• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I can now say "I told you so!".

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Huh?

Those who died could have had other chronic illnesses but they also might have gone on to lead full lives. My friend who died definitely could have lived 10 more years under medication. But his family is grieving now.

You can't look at cold statistics alone like the score of a football game. The ethos of a modern society is to do what we can to preserve life and alleviate suffering.
Yes to save yr friend. Other critical illness patients are ignored.

Critical illness patients in Malaysia face anxious wait as hospital resources diverted to COVID-19
Patients who have been battling life-threatening illnesses are caught between a rock and a hard place as their treatment is postponed to give priority to those infected with the coronavirus.

Workers wearing protective suits clean the windows outside the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) ward
Workers wearing protective suits clean the windows outside the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) ward at Kuala Lumpur Hospital, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia April 21, 2020. REUTERS/Lim Huey Teng
Bookmark
KUALA LUMPUR: Noor Amalina Izzuah, 39, does not know how much more time she can spend with her six-year-old daughter.

In an interview with CNA, the stage-four cancer patient said: "Every day is a battle ... I am just worried that if I keep pushing my luck, I might leave too soon."

She has been battling breast cancer since 2010 and relapsed after making a full recovery in 2013. Noor Amalina said her treatment has been postponed for 15 days, as priority is given to COVID-19 patients.

“This time round, the cancer is more aggressive and has now spread to more parts of my body. With that being the case, I am often in pain, so every day sooner to my next treatment counts,” said the former events manager, whose physician is based in a public hospital.

The worldwide pandemic has put some patients who are dealing with life-threatening illnesses in a critical situation as healthcare resources have been stretched.

Noor Amalina is among those whose treatment has been postponed, amid increasing numbers of COVID-19 cases and deaths.

Currently, more than two million people have been tested positive globally, while more than 170,000 have died.

(kd) Critical illness
A cancer treatment machine at a private Malaysian hospital. (File photo: Bernama)
Malaysia has more than 5,000 cases and over 90 deaths. The Health Ministry has indicated that there are sufficient resources to handle the pandemic.

On top of this, the government has channelled additional funds to the Health Ministry to purchase equipment like ventilators and personal protective equipment (PPE) for medical staff as well as to beef up manpower.

Just like Noor Amalina, 29-year old cancer patient Navi Indran Pillai told CNA that her treatment at a private hospital had to be postponed as the facility was trying to manage the overwhelming situation at the moment.

“My treatment has been postponed for about a month.

“The treatment has been delayed due to this pandemic period, and so my doctor has advised me to take all the precautions in the meantime,” said the project management graduate.

READ: Malaysia left with 2 weeks worth of personal protective equipment for hospitals
(kd) hospital 2
Serdang Hospital in Malaysia. (File photo: Bernama)
ANXIOUS WAIT

Despite assurances by their physicians that the postponement period is within what is considered safe and reasonable, those interviewed by CNA said they can't help but feel anxious.

“It is giving me stress and anxiety. Cancer works in mysterious ways and whether it's creeping in and getting into my head, I do not know,” said Navi who was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 2013.

While she has recovered, Navi will need to continue treatment for the rest of her life to ensure she is able to keep the cancer at bay.

She is concerned about going to the hospital for appointments as COVID-19 is widely believed to be more lethal for people with pre-existing illnesses.

According to the World Health Organisation, there were 43,837 new cancer cases in 2018 alone with breast cancer being the most common type of cancer.

(kd) critical illness
Cancer treatment in Malaysia. (File photo: Bernama)
Much like Navi, Lee Goh Cheong, a retired armed forces officer from Selangor, is worried over how his dialysis treatment at a government facility has been postponed for about a month.

“If I die, I do not know who would take my grandson to school,” he said. The 67-year-old lives with his son and helps to care for his 4-year-old grandson.

His doctor had explained that going to a hospital at this point could be life-threatening for him.

READ: Malaysia studying ways to lower cancer treatment costs in private hospitals
“I don’t want to die yet. Some days it is very painful ... I am very scared.

“I know if I am regularly going for my dialysis, I will be able to live a little longer. I just want to take my grandson to school,” said Lee.

According to the Malaysian Dialysis and Transplant Registry, there is an estimated 51,000 dialysis patients nationwide in 2020.

(kd) critical illness (1)
Dialysis treatment at a Malaysian hospital. (File photo: Bernama)
FOR THE GREATER GOOD

Despite the anxiety, the patients understand that the delay could be for the greater good.

“Don’t get me wrong. I am nothing close to the heroes on the frontline. But if my death means someone else could be saved, then why not?,” said Noor Amalina

"I have been battling this for 10 years. As much as I want to keep going, if God demands that I make way for someone else, then so be it. That would be my service to the country I guess."

A 12-year old leukemia patient from Malacca who only wanted to be known as Rahmat also told CNA that he was not afraid.

“My father is a doctor. He is fighting this (virus) with so many other doctors on the frontline every day. I know if he wanted to, I could be receiving treatment right now, but we all know that isn’t right, so I will wait.

“Because when we get over this and everyone is okay, we all will heal. It won’t be just me,” he said, adding that his treatment has been postponed by three weeks.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNN basically you need to consider some people rike my uncle kind could live to a ripe old age without covid instead of an early death at 50 or so by a stoopid virus KNN
All those who advocate for the lockdown deserve to burn in hell for the misery they have caused.

Poverty-stricken Thai parents resort to suicide under extreme financial distress due to COVID-19 pandemic - The Online Citizen
Neyla Zannia
Source: the Nation Thailand.

This article contains graphic descriptions of suicide that may be distressing to readers. Readers’ discretion is advised.

The COVID-19 outbreak has taken a great toll on economies worldwide — and low-income groups are being hit hardest not only financially but also psychologically, as seen in the case of a Thai father who had committed suicide due to financial distress.

Supasit Chaokla, 42, was found hanging on Thursday (23 April) after the Thai government rejected his application for a relief payment of Bt5,000 (S$220), leaving him with no money to support his daughter.

Authorities estimated that Supasit, who resided in the Udon Thani province in northeastern Thailand, committed suicide two days earlier.

Jiamsri Chakla, 62, the deceased’s mother, told the news media that after getting divorced, Supasit had raised his 15-year-old daughter alone.

However, his income began to shrink last month after the emergency decree was announced.

The father owned a small eatery with daily operational costs of S$22-S$27.

However, as people stayed at home during the lockdown, his revenue fell to S$9-S$14.

He was stressed out as he had to pay as much as S$440 for her daughter’s school once the term restarted.

He was hoping that the relief payment from the government would help him to pay the cost.

He then became suicidal when his application was rejected.

Earlier, a Thai mother-of-two had committed suicide after losing her job during the pandemic.

Irada Lordpet, a resident of Maha Sarakham province in central northeastern Thailand, was found hanging in her bathroom by her brother on Monday (20 April).

He had rushed her to the hospital. Unfortunately, she was pronounced dead on the way to the hospital.

According to Somjit Siwai, headwoman of the Pao village where Irada lived, the deceased’s family was poverty-stricken, The Nation Thailand reported.

In addition to that, Irada had just divorced and had recently lost her job selling drinking yoghurt.

Irada had reportedly undergone extreme distress as a result of losing her income. She was not able to pay her bills and could not even purchase milk for her baby.

The deceased had reportedly made a request to Somjit to extend her a loan. The headwoman said she would call the bank.

However, Irada’s mother soon contacted Somjit to inform the headwoman that her daughter was dead.

43-year-old Indonesian woman dies of extreme hunger and psychological pressure due to poverty
Separately on Monday, a 43-year-old woman in Indonesia had passed away as a result of extreme hunger and psychological pressure after reportedly not eating for two days.

Yuli Nur Amelia and her husband had lost their source of income due to the pandemic.

A day before she passed away, Kompas TV broadcasted an interview with her in which she shared her family’s struggles.

The late Yuli shared that she and her husband were both low-wage workers. She worked as an outsourced employee who was placed on unpaid leave after the coronavirus outbreak.

Her husband worked as a scavenger collecting plastic waste. However, he is no longer able to do it, as many buyers have closed their business during the pandemic.

As a result, the family could only afford to drink water and eat unripe cassava from their garden.

“We cannot do anything but feel sad,” she said.

The late Yuli, who lived in the city of Serang in West Java, also stated that her family had not received any aid from the government.

“Not yet, [but] I have applied [for it],” she said.

Head of Serang City Communication and Information Office Hari Pamungkas said that the family had been recorded as one of the beneficiaries of aid in the COVID-19 task force, but the administration had limited capability to distribute the aid.

“Our resources are limited. We need [the help from] everyone. We cannot work by ourselves. We need all society to work together and support each other. Let’s not blame each other. We all are facing this pandemic together,” said Hari.