• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I Love Singapore

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
haha... it u who didnt know what u r talking about. how to u define poor? by family income or personal income. i only in my thirties, so i cannot have know what it like in the 70s as i will be too young to remember. i grew up in a 3room flat which my parents paid cash monthly for 20yrs as they have no cpf. i had experienced electricity and telephone cut off by PUB and Telecom because my parents cannot come out with the money to pay. i even work in sentosa to carry golf bag for japanese expats at 16yo. i was unemployed for a whole year in 1999 and my first job take home pay only $ 959.50. i dunno what it like to be poor.. hahaha... how i wish i dunno what it like to be poor so that i can have a decent childhood compare to my peer. And i am not earning big bucks to be disconnect from the ground as i still living in a pigeonhole with a school going kid to raise. i see many disadvantage people from neighbourhood trying to make ends meet on their own efforts rather than going for govt handout.

i agree those single old folks need help but families with two adults shd try to have dual income instead of kpkb that $800 is too little. at where i currently work, plenty of jobs from companies nearby that need manual work paying $1k+ per month excluding OT. there a flour distributor that pay its manual workers $100 a day and $200 on weekend. while it no cpf but working hrs normally dont last a whole day as long the bags of flour deliver to customers, the workers can knock off early at ard 4pm. There are companies that pay $150 to stuff or unstuff per 20foot container and a fast experience crew of 3-4 person can do 4-5 containers a day. that more than $180 for each person for a day work, which is more than a office worker get.

i cannot tahan ppl who give up without trying. a person who put in effort may end up as a loser but a person who dont even try is confirm a LOSER. my uncle raise three kids as a cabby after being layoff by the shipyard in the 90s. who can he seek help in those days? by working hard, he manage to send his oldest son to NTU and now still work as cabby even though his son want him to retire.

u must have a carefree childhood and never experience provety at all. never had debt collectors bang on your door or parents try to raise money by bidding on tontine... so u never been poor so how can u know what it like to be poor? I know what it like to go to school with no money in my pocket and only drink water from the water cooler at recess. dont tell me what i did as a kid to earn money not relevant today. There are still provision shops that take in empty beer bottles at $10cent each, certain brands even pay $20cents for a bottle. see can be green yet earn some pocket money. if u think i bullshiting then go ask around. mostly those provision shops (mom & pop type) are those that have many kelings (local and FTs) like to buy beers from.

You now make it even much more obvious that YOU DON"T KNOW AT ALL the situation with the poor here. You now make it even much more obvious that you DON"T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. Stop it before you loses all credibility.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
oh... now i "make it" liao? how come i dunno. of the 5Cs which set the bar, i only have one leh... where got make it???:biggrin:

bro, i am not against govt setting up a safety net but the main thing the "poor" must at least try. if my family didnt try, we would still be living like the past. u want to give handout forever?

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
oh... now i "make it" liao? how come i dunno. of the 5Cs which set the bar, i only have one leh... where got make it???:biggrin:

bro, i am not against govt setting up a safety net but the main thing the "poor" must at least try. if my family didnt try, we would still be living like the past. u want to give handout forever?

But bro, where and how did u get the impression that the poor are not trying? Of course there will be some who are not trying but I can tell u most of them are trying really damn hard. They will grab at job opportunities even if they are temporary. They do have their dignity and would want to be employed and self-help just like any of us. Don't let Leongsam dupe u into thinking that they just laze around whole day waiting for money to fall from the sky. They are not at all like that.

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tracy,
I find it hard to love Singapore...not that I am unpatriotic.
You love Singapore the way it is?

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But bro, where and how did u get the impression that the poor are not trying? Of course there will be some who are not trying but I can tell u most of them are trying really damn hard. They will grab at job opportunities even if they are temporary. They do have their dignity and would want to be employed and self-help just like any of us. Don't let Leongsam dupe u into thinking that they just laze around whole day waiting for money to fall from the sky. They are not at all like that.

What you said is true. Many poor and needy are very hardworking and they try to make life better for themselves and their loved ones.

Some forumners here are brainwashed by the pap into believing and saying that the poor and needy are lazy bums..that's far from the truth and not fair to the underprivileges

IreneYeoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
I love Singapore too but I think there should be more opposition. The government may be not bad but also not perfect. We just can't let it pass through every policy just like that. We should have more opposition to debate through the policies.

Last edited:

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I love Singapore too but I think there should be more opposition. The government may be not bad but also not perfect. We just can't let it pass through every policy just like that. We should have more opposition to debate through the policies.

We shd not have more opposition for opposing sake. But with the pap governing badly, we certainly need Opposition to check on the pap and right the wrongs done by the pap

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
We shd not have more opposition for opposing sake. But with the pap governing badly, we certainly need Opposition to check on the pap and right the wrongs done by the pap

That's very true. In the past, people wanted more opposition for opposing sake. But things are now different. With the many mis-steps by the govt, there is a very strong need for more opposition to make sure PAP is doing the right things and doing things right. The PAP is increasingly becoming more and more incompetent. They now need someone else to teach them how to go about things.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

did i write all are not trying? pls read properly first b4 shooting from hip. all i said pap govt did have schemes to help the low income groups. in fact, the low income families have a better deal than those marginally better income families. There are all sorts of help for family income below $1.8k per month while none for those above. So those $1.8k and above are screw. The best way to improve the standard of living is to provide an education for the young, there are schemes to provide free uniforms, shoes, bag and textbooks to low income families, mind u, all the stuffs are brand new provide by the govt. so instead of u guys kpkb about the heartless pap, why not go find out where else do the low income families need help and try to steer the govt to solve the problems. there no need to fire 155mm arty when a 9mm pistol shot is more effective.

