• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

HSBC going down...withdraw all your money!

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal
If a bank does something out of the ordinary, which other banks dun, then it can expect confidence to erode and bring about a run on the bank. Dun blame others for having this rumor.
The IQ of the people here are really low and stupid. when since have any banks or financial instituitions tell you that they are collapsing???? lehman bros up till the end still denies it was bankrupt. when the feds shut it down due to insolvency, no warning was given. same for some indon bank in the 1997 asian crises and spanish banks in 2008 and iceland banks in 2009. No bank CEO would tell you they have financial problems. when they are in trouble they would dig out some stupid excuse like above about money laundering. It is like a prostitute telling you she has AIDS or syphilis before doing the act. The stupidity of some sinkie forummers here are the lowest I have encounter in the animal world . when the down jones fell 4% overnight and STi also dropping like a rock, meltdown is coming and alot of people are going to eat grass or glass. especially the morons who belive what the bankers tell you.Lehman bros fiasco is a good example. I remember even OCBC and some banks in singapore still selling the CDOs by lehman bros up to 24 hours before it collapsed and tellers telling me it is very safe and 100% guaranteed. i It wasn't published in the papers but alot of people were suckered up till the last minute. No wonder they say the 99% of all bankers are worse than prostitutes. pay them enough and they would even sell their mother, wife and daughters.

Last edited:

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
hum chee peng liao.
i got almost a $billion in the bank.

i mean my sperm bank..:biggrin:

Last edited:

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
No wonder they say the 99% of all bankers are worse than prostitutes. pay them enough and they would even sell their mother, wife and daughters.

they are not the only prostitutes.you forgotten the property agents, the insurance agents, and all those in sales.
as long as they can earn their commission, they will not hesitate to lie,cheat and betray their best friends

Last edited:

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://profit.ndtv.com/news/corpora...after-cash-withdrawal-issue-in-britain-378745

[h=1]HSBC apologizes after cash withdrawal issue in Britain[/h]
Chad Bray, The New York Times | Updated On: January 27, 2014 11:46 (IST)
<!-- tweet start --><IFRAME id=twitter-widget-0 title="Twitter Tweet Button" class="twitter-share-button twitter-tweet-button twitter-count-horizontal" style="HEIGHT: 20px; WIDTH: 107px" src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets/tweet_button.1389999802.html#_=1390821471557&count=horizontal&id=twitter-widget-0&lang=en&original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fprofit.ndtv.com%2Fnews%2Fcorporates%2Farticle-hsbc-apologizes-after-cash-withdrawal-issue-in-britain-378745&related=CricketNDTV%20%3A%20NDTV%20Cricket%2Cmoviesndtv%20%3A%20NDTV%20Movies%2CNDTVGadgets%20%3A%20NDTV%20Gadgets%2CNDTVProfit%20%3A%20NDTV%20Profit%2CNDTVCooks%20%3A%20NDTV%20Cooks%2Cndtvfeed%20%3A%20NDTV%20News%20Feed%2Cndtvvideos%20%3A%20NDTV%20Videos&size=m&text=HSBC%20apologizes%20after%20cash%20withdrawal%20issue%20in%20Britain&url=http%3A%2F%2Fprofit.ndtv.com%2Fnews%2Fcorporates%2Farticle-hsbc-apologizes-after-cash-withdrawal-issue-in-britain-378745&via=NDTVProfit" frameBorder=0 allowTransparency scrolling=no data-twttr-rendered="true"></IFRAME>
<!-- tweet Ends --><!-- g1 start --><!-- Place this tag where you want the +1 button to render --><IFRAME tabIndex=0 id=I0_1390821468218 title=+1 style="HEIGHT: 20px; WIDTH: 90px; POSITION: static; LEFT: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; TOP: 0px; VISIBILITY: visible" marginHeight=0 src="https://apis.google.com/_/+1/fastbutton?usegapi=1&bsv=o&size=medium&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fprofit.ndtv.com&url=http%3A%2F%2Fprofit.ndtv.com%2Fnews%2Fcorporates%2Farticle-hsbc-apologizes-after-cash-withdrawal-issue-in-britain-378745&gsrc=3p&ic=1&jsh=m%3B%2F_%2Fscs%2Fapps-static%2F_%2Fjs%2Fk%3Doz.gapi.en.bw-VUKSHBfs.O%2Fm%3D__features__%2Fam%3DIQ%2Frt%3Dj%2Fd%3D1%2Frs%3DAItRSTOuSPmu894WW4NMT8J2ZDhFQK3ENg#_methods=onPlusOne%2C_ready%2C_close%2C_open%2C_resizeMe%2C_renderstart%2Concircled%2Cdrefresh%2Cerefresh&id=I0_1390821468218&parent=http%3A%2F%2Fprofit.ndtv.com&pfname=&rpctoken=34977204" frameBorder=0 width="100%" name=I0_1390821468218 marginWidth=0 scrolling=no data-gapiattached="true"></IFRAME>
<!-- Place this render call where appropriate -->
<!-- g1 Ends --><IFRAME class=fb_like_iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http://profit.ndtv.com/news/corporates/article-hsbc-apologizes-after-cash-withdrawal-issue-in-britain-378745&send=false&layout=button_count&width=125&show_faces=false&action=recommend&colorscheme=light&font&height=21&appId=200643799985524" frameBorder=0 allowTransparency scrolling=no></IFRAME>

<!-- Place this tag where you want the su badge to render --><IFRAME id=iframe-stmblpn-widget-1 style="BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0px; OVERFLOW: hidden; BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px; border-image: none" height=18 src="http://badge.stumbleupon.com/badge/embed/2/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fprofit.ndtv.com%2Fnews%2Fcorporates%2Farticle-hsbc-apologizes-after-cash-withdrawal-issue-in-britain-378745" frameBorder=0 width=65 allowTransparency scrolling=no></IFRAME><!-- Place this snippet wherever appropriate -->

<STYLE type=text/css> .google_ads {/*float:left; width:100%;*/ padding: 5px; border:1px solid #F3F3F3; /*height:75px*/} .title { font: bold 11px Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; color:#000000; margin:0px; padding-top:0px; padding-right:0px; padding-bottom:0px; padding-left:5px} .ad_left {/*width:48%;*/ /*float:left;*/ margin:0px; padding:0px} .news_link {font-family:Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; margin:0px; padding:0px} .n_text {font-family:Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:11px; margin:0px; padding:0px} .link2 {color:#006600; margin-top: 0; text-decoration:none} .hot_link {margin:0px; padding:0px; font-family:Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:10px} .link1 {text-decoration:none;margin-right: 0;} </STYLE>Ads by Google
Healing Touch - Massage – Most Recommended Spa on Facebook. Professional Therapists At $55/hour
www.healingtouch.com.sg/Massage

41355296588_625x300.jpg

<!-- START of left section inside story detail --><!-- left inside story -->[h=2]More From Corporates[/h]

<!-- end of left inside story --><!-- END of left section inside story detail -->London: The British bank HSBC has apologized after reports that some customers were prevented from withdrawing large sums of cash from their accounts.

HSBC said that, as part of a policy change put into effect in November, it began asking customers in some instances to show evidence of what they planned to do with large cash withdrawals.

"It is not mandatory for customers to provide documentary evidence for large cash withdrawals, and on its own, failure to show evidence is not a reason to refuse a withdrawal," the bank said in a statement. "We apologize to any customer who has been given incorrect information and inconvenienced."

The British Broadcasting Corp.'s Radio 4 reported on its "Money Box" program Saturday that some customers were not allowed to withdraw amounts above 5,000 pounds in cash (about $8,253).

The policy change was part of the bank's efforts to comply with anti-money laundering regulations, which require banks to report suspicious behavior, such as withdrawing large amount of cash.

For example, banks operating in the United States are required to report cash transactions above $10,000 to the government, as well as transactions that occur under dubious circumstances.

"Cash presents more risk, and in particular financial crime risk, than other payment methods. It also leaves customers with very little protection if things go wrong," the bank said.

"Therefore, we need to monitor particularly closely movements of cash in and out of the banking system. This is why we ask our customers about the purpose of large cash withdrawals when they are unusual and out of keeping with the normal running of their account."

Two years ago, HSBC agreed to pay a record $1.9 billion to settle allegations by authorities in the United States that the bank had lax anti-money laundering controls and allowed millions of dollars of suspicious transactions by customers in Mexico and other nations, including drug proceeds.

As part of the settlement, the bank pleaded guilty to violating several laws in the United States, including the Bank Secrecy Act, but avoided criminal prosecution.

"Asking the right questions, protecting our customers and reducing the risk of money laundering, fraud and other crimes, means we are doing the right thing and fulfilling our responsibilities as a bank and to society at large," the bank said.

