• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

"I was abused by my pastor and he got away with it"

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal
I got abused by my pastor and he got away with it.

I grew up being involved in a church in Singapore. I went through Sunday School and eventually the Youth Ministry, which was helmed by a leader whom we shall call Don (not real name).

Joining the YM at 12, Don was very charismatic and warm to all newcomers, especially me as he knew my older siblings (who had quit prior). I looked up to him and aspired to be a leader like him in the church someday.

But eventually, I saw the cracks.

I noticed that Don and the leaders under him didn't keep up the welcoming vibe for long. There were clear favourites in the ministry, and he revealed his true nature - a tyrannical narcissist. This was evident on multiple occasions when he organised events such as carols, musicals, and outreach programs. He had a constant scowl on his face and didn't hesitate to yell or threaten to hit people who didn't keep up to his standards or disagreed with him. He also was rude to the older staff of the church. Despite this, he remained a respected figure who hid behind the head pastor.

When I was 13, I became the next target of his tantrums. It started with some micro-aggressions: him calling me ugly to my face in front of everyone and laughing it off when I nervously laughed, interrogating me of being gay for liking Taylor Swift (this sounds hilarious I know, I had a good laugh remembering this), and many more which I vaguely remember.

Then I joined the Music Ministry (also helmed by Don). To get on the stage with the band, newcomers had to serve either projection duty (lyrics on the screen) or sound systems for 6 months before auditioning for the band. I diligently served for about 7 months before I was told by another leader that Don didn't feel I was "spiritually" ready, even though I met all the requirements.
About a year later, I received a text from one of the worship leaders, telling me to come down on a rehearsal day, and prepare 2 songs to sing for Don. At that point in time, I wouldn't say I was an amazing singer, but at 14, quite a number of people told me I had a good singing voice. On the rehearsal day, I remember waiting for quite a long time before Don burst through the doors, looking visibly annoyed. He went straight to the keyboards and signaled me over, telling me not to waste his time. I informed him of the two songs I wanted to sing, and he played the songs in different keys to test my vocal range. The entire time the key got higher, he shouted at me to sing properly. After that was done, he simply slammed the keyboard and left the room. I was visibly trembling and fighting back tears, and ran home as fast as I could to let it all out.

The following week, I received an email containing a duty roster for the band - and my name was under the backup singers. I was pretty elated at that point in time, but I wish I would've known that it was only the beginning of another year of constant torture.
While rehearsing for the band, Don would always happen to be there during my rehearsal days, and constantly picked on me for my singing abilities. He would make me sing the same part multiple times over and over until he was satisfied. One time, he yelled at me as people were coming into the room for service, saying that he didn't care if I cried or felt humiliated. At that point in time, I was the youngest person in the band. I never spoke back, and I never argued.

One day, he organised an open audition for the Music Ministry and invited all members to go watch it. I went as well and sat in the crowded audience. Halfway through the session, he suddenly asked me (through the mic) to do a "re-audition". I was taken aback at first, but at the time I didn't have the option to say no. He chose a song for me and asked the pianist to play it in a key that was way beyond my register. I was visibly shaking and really tried my hardest, but I could hear him yelling at me in front of everyone and see him shaking his head as I sang. Before I even finished the song, he went up on stage and took the mic from my hands, looking at everyone in the audience and saying, "I don't get what's so good about his singing."

This absolutely crushed me and I felt so humiliated. Till today, I never understood why he felt the need to do that to me in front of a crowd. After that incident, I became even more anxious and panicked when I went to church. During this time when all of this was happening, I was also being bullied in school and abused by my siblings at home.

The one place where I thought I could seek refuge became my biggest nightmare.

At that age, I never dared confide in my mom, who was a regular at the church, or even bring it up to any senior leader in the church, because I thought that everything Don did was right because he was a leader. I constantly felt it was my fault because I wasn't good enough.

This abuse continued on until I was 15. The last straw was when he came to one of the rehearsals with a mood like always, and singled me out of all the singers. He made me do breathing exercises and sing while lying on the floor, embarrassing me in front of the entire band. I remember finishing up the rehearsal and meeting my mom downstairs, where she had just finished service, and breaking down in front of her. I told her that I wanted to quit (sparing her all the details), and even though she tried convincing me not to, she eventually agreed to give Don a call after my actual service the next day.

After service, I went home and sat next to my mom as she called him. He didn't take it too well. He started bargaining with my mom and told her that I was a very talented singer. After my mom refused to budge, he started yelling at her and telling her that the devil was influencing her to let me go. My mom clearly angered, brought this matter up to one of the senior leaders in the church, who then brought it up to the head pastor. During the 2 weeks that passed after that, I was receiving nonstop calls from various leaders from the ministry, which I had to constantly reject. Finally, my mom got back to me with good news - the head pastor allowed me to leave the Youth Ministry and join my mom in the Adult service. I felt like a huge weight was lifted after all these years.

He still continued to lead the YM after that. He would just pretend I didn't exist when I walked past him in the church. None of his subordinates would talk to me either.

