typed them in but then thought it’s better hand write to fill in the forms. Second guessing oneself is excruciating.

And some of the forms require you to sign in front of the notary public. I am guessing that you sign at the ICA counter in front of the counter person who is also a public notary ?

And the forms ask for all sort of information about family members. Not sure why they need to know all that.

I have made multiple copies of passport and NRIC. Again, not sure if I should get them notarised before I walked into ICA. Do I need notarised copies for CPF and bank? Or just copies ?

So it looks like I have to leave SG and wait for the approval letter to arrive before approaching CPF. Make another trip back to SG for that. Good excuse to stuff my gob with delicious food.

But I can go to the bank and do the changes of residency with the acknowledgement letter , and not the approval letter. Am I correct to understand that?

I am getting anxious as the day draws closer walking into ICA. Hence why I am trying to calm myself getting some idea of what to expect.

Thank you for any other advice and information.

Last edited:

Danni12345

Alfrescian
Loyal
One fo the renunciation forms requires a notary public to witness my signature. Do I get the form notarised by a SG notary public BEFORE going to ICA or can I do it at ICA (if they have a public notary)?

Appreciate any advice.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Hello. Thanks for your speedy response. Always good to have the benefit of experience and guidance. Thank you.

I have already downloaded the forms and filled them in. I typed them in but then thought it’s better hand write to fill in the forms. Second guessing oneself is excruciating.

And some of the forms require you to sign in front of the notary public. I am guessing that you sign at the ICA counter in front of the counter person who is also a public notary ?

And the forms ask for all sort of information about family members. Not sure why they need to know all that.

I have made multiple copies of passport and NRIC. Again, not sure if I should get them notarised before I walked into ICA. Do I need notarised copies for CPF and bank? Or just copies ?

So it looks like I have to leave SG and wait for the approval letter to arrive before approaching CPF. Make another trip back to SG for that. Good excuse to stuff my gob with delicious food.

But I can go to the bank and do the changes of residency with the acknowledgement letter , and not the approval letter. Am I correct to understand that?

I am getting anxious as the day draws closer walking into ICA. Hence why I am trying to calm myself getting some idea of what to expect.

Thank you for any other advice and information.

If you are signing in front of the officer, you DO NOT need a notary public. Just bring the originals of the documents. They will make copies. You should bring copies on your own as well just in case their photocopy machine is broken.

email ICA to let them know you are going to renounce. It is good to make an unoffical "appointment" with them. I think it is just one officer who does this.

For the CPF form, bring the form to the Singapore bank you want to deposit your CPF into along with the receipt of renunciation. Have the bank sign and stamp the form.

You DO NOT need to go back to sg to withdraw CPF. When you receive the confirmation of renunciation letter from ICA then sign the CPF withdrawal form in the presence of a Notary Public at wherever you are. Notarize a copy of the renunciation letter. Send the CPF form and the letter in together to CPF.

If you are not sure, you can go to CPF to ask them again for the instructions. I did that. CPF will NOT accept the CPF withdrawal form in advance. I tried asking them to just take the form first. Then I send the renunciation letter later on. They said they do not hold on to the forms.

The junior officer did not know anything. So I asked to speak to a senior. And he gave me the steps on how to get it done overseas then send it to CPF in Singapore. Don't waste your money and time flying back to SG.

Danni12345

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello Nayr69sg,

Thank you so very much for your response. It really alleviated some of my anxiety. I know it should not be anything to fear. Just want to avoid the hassle of incomplete forms, and worse still they say it’s incomplete after I leave SG. And then the interminable wait in limbo.

Thank you for your generous sharing and information.

Danni12345

Alfrescian
Loyal
I looked at the ICA website to make an appointment. But I guess the renunciation is not something you can make an appointment for?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I looked at the ICA website to make an appointment. But I guess the renunciation is not something you can make an appointment for?

just email the main inquiry line. or the feedback line. I sent through the feedback line and they got the officer to contact me.

you can attention :

Mrs Tay-Pang Soon Chin
Supervisor (Citizenship)
Immigration & Checkpoints Authority

just ask questions. Free to ask. Nothing to lose.

heck looking back I will even email CPF. Once you got email on paper what they advise you to do it is proof. And allays your worries too.

Good luck and Congratulations!

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Great, as the form from ICA attached it. So confused.

HEY!!!!......READ THE BLOODY INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY!!!!!

https://www.ica.gov.sg/docs/default-source/ica/forms/renunciation-form.pdf
Page 1

Documents to be submitted a) Copy of your Singapore Birth Certificate OR Original Singapore Citizenship Certificate b) Original Singapore Identity Card. Thumbprint impression form duly notarized by a Commissioner for Oaths, Notary Public or Justice of the Peace if you have lost your Singapore Identity Card or are holding the laminated Singapore Identity Card c) Original Singapore Passport d) Certified true copy of your foreign citizenship certificate and passport. Such certification must be duly notarized by a Notary Public, Justice of the Peace or Commissioner for Oaths (with his/her Official Seal/ Stamp affixed / Appointment letter) or Consular Officer of Singapore e) Deed poll or religious certificate if there had been a change of name

So unless you lost your NRIC or are holding the super old laminated IC then you will have to fingerprint.

I don't understand why sinkies don't read the instructions properly!!!!! Don't be lazy!

busybee1688

Alfrescian
Loyal
It make sense now but instructions should be on top of that form. Stupid design. Will get it when filling up. Lazy and free bo is in par.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
It make sense now but instructions should be on top of that form. Stupid design. Will get it when filling up. Lazy and free bo is in par.

What do you mean? The instructions are on the first page! Is that not "on top" for you?

Danni12345

Alfrescian
Loyal
Merry Christmas everybody. I hope the lead up to Christmas is a relaxing and easy one. And a few more sleeps before we usher in 2020. Let’s hope we see a better year; personally 2019 has been a doozie.

I wish you all a better year of laughter, great adventures and good friends.