• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ground Zero CDC TTSH

Sayn

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last week was a routine trip to the USA again, apart from a presentation that was still in progress, my main concerns were trying to avoid DVT on the 18 plus hour flights to and from SFO.

Unfortunately, i came down with a bad case of flu, fever, shortness of breath and a racking cough on last Wednesday in the USA. I just blamed it on the variable weather over there. Monday Tuesday was extremely Sunny, Wednesday onwards it got really really cool.

So off to Walgreen, which is located at almost every corner, loaded up with Tylenol 3 in 1 fever 39.1 celcius, flu, cough mixtures, tablets and spent the whole Friday curled up in bed,, by that time, walking a short 20 metres, i got breathless.
One of the worst flus i ever had in my life.

Recovered sufficiently enough to check in for a 1am flight back to SG, surprisingly on the flight, i managed to get more than 10 hours of sleep.
Arrived back in Changi at about 11am, took twice the time to check out of the airport, walking very very slowly and spent sunday sleeping.

No idea there was anything called the Swine Flu as yet.

Monday reported to my GP, 37.7, who sent me home with some antibiotics and panadol, i actually junked most of the OTC medication i got in the states, they were really very strong. And gotten an xray at the Hougang Poly in the afternoon, yep no fever by the time i got there.

Well on Tuesday, i was called up by my GP, who said that i had to report to TTSH, as it was a MOH directive, at this time, i was already cleared of a fever, and feeling quick frisky.

Well, suspecting the procedure was going to be quarantine, i packed my laptop, my maxmobile, my travel pouch, my earplugs and toiletry bag.

I was actually thinking about how to get there, as i definitely did not want to take a cab or the MRT. I was quite happy, when i was informed that the ambulance would pick me up and bring me to the hospital directly, which was a godsend, the whole process was quick, from the moment i was contacted to the dispatch of the ambulance, so fast that i could not even manage to get my breakfast or lunch.

The whole process of registering, getting through Triage, getting swabs taken, blood drawn, was excellent, fast and professional.

The most impressive aspect was that the docs/nurses were fully armoured up, face masks (1-2), googles, visor shield for the eyes etc for the docs, disposable gowns etc, which is critical. If i had coughed while they were taking swab samples, i could have infected them instantly if i was a infected vector. Which i feel is essential, they were already taking very high level of risks.

By 3pm, i was in a single bed room, with aircon, and i spent the next 5 hours clearing emails. Was visited by my doctor and even the head of department, quite touched by that. I mean, would you go and check on a suspected vector, if it was already done by one of your direct reports?

Well, i have to be in quarantine, till tomorrow to confirm if i have the virus, which is all good by me.

I really appreciate the process in place to bring suspected cases, into quarantine to determine the status conclusively.

I was supposed to be travelling to Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Beijing, Hong Kong, all within the next 5 weeks and i really do not want to end up in the history books as the bloke who spread "Spam Fever" across asia pacific.

The only problem is that i am going to miss squakbox tonight, the most addictive entertainment program....

sayn

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
imagine visiting these countries and kena quarantine every step of the way from 2 days to 2 weeks

Sayn

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was in TTSH/CDC from Tuesday before getting the all clear and being released on Thursday.

Individually, the nurse, doctors and others were all nice individuals, who was braving high risks whilst trying to keep all of us comfortable in this traumative period, so i thank them gratefully from the bottom of my heart. And whilst the process was not perfect, it has improved very much so than the last SARs episode imho.

Looking back, there was a few issues with the process, the triage, the process, that could be improved.

Comments

01. During the triage, it is an open space, where the suspects are seated in close proximity, most with masks, ( not the same type as usded by the doctors or nurses") one or two without.

Jusy imagine, if the flu can be spread from human to human via a cough or sneeze, all of the possible infected folks, would have been truly infected from a possibility to a certainty.

It is akin to sending SARs infected patients to be quarantined at home and end up infecting all family members.

So go there with a good mask that can filter out flu bug :smile:

02 Need more protection against patient cross infection.

Whilst the nurses, doctors are all fully suited up, the patients are just kept in "isolation wards" single bed.
No mask, nada.
And whether the room is kept at positive or negative pressure, who knows, as the door ain't closed properly 10% of the time.

02.1 Precautions.
Each time, the nurse, the food server or doctor comes in the room. They are fully suited and before they leave, whilst in the same room, they would take off their out layer suites and dispose it into the rubbish bin.
Which strikes me as interesting.
Plus you get the occassional server etc, who pops open your room and dispose of their gowns, presumably, they were in another room and forgot to take it off.

So how nervous did i get? quite.

02.2 Sharing of Portable Blood Pressure Machines.
Apparently, there is not enough blood pressure machines, so they push in the machines, every time they need to measure your BP.
And guess what the machines are being shared between different patients.
So did i see any cleansing of the blood pressure cuffs, in between measuring different patients.

So if one of the other patients had the FLU or some other infectious skin diseases, would i have been infected, surely yes i believe.

Please buy enough machines.

0.3 CDC apparently only has patient gowns for the normal sizes.
Well, lets put it this way. If you are big, you are not
going to get any patient gowns to fit you.
Checked in on Tuesday, given gowns that do not fit.
Asked again on Wednesday, give gowns that still do not fit and it took about 3 hours to get it and it was like skin tight :smile:

Survival Tips when reporting sick.
I was actually freezing most of the time, due to the air con blowing on me directly... and i am used to 24 degrees at home...

a. Pack an small light back pack, whether seeing a GP or Poly or hospital.
i. Toothpaste Brush, Shampoo, soap et al.
ii. Enough clothes for 3 days.
Comfortable loose clothes
Bring a sweater ( apparently, there was only one remote
control for the air con, and it was either too hot or cold)
Plus a :smile: woolen pull over for your head.
Underwear, a towel or two, face towels.
Your medications or vitamins
Pair of plastic flip flops for the bath room.

iii. Next Bring a laptop and mobile internet or bring a RJ 45 cable.
And if you have DVDs, bring em along, you are going to be
bored with DVD player, ipods
Good time to catch up with your email or web surfing.
Write your will as well, you might be infected (touch wood)
A notepad, a couple of pens.

iv. Bring some snacks, you are going to be famished by the time you check out, and you are not going to buy food at the canteen below :smile:.

It was an interesting experience and a slight life changing moment, to recall, RAH, live each day as though its your first, and seriously, it could be our last....

sayn
PS: i am packing the light stay pack, just in case, on my next trip out or into singapore, i get quarantined again, either with an infected passenger on the plane or hotel you are staying at :smile:
Plus buying some good face masks. ( Risk Mitigation).

Thanks TTSH and CDC Ward 82 staff.

Last edited:

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
WELL done, the world needs more considerate and understanding and socially responsible people like you

Not like the CHOW AH GUA Britons confined in a hotel in Hong Kong with luxuries and complaining endlessly to staff

Singapore is very vulnerable because we are very densely populated

So all must play their part and dont follow the WEAK WESTERN CULTURE

Last week was a routine trip to the USA again, apart from a presentation that was still in progress, my main concerns were trying to avoid DVT on the 18 plus hour flights to and from SFO.

Unfortunately, i came down with a bad case of flu, fever, shortness of breath and a racking cough on last Wednesday in the USA. I just blamed it on the variable weather over there. Monday Tuesday was extremely Sunny, Wednesday onwards it got really really cool.

So off to Walgreen, which is located at almost every corner, loaded up with Tylenol 3 in 1 fever 39.1 celcius, flu, cough mixtures, tablets and spent the whole Friday curled up in bed,, by that time, walking a short 20 metres, i got breathless.
One of the worst flus i ever had in my life.

Recovered sufficiently enough to check in for a 1am flight back to SG, surprisingly on the flight, i managed to get more than 10 hours of sleep.
Arrived back in Changi at about 11am, took twice the time to check out of the airport, walking very very slowly and spent sunday sleeping.

No idea there was anything called the Swine Flu as yet.

Monday reported to my GP, 37.7, who sent me home with some antibiotics and panadol, i actually junked most of the OTC medication i got in the states, they were really very strong. And gotten an xray at the Hougang Poly in the afternoon, yep no fever by the time i got there.

Well on Tuesday, i was called up by my GP, who said that i had to report to TTSH, as it was a MOH directive, at this time, i was already cleared of a fever, and feeling quick frisky.

Well, suspecting the procedure was going to be quarantine, i packed my laptop, my maxmobile, my travel pouch, my earplugs and toiletry bag.

I was actually thinking about how to get there, as i definitely did not want to take a cab or the MRT. I was quite happy, when i was informed that the ambulance would pick me up and bring me to the hospital directly, which was a godsend, the whole process was quick, from the moment i was contacted to the dispatch of the ambulance, so fast that i could not even manage to get my breakfast or lunch.

The whole process of registering, getting through Triage, getting swabs taken, blood drawn, was excellent, fast and professional.

The most impressive aspect was that the docs/nurses were fully armoured up, face masks (1-2), googles, visor shield for the eyes etc for the docs, disposable gowns etc, which is critical. If i had coughed while they were taking swab samples, i could have infected them instantly if i was a infected vector. Which i feel is essential, they were already taking very high level of risks.

By 3pm, i was in a single bed room, with aircon, and i spent the next 5 hours clearing emails. Was visited by my doctor and even the head of department, quite touched by that. I mean, would you go and check on a suspected vector, if it was already done by one of your direct reports?

Well, i have to be in quarantine, till tomorrow to confirm if i have the virus, which is all good by me.

I really appreciate the process in place to bring suspected cases, into quarantine to determine the status conclusively.

I was supposed to be travelling to Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Beijing, Hong Kong, all within the next 5 weeks and i really do not want to end up in the history books as the bloke who spread "Spam Fever" across asia pacific.

The only problem is that i am going to miss squakbox tonight, the most addictive entertainment program....

sayn

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was in the library today & notice they have started contact tracing.

Oh well, better late then never :rolleyes: