• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival!!! Future is Bright!!

kopiOuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
ST_20150927_WSYPM27_1715537.jpg

GE over, haze clears and moon is visible, he says as he celebrates with residents
Wong Siew Ying
Bishan-Ang Mo Kio Park was a hive of activity as some 5,000 residents celebrated the Mid-Autumn Festival with Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong last night.

PM Lee, who is also an MP for Ang Mo Kio GRC, joined them for a lantern procession around the park's promenade and later said this year's celebration was a little more special for two reasons.

"First, we had the general election two weeks ago. Now that it's over, we can celebrate. Thank you for your support," he said, speaking in Mandarin.

Another reason was that the haze which shrouded Singapore in recent days had cleared "so we can see the moon" and the night was very beautiful.

Resident Melvin Hoon, 50, an engineer, agreed and was glad the skies had cleared in time as his 11-year-old son had been looking forward to the event.

"Kids like these events. If it was cancelled due to the haze, they won't get a chance to enjoy outdoor activities," said Mr Hoon.

PM Lee wished residents well with a Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival greeting and said he hoped "we will have a good year ahead and next year will be better".

At the event, he also put the finishing touches to a painting of Chang'e on a 3m tall SG50 lantern created by residents and grassroots leaders.

In Chinese mythology, Chang'e is the goddess of the moon and a central character in stories about the Mid-Autumn Festival.

An annual event, the Teck Ghee Lantern Night 2015 also featured booths set up by INTEREST groups where residents learnt calligraphy, and children attempted to create models from drinking straws.

Mr Lee was surrounded by residents as he toured various booths, and obliged numerous requests to take pictures with him.

Sculpted balloon figurines of Chang'e distributed by stilt walkers in costume were a hit with the crowd, especially the children.

For resident Jhoyce Wong, 36, the event was an opportunity to get together with friends: "We've lived in Ang Mo Kio for three years, this is my third time attending this event. My daughter made her own lantern. She's very excited."

Singaporean Patricia Kundig, 40, who lives in Switzerland and is back here on holiday said the event was a good experience for her four young children.

Former MPs S. Vasoo and Yeo Toon Chia also attended last night's festivities.

kopiOuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
23720124.jpg

JAKARTA — Bareskri, the National Police’s criminal investigation agency, has named 204 individuals and CORPORATIONS as suspects in illegal land burning operations in Kalimantan and Sumatra.

Hundreds of reports made to the police have resulted in 195 individuals and nine CORPORATIONS being named suspects, National Police Chief of Detectives Commissioner General Anang Iskandar said today (Sept 27).

He told The Jakarta Globe that 68 individuals and five executives from corporations have been detained by the police.

Previously, the Ministry of Environment ordered four companies to suspend operations after allegedly causing forest fires that sent smoke across a swath of Southeast Asia.

The move was part of nation-wide investigations against more than 200 companies as authorities scramble to bring the fires on Sumatra and Kalimantan islands under control by the end of November, amid complaints from neighbouring Singapore and Malaysia.

Government officials said that previous efforts to reduce the seasonal slash-and-burn practices have failed due to a lack of policy coordination and legal wrangling that could take years to resolve.

Mr Iskandar told the Jakarta Globe today that of the hundreds of cases reported to the National Police, Bareskrim will take four reports, with one already at a full investigation level and the remaining three still under preliminary investigation.

Other cases will be handled by the regional police, including by the provincial police of Riau, Jambi, Central Kalimantan, West Kalimantan and East Kalimantan.

Mr Iskandar did not announce the companies or individuals named as suspects, but previous report from Reuters mentioned the police have named an official overseeing operations at plantation company Langgam Inti Hibrindo a suspect for allegedly starting fires on the company’s land.

Langgam is owned by a small listed palm oil company called Provident Agro. Langgam and Provident have yet to make a statement regarding the allegations. THE JAKARTA GLOBE

kopiOuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
12074896_847937505284427_436833460744322002_n.jpg

12074980_847937518617759_4335435856589274948_n.jpg

My Indonesian counterpart, Coordinating Minister Luhut Panjaitan, phoned me this afternoon. He assured me that the Indonesian government is taking the haze very seriously and deploying more troops to deal with the fires. I thanked him, and told him that Singapore too is taking the haze very seriously. We closed schools last Friday when the PSI reached hazardous levels, and I was at that very moment of his phone call, visiting my elderly and vulnerable residents to check on their well-being, and distributing masks. I informed him that we receive many questions from Singaporeans and the international community, and will have to let them know, factually, the seriousness of the haze situation. I also informed him that Singapore’s offer to assist Indonesia in our own small way to put out the fires still stands – it would be a sign of cooperation between our two countries, so that Indonesians and Singaporeans need not suffer the haze.

kopiOuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
12068953_10153696115894759_8358232477176295458_o.jpg

12015219_1048949075145912_6800836283607464113_o.jpg

with world events moving so fast now and with our neighbours in a very volatile mood, will we be able to see the FULL MOON next year?

will singaporeans be able to celebrate with peace, harmony and calmness the next Mid Autumn Festival ???

TONIGHT: Mid Autumn Festival + Blood Moon + Total Lunar Eclipse!
Did you know? Today's Mid Autumn Festival coincides with a blood moon lunar eclipse tonight, an event so rare it's only happened 5 times since 1900. Miss it and you'll have to wait till 2033 to catch the next one.
Unfortunately, the supermoon eclipse will not be visible to those of us in Asia. It will only be visible tonight in the Americas and in western Europe and Africa tomorrow night.

Last edited: