• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

House renovation cost

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Thanks for the advice guys my unit is 96sqm 4rm at Sembawang. The cheapest package for window grille, kitchen cab (solid top), ele. installation + water heater installation, 3 classic bedroom doors and 2 folding bathroom doors, 1 master bedroom built in wardrobe and 1 coat of paint is $5790. When I compare with other contractors the window grille and doors are cheaper but the wardrobe cost over $200 more. Hence my wife and friends were telling me to get this contractor to do what he charge cheaper and the rest ask others that are cheaper to do.

If u have a pigeon hole, than why do u also have a old house? The painting, u should do yourself. Nobody puts 1 coat, it should be 2 coats. Its easy to putty any holes and cracks, than paint the primer, and than the paint. U just need to move your furniture and applicance around. Remember to use a different paint for the bathrooms. Contractors biggest profit margins are from paint jobs. The people they hire for the painting are semi-skilled or minimally skilled. Whereas, any carpenter, electrician, etc. they use is certified. Therefore, they end up making less for those jobs. Things u cannot do like water heater installation, etc., get a contractor or electrician to do. When u buy the water heater, u should bargain for free or cheaper installation anyway.

Bedroom and bathroom doors are easy. I would buy them and do it myself. U already have the frame, so, just measure the size and hinges should be in the same positions as the old doors. For folding door, u will have to install the track on the floor. Mostly u have to paint the doors first before u mount them, but that's no problem. Even the window grill, u can put yourself if u have a power tool. I have a cordless Ryobi and a corded Black and Decker one with the full array of screws and drill bits. No problem using it at all.

Wardrobe if its custom made, than bor bian. U have to pay for the fit and workmanship. Bottom line, if your flat approaching 20 years old, it will be worthless soon. so don't spend so much money on other people's property. remember, u are a tenant only.

Last edited:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If u have a pigeon hole, than why do u also have a old house? The painting, u should do yourself. Nobody puts 1 coat, it should be 2 coats. Its easy to putty any holes and cracks, than paint the primer, and than the paint. U just need to move your furniture and applicance around. Remember to use a different paint for the bathrooms. Contractors biggest profit margins are from paint jobs. The people they hire for the painting are semi-skilled or minimally skilled. Whereas, any carpenter, electrician, etc. they use is certified. Therefore, they end up making less for those jobs. Things u cannot do like water heater installation, etc., get a contractor or electrician to do. When u buy the water heater, u should bargain for free or cheaper installation anyway.

Bedroom and bathroom doors are easy. I would buy them and do it myself. U already have the frame, so, just measure the size and hinges should be in the same positions as the old doors. For folding door, u will have to install the track on the floor. Mostly u have to paint the doors first before u mount them, but that's no problem. Even the window grill, u can put yourself if u have a power tool. I have a cordless Ryobi and a corded Black and Decker one with the full array of screws and drill bits. No problem using it at all.

Wardrobe if its custom made, than bor bian. U have to pay for the fit and workmanship. Bottom line, if your flat approaching 20 years old, it will be worthless soon. so don't spend so much money on other people's property. remember, u are a tenant only.

Please la. Door for bedroom/main door need skill not anyone can install.
Need to drill hole for the key chisel the hinge and the lock.
You dont know talk alot.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Please la. Door for bedroom/main door need skill not anyone can install.
Need to drill hole for the key chisel the hinge and the lock.
You dont know talk alot.

Are u stupid or what? Chiselling a small area of door frame for the hinge is a skill? Drilling a hole is a skill? Even your wife will tell you that u don't need skill to drill her hole. By the way, most doors sold with the hole for the lock already drilled out. Next, you will say using chopstick is a skill. Do me a favour and look up the phrase "pathetic singaporean" in the dictionary. There is a picture of you there.