• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How to help cabbies: Cut fares or reduce rent?

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,194907,00.html?

How to help cabbies: Cut fares or reduce rent?
By Lediati Tan

March 07, 2009

NP_IMAGES_LTCAB.jpg

WAITING GAME: Taxi ridership and drivers' income have both been falling. TNP PICTURE: JONATHAN CHOO

ON one side of the fence, you have the taxi passengers. Lower the fares and more will take cabs, they say.

On the other side are the taxi drivers. Don't cut fares. Reduce the rent instead if you want to help us, they tell the taxi operators.

Several letters have been published in The Straits Times recently about whether lowering fares or rent would help boost the declining earnings of taxi drivers during the economic downturn.

Taxi ridership fell from 11.3 million rides in 2007 to 10.9 million rides last year.

In January, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) said taxi drivers' income has been falling in tandem with a steadily declining taxi ridership since last August.

But Associate Professor Lee Der-Horng, a transport researcher at the National University of Singapore, said lowering fares would not help taxi drivers.

'Based on my observations, even if we cut taxi fares, it doesn't mean it will attract more passengers,' he said.

Simplify fare system?

But, he felt that a little fine-tuning of the fare system could be carried out if the taxi operators were willing to do so.

'It is an opportunity for companies to look at the fare system, and have a more simplified one,' he said.

'The general expectation is that by simplifying the surcharges, there might be room to bring down the fare slightly.'

The taxi operators are passing on their savings from the Government's road tax rebates, announced in this year's Budget, to their drivers.

ComfortDelGro, the largest of them, has said it will pass on the entire savings of about $4.6 million to its drivers starting from this month.

SMRT Taxis gave each of its hirers a one-time cash payout of $306 on 28 Feb.

Prime Taxis is giving its drivers $25 a month for a year. And from July, Smart Automobile will put $40 a month into its drivers' Medisave accounts, while Premier Taxis and Trans-Cab said they will be giving out cash rebates.

But Prof Lee thinks the operators can do more. 'If taxi drivers are the target audience, then cutting taxi rent is probably what we should consider,' he said.

'I believe companies are keen, but whether they are able to do so depends on their resources.'

Analyst Lim Jit Soon of Nomura Singapore said rental rebates would be a more feasible option. 'Operators would prefer giving rebates to drivers. It's more difficult to raise rent after cutting it,' he said.

On top of road tax rebates, cabbies are also getting other forms of assistance from taxi companies. SMRT Taxis gives cash bonuses, rent-free days, diesel subsidies and rebates amounting to more than $10 million a year.

ComfortDelGro spokesman Tammy Tan said the company offers its drivers an enhanced benefits package - amounting to $68 million in 2008 - which includes no claim bonus, loyalty incentive, rent-free days, diesel at subsidised rates and an ERP reimbursement scheme.

Dr Paul Barter, an urban transport policy expert from the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, believes taxi drivers are caught between a rock and a hard place, as it is unlikely that either taxi rent or fares would be lowered.

If operators have too many taxis that are not hired out, they might be more likely to give better rental rates to attract drivers, he said.

But in a recession, more unemployed people will turn to driving taxis for a living, so the taxi companies may end up with many drivers but too few taxis.

So, the companies may not be compelled to give better rental rates.

Dr Barter said: 'Taxi companies might be under some moral pressure, but there is no particular reason for them to do so.'

He added: 'The big problem is not taxi fares but too many taxi drivers.'

There are about 24,000 taxis registered with LTA.

'The situation is a bit grim for taxi drivers,' he said. 'They are in a very bad position and I feel sorry for them.'

Additional reporting by Joanna Hor and Audrey Tan, newsroom interns.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
In boom times, they kwailan...turn on their BUSY light and play hide n seek before midnite to cut you with the midnite charge, put on their changing shift sign and pick and choose their fares, too far dont want to "jai", kow peh pow boo. In bust times, they whine about high rents, no business, this and that.

I will never pity a taxi-driver..KNNB! Let him die! Cant stand the heat? Get out of the kitchen lor! Nobody asks you to be a taxi driver!

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
How will maintaining current fares help the taxi drivers? It is a simple matter of economics. Commuters are not willing to pay the price of current fare so no demand and when demand drop drivers earnings take a beating. So what the problem with dropping the fare price to help in boosting demand???

R4g3

Alfrescian
Loyal
it is ok, they just need to drive longer hours in bad times. The only thing they will lose is their health, not a big deal to our gahmen.

fenwick

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've personally traveled quite a fair bit around SEA and Eroupe and i can almost confirmed that we got the most " HAO LIAN " cabbies inthe world!!! Help them????? NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Better let them ROT:rolleyes::cool:

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just now at Parkway Parade I asked taxi driver in front of queue: tiong Bahru can? He said can, I said I changed my mind, cannot.

Then I chose a Mercedes three cars away and the taxi in front not happy. I said taxis like to choose destination, choose passengers, now I also choose taxi

He lan lan

Hahahaha

Fcuk taxi drivers, zero pity for these assholes

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
Taxi drivers bully other road users, drive like madmen, pick and choose passengers

Now they suffer is good, good for them

No pity, all die of hunger good..

pfingo

Alfrescian
Loyal
i also want to pity them but i think of the times i need a cab from 10pm to midnite and can't get 1

reduce rent no use lah that will precede with fare increase to mitigate and 10pm to midnite still no taxi :mad:

just cut fare and scrap midnight fare

NoOnEsAwMe

Alfrescian
Loyal
i'd rather suggest this:

LTA re-establish the practice return to the days of issuing taxi licences to individual taxi owners, along-side with taxi companies.

and that these individuals (i.e. the yellow-tops) be allowed to decide their fares, i.e. negotiable at the point of boarding.

remember the good old days of asking the trishaw-man how much did he charge for a ride from the wet market to your home?

it would be fun to do some on-the-spot bargaining again.

my point is, that these yellow-tops be the balancing factor - the providers of a mechanism for deciding the market price(s) of journeys.

right now, we have a system of oligopoly - a bunch of taxi companies that do not really compete at all.
and both taxi drivers and consumers alike are screwed.

and please, my suggestion also assumes ceteres paribus - i.e. that LTA treat these individual taxi licences the same was as those given to the taxi companies (i.e. these individual owners are NOT subjected to any form of "special taxes" / extra charges / special regulations that disavantage the individual licence-holders vs the companies).

kylie72

Alfrescian
Loyal
But Associate Professor Lee Der-Horng, a transport researcher at the National University of Singapore, said lowering fares would not help taxi drivers.

'Based on my observations, even if we cut taxi fares, it doesn't mean it will attract more passengers,' he said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

By not telling us what 'observations' of his can defy the natural swing of demand and supply in relation to price in this case, this professor is spewing bullshit