• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Holiday Scenery and Experiences! Come share!

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Hike to Emerald Basin 9.2km return from trail head. Got to walk about 1km+ from car park halfway round the lake to get to trail head.
Can be done with 3.5 year old. Our daughter went up about the last 3/4 of the hike up to the basin.

https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7026114/emerald-lake-and-emerald-basin-loop

EB1.jpg

It is #4 blue square indicates intermediate difficulty

EB 2a.jpg

The Emerald Basin is just above the Tree line in the above photo below where you see the snow pack/glacier

EB2b.jpg

trail head. Heads into the woods for the climb.

EB2.jpg

EB4.jpg

EB5.jpg

EB6.jpg

EB7.jpg

We had picnic lunch by the rapids.

EB9.jpg

Trying to sneak on a butterfly. Can you spot the butterfly? Hint it is to her 2 oclock.

EB10.jpg

The little girl loved the hike. Her first real one where she also walked part of the way. All the rocks are like an endless playground for her to navigate.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On my to do list when travel restrictions are lifted, but just look at the parking nightmare when you arrive at the destination. RVs are even parking on the side of the highway. Looks like when desperate these people can adopt Malaysian parking habits! Wonder if there are any places nearby where I can car camp for the night and be the first one to see the beautiful lake at sunrise before all the nonsense people come along to spoil it...

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Day Trip to Emerald Lake

https://www.field.ca/yohonationalpark/emeraldlake/

Went to Emerald Lake on 3 July 2021. Got there about 850am. So there was still lots of parking. Nice and quiet in the morning. Water still.

View attachment 115533

View attachment 115534

View attachment 115535

View attachment 115536

View attachment 115537

$75 per canoe for 1 hour.

View attachment 115538
Free to use binocular viewers

View attachment 115539

When you get to the parking lot there is a bridge to the left (seen in picture above). Leads to the hotel. And from where I took the previous shots. We started on the walk around the lake.

View attachment 115541

View attachment 115542

View attachment 115543

The beginning of the lake. There are several small waterfalls that drain into this basin and feed water into the lake.
We did the hike to Emerald Basin from here.
You hated angmoh and why dedicate one folder to this. U fucking hypocrite bastard.

Go fuck yrslf

indig10

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tobermory, Ontario.

Attachments

• C6DD67A7-60D0-4520-86B2-D6D11165ED8C.jpeg
    C6DD67A7-60D0-4520-86B2-D6D11165ED8C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 87
  • EDBC9555-3451-42ED-9579-584BF9FC24BF.jpeg
    EDBC9555-3451-42ED-9579-584BF9FC24BF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 102

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
You hated angmoh and why dedicate one folder to this. U fucking hypocrite bastard.

Go fuck yrslf
What's wrong with you man? You seem angry all the time cursing everyone. Chill lah bro... Nothing wrong with sharing pictures and stories.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Dinner at Namsan

507 10 St SW, Calgary, AB T2P 2B8

https://www.namsancalgary.com/

NM1.jpg

Their Banchan so-so. Good Kimchi. But they dont do the fried honey potatoes I am used to having.

NM2.jpg

Cheese Dak Galbi - 치즈닭갈비 . Very good!

NM3.jpg

NM4.jpg

NM5.jpg

Seoul Style Bulgogi Hotpot - 서울불고기전골. Pretty good as well. Right sweetness.

NM6.jpg

Jokbal - 족발무침.Good fresh meat. Salad is abit too spicy for me. Nice presentation. Very good when eaten with the fresh cabbage leaves and bean chili.

NM7.jpg

Spicy glass noodles comes with the Jok Bal.

NM8.jpg

The server told us if we leave 1/4 of the Dak Galbi then can add rice and do a fried rice for us

NM9.jpg

Cheese Dak Galbi - 치즈닭갈비 Fried Rice. Yummy

Overall a nice dining experience. Bill was $147 without tips.