what i not happy are those who complain $800-$1k salary are too low. i know it low but if both couple work, then family income will double at once. then there are also jobs that pay better $800 but need to work a sweat for it. Why can't those ppl do manual work instead of wanting aircon job? pap or sam cannot brainwash me, i have no love for pap and sam is just writing to increase traffic to this pathetic little forum. if sam is so supportive of pap, he wont had left this shore.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's very true. In the past, people wanted more opposition for opposing sake. But things are now different. With the many mis-steps by the govt, there is a very strong need for more opposition to make sure PAP is doing the right things and doing things right. The PAP is increasingly becoming more and more incompetent. They now need someone else to teach them how to go about things.

That's true. Hopefully more Singaporeans will speak up and step forward to provide an alternative and challenge the pap

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
did i write all are not trying? pls read properly first b4 shooting from hip. all i said pap govt did have schemes to help the low income groups. in fact, the low income families have a better deal than those marginally better income families. There are all sorts of help for family income below $1.8k per month while none for those above. So those $1.8k and above are screw. The best way to improve the standard of living is to provide an education for the young, there are schemes to provide free uniforms, shoes, bag and textbooks to low income families, mind u, all the stuffs are brand new provide by the govt. so instead of u guys kpkb about the heartless pap, why not go find out where else do the low income families need help and try to steer the govt to solve the problems. there no need to fire 155mm arty when a 9mm pistol shot is more effective.

what i not happy are those who complain $800-$1k salary are too low. i know it low but if both couple work, then family income will double at once. then there are also jobs that pay better $800 but need to work a sweat for it. Why can't those ppl do manual work instead of wanting aircon job? pap or sam cannot brainwash me, i have no love for pap and sam is just writing to increase traffic to this pathetic little forum. if sam is so supportive of pap, he wont had left this shore.

If u had read my posts at other similar threads, u would know that I'm actually a social volunteer working with various groups that look after what we term as the last, the least and the lost in our society. So I'm not one who just kpkb about the heartless pap sitting comfortably in an armchair or worse still, mocking the poor remotely in NZ.

Before I became a social volunteer, I used to think exactly like u. I was similarly under the impression that the arrays of assistance schemes by the govt would adequately meet the needs of these people. And also that there are definitely enough jobs for such people if only there are willing to work. But once I started volunteering and got into the midst of actions, I realised how wrong I had been. These people are totally neglected and are really in very bad shape needing much much more help then what the govt claims it has been doing. As I mentioned at another thread, I wept when I found out the impoverished conditions they were living in and that they are ignored by the govt who put up all sorts of extremely difficult conditions for them to qualify for assistance. The one who "recruited" me as a volunteer told me not to be ashamed of weeping as he too cried when he first volunteered. Likewise those after me could not control their emotions either, mainly because they had never thought the situation was to be as bad as that.

I'm not trying to win an argument here. All I hope to do is to highlight that the reality on the ground is very grave indeed. These people do try hard on their own to find their feet but they truly need much more help than they are getting now from the govt. Once you are involved with them, u will know just how little or reluctant the govt is offering them any aid.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
likewise i am not totally against a safety net to the disadvantage and i am not blowing pap trumpet. but there are schemes to help the low income families, of course pap govt didnt provide enough help so volunteer like u shd point at where need help instead joining TS who only kpkb. unlike sam, i support a safety net that at least provide a a bare mininium living standard. something like what hong kong is currently having although i find hong kong welfare aid a bit too generous.

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
likewise i am not totally against a safety net to the disadvantage and i am not blowing pap trumpet. but there are schemes to help the low income families, of course pap govt didnt provide enough help so volunteer like u shd point at where need help instead joining TS who only kpkb. unlike sam, i support a safety net that at least provide a a bare mininium living standard. something like what hong kong is currently having although i find hong kong welfare aid a bit too generous.

Thanks, bro. I understand where u are coming from now. My sincere hope is for more and more S'poreans to appreciate the plight of the lower stratas in our society. At least not in mocking them as that loser in NZ.

SimplyGab

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the issue here is not whether we love Singapore no more. Instead, does the Singapore government has any more love for Singapore citizens.
I personally feel one area that has been gravely neglected is the physically-challenged and disabled people. Seriously... the government has not done enough for this group of special people as they (govt) are too caught up with the worldly stuff - increasing economic progress, maintaining their political reign.. etc. There are many handicapped and disabled people who are unemployed in Singapore simply because they are deemed 'not perfect'.

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the issue here is not whether we love Singapore no more. Instead, does the Singapore government has any more love for Singapore citizens.
I personally feel one area that has been gravely neglected is the physically-challenged and disabled people. Seriously... the government has not done enough for this group of special people as they (govt) are too caught up with the worldly stuff - increasing economic progress, maintaining their political reign.. etc. There are many handicapped and disabled people who are unemployed in Singapore simply because they are deemed 'not perfect'.

I'm very touched by your post. I'm very comforted that there are people out there who fully appreciate what the real situation out there. My sincere wish there be more to be like u and very much lesser of those like Leongsam who not only do not have sympathy for such people but mocked at them.