• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How do Singapore's poor families get by?

Isogallardo

Alfrescian
Loyal

How do Singapore's poor families get by?

Nurhaida Binte Jantan is making dinner. She is roasting otah-otah, a Malay dish of fish paste wrapped in banana leaves, over a portable stove.

She is a 29-year-old unemployed single mother with six children from five to 13 years old. She lives in a tiny flat, just 30 square metres, with little furnishing.

There is no dining table, so the children eat their otah-otah with rice and chillies crouched on the floor.

The children share the single bedroom - their only bedding is mattresses and thick blankets. Nurhaida sleeps on the sofa in the living room.

She receives weekly groceries from charities, as well as about S$600 ($474, £262) a month in government aid and money from a boyfriend. But she admits that it is difficult to make ends meet. She has not been able to afford asthma medicine for her second daughter for months.

"No one can afford to get sick in this house because our finances are too tight. It's quite tough and a struggle for me to be raising them up," she said.

"I have to look after this house 24/7… so for me if I were to find a job, it would have to be a night job, so that once they are in bed, I can go out and the older kids can watch the young ones."

What is surprising about Nurhaida's story is that she lives in Singapore, one of the wealthiest countries in the world. But it is also one of the most costly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26349689

Do you think this story is one sided? Because there are a lot of other options for the poor to get help and assistance from the Govt. Seems like one of the reader do not agree with the article.

7EicL7Z.jpg

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This Malay lady is getting alone fine. She has six kids and they have yet to starve to death. I have many colleagues and friends whose household income ranges from $8k - $20k per month, and they are all complaining they cannot afford to raise 1 or 2 kids, let alone 6 kids.

rotiprata

Alfrescian
Loyal
This Malay lady is getting alone fine. She has six kids and they have yet to starve to death. I have many colleagues and friends whose household income ranges from $8k - $20k per month, and they are all complaining they cannot afford to raise 1 or 2 kids, let alone 6 kids.

ya, this lady should do something meaningful.... join the grassroot :biggrin: :biggrin:

xpo2015

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why must she pays for Asthma medicine?

Isn't healthcare supposed to be free for kids?

Like in Angmo Countries? Is not that SGP is poor you know?

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal

6 kids...u got to be kidding...?

My brother's kid is bright...studied a total 23 years in a classroom environment..

Total cost can be close to $1 million without financial assistance. Maybe the govt on this point said it is not necessary to get a university education.

I loan him a total of $100k and now he is returning me . And I am happy for him for doing well..

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26349689

Do you think this story is one sided? Because there are a lot of other options for the poor to get help and assistance from the Govt. Seems like one of the reader do not agree with the article.

7EicL7Z.jpg

There is a series on Channel News Asia on the poor. They get social assistance of $175 a month! And that is only for 3 months. After that, must apply again. That is a family of 4!