Recommend the Dak Galbi. The other items were ok. Perhaps a bit too Authentic Korean Food for me. Dunno how to appreciate.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dinner at Namsan

507 10 St SW, Calgary, AB T2P 2B8

https://www.namsancalgary.com/

View attachment 115763

Their Banchan so-so. Good Kimchi. But they dont do the fried honey potatoes I am used to having.

View attachment 115764

Cheese Dak Galbi - 치즈닭갈비 . Very good!

View attachment 115765

View attachment 115766

View attachment 115767

Seoul Style Bulgogi Hotpot - 서울불고기전골. Pretty good as well. Right sweetness.

View attachment 115768

Jokbal - 족발무침.Good fresh meat. Salad is abit too spicy for me. Nice presentation. Very good when eaten with the fresh cabbage leaves and bean chili.

View attachment 115769

Spicy glass noodles comes with the Jok Bal.

View attachment 115770

The server told us if we leave 1/4 of the Dak Galbi then can add rice and do a fried rice for us

View attachment 115771

Cheese Dak Galbi - 치즈닭갈비 Fried Rice. Yummy

Overall a nice dining experience. Bill was $147 without tips.

Recommend the Dak Galbi. The other items were ok. Perhaps a bit too Authentic Korean Food for me. Dunno how to appreciate.
Put the folder back again... so sentimental person ah... sissy boy...

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Put the folder back again... so sentimental person ah... sissy boy...
It is not a folder. Sticky thread. And I am non confrontational. Pacifist. Want to be nice to people here. You call it sentimental and sissy that's fine with me.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
@glockman I felt better mood wise after my hike last Saturday. So I hope to continue doing this because I think it helps with my depression. Mid week still feel down. But when I think of hiking and the places to go it takes my mind off things a bit.

Need to get out of house more lah.

This weekend plan is to go to either Bow Glacier Falls or Wapta Falls. Hope weather is good.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
@glockman I felt better mood wise after my hike last Saturday. So I hope to continue doing this because I think it helps with my depression. Mid week still feel down. But when I think of hiking and the places to go it takes my mind off things a bit.

Need to get out of house more lah.

This weekend plan is to go to either Bow Glacier Falls or Wapta Falls. Hope weather is good.
Glad to know that. How can anyone be depressed when looking at and enveloped by such glorious sceneries?! The great outdoors and fresh cool air. You are living my dream! You are blessed to be able to access them so easily. And yep, we all need to get out and not be confined indoors.

Post more photos, I like looking at them. I live my life vicariously through you hor!:biggrin:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Glad to know that. How can anyone be depressed when looking at and enveloped by such glorious sceneries?! The great outdoors and fresh cool air. You are living my dream! You are blessed to be able to access them so easily. And yep, we all need to get out and not be confined indoors.

Post more photos, I like looking at them. I live my life vicariously through you hor!:biggrin:

Actually still can be depressed. When I was at the river and saw the rocks I wish I could just lay on the rock and die there. What a nice place to die. Also thought of jumping off the cliff into the ravine die in such nice surroundings is a luxury man!

But good that I had wife and daughter with me. Actually some parts I feel like turning back. Too long. Too far. Wife and little girl said keep going. My little girl really enjoyed herself. So it was nice to see. A different experience from the past year of being at home almost all the time. Doing housework. Watch TV. Surf internet.

When I was driving back (2h plus drive) I was thinking hey we used to do this most weekends. Need to go back to this lah. It is what makes living in Calgary different from say living in Edmonton or Singapore. So need to do it.

I hope to send daughter for ski lessons this winter. Will get season pass for family at the Winsport. Maybe do some day trips occasionally to the mountain ski resorts when the little one knows how to ski.

I really hope no more this covid restrictions and stuff anymore. No point lah. If kena then kena lah!

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Actually still can be depressed. When I was at the river and saw the rocks I wish I could just lay on the rock and die there. What a nice place to die. Also thought of jumping off the cliff into the ravine die in such nice surroundings is a luxury man!

But good that I had wife and daughter with me. Actually some parts I feel like turning back. Too long. Too far. Wife and little girl said keep going. My little girl really enjoyed herself. So it was nice to see. A different experience from the past year of being at home almost all the time. Doing housework. Watch TV. Surf internet.

When I was driving back (2h plus drive) I was thinking hey we used to do this most weekends. Need to go back to this lah. It is what makes living in Calgary different from say living in Edmonton or Singapore. So need to do it.

I hope to send daughter for ski lessons this winter. Will get season pass for family at the Winsport. Maybe do some day trips occasionally to the mountain ski resorts when the little one knows how to ski.

I really hope no more this covid restrictions and stuff anymore. No point lah. If kena then kena lah!
Yes, will still have little intervals when the negativity can surface. But brush them aside and focus on nature's beauty and your family. Getting out into the great outdoors is one of the perks of living there. So it's good that you intend to do more of that. Ski lessons for your little girl? I happened to come across this video recently. That little 4-yr old can really snowboard.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Yes, will still have little intervals when the negativity can surface. But brush them aside and focus on nature's beauty and your family. Getting out into the great outdoors is one of the perks of living there. So it's good that you intend to do more of that. Ski lessons for your little girl? I happened to come across this video recently. That little 4-yr old can really snowboard.

My daughter was on skis since Winter season 2019/2020. We have a harness for her.

Sometimes also need to see physical attributes. That girl is a typical Canadian 4 year old. My daughter is tiny probably half her size. So strength and physical attributes wise she wasn't able to do much on her own at age 3.

My youngest son started ski lessons at age 4. That was when we all just started learning together.

Now the kids all expert skiers. Dont want to ski with wife and me cos we are too slow and too chicken for them. LOL!

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
My daughter was on skis since Winter season 2019/2020. We have a harness for her.

Sometimes also need to see physical attributes. That girl is a typical Canadian 4 year old. My daughter is tiny probably half her size. So strength and physical attributes wise she wasn't able to do much on her own at age 3.

My youngest son started ski lessons at age 4. That was when we all just started learning together.

Now the kids all expert skiers. Dont want to ski with wife and me cos we are too slow and too chicken for them. LOL!
Canadians must know how to ski, and play hockey!:biggrin:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Canadians must know how to ski, and play hockey!:biggrin:
LOL! I can't ice skate.

Actually hockey is more like one of those things parents send kids to train when young hope they become NHL players kinds of thing. It is a big thing. Think of those parents send kids to piano class, dance class, tuition class in Singapore. Something like that when it comes to the hockey here.

Sports here is expensive especially if you want to get competitive.

And ice hockey.....again need physical attributes. Small size skinny kids cannot lah.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/where-are-the-minorities-1.835849

Where are the minorities?​

New Canadians and visible minorities are staying away from Canada's game​

Lindsey Craig · CBC Sports · Posted: Jan 09, 2009 2:15 PM ET | Last Updated: January 12, 2009

white-guys-306.jpg

Predominantly white players are often behind the bench in Canadian arenas. ((Kevin Light/CBC Sports))
Abdalhafiz Nur arrived in Canada nearly 20 years ago from Eritrea, a country bordering Ethiopia and Sudan. He grew up playing soccer, as his father did, and is raising four kids with his wife in Toronto.
His 10-year-old son plays rep soccer year-round. His daughters play sports in school. Nur doesn't know which sport his two-year-old son will try, but he is sure of one thing — none will play hockey.
"Most of the people who come from Africa, they like soccer. When they come to Canada, hockey is expensive. Then there's all the material. Everyone can't afford to buy it," he said. "Hockey, it's very expensive, and aggressive. When I see it, it seems more violent than soccer. They fight."
Nur, 44, is a trained lab technician who works as a concierge at a condo. His wife is unemployed. They're just two of many immigrants who aren't registering their kids in Canada's national pastime.
Cost, cultural differences and, for some, a seemingly uninviting atmosphere are keeping immigrants and non-whites from playing Canada's game. Some work is being done across the country to change the trend, but it's a daunting task, and efforts have only just begun.
While Hockey Canada doesn't keep race-based stats, many involved with the sport say few players are of non-white descent, and overall registration numbers are dwindling.
Hockey Canada believes there's a link between the two trends and says new Canadians must be reached for the game to endure.
"We've always just opened our registration doors and people flock in ... But we can't do that anymore," said Glen McCurdie, Hockey Canada's senior director of member services.
"We don't feel we do a good job of marketing to new Canadians whose No. 1 choice may not be ice-related sports, but soccer, cricket, or something else," he said.

