• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Has Singapore's education failed the Malay Community?

covertbriar

Alfrescian
Loyal
And so this difficult yet somewhat controversial question was finally raised by a brave soul at Reddit Singapore, where he cited excerpts of a recent conversation with a Malay friend and produced thoughtful perspectives based on his personal experiences:

"Was speaking to a Malay friend last night about how highly educated members of the Malay community in Singapore were and wondered why so many folks ended up in the Normal Technical Stream. He cited the fact that Malay families are too big and a significant number of them get started too early. To me, that doesn't make sense because there are also quite a few Chinese families that are quite big in size and they still do relatively well.

I personally feel that Malay families are more supportive towards their kids chasing their own dreams. Unfortunately for them, their dreams in Singapore just don't pay off financially; ultimately many of them have to endure a long and tedious process before ever achieving the slightest iota of tangible success.

Growing up, I studied in the Normal Academic stream and frankly this does something to your self-esteem. Even though I've caught up with my peers since, I always had a chip on my shoulders owing to the fact I had to work doubly hard to arrive at where I am today. With so many Malay kids being assigned to the Normal Technical stream, something ought to be done to at least minimize the stigma associated with this tier of secondary school education, which is often seen as reserved only for the less academically inclined."

Not unexpectedly many Reddiporeans chimed in with their viewpoints, some exerting that an individual's determination to make something of himself supersedes racial considerations. Others cited cultural differences, one's access to resources and the manner of upbringing as possible influencing factors. Then again, is the comparison between the academic achievements of Malays and Chinese (or any other race for that matter) even a fair one? More importantly, is the Singapore education system really complicit in not doing enough to give the Malay community a proper leg-up like everyone else, and meritocracy just a mere hip buzzword bandied about by the government? Food for thought by netizens showcased below:

By WLDKRT:

"I came from the Normal Technical stream and subsequently got posted to ITE Bishan. After which I completed my diploma, served the nation and went on to finish up a university degree (with Honours). All done locally. Most of my peers in university are working; I myself am starting my own business because of passion and I have no regrets. I am a Malay fyi.

My academic track record: My PSLE results was shitty (of course I deserved it because I played too much). My parents cried upon seeing my PSLE results and they told me straight to the face that I was a failure.

I went to the Normal Technical stream and most of my friends in secondary school were Malays - we often hung out at void decks "lepaking" and smoking. I took my 'N' Levels and I think I did ok. Failed in Maths though (obtained an U grade). That didn't stopped me.

In ITE, I took up Product Design because I felt it's one of the better courses for me, not withstanding the fact it was also one of the easiest to gain entry to. Did my 2 years there and graduated. Most of my lecturers encouraged me to aspire to attend institutions of higher learning because they saw my potential. To this very day, I am grateful that they pushed me beyond my limits. I graduated and was happy.

More at http://www.domainofexperts.com/2018/02/has-singapores-education-failed-malay.html

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there should be a diploma for lepaking, relacking, smoking pot, and playing guitar at void decks. it’s truly an authentic sinkie m&d qualification. will require prerequisite of fucking raw with a minah as a teenager to enrol.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there should be a diploma for lepaking, relacking, smoking pot, and playing guitar at void decks. it’s truly an authentic sinkie m&d qualification. will require prerequisite of fucking raw with a minah as a teenager to enrol.

That goes with, pedas, panas & pichar! also! don't forget...lobang pichar!...then come the product & that pocket pichar & from then on...everything pichar...with still can, lepakig, relacking...smoking..guitar..vroom..vroom...buy motorcycles ill can afford...another pichar pocket...then bayar this & that..another pichar pocket..

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ask yourself one question-the Pinoys are no better than the Malays and yet they can get cushy PMET jobs here easily, WHY?

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
my uncle ever say the easiest to be conned off money is those with some cloth on their top regardless of age and ironically our president belongs to this category :eek:

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
They shd strip naked swim back the Malai. Better prospect for Malai kia birds of same feather fuck together.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I don't see how our system has failed the m&ds. If students behaved and studied for their exams, there is no reason why they wouldn't obtain at least an average score that would allow them to study at the poly or a neighbourhood JC. It's understood that students who end up in the ITE are those who usually refuse to study, create a lot of mischief and get into fights regularly.

Sinkies need to learn to take personal responsibilities for their own lives instead of demanding for handouts. We could end up like some failed society if we insist on forever blaming others for our own failings.

kelton65

Alfrescian
Loyal
Government should reward the Malays with free education all the way to university for lifting up the birth rate.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is nothing wrong or different about Singapore's education system. It is the society that's fucked up and rigid, Gentrified into kiasuness,

Cheers!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Government should reward the Malays with free education all the way to university for lifting up the birth rate.

Make it free all the way....from childbirth to university & beyond....& guarantee a President position too. ( But there must be a safety valve to this, after "X" number, MUST POTONG) The more children they contribute, the more the incentives...this will spur the ultra competitive Chinese to outdo them...

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nothing to do the the education system and everything to do with their m&d religion best at turning them into terrorist.

Victory2016

Alfrescian
Loyal
Govt has to solve this very real problem of the Malay underclass, as well as those who are in the poverty trap.....

Pay PM a high salary so that he can come up with ideas.......
He has obviously failed.