• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

High Court dismisses AG’s appeal against Justice Pillai’s historic ruling

hsienloong

Alfrescian
Loyal
At a closed-door hearing today (14 Nov), the High Court has dismissed the Attorney-General’s (AG) application to appeal in the Court of Appeal against a judge’s decision to exempt Mdm Vellama from paying legal costs in the Hougang by-election case.

In a historic decision on the case, Justice Pillai of The High Court ruled on 1 Nov that no order of cost will be levied against applicant Mdm Vellama, as she has no private interest in her Constitutional Challenge (‘Hougang by-election case: Historic decision by Justice Pillai‘).

Mdm Vellama, a Hougang resident, filed a High Court application earlier this year in Mar seeking to have the Court reviewed the Constitution and declared that Prime Minister Lee does not have “unfettered discretion” in deciding whether and when to call a by-election after the Hougang seat became vacant.

When she lost her case in Aug, AG then asked for $10,000 in legal costs from her in early Oct. Justice Pillai’s Nov 1 ruling effectively denied AG’s claim for legal costs from her.

In the ruling, Justice Pillai said that while costs are generally awarded to the successful party, public interest considerations must be taken into account in this case. It said the court found that the “constitutional questions raised were of general public importance, as reflected in extensive debates by MPs both within Parliament and in the media, among constitutional law academics and on the internet and print media.”

Justice Pillai’s decision sets a new precedent in Singapore’s jurisprudence to protect litigants from costs in constitutional challenges in public interest. He said, “Where a matter raises a legal question of genuine public concern, it may be inappropriate to make a cost order against the applicant even where the judicial review is unsuccessful”.

AG was not happy and later filed an application attempting to overturn Justice Pillai’s historic ruling (‘AG appeals against Justice Pillai’s historic ruling‘). It said that its objective in appealing is to give the Supreme Court the opportunity to consider and clarify this issue of public importance. It also said that it had sought costs as substantial public resources had been incurred in the hearing of the case which it said was “entirely misconceived” in the first place.

However, at the closed-door hearing today, AG’s application has been dismissed. It did not give any comments to the media but confirmed that its application was not granted.

Hence, this means that in future, a private citizen can file constitutional challenges in the public interest on laws which may be deemed unfairly followed by the establishment without fear of paying substantive costs even if he loses in his application.

Source : http://www.tremeritus.com/2012/11/1...eal-against-justice-pillai’s-historic-ruling/

hsienloong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ah... yes finally... I am proud and glad that the High Court has made the right decision. Congratulation Guys. Good Job!

Now I can take a break and go on a much needed holiday.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Nie huey pin toh sek feng ar? Hup zai le...ng chor ga...yao dek sek yeh...yao dek kiew gai...yao peng yao zhen...moh dek teng ga...:biggrin::biggrin:

hsienloong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nie huey pin toh sek feng ar? Hup zai le...ng chor ga...yao dek sek yeh...yao dek kiew gai...yao peng yao zhen...moh dek teng ga...:biggrin::biggrin:

Hahaha... hoi sek fung lor... yeow noi yan .. beauties, yeow tuck sek... hmmmm delicious.. siok...
tan gor fen lai, gor cheng lei yam char.. yam seng... OK!

hsienloong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Justice Pillai will be made to retire soon knowing the PAP style

Well, I certainly hope my MIW wouldn't do such a silly thing,
my MIW should be intelligent enough not to create any disappointment while I am on my holiday.
Haha...hahahahahahaha..

hsienloong

Alfrescian
Loyal
remember the judge who ruled favourably for JBJ...he paid the price for it

That was LKY era. If not for the "Old Guards", LKY would have been booted out long ago.
LKY should be grateful to these "Old Guards" and not claim credits for himself only.
Look at him now, still trying to outshine me, I have no choice but to retire him.
He can now spent more time reliving his past glories of the 60's without jeopardizing my leadership.

Last edited:

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
That was LKY era. If not for the "Old Guards", LKY would have been booted out long ago.
LKY should be grateful to these "Old Guards" and not claim credits for himself only.
Look at him now, still trying to outshine me, I have no choice but to retire him.
He can now spent more time reliving his past glories of the 60's without jeopardizing my leadership.

Ah hsienloong that's the way to go! Your old man is still having the bad habit of speaking out of turn. His constant rubbish will assign you to the dumps sooner than later.

Actually I hope the old man will continue sprouting his rubbish till 2016. That's the time the ppl will teach this old man a severe lesson in humility!

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ah... yes finally... I am proud and glad that the High Court has made the right decision. Congratulation Guys. Good Job!

Now I can take a break and go on a much needed holiday.

thanks to ex-CJ CSK. this was probably one of his last directives as CJ before he stepped down.

MBSSLOTS

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
sundaresh was from Rajah and Tann construction law team.
he was judicial comm before but he didnt like the loss of privacy when wong kan seng was minister of home affairs.
apparently, the bodyguard will report the movements of the judges they protect to wong kan seng.
so imagine if you have a beer in a pub, even ah wong will know.

perhaps because now different as ah wong is gone.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sundaresh was from Rajah and Tann construction law team.
he was judicial comm before but he didnt like the loss of privacy when wong kan seng was minister of home affairs.
apparently, the bodyguard will report the movements of the judges they protect to wong kan seng.
so imagine if you have a beer in a pub, even ah wong will know.

perhaps because now different as ah wong is gone.

I am sure Shan was instrumental in SM's appointment. Ah Neh talk to Ah Neh less headache si bo? Frequency same same?

MBSSLOTS

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am sure Shan was instrumental in SM's appointment. Ah Neh talk to Ah Neh less headache si bo? Frequency same same?

fully agree...sumdaresh will be a more neutral CJ. unlike Wee Chong Jin, a 3rd class honours who became CJ or a Yung Pung Sai who is Lky buddy...