white-kids-on-ice-220.jpg

Many immigrants don't put their kids in hockey because they think it's a violent sport. ((Kevin Light/CBC Sports))
It's important to reach visible minorities and new Canadians, McCurdie said, since they comprise a large and growing part of Canadian society. It's something Hockey Canada is only starting to work on.
Canada's visible minority population is growing much faster than its total population, according to Statistics Canada. Between 1996 and 2001, it increased by 25 per cent, but in the same time period, the general population grew by only four per cent.
By 2017, roughly 20 per cent of Canada's population could be visible minorities —6.3 million to 8.5 million people — with close to half projected to be South Asian or Chinese.
The numbers are especially important considering recent census figures indicate Canada's pool of youth under-15 is shrinking. With a growing number of visible minorities comprising that pool, it will be essential for minor hockey associations to connect with them to keep afloat.

Money is an issue​

As Nur's situation demonstrates, doing so won't be easy.
The cost for a child to play house league hockey can easily surpass $300. Equipment can cost at least that amount, and that's not including expenses like travel or tournament fees. Hockey at more competitive levels can cost a several thousands of dollars each year.
Lorraine LeClair, executive director of the Multicultural Association of the Greater Moncton Area in New Brunswick, said financial obstacles can be even more paramount for new Canadians.
"There could be a situation where a doctor arrives and made 'X' amount of dollars, but comes here and has accreditation that may not be recognized …So they're making $20,000 to $40,000 less because they're in survivor mode as opposed to career mode," she said.
"You can see where they wouldn't have the extra funds for extra-curriculars. You're worrying more about having a roof over your head and three square meals on your plate," she added, also noting that parents are "less likely to spend $1,500 on equipment for a sport they don't know."
For Marcelina Benites and Richard Benites, who moved from Peru to Victoria in 2004, putting their six-year-old son, Gonzalo, in hockey is impossible to consider.
"We can't do it. We are still settling. We started from zero and we had to spend a lot of money ... The price is too high. We bought a house, we had to pay a high mortgage, it's not easy for us," Marcelina said.
They came to Canada because Richard, an IT professional, was offered a permanent job. But set-up costs put them back and they had to adjust from having two incomes to one. (Marcelina worked in Peru but now stays at home because they can't afford daycare for their three-year-old daughter.)
The couple still manages to register Gonzalo for indoor soccer in the winter and swimming in the summer. Such sports are much easier to afford, Marcelina said, noting she prefers them to hockey because they're not as rough.
"I do think the game is violent," she said. "I watch it on TV and I'm kind of disappointed … It's the main sport in Canada and I ask myself why is this [behaviour] allowed?"

'She thought it was a dangerous sport'​

Perceiving hockey as violent seems to be a common thread among those new to Canada.
Brian Tran, 19, who was born in Canada and raised by immigrant parents from Vietnam, said his mom didn't perceive hockey as a positive sport.
"She thought it was a dangerous sport and didn't want me to play ... I ended up in figure skating because it was less aggressive," he said, adding that his parents also put him in soccer and tennis.
But there are other reasons, as well, for new Canadians and visible minorities to turn from the sport.
Anthony Stewart, associate professor of English at Dalhousie University in Halifax, and author of the soon-to-be published book,You Must be a Basketball Player, says racism is also an issue in the minor hockey arena.
Stewart was raised in Ottawa by Jamaican parents and didn't want to play hockey because he didn't feel comfortable as a minority in the sport.
"I never played hockey, but just about every boy I knew growing up did. I remember hearing a few harrowing stories about black kids who played. You heard the things they were called and how they were treated," he said.

white-parents-220.jpg

A lack of diversity in minor hockey is also reflected in the stands. ((Kevin Light/CBC Sports))
"Hockey looked very hostile for kids who are different," Stewart said, noting the tensions that also exist between English and French players.
"When you hear white guys bad mouthing other white guys, when that started happening, none of that did anything to make me think hockey culture was any more welcoming to me," he said.
He can't say if racial slurs and insults are as prevalent as they once were, but notes, "You hear the stories the Williams sisters [Venus and Serena] tell, and Tiger Woods, the list goes on. It would be naive to think hockey would somehow be exempt from those sorts of practices. You see it all the time," he said.
"Has it changed? ... Look at the Canadian junior team and [P.K.] Subban. You'd have to ask him … What I can say with certainty is it's not easy for a variety of reasons to be the only anything in a place where people who look like you aren't normally present," he said.
P.K. Subban is a black defenceman from Toronto who recently made national headlines as one of the Canadian junior team's top players. He's been called a role model to young visible minorities, and CBC News recently asked him about it.
"If I am [a role model] to black kids, that's great. I hope I am. But truly to all kids, I want to inspire all kids," Subban said.
Just how many more Subbans there will be will depend greatly on minor hockey's ability to overcome the reasons why many visible minorities stay away from the sport.

Pilot project underway​

Last year, Hockey Canada launched a pilot project, one of which was set-up in Victoria, aimed at encouraging new Canadians to lace up.
For one day, children of immigrant families were provided with free equipment and given skating lessons. At the end of the day, those who wanted to sign-up for a season could do so for $50. They could also keep the equipment they had worn that day.
Despite her reservations about violence hockey, Marcelina wanted her son to have the chance to try it. Gonzalo played the season and liked it so much he wanted to register again.
But to play a second season, the family would have had to pay regular fees, which they couldn't afford.
"It's such a high price for us," Marcelina said.
Such a scenario draws attention to what some are afraid of — temporary solutions.
"It's not something can be done overnight," said John Gardner, president of the Greater Toronto Hockey League.
In effort to connect with new Canadians, Gardner plans to distribute brochures about hockey in different languages in the school system. But he knows that education isn't enough.
"Hockey today, nationally, has to develop new ways to innovate and encourage more kids to get involved in the game," he said.
Scarborough Hockey Association president John Kelloway knows what can happen if such efforts aren't made.
Over the past 10 years, the SHA has shrunk from 10,000 players to 3,000.
The organization is down to four house leagues from seven, and the hockey association in Wexford, where Nur's son plays soccer, recently folded completely.
Estimating that that less than five per cent of the SHA's players are first-generation Canadian, Kelloway said, "Hockey is just becoming too expensive."

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
LOL! I can't ice skate.

Actually hockey is more like one of those things parents send kids to train when young hope they become NHL players kinds of thing. It is a big thing. Think of those parents send kids to piano class, dance class, tuition class in Singapore. Something like that when it comes to the hockey here.

Sports here is expensive especially if you want to get competitive.

And ice hockey.....again need physical attributes. Small size skinny kids cannot lah.
So hockey is macham a national sport there. Aiyah, just eat more beef or moose, will bulk up for sure. :biggrin:

I learned to ice skate years ago. Was into roller skating during my younger years. So the transition was not a huge hurdle.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/where-are-the-minorities-1.835849

Where are the minorities?​

New Canadians and visible minorities are staying away from Canada's game​

Lindsey Craig · CBC Sports · Posted: Jan 09, 2009 2:15 PM ET | Last Updated: January 12, 2009