This happened 9 years ago. I was diagnosed with BPD and PTSD mainly stemming from these events, and I went through many years of therapy. I didn't even realise I was being abused until I told my psychologist last year.

3 years ago, Don got officially ordained as a pastor. Earlier this year, my mom told me he had left the church to start his own media company.

Even after all this time, I felt like he was easily forgiven by everyone and was let scot-free after he did all those things to me. He had apologised to my mom, but never to me. I told my mom the full details of what happened a few months ago, and she told me to forgive him and move on, but I'm not sure how to. I physically can't enter a church without remembering the hell I was put through in my early teens. I'm an atheist now, not only because of him but rather a shift in my personal morals and values. I thought of taking him to court, but as this happened 9 years ago and I don't have any evidence, my only outlet for sharing this is right here and hoping that someday, karma will give him what he deserves.

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
I got abused by my pastor and he got away with it.

I grew up being involved in a church in Singapore. I went through Sunday School and eventually the Youth Ministry, which was helmed by a leader whom we shall call Don (not real name).

Joining the YM at 12, Don was very charismatic and warm to all newcomers, especially me as he knew my older siblings (who had quit prior). I looked up to him and aspired to be a leader like him in the church someday.

But eventually, I saw the cracks.

I noticed that Don and the leaders under him didn't keep up the welcoming vibe for long. There were clear favourites in the ministry, and he revealed his true nature - a tyrannical narcissist. This was evident on multiple occasions when he organised events such as carols, musicals, and outreach programs. He had a constant scowl on his face and didn't hesitate to yell or threaten to hit people who didn't keep up to his standards or disagreed with him. He also was rude to the older staff of the church. Despite this, he remained a respected figure who hid behind the head pastor.

When I was 13, I became the next target of his tantrums. It started with some micro-aggressions: him calling me ugly to my face in front of everyone and laughing it off when I nervously laughed, interrogating me of being gay for liking Taylor Swift (this sounds hilarious I know, I had a good laugh remembering this), and many more which I vaguely remember.

Then I joined the Music Ministry (also helmed by Don). To get on the stage with the band, newcomers had to serve either projection duty (lyrics on the screen) or sound systems for 6 months before auditioning for the band. I diligently served for about 7 months before I was told by another leader that Don didn't feel I was "spiritually" ready, even though I met all the requirements.
About a year later, I received a text from one of the worship leaders, telling me to come down on a rehearsal day, and prepare 2 songs to sing for Don. At that point in time, I wouldn't say I was an amazing singer, but at 14, quite a number of people told me I had a good singing voice. On the rehearsal day, I remember waiting for quite a long time before Don burst through the doors, looking visibly annoyed. He went straight to the keyboards and signaled me over, telling me not to waste his time. I informed him of the two songs I wanted to sing, and he played the songs in different keys to test my vocal range. The entire time the key got higher, he shouted at me to sing properly. After that was done, he simply slammed the keyboard and left the room. I was visibly trembling and fighting back tears, and ran home as fast as I could to let it all out.

The following week, I received an email containing a duty roster for the band - and my name was under the backup singers. I was pretty elated at that point in time, but I wish I would've known that it was only the beginning of another year of constant torture.
While rehearsing for the band, Don would always happen to be there during my rehearsal days, and constantly picked on me for my singing abilities. He would make me sing the same part multiple times over and over until he was satisfied. One time, he yelled at me as people were coming into the room for service, saying that he didn't care if I cried or felt humiliated. At that point in time, I was the youngest person in the band. I never spoke back, and I never argued.

One day, he organised an open audition for the Music Ministry and invited all members to go watch it. I went as well and sat in the crowded audience. Halfway through the session, he suddenly asked me (through the mic) to do a "re-audition". I was taken aback at first, but at the time I didn't have the option to say no. He chose a song for me and asked the pianist to play it in a key that was way beyond my register. I was visibly shaking and really tried my hardest, but I could hear him yelling at me in front of everyone and see him shaking his head as I sang. Before I even finished the song, he went up on stage and took the mic from my hands, looking at everyone in the audience and saying, "I don't get what's so good about his singing."

This absolutely crushed me and I felt so humiliated. Till today, I never understood why he felt the need to do that to me in front of a crowd. After that incident, I became even more anxious and panicked when I went to church. During this time when all of this was happening, I was also being bullied in school and abused by my siblings at home.

The one place where I thought I could seek refuge became my biggest nightmare.

At that age, I never dared confide in my mom, who was a regular at the church, or even bring it up to any senior leader in the church, because I thought that everything Don did was right because he was a leader. I constantly felt it was my fault because I wasn't good enough.

This abuse continued on until I was 15. The last straw was when he came to one of the rehearsals with a mood like always, and singled me out of all the singers. He made me do breathing exercises and sing while lying on the floor, embarrassing me in front of the entire band. I remember finishing up the rehearsal and meeting my mom downstairs, where she had just finished service, and breaking down in front of her. I told her that I wanted to quit (sparing her all the details), and even though she tried convincing me not to, she eventually agreed to give Don a call after my actual service the next day.

After service, I went home and sat next to my mom as she called him. He didn't take it too well. He started bargaining with my mom and told her that I was a very talented singer. After my mom refused to budge, he started yelling at her and telling her that the devil was influencing her to let me go. My mom clearly angered, brought this matter up to one of the senior leaders in the church, who then brought it up to the head pastor. During the 2 weeks that passed after that, I was receiving nonstop calls from various leaders from the ministry, which I had to constantly reject. Finally, my mom got back to me with good news - the head pastor allowed me to leave the Youth Ministry and join my mom in the Adult service. I felt like a huge weight was lifted after all these years.

He still continued to lead the YM after that. He would just pretend I didn't exist when I walked past him in the church. None of his subordinates would talk to me either.

This happened 9 years ago. I was diagnosed with BPD and PTSD mainly stemming from these events, and I went through many years of therapy. I didn't even realise I was being abused until I told my psychologist last year.

3 years ago, Don got officially ordained as a pastor. Earlier this year, my mom told me he had left the church to start his own media company.

Even after all this time, I felt like he was easily forgiven by everyone and was let scot-free after he did all those things to me. He had apologised to my mom, but never to me. I told my mom the full details of what happened a few months ago, and she told me to forgive him and move on, but I'm not sure how to. I physically can't enter a church without remembering the hell I was put through in my early teens. I'm an atheist now, not only because of him but rather a shift in my personal morals and values. I thought of taking him to court, but as this happened 9 years ago and I don't have any evidence, my only outlet for sharing this is right here and hoping that someday, karma will give him what he deserves.
Going church is only good for beo chiobu. Everything else is fake. The one who fake the most are those who want access to the church funds for their own consumption in the guise of spreading God's word.

JOKERCHEW

Alfrescian
Loyal
Going church is only good for beo chiobu. Everything else is fake. The one who fake the most are those who want access to the church funds for their own consumption in the guise of spreading God's word.

WTFF.

Always wonder why they believed they will go heaven?

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
But did you become a better christian ?
Young that time follow girlfriend to church. She asked me accept Christ so I accept lor. Then after a while find everything so fake. They speak tongue limpei think these people are fucking insane and tio gongtao. Every time after service, I walked out of church compound, first thing was to light a Marlboro hoonkee and smoked to release my boredom. Every time during service, my girlfriend would jerk my arm or leg because I usually fell asleep and snored a bit loud. Pastor talk here talk there every week also talk sama sama same rubbish. After a while, her friends said I am hopeless and a bad influence. She dumped me and we broke up. :roflmao:

Thank God!

Hallelujah!

Amen!

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
The writer is a strawberry.

Getting humiliated is a necessary spiritual process. If Son of God Himself was humiliated on the Cross, what makes the writer think he could be exempted?

The pastor did everything right. Even in SBF, the writer's avatar will be put through a process of abuse and flogged by our resident executioner.

JOKERCHEW

Alfrescian
Loyal
Young that time follow girlfriend to church. She asked me accept Christ so I accept lor. Then after a while find everything so fake. They speak tongue limpei think these people are fucking insane and tio gongtao. Every time after service, I walked out of church compound, first thing was to light a Marlboro hoonkee and smoked to release my boredom. Every time during service, my girlfriend would jerk my arm or leg because I usually fell asleep and snored a bit loud. Pastor talk here talk there every week also talk sama sama same rubbish. After a while, her friends said I am hopeless and a bad influence. She dumped me and we broke up. :roflmao:

Thank God!

Hallelujah!

Amen!

WTFF

Is your pastor
@glockman?

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thank God!

Hallelujah!

Amen!
Did your girlfriend believe in Christianity and premarital sex at the same time?

realDonaldTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal
many gals got sexually harassed in workplace by china superiors, especially in PRC owned businesses in Singapore.

very weird, in the two incidents that I know, MOM and police didn't take action and one whistleblower got fired.

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sometimes I think back, maybe she believe it is her duty to sacrifice her flesh to make me go church with her, quite noble of her leh.
Of course can also interpret that her pastor is the Pimp head and these women are all prostitutes and sluts luring men to the evangelical scam? Don't know. Not sure.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The pastor was just a shepherd tending to his sheep, comforting it with his staff and his rod.

JOKERCHEW

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course can also interpret that her pastor is the Pimp head and these women are all prostitutes and sluts luring men to the evangelical scam? Don't know. Not sure.

I do view it that way too.
I realised most are Hypocrites.
After they psycho you in, you die, your problem.

Patriotmissile

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is sad that many hypos hiding inside church. Years ago, 1 pastor asked his female attendee to blow him inside church compound. I am sure there are more uncovered cases...like going out with married man or woman, etc.
I do not know how they can reconcile themselves unless they are putting on a false mask while standing in there singing halleluyah.

JOKERCHEW

Alfrescian
Loyal
WTFF

And the number of Paedophile cases.!!

IMG_20220819_135420.jpg