• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Hong Kong confirms a second dog is infected with coronavirus

cloudy

Alfrescian
Loyal
MARCH 20, 2020ByLILIAN CHENGSOUTH CHINA MORNING POST
20200320GS.jpg

A second dog with an infected owner has caught the coronavirus, Hong Kong's animal welfare authority confirmed on Thursday.
The two-year-old German shepherd lived with a person diagnosed with Covid-19 in Pok Fu Lam and was sent to quarantine on Wednesday, along with a four-year-old mixed-breed dog from the same home.

The dogs were kept in separate kennels at the government facility.

Oral and nasal swabs taken on Wednesday and Thursday returned positive readings for the German shepherd, but were negative for the other dog.
Neither animal had shown any signs of the Covid-19 disease, according to an Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) spokesman, who added that it would "closely monitor both dogs and conduct repeated tests on the animals".

Animal health expert Professor Vanessa Barrs from City University had previously urged the public not to panic, as there was no evidence people could be infected by their pets. She also cited the Sars experience of 2003, which suggested cats and dogs would not become sick or transmit the virus to humans.

20200320van.jpg

Animal health expert, Professor Vanessa Barrs.
PHOTO: University of Sydney

Professor Malik Peiris, a leading public health virologist at the University of Hong Kong who helped the government analyse the specimens, told the Post that a blood test would be performed, but added the sample must be taken at least 10 days after the onset of infection to allow for the antibodies to develop.

"It is very likely that the two positive cases [in Hong Kong] are examples of human-to-dog transmission," he added. "We will also follow up on the mixed-breed dog, but it has tested negative."

A 17-year-old Pomeranian earlier became the first dog in the world to be found with the coronavirus when it tested "weak positive" in repeated checks.
The dog died on Monday after returning home for three days. A medical source later told the Post it was unlikely the dog died from Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, pointing to its old age and the underlying illnesses it had.

Quarantined dog tests negative for coronavirus in Hong Kong

The animal welfare authority said it would continue to work with the Department of Health in the handling of relevant cases.

To ensure public and animal health, the department has strongly advised that mammalian pet animals, including dogs and cats, from households with confirmed coronavirus cases, or their close contacts, should be quarantined.

Apart from the two dogs, the department said there were currently another four cats under quarantine, adding visits to those pets in quarantine were not allowed and that the animals were isolated in separate rooms.

Quarantined animals would be checked and cared for every day and assessed for any special needs they might have, the spokesman told the Post.

The spokesman said there was currently no evidence that pets could transmit the virus to humans, or that it could cause Covid-19 in dogs.

Pet owners should always maintain good hygiene practices and under no circumstances should they abandon their pets, the authority has said.

The owner of the two dogs tested this week is a 30-year-old woman living in Emerald Garden, Pok Fu Lam Road.
She travelled to Paris and London on February 27, arriving in Hong Kong on March 6. She tested positive for Covid-19 on Wednesday. Her husband has developed symptoms and is in hospital.

cloudy

Alfrescian
Loyal
What about those community cats that are downstairs my HDB block and playground? Can they be infected with Covid-19 and spread to children at the playground?

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
MARCH 20, 2020ByLILIAN CHENGSOUTH CHINA MORNING POST
20200320GS.jpg

A second dog with an infected owner has caught the coronavirus, Hong Kong's animal welfare authority confirmed on Thursday.
The two-year-old German shepherd lived with a person diagnosed with Covid-19 in Pok Fu Lam and was sent to quarantine on Wednesday, along with a four-year-old mixed-breed dog from the same home.

The dogs were kept in separate kennels at the government facility.

Oral and nasal swabs taken on Wednesday and Thursday returned positive readings for the German shepherd, but were negative for the other dog.
Neither animal had shown any signs of the Covid-19 disease, according to an Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) spokesman, who added that it would "closely monitor both dogs and conduct repeated tests on the animals".