white-guys-306.jpg

Predominantly white players are often behind the bench in Canadian arenas. ((Kevin Light/CBC Sports))
Abdalhafiz Nur arrived in Canada nearly 20 years ago from Eritrea, a country bordering Ethiopia and Sudan. He grew up playing soccer, as his father did, and is raising four kids with his wife in Toronto.
His 10-year-old son plays rep soccer year-round. His daughters play sports in school. Nur doesn't know which sport his two-year-old son will try, but he is sure of one thing — none will play hockey.
"Most of the people who come from Africa, they like soccer. When they come to Canada, hockey is expensive. Then there's all the material. Everyone can't afford to buy it," he said. "Hockey, it's very expensive, and aggressive. When I see it, it seems more violent than soccer. They fight."
Nur, 44, is a trained lab technician who works as a concierge at a condo. His wife is unemployed. They're just two of many immigrants who aren't registering their kids in Canada's national pastime.
Cost, cultural differences and, for some, a seemingly uninviting atmosphere are keeping immigrants and non-whites from playing Canada's game. Some work is being done across the country to change the trend, but it's a daunting task, and efforts have only just begun.
While Hockey Canada doesn't keep race-based stats, many involved with the sport say few players are of non-white descent, and overall registration numbers are dwindling.
Hockey Canada believes there's a link between the two trends and says new Canadians must be reached for the game to endure.
"We've always just opened our registration doors and people flock in ... But we can't do that anymore," said Glen McCurdie, Hockey Canada's senior director of member services.
"We don't feel we do a good job of marketing to new Canadians whose No. 1 choice may not be ice-related sports, but soccer, cricket, or something else," he said.

white-kids-on-ice-220.jpg

Many immigrants don't put their kids in hockey because they think it's a violent sport. ((Kevin Light/CBC Sports))
It's important to reach visible minorities and new Canadians, McCurdie said, since they comprise a large and growing part of Canadian society. It's something Hockey Canada is only starting to work on.
Canada's visible minority population is growing much faster than its total population, according to Statistics Canada. Between 1996 and 2001, it increased by 25 per cent, but in the same time period, the general population grew by only four per cent.
By 2017, roughly 20 per cent of Canada's population could be visible minorities —6.3 million to 8.5 million people — with close to half projected to be South Asian or Chinese.
The numbers are especially important considering recent census figures indicate Canada's pool of youth under-15 is shrinking. With a growing number of visible minorities comprising that pool, it will be essential for minor hockey associations to connect with them to keep afloat.

Money is an issue​

As Nur's situation demonstrates, doing so won't be easy.
The cost for a child to play house league hockey can easily surpass $300. Equipment can cost at least that amount, and that's not including expenses like travel or tournament fees. Hockey at more competitive levels can cost a several thousands of dollars each year.
Lorraine LeClair, executive director of the Multicultural Association of the Greater Moncton Area in New Brunswick, said financial obstacles can be even more paramount for new Canadians.
"There could be a situation where a doctor arrives and made 'X' amount of dollars, but comes here and has accreditation that may not be recognized …So they're making $20,000 to $40,000 less because they're in survivor mode as opposed to career mode," she said.
"You can see where they wouldn't have the extra funds for extra-curriculars. You're worrying more about having a roof over your head and three square meals on your plate," she added, also noting that parents are "less likely to spend $1,500 on equipment for a sport they don't know."
For Marcelina Benites and Richard Benites, who moved from Peru to Victoria in 2004, putting their six-year-old son, Gonzalo, in hockey is impossible to consider.
"We can't do it. We are still settling. We started from zero and we had to spend a lot of money ... The price is too high. We bought a house, we had to pay a high mortgage, it's not easy for us," Marcelina said.
They came to Canada because Richard, an IT professional, was offered a permanent job. But set-up costs put them back and they had to adjust from having two incomes to one. (Marcelina worked in Peru but now stays at home because they can't afford daycare for their three-year-old daughter.)
The couple still manages to register Gonzalo for indoor soccer in the winter and swimming in the summer. Such sports are much easier to afford, Marcelina said, noting she prefers them to hockey because they're not as rough.
"I do think the game is violent," she said. "I watch it on TV and I'm kind of disappointed … It's the main sport in Canada and I ask myself why is this [behaviour] allowed?"

'She thought it was a dangerous sport'​

Perceiving hockey as violent seems to be a common thread among those new to Canada.
Brian Tran, 19, who was born in Canada and raised by immigrant parents from Vietnam, said his mom didn't perceive hockey as a positive sport.
"She thought it was a dangerous sport and didn't want me to play ... I ended up in figure skating because it was less aggressive," he said, adding that his parents also put him in soccer and tennis.
But there are other reasons, as well, for new Canadians and visible minorities to turn from the sport.
Anthony Stewart, associate professor of English at Dalhousie University in Halifax, and author of the soon-to-be published book,You Must be a Basketball Player, says racism is also an issue in the minor hockey arena.
Stewart was raised in Ottawa by Jamaican parents and didn't want to play hockey because he didn't feel comfortable as a minority in the sport.
"I never played hockey, but just about every boy I knew growing up did. I remember hearing a few harrowing stories about black kids who played. You heard the things they were called and how they were treated," he said.

white-parents-220.jpg

A lack of diversity in minor hockey is also reflected in the stands. ((Kevin Light/CBC Sports))
"Hockey looked very hostile for kids who are different," Stewart said, noting the tensions that also exist between English and French players.
"When you hear white guys bad mouthing other white guys, when that started happening, none of that did anything to make me think hockey culture was any more welcoming to me," he said.
He can't say if racial slurs and insults are as prevalent as they once were, but notes, "You hear the stories the Williams sisters [Venus and Serena] tell, and Tiger Woods, the list goes on. It would be naive to think hockey would somehow be exempt from those sorts of practices. You see it all the time," he said.
"Has it changed? ... Look at the Canadian junior team and [P.K.] Subban. You'd have to ask him … What I can say with certainty is it's not easy for a variety of reasons to be the only anything in a place where people who look like you aren't normally present," he said.
P.K. Subban is a black defenceman from Toronto who recently made national headlines as one of the Canadian junior team's top players. He's been called a role model to young visible minorities, and CBC News recently asked him about it.
"If I am [a role model] to black kids, that's great. I hope I am. But truly to all kids, I want to inspire all kids," Subban said.
Just how many more Subbans there will be will depend greatly on minor hockey's ability to overcome the reasons why many visible minorities stay away from the sport.

Pilot project underway​

Last year, Hockey Canada launched a pilot project, one of which was set-up in Victoria, aimed at encouraging new Canadians to lace up.
For one day, children of immigrant families were provided with free equipment and given skating lessons. At the end of the day, those who wanted to sign-up for a season could do so for $50. They could also keep the equipment they had worn that day.
Despite her reservations about violence hockey, Marcelina wanted her son to have the chance to try it. Gonzalo played the season and liked it so much he wanted to register again.
But to play a second season, the family would have had to pay regular fees, which they couldn't afford.
"It's such a high price for us," Marcelina said.
Such a scenario draws attention to what some are afraid of — temporary solutions.
"It's not something can be done overnight," said John Gardner, president of the Greater Toronto Hockey League.
In effort to connect with new Canadians, Gardner plans to distribute brochures about hockey in different languages in the school system. But he knows that education isn't enough.
"Hockey today, nationally, has to develop new ways to innovate and encourage more kids to get involved in the game," he said.
Scarborough Hockey Association president John Kelloway knows what can happen if such efforts aren't made.
Over the past 10 years, the SHA has shrunk from 10,000 players to 3,000.
The organization is down to four house leagues from seven, and the hockey association in Wexford, where Nur's son plays soccer, recently folded completely.
Estimating that that less than five per cent of the SHA's players are first-generation Canadian, Kelloway said, "Hockey is just becoming too expensive."
OK, then send your kids for martial arts classes. They can beat up those ang mohs if they kena bullied. :biggrin:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
So hockey is macham a national sport there. Aiyah, just eat more beef or moose, will bulk up for sure. :biggrin:

I learned to ice skate years ago. Was into roller skating during my younger years. So the transition was not a huge huddle.

Dunno leh. I find ice skating more treacherous. Cos the ice very slippery. Not like inline skates or roller skates where you usually fall is due to slipping forwards and back on the rollers. The ice skate blade can slip laterally ie sideways!

Happened to me early on in 2010 during my first winter. I badly sprained by right knee Medial Collateral Ligaments. Could barely walk man! Took 2 days off (no pay) then went back to work at the PVC windows factory. Got to earn money.

So I am very careful and wary of the ice. No point lah at my age. And I dont find ice skating thrilling really. Skiing better.