• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Great Grandpa ancestors of Ikan Bilis was giant 30tons

condom_loong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anchovy_bones_-_subtle_crunch_%26_salt_with_a_deep_flavor_of_the_sea_%285376842215%29.jpg

20131004-twasehq-anchovy-taste-test-3.jpg

oct2008-019.jpg

If you compared the bones of the skeletal structures, it looks like the Ikan Bilis that i ate all life KNN.

https://www.livescience.com/62258-largest-ichthyosaur-on-record.html

Prehistoric Sea Monster Was Nearly the Size of a Blue Whale
By Laura Geggel, Senior Writer | April 9, 2018 04:04pm ET

• MORE

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA5OS8yODgvb3JpZ2luYWwvZ2lhbnQtaWNodGh5b3NhdXItZHJhd2luZy5qcGc=

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA5OS8yODgvb3JpZ2luYWwvZ2lhbnQtaWNodGh5b3NhdXItZHJhd2luZy5qcGc=

An artist's interpretation of the giant ichthyosaur, which was almost as large as a modern blue whale.
Credit: Copyright Nobumichi Tamura
About 205 million years ago, a ginormous sea monster — so large it was nearly the size of a modern blue whale — swam through the ocean, fueling its colossal body by preying on prehistoric squid and fish, a new study finds.

The recent discovery of this creature's immense jawbone has helped researchers identify a previously unknown species and to solve a nearly 170-year-old mystery. In 1850, beachgoers in southern England found Late Triassic fossils by the shore that were so massive, they were thought to be the limb bones of giant dinosaurs, such as the long-necked sauropods.

But now, thanks to the newfound jawbone finding, researchers think those bones likely belonged to the largest-known ichthyosaur (ik-thee-o-saur) ever found. These creatures, marine reptiles resembling modern-day dolphins, went extinct at the end of the dinosaur age, around 66 million years ago. [Image Gallery: Ancient Monsters of the Sea]

In May 2016, while walking on a beach in Lilstock, England, study co-researcher and fossil collector Paul de la Salle found pieces of a jawbone that, when pieced together, measured an astounding 3.1 feet (96 centimeters) long.

MTUyMzMwNDA1NA==

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA5OS8yODkvb3JpZ2luYWwvR2lhbnQtaWNodGh5b3NhdXItamF3LmpwZz8xNTIzMzA0MDU0

The jawbone of the giant ichthyosaur
Credit: Dean Lomax/The University of Manchester
After connecting with ichthyosaur researchers, including Dean Lomax, a paleontologist at The University of Manchester in England, and Judy Massare, professor emerita of geology at SUNY College at Brockport in New York, de la Salle determined that the specimen belonged to a giant ichthyosaur known as a shastasaurid from the Triassic, which lasted from 251 million to 199 million years ago. The researchers have yet to name the new species and are calling it the Lilstock specimen for now.

Based on the jawbone's length, the researchers estimated that the Lilstock ichthyosaur measured more than 85 feet (26 meters) long, making it the largest ichthyosaur on record — up to 25 percent larger than the previous shastasaurid record holder, Shonisaurus sikanniensis, a 69-foot-long (21 m) beast found in British Columbia, the researchers said.

"The Shonisaurus specimen is much more complete, including the back half of the skull, most of the backbone and ribs, some of the shoulder bones and part of the tail," Massare, the study's co-researcher, told Live Science. "A comparison with the back of the Shonisaurusjawindicates that our specimen is larger, but we know much less about it because it is just one bone."

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA5OS8yOTAvaTAyL2dpYW50LWljaHRoeW9zYXVyLXNrZWxldG9uLmpwZz8xