• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How school teachers made a difference in the 60s

Green Light

Alfrescian
Loyal
How school teachers made a difference in the 60s

I READ with interest the flurry of letters concerning our education system, ranging from tuition classes to how effective the teaching in classrooms is now, and I would like to share how my primary school teachers had an impact on me as a pupil.

Back in the mid-1960s, I attended a neighbourhood primary school and there was no Teachers' Day in the school calendar then. My classmates and I (we are now in our early 50s) consider ourselves fortunate that we have been able to keep in touch with our teachers over the last four decades.

Back in those days, it was not unusual for teachers to carry a cane whenever they walked into the classroom. Our form teacher, Mr Lim, used it sparingly and only when it was needed. He was so concerned about our progress in studies that we were not spared the punishment if careless mistakes were repeated and ignored. And our parents never marched to school because of this.

In fact, the cane was a "symbolic" tool of trust between parents and teachers. His teaching was so effective that we all passed our Primary School Leaving Examination. I have never forgotten the day when he was so jubilant over the results that he ran round the school field with us - with him leading the pack.

Our favourite teacher was Ms Daisy Oh, who did what was considered unusual then by throwing a party for a class of 40 students. She made it a point to ensure we students had some fun. Without her commitment to our well-being, we would never have been able to see the merits of interaction between teacher and students. Those were rare moments in my growing up days.

One of the most memorable moments in my life was when I was posted to a secondary school that was not of my choice. Ms Oh pulled me aside and comforted me. What touched me most was that she cared and showed concern regardless of whether one was a top student or just average, like myself.

I remember vividly that on the last day of school, she gave us her contact number and that cemented the four-decade-long teacher-student relationship.

I hope this will be an inspiration to those who choose teaching as a profession. I would like to thank my teachers, Mr Lim Chek Seng and Ms Daisy Oh, who retired a long time ago, for such wonderful memories during my formative years.

Richard Thong

On behalf of Class 6A

(Former) Strathmore Primary School

iDone2u

Alfrescian
Loyal
The problem with the education system in the 60s is that you learn your ABC when u go to Pri 1. (like I did). Now the kids are expected to be able to read and write and do maths when they enter Pri 1....

In the 60s, where got IP school? where got SAP school? or Normal stream or express stream? or DSA?

Now they are even "tuition" for sports like PingPong and Badminton... so that if the kid is very very good, can DSA without PSLE....

So, old man - like us can only think of the past - say how good how good, but times changed so much - last time, we type, now they scan - and email... last time where got internet - I think ah net net..

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would be concerned if we are still reading those federal books about the life of jim , betty, osman and siti. Those teachers in the 60s only know how to cane and pinch you.
if they make lose money on the stock market, then the students had it.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
elections.jpg