Animal health expert Professor Vanessa Barrs from City University had previously urged the public not to panic, as there was no evidence people could be infected by their pets. She also cited the Sars experience of 2003, which suggested cats and dogs would not become sick or transmit the virus to humans.

20200320van.jpg

Animal health expert, Professor Vanessa Barrs.
PHOTO: University of Sydney

Professor Malik Peiris, a leading public health virologist at the University of Hong Kong who helped the government analyse the specimens, told the Post that a blood test would be performed, but added the sample must be taken at least 10 days after the onset of infection to allow for the antibodies to develop.

"It is very likely that the two positive cases [in Hong Kong] are examples of human-to-dog transmission," he added. "We will also follow up on the mixed-breed dog, but it has tested negative."

A 17-year-old Pomeranian earlier became the first dog in the world to be found with the coronavirus when it tested "weak positive" in repeated checks.
The dog died on Monday after returning home for three days. A medical source later told the Post it was unlikely the dog died from Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, pointing to its old age and the underlying illnesses it had.

Quarantined dog tests negative for coronavirus in Hong Kong

The animal welfare authority said it would continue to work with the Department of Health in the handling of relevant cases.

To ensure public and animal health, the department has strongly advised that mammalian pet animals, including dogs and cats, from households with confirmed coronavirus cases, or their close contacts, should be quarantined.

Apart from the two dogs, the department said there were currently another four cats under quarantine, adding visits to those pets in quarantine were not allowed and that the animals were isolated in separate rooms.

Quarantined animals would be checked and cared for every day and assessed for any special needs they might have, the spokesman told the Post.

The spokesman said there was currently no evidence that pets could transmit the virus to humans, or that it could cause Covid-19 in dogs.

Pet owners should always maintain good hygiene practices and under no circumstances should they abandon their pets, the authority has said.

The owner of the two dogs tested this week is a 30-year-old woman living in Emerald Garden, Pok Fu Lam Road.
She travelled to Paris and London on February 27, arriving in Hong Kong on March 6. She tested positive for Covid-19 on Wednesday. Her husband has developed symptoms and is in hospital.
It is very important for dogs to wear face masks, as it is for humans to wear them too. I am not kidding. In China, dog face masks are selling like hotcakes. The Hongkies need to learn too. Even AMDKs are doing it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/01/31/coronavirus-face-masks-dogs-demand/2856563001/

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
When a dog is 17 year old, it is akin to like 80 to 120 in man years !!
The dog is going to die anyway.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Brother, I lun lun very long never post in this forum and just read here after give back my clones hokay!

BUT THIS ONE VERY CLOSE TO MY HEART SO MUST POST.

Mai spread fear about Singapore stray cats can boh. I love love them a lot and spend lots of time feeding them hokay. They are the best, even better than Sinkie human beings! Spread fear later no one feed them and they will die from hunger OR worse, those kaninabeiphuajibuy Yishun type siaolang abuse these stray cats! KNN :FU:

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Brother, I lun lun very long never post in this forum and just read here after give back my clones hokay!

Mai spread fear about Singapore stray cats can boh. I love love them a lot and spend lots of time feeding them hokay. They are the best, even better than Sinkie human beings! Spread fear later no one feed them and they will die from hunger OR worse, those kaninabeiphuajibuy Yishun type siaolang abuse these stray cats! KNN :FU:
Hey bro, its been so long. Have not heard from you in years. You are still alive! Hallelujah, Allahu akbar!:biggrin:

No offence to dear @cloudy, but she's sounding more and more paranoid. Just wanted to make her pee her knickers. In truth, I feed stray cats and dogs too. I love animals, and if I see anyone hurting a stray I would not hesitate to confront, fuck upside down and/or report to the authorities.

Thus far, no evidence to show cats can be covided. So KNN, cool down hokay!:FU:

viremia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fuck u TS.
SARS period how many innocent cats culled because of ignorance.
U have d perspective of a common housewife. Fuck u!

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

Welcome back!

jw5

Loyal
Why must lun lun very long? :unsure::wink: