• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious How to interpret cash at bank a/c in trial balance?

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal
if you learn book keeping, double entry. then you know debit is in, credit is out.
eg cash out is credit. credit bank. then debit, could be cost of sales or expenses.

then later b/f go to B/S ( debit side- left side) , if negative cash flow then go B/s (have to minus out)
then expenses go to Profit and loss account.

This bring back what I learned long time ago.

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal
if you learn book keeping, double entry. then you know debit is in, credit is out.
eg cash out is credit. credit bank. then debit, could be cost of sales or expenses.

then later b/f go to B/S ( debit side- left side) , if negative cash flow then go B/s (have to minus out)
then expenses go to Profit and loss account.

I m referring to bank account.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
This bring back what I learned long time ago.

Can you recall ?

3leOqKs.png

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
as for cash at bank account, owner account
so more cash, more bank is in debit side.

for as for bank , we are their loaner , creditor.
so our money is their liabilities. so when we increase saving. to them, they have more debt, so credit balance while we are bank in money.

if we withdraw money, then to them, they less debt, so their bank book increase, so debit the withdrawal.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Could it be because bank statement is a sub-ledger...?

This is a problem with most textbook authors who seem to always evade answering the difficult part of the question and love going on speaking the obvious. For example:
2b7526815acb4b83a64a476cabb6f22d.png

The layman's understanding has always been debit means negative and credit means positive. But the above carefully evaded clarifying conceptual misunderstanding - why asset is debit and liabilities is credit ?

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
must ask serina. she's very good at this.

Serina & Han's saw lo....are good at "cooking the books"...you must employ her & him, after they are released as consultants, on "how to cook your books".

The ledger entries & balances looks all right, but the bank balance, may not be accurate, as the amount you have at the bank, at current moment. You have to get the current bank balance from the bank, as at now or as at close of yesterday, & reconcile with your ledger; for there may be fees, etc & unexpected items or entries, not reflected in the ledgers.

psst..book-keeping!...." book-cooking" is an art...must learn from sifu's...I know, some "book-cooking" as well., hide from internal auditor etc...ha ha ha

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TS, most are confused with b/sheet and p/loss (revenue statement).
B/sheet is a snapshot of the company's assets (debit) and liabilities (credit).
This the view of the business, distinct from the owners'.
So if the company adds more assets (debit), the corresponding is reflected on the liabilities (credit).
This can be external debt or obligations to business owners (equity)

Whilst the p/loss is a period revenue statement (eg 1 year).
So the reverse view, with sales income (credit) and costs (debit).

Better to start or have a macro or structural approach, than getting lost in the nos. jungle.
Your diagram/table explains and testifies to this in a more detailed way.

Last edited:

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
TS, most are confused with b/sheet and p/loss (revenue statement).
B/sheet is a snapshot of the company's assets (debit) and liabilities (credit).
This the view of the business, distinct from the owners'.
So if the company adds more assets (debit), the corresponding is reflected on the liabilities (credit).
This can be external debt or obligations to business owners (equity)

Whilst the p/loss is a period revenue statement (eg 1 year).
So the reverse view, with sales income (credit) and costs (debit).

Better to start or have a macro or structural approach, than getting lost in the nos. jungle.
Your diagram/table explains and testifies to this in a more detailed way.

Like many, I always think that "credit" means receiving money and "debit" the opposite. Apparently the meaning of these two words changes when viewed in the context of cash at bank in a trial balance.

That is the start of the confusion, and it remains so. Why is a "debit" balance a positive balance? I need to clear this conceptual hurdle. Many book authors don't understand that until this concept is clear and this hurdle cleared the remaining explanation about left having to balance with right etc. simply doesn't stick.

The natural meaning of "debit" is negative or deduct or subtract. When someone puts $100,000 into your bank account, why do you deduct instead of add ?

The explanation that says "when you credit Cash you subtract from it, when you debit Cash you add to it" repeats the confusion, not explain the confusion.

Last edited:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... I need to clear this conceptual hurdle.

Honestly, I stopped trying to analyse it and just accepted that as what it was to pass my exams. Being just a binary setting (DR or CR), it wasn't a difficult thing to drill into my head. This has served me well until today. So my advice to you is the same if you are a taking a bookkeeping course - don't try to understand it