• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

HSBC going down...withdraw all your money!

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Signs that it is running out of money!

High street bank HSBC has refused to let some customers withdraw large sums of cash over the counter unless they can prove why they need it, reports say.

Listeners to BBC Radio 4's Moneybox programme have reported branches demanding evidence before allowing customers to withdraw sums ranging from £5,000 to £10,000.

One listener, Stephen Cotton was refused £7,000 from his account, which he wanted to use to pay back a loan to his mother.

He told the BBC: "When we presented them with the withdrawal slip, they declined to give us the money because we could not provide them with a satisfactory explanation for what the money was for. They wanted a letter from the person involved."

The bank has admitted it made a change to its policy in November without informing customers.

But they say they didn't have to tell anyone about the new rules as they didn't constitute a change to the bank account's terms and conditions.

They also admit they may not have communicated the rules properly to members of staff.

In a statement, the bank said: "We ask our customers about the purpose of large cash withdrawals when they are unusual and out of keeping with the normal running of their account.

"Since last November, in some instances we may have also asked these customers to show us evidence of what the cash is required for.

"The reason being we have an obligation to protect our customers, and to minimise the opportunity for financial crime.

"However, following feedback, we are immediately updating guidance to our customer facing staff to reiterate that it is not mandatory for customers to provide documentary evidence for large cash withdrawals, and on its own, failure to show evidence is not a reason to refuse a withdrawal.

"We are writing to apologise to any customer who has been given incorrect information and inconvenienced."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hsbc-under-fire-after-stopping-3060457

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good job ! HSBC is learning from SG government n their way of managing our CPF

The moral of the story is, nowadays, if you have a lot of money....do not, I repeat, deposit that in your bank account. Keep that money at home...SAFE....the bank will ask you, where you get the money from! & thereafter report you have so much money to M.A.S. who then inform 'her' cousin, Auntie IRAS...& Auntie will tell you, that, they last ten years you had been under declaring your taxes..

So, keep money at home...CPF money is not ours to take anymore, unless SINgaporeans start getting drunk & do what the Ah nehs do...we will not see out money sooner..later, later & later...Looooonnnnnngggg term!!:rolleyes:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Unfortunately, if you keep the money at home, you may not use the ATM or NETS or a debit card. You need a certain amount of money in a bank account to pay for bills and other transactions.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
what kind of logic is that?

It is their own money, why can't they withdraw it. There is no need to give any reason or whatsoever. They can ask for id card or bank verification. no need for reason.

i can tell them i like to withdraw $1 million, in $50 denomination, just to wipe my ass every morning. For hell they care???

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The moral of the story is, nowadays, if you have a lot of money....do not, I repeat, deposit that in your bank account. Keep that money at home...SAFE....the bank will ask you, where you get the money from! & thereafter report you have so much money to M.A.S. who then inform 'her' cousin, Auntie IRAS...& Auntie will tell you, that, they last ten years you had been under declaring your taxes..

So, keep money at home...CPF money is not ours to take anymore, unless SINgaporeans start getting drunk & do what the Ah nehs do...we will not see out money sooner..later, later & later...Looooonnnnnngggg term!!:rolleyes:

put in oversea bank lah...malaysia, thai, australia..so easy..Keep at home??? you must be a poor fuck...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good job ! HSBC is learning from SG government n their way of managing our CPF

When there was the financial crisis I was told that when some foreigners tried to withdraw their $$$ from DBS they were told "NO". It was the time when Spore had to guarantee everyones savings in Spore or else face the prospect of a run on the banks.

I remember confidence on the banking system was very low & even I had concerns of a collapse:o

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
you rumour mongers! it is not something to do with the stability of the bank, it's a little problem within the UK.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/01...-issue-in-britain/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

HSBC Apologizes After Cash Withdrawal Issue in Britain

LONDON – The British bank HSBC has apologized after reports that some customers were prevented from withdrawing large sums of cash from their accounts.

HSBC said that, as part of a policy change put into effect in November, it began asking customers in some instances to show evidence of what they planned to do with large cash withdrawals.

“It is not mandatory for customers to provide documentary evidence for large cash withdrawals, and on its own, failure to show evidence is not a reason to refuse a withdrawal,” the bank said in a statement. “We apologize to any customer who has been given incorrect information and inconvenienced.”

The British Broadcasting Corporation’s Radio 4 reported on its “Money Box” program on Saturday that some customers were not allowed to withdraw amounts above 5,000 pounds in cash, or about $8,253.

The policy change was part of the bank’s efforts to comply with regulations to fight money laundering, which require banks to report suspicious behavior, such as withdrawing large amounts of cash.

For example, banks operating in the United States are required to report cash transactions above $10,000 to the government, as well as transactions that occur under dubious circumstances.

“Cash presents more risk, and in particular financial crime risk, than other payment methods. It also leaves customers with very little protection if things go wrong,” the bank said.

“Therefore, we need to monitor particularly closely movements of cash in and out of the banking system. This is why we ask our customers about the purpose of large cash withdrawals when they are unusual and out of keeping with the normal running of their account.”

Two years ago, HSBC agreed to pay a record $1.9 billion to settle charges by authorities in the United States that the bank had lax controls against money laundering and allowed hundred of millions of dollars of suspicious transactions by customers in Mexico and other nations, including drug proceeds.

As part of the settlement, the bank pleaded guilty to violating several laws in the United States, including the Bank Secrecy Act, but avoided criminal prosecution.

“Asking the right questions, protecting our customers and reducing the risk of money laundering, fraud and other crimes, means we are doing the right thing and fulfilling our responsibilities as a bank and to society at large,” the bank said.

Last edited:

iluvgst

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I own a bank I would have the same or even stricter restrictions on withdrawals. Money laundering is indeed a big problem these days.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Which bank will admit that it is in trouble? This statement is just PR and they hope that the bank customers will buy it.

If HSBC doesn't lift the restriction, a run can be expected.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
okay... I tell them to sue the forum that allowed me to propagate the rumors...

BuiKia..I heng ah, my post is with a "?" means I am asking "Is it true ?"..not a offence.

You jialat liao...your statement is a chargeable offence:biggrin:

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If a bank does something out of the ordinary, which other banks dun, then it can expect confidence to erode and bring about a run on the bank. Dun blame others for having this rumor.