© 2013, The New York Times News Service

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Banks block access to your cash unless you can prove what it's for
Bank brought in secret policy last November, which has led to complaints
Customers say withdrawals were refused or they were forced to barter
HSBC says policy is 'responsible' and allows them to tackle financial crime

Bank customers who try to withdraw large sums of cash over the counter face a grilling and may be asked to provide written confirmation of why they need the funds.
Under pressure to crack down on fraud, branch staff are increasingly demanding customers supply evidence of what they plan to spend their own money on.
HSBC last year introduced new rules which allow staff to block a demand for cash unless you can prove what it’s for.
This could include booking receipts, an invoice, a quote for work or even a letter.
Lenders including Santander, Barclays and the Nationwide Building Society also now reserve the right for counter staff to request such proof if they fear the withdrawal could be linked to fraud.
Banks lose £475million to fraud each year, according to figures from the Financial Fraud Action UK trade body. In particular, a rise in scams such as ‘vishing’ has put many banks on high alert.
Vishing – where crooks hijack a customer’s phone line and convince them to hand over their account details – can include persuading victims to withdraw large sums of cash over the counter.
Banks say they need to strike a balance between allowing customers easy access to their money whenever they want it, and fighting fraudsters.
If staff notice a rise in such frauds in their local area, they are more likely to introduce tough restrictions.

'HSBC won't give me more than £1k over the counter even after I warned them I needed it'
However, innocent customers have had genuine demands for cash repeatedly rejected.
Earlier this month an HSBC customer who wanted to repay a family loan was told he couldn’t take £7,000 from his instant access savings account.

Counter staff informed Stephen Cotton, from Worcestershire – a loyal customer for nearly 30 years who was well-known at the branch – he had to produce a letter as proof.
He told the BBC’s Money Box: ‘When we presented them with the withdrawal slip, they declined to give us the money because we could not provide them with a satisfactory explanation for what the money was for. They wanted a letter from the person involved.’
A year earlier Mr Cotton had withdrawn a similar cash sum without any difficulties.
HOW THIS IS MONEY REVEALED THE HSBC BLOCK
On Thursday 16th January, This is Money – the Mail Online money section - revealed how one customer was blocked from withdrawing more than £1,000 over the counter in HSBC Swindon.
This was despite the fact he was more than £50,000 in credit. HSBC confirmed that it may ask about the purpose of a cash withdrawal when the transaction is large, unusual and out of keeping with the normal running of a customer’s account.
You can read the full story here: HSBC won't give me more than £1k over the counter even after I warned them I needed it – can they block me from my own cash?
A spokesman for HSBC, which in 2012 paid £1.25billion to settle money-laundering allegations in the US, said: ‘Since November, in some instances, we may have asked customers to show us evidence of what the cash is required for.
‘As a responsible bank we must track all financial transactions. Cash presents more risk, and in particular financial crime risk, than other payment methods.
‘This is why we ask our customers about the purpose of large cash withdrawals when they are unusual and out of keeping with the normal running of their account.
‘However, it is not mandatory for them to provide documentary evidence for large cash withdrawals.’
All High Street banks usually ask customers to provide 24 hours notice for a large cash withdrawal of at least £5,000.
Barclays doesn’t have a policy of asking for proof but says experienced branch staff are able to ask for evidence if they have their own suspicions.
Eric Leenders, executive director at the British Bankers’ Association, said: ‘There is a clear tension between, on the one hand, providing customers easy access to their money and, on the other hand, protecting customers from the threat of a fraud that could have a devastating effect on someone’s finances.’

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If a bank gave me such hassles without a good explanation I would simply close my account & move elsewhere.

I have had accounts in the past with HSBC, Standard Charter, OCBC & DBS. Not too impressed by some of these banks.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One day CPF will ask us, why do we need so much money for, WHEN we can withdraw....or they have already done so & HSBC learb from them?

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no wonder their credit card fee waiver was easily approved within 3 days. trying to maintain their customer base, i suppose?

but i rarely use hsbc's credit cards. no cash rebates at all.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no wonder their credit card fee waiver was easily approved within 3 days. trying to maintain their customer base, i suppose?

but i rarely use hsbc's credit cards. no cash rebates at all.

I have 5 credit cards & every year I would have to call 4 banks to ask for a fee waiver. They have never refused my request for a fee waiver. It's very common for people to have multiple cards & it is unreasonable to expect them to use all the CCs they have. Just imagine having to track so many monthly statements .

Last year I noticed that some of these banks automatically waiving the fee:biggrin: Obviously I am not alone in not using my cards.

In Malaysia the Maybank ATM card that is issued to all depositors is also a VISA card. As long as you have enough funds in your account you can use it as a VISA card up to I think RM$500.