• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How to write a condolence letter and upset the grieving

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
CONDOLENCE LETTER FROM PRIME MINISTER LEE HSIEN LOONG ON DEMISE OF JB JEYARETNAM

30 September 2008

Mr Kenneth Jeyaretnam
Mr Philip Jeyaretnam

Dear Kenneth and Philip Jeyaretnam
I was sad to learn that your father, Mr Joshua Benjamin Jeyaretnam, has passed away.

Mr JB Jeyaretnam was a Member of Parliament for Anson constituency from 1981 till 1986, and a Non-Constituency Member of Parliament from 1997 till 2001. He used to engage in heated debates in the House. Perhaps it was because he and the PAP never saw eye to eye on any major political issue and he sought by all means to demolish the PAP and our system of government. Unfortunately, this helped neither to build up a constructive opposition nor our Parliamentary tradition. Nevertheless, one had to respect Mr JB Jeyaretnam’s dogged tenacity to be active in politics at his age.

However, our differences were not personal. In 1993, one of you (Kenneth) wrote to Mr Goh Chok Tong, who was then Prime Minister, to say that you found employers in Singapore reluctant to offer you a job, and your only explanation was that the employers felt the authorities would not welcome your employment because of your name. Mr Goh replied with a letter which could be shown to prospective employers, to say that the government did not hold anything against you, and that employers should evaluate you fairly on your own merits, like any other candidate, because Singapore needed every talented person that it could find. Mr Goh had previously made the same point to your brother Philip, whom he had invited to lunch. I am therefore happy that both of you have established yourselves in Singapore.

Please accept my deepest condolences.

Yours sincerely
Lee Hsien Loong

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pinky Ass Loong really cb! He might as well send Congrats cards to the 2 sons!

I know a shop, that sells I HATE YOU card...maybe pinky boy should send them one each?...

Anyway..his day will come, when da da pass away...I bet with you..the CONGRATULATION cards will arrive by the truckloads from all over the world.....

every dog will have its day.....:wink:

including SINgapore....:biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
Have to agree with. You can send someone to Cambridge but you cannot change the values in a person.
Don't worry, his sister is doing her best to retrieve some of the karma via her weekly column.

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
JB Jeyaretnam on a victory tour at the Anson by-elections in 1981.
anson_by-election.jpg
jeyaretnam_jb.jpg

jacobsgoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyway..his day will come, when da da pass away...I bet with you..the CONGRATULATION cards will arrive by the truckloads from all over the world.....

I wish and pray that PM lee [ProxyMinister lee] will be spared this sorrow, he should die happily before his da da.

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
610x.jpg

610x.jpg

610x.jpg

People sit inside the St. Andrews cathedral during the funeral service for veteran opposition politician J.B. Jeyaretnam in Singapore October 4, 2008.

610x.jpg

Pallbearers carry the coffin of veteran opposition politician J.B.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
KJ should keep the letter, and recycle it and send it back to the Son when his Old man kaput.

Just change the names here and there, and some titles..then voila! an appropriate condolence lettter on the rebound.

CONDOLENCE LETTER FROM PRIME MINISTER LEE HSIEN LOONG ON DEMISE OF JB JEYARETNAM

30 September 2008

Mr Kenneth Jeyaretnam
Mr Philip Jeyaretnam

Dear Kenneth and Philip Jeyaretnam
I was sad to learn that your father, Mr Joshua Benjamin Jeyaretnam, has passed away.

Mr JB Jeyaretnam was a Member of Parliament for Anson constituency from 1981 till 1986, and a Non-Constituency Member of Parliament from 1997 till 2001. He used to engage in heated debates in the House. Perhaps it was because he and the PAP never saw eye to eye on any major political issue and he sought by all means to demolish the PAP and our system of government. Unfortunately, this helped neither to build up a constructive opposition nor our Parliamentary tradition. Nevertheless, one had to respect Mr JB Jeyaretnam’s dogged tenacity to be active in politics at his age.

However, our differences were not personal. In 1993, one of you (Kenneth) wrote to Mr Goh Chok Tong, who was then Prime Minister, to say that you found employers in Singapore reluctant to offer you a job, and your only explanation was that the employers felt the authorities would not welcome your employment because of your name. Mr Goh replied with a letter which could be shown to prospective employers, to say that the government did not hold anything against you, and that employers should evaluate you fairly on your own merits, like any other candidate, because Singapore needed every talented person that it could find. Mr Goh had previously made the same point to your brother Philip, whom he had invited to lunch. I am therefore happy that both of you have established yourselves in Singapore.

Please accept my deepest condolences.

Yours sincerely
Lee Hsien Loong

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
i don't think Gay Loong wrote this letter. probably his father dictated it to him, and he send it. LOL

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Scroobal, thanks for re-posting this gem of a letter from our very own LHL.

I wonder what happens to politicians when they enter the PAP. It is as if some mental process happens that takes away their social graces, their ability to empathize and display respect for others, and they get housed in some ivory tower that completely shields them from the real world to such an extent that they forget how to relate to normal human beings.

This letter can only be written by someone who has been living in a cocoon for much of his life.

30 September 2008

Mr Kenneth Jeyaretnam
Mr Philip Jeyaretnam

Lee Hsien Loong

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
...He used to engage in heated debates in the House. Perhaps it was because he and the PAP never saw eye to eye on any major political issue and he sought by all means to demolish the PAP and our system of government. Unfortunately, this helped neither to build up a constructive opposition nor our Parliamentary tradition. Nevertheless, one had to respect Mr JB Jeyaretnam’s dogged tenacity to be active in politics at his age.

However, our differences were not personal....

LHL's just saying: OK let's draw the line... It was last generation's feud. My old man was the one who ruined your old man, not me... Both of you please don't gang up on me after my daddy's gone

sammymugabe

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dun find his letter offensive at all. Its a fact that the JB tried to tear down his rival. Isn't that the point?? Then he set up to be a politician for what?? Let PAP win ah?

PM is just saying whatever that JB did when he was alive, was work. And was not personal.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dun find his letter offensive at all. Its a fact that the JB tried to tear down his rival. Isn't that the point?? Then he set up to be a politician for what?? Let PAP win ah?

PM is just saying whatever that JB did when he was alive, was work. And was not personal.

Unfortunately, this helped neither to build up a constructive opposition nor our Parliamentary tradition.

I believe what Ass Loong is saying is....JB has done WORK....but mostly USELESS WORK!