• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Hiring SG'poreans first: can get around this ruling

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Firms must show they tried to recruit Singaporeans first

<time class="entry-date" datetime="2013-09-24T10:15:20+00:00" pubdate="">September 24, 2013</time> by sgfactblog
<!-- .entry-meta --><!-- .entry-header -->- Only then can they hire foreign PMEs; ads have to be run in new jobs bank
COMPANIES will soon have to prove they tried to hire Singaporeans first before they are allowed to recruit foreign professionals.

They will also have to pay the foreigners more, as part of a new move by the Government to prod companies to consider Singaporeans for vacancies instead of hiring non-citizens.

Central to these measures is a new government-run jobs bank which takes effect next August.

All companies with more than 25 employees must advertise professional, manager and executive (PME) posts that pay less than $12,000 a month, at the jobs bank.

The advertisements have to run for at least 14 days before they can apply to the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) for an Employment Pass (EP) for a foreigner. Those who fail to use the jobs bank will have their EP applications rejected.
The jobs bank will be established and run by the Singapore Workforce Development Agency in the middle of next year. It will be free for use by companies and job seekers.

Another change is that EP holders hired from January next year must be given a higher starting pay of $3,300 a month, up from $3,000 now.
This increase is to keep it in line with rising salaries.
The MOM also made clear that older and more experienced applicants must earn even more to get an EP, but it gave no details on these higher thresholds.
These various moves, part of what the ministry calls the Fair Consideration Framework, will ensure that Singaporeans get a fair chance at landing a PME job, said Acting Manpower Minister Tan Chuan-Jin.
But it is not a “Hire Singaporeans first” policy, he stressed, saying: “Singaporeans must still prove themselves able and competitive to take on the higher jobs that they aspire to.”
The latest changes come in the wake of complaints from Singaporeans that foreigners take up good-paying PME jobs.
Fair employment watchdog Tripartite Alliance for Fair Employment Practices reported 303 workplace discrimination complaints last year, up from 277 in 2011.
The MOM also warned yesterday that it will keep a close watch on companies with few Singaporeans in PME jobs and those with repeated complaints of unfair hiring practices.
Companies that fail to improve may face delays in their EP applications, or lose their privileges for hiring foreigners, it said.
Both the Singapore National Employers Federation and National Trades Union Congress welcomed the national jobs bank.
It will give companies access to a wider pool of local PMEs, said the SNEF.
NTUC’s leader for PME issues Patrick Tay, who is also an MP, said: “(It) should ensure foreign manpower complements rather than undercuts the skills of the local workforce.”
By Toh Yong Chuan Manpower Correspondent
The Straits Times Published on Sep 24, 2013

Last edited:

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can put in in advert that complies with the regulations but when I go through the applications that come in, I will shortlist based on the hiring criteria that I am not allowed to advertise:

- Language discrimination: shortlist Pinoys, Ah Nehs, Ah Tiongs
- Age discrimination: shortlist young, cheap workers
- Gender discrimination: shortlist sweet, young things
- Race discrimination: shortlist my own race
- Nationality: shortlist my own countryman

So what can the govt do about it?

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's a very big loop hole which has been overlooked.

Many of those job agencies have already been collecting large amount of foreign job applicants profile from India and Pinoy land.
There's no need for them to advertise for any post thru the local media or even at their own website.
The hiring manager just need to contact all these job agencies and they will have many candidates to choose from.
If the hiring manager is an "ah neh" or "pinoy", they can even link up with their local job agencies back in their home land.

There's no way to prove that all these firms have given local S'porean a chance for job interview unless the MOM
really dig deep into their hiring process and do a survey with the local S'porean candidates.

Kopisai

Alfrescian
Loyal
The government is not serious, these measures are just to swing back the votes of those swing voters. Jobs priority for
locals are a GIVEN in almost all countries except Spore , and only now our out of this world salary ministers are coming
out with policies to ensure this ?

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agree. The hiring agencies don't need to advertise. They have a website where applicants can send in their resume.

The hiring employer and/or the hiring agency only need to put up a sham advertisement. A small one will do, to minimise the cost of advertising. After that, the employment agency will dig into their electronic database of foreign resumes.

And employers will now use employment agencies who have a big database of foreign resumes. If anything goes wrong, employers can point the finger at the employment agency who is the one doing the advertising. Employment agencies said they also get "unsolicited applications" i.e those who send in their resumes but not for any particular position.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
stupid ruiling,

in thailand, you got to have the ratio of 1 foreigner to 10 thais.

sinkieland incompetent PAP leaders doesn't know what ratio is.

if you impose ratio hiring , you cannot get around the rules...

that is why i say these are fucktard sinkie incompetent leaders...

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I would like to see how those birdbrains at the MOM enforce this anti-discriminatory ruling.

All the firms need to do is to grant an interview to a random Sinkie, but nevertheless opt to hire an FT (which was the original plan anyway).

They will then claim that they have given Sinkie job applicants 'fair consideration'. Good luck attempting to disprove that. :rolleyes:

To solve the problem overnight:
Implement a minimum wage law, impose a mandatory Sinkie to FT ratio at the workplace, curb the number of employment passes issued.
Too bad that's no good for Project 6.9 million. :rolleyes:

nutty

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would like to see how those birdbrains at the MOM enforce this anti-discriminatory ruling.

All the firms need to do is to grant an interview to a random Sinkie, but nevertheless opt to hire an FT (which was the original plan anyway).

They will then claim that they have given Sinkie job applicants 'fair consideration'. Good luck attempting to disprove that. :rolleyes:

Implement a minimum wage law, impose a mandatory Sinkie to FT ratio at the workplace, curb the number of employment passes issued.

its just a wayang show, they have no intentions to enforce it

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can these gahmen-linked companes and ministries stop talking cock and set an example first themselves ?

SlickJon

Alfrescian
Loyal

its not even a ruling, just a "framework" where they "expect" employers to abide by....

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
stupid ruiling,

Hey you forgot to add that the Sinkie rulers are also BALLESS.

So it really a competition between who gets their balls together first.

Their Master or his peasants.

And if Sinkie peasants swallow such shit ruling 'lock stock and barrel' it will make them both ..

BALLESS and BRAINLESS! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Kopisai

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are a CEO of a company and are looking to hire a Project Manager , you definitely would not want to hire
a Singaporean who has reservist obligation , you don't want to waste time writing deferment letters which in 99.9 pct of the cases will be rejected (if you are in the mist of an ongoing project). They keep giving you the same crap excuses that your reservist are plan well in advance etc etc . In current business environment you cant really plan too far in advance so it is not the question that the foreign worker is cheaper in fact on a business point of view , you would rather pay more for a foreign Project Manager in order to have that flexibility.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
stupid ruiling,

Last I checked they HAD a ratio

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
there is really no point in implementing new policy but purposely leave the loopholes for employers to exploit. In the end, it the local who have to bear with all the inconvenience of sending resumes and going to interviews for jobs which they have no chance of getting.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
How stupid can the govt be? Apparently the sky is the limit!
This govt is not stupid, but too greedy to want to make major changes that will affect their own families' wealth and interests. They are hoping that this latest useless ruling will placate sinkies. I don't think the jobless PMET are that dumb to not see through these useless wayang to "protect" sinkie workers.

There is only one solution. Vote out TCJ.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
there is really no point in implementing new policy but purposely leave the loopholes for employers to exploit. In the end, it the local who have to bear with all the inconvenience of sending resumes and going to interviews for jobs which they have no chance of getting.
Sinkie PMETs are now almost like ex convicts. They will be called for interviews, but chance of success is still nil.

Vote out TCJ.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
stupid ruiling,

Chump, are you peeing your pants now that it is going to be more difficult for Malaysians like you to get a job here?

Our leaders are incompetent? Look who is talking? Your UMNO bosses are the best, correct?

Last edited: