• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

He 'picks up' students who play truant

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
Honestly, how many teachers are really so responsible? I have heard that there are others who are not even bothered whether the students hand up their homework or not...

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Education/Story/A1Story20090504-139167.html

What are teachers to do when their students play truant?

Such is the dedication of two teachers in a school in the east, they drive to the homes of errant students just to send them to school.

One teacher interviewed by the Shin Min Daily News, Mr Chen Zi Cong, says he makes such trips at least once a week.

Mr Chen told reporters how one day, both he and another female teacher at school realised two students who regularly played truant had once again missed classes.

When the female teacher made a call to one of the students, the student who picked up the call proceeded to scold the teacher before hanging up.

Coincidentally, both students were staying in the same block. The two teachers decided to find them at their homes.

When they arrived at the one-room flat of one of the students, they saw him sleeping on the floor. His mother was also sleeping, but on the sofa.

"We called out to him many times, but he did not respond. His mother eventually woke up and let us in. I guess she knew we were there to get her son to school, because she did not ask who we were."

He continued: "She also did not seem perturbed or embarrassed at all. It was as if having teachers come to your home to pick your son up was the most natural thing in the world."

Mr Chen and his colleague then went up to the tenth floor to find the other student, who was also fast asleep.

"We woke him up, and told him to get dressed and we would take him to school. He didn't say anything and followed our instructions obediently." said Mr Chen.

When the teachers spoke to the mother, she said she had tried to get her son out of bed, but he refused. She even praised the teachers for 'having a way' with him.

He will not give up on students

Mr Chen said on the way to school, the students chatted amongst themselves. They told the teachers they were not worried about breaking school rules.

"When I asked them the reason for not going to school, they said their mothers had told them to stay at home if they didn't feel like going to school. They said it was fine as long as they don't cause trouble outside."

According to the Chinese daily, the school accepts students who do not fare well academically, and there are many students there who come from broken homes.

Mr Chen knows he faces an uphill struggle with these students when it comes to absenteeism, because even parents themselves do not think not going to school is wrong.

However, Mr Chen believes that as long as he perseveres, the students will realise teachers like himself only have their interests at heart.

The principal of the school also has encouraging words for teachers. He said: "Having faith and hope makes the impossible possible; love makes everything worthwhile."

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I wished i had teachers like these, i would be so touched and would study hard!

Instead i got teachers who flared at up at us for no good reason and find reasons to find fault. Always telling us Normal students are idiots, scold me when i mix with them and i "dirty" the Express class by talking to them.

Told me to quit school and be a taxi driver like my dad. Told me since i am working full time at night in factory(family needed me) not to take my O levels. When i didn't do well for my O levels, told me to not repeat and ask me to go work.

Said i will be a failure for life. Thank you Miss Chow, you have given me the inspiration to be someone despite all that you have done and said to me.

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
KPI for teachers nowadays becoming incredible. from teaching, gotta do councelling, gotta jaga ECA/CCA, gotta attend courses, gotta plan curriculum, gotta organize meet parent session, then now, latest addition be ahmad for the ponteng students? knn, might as well, tell teachers to be schoolbus drivers also?

i wonder y the ministry's recruitment campaign never include all these nonsense, which is already in their KPI? or is it just another scam, to con ppl to quit their secular jobs, so to allow more vacancy for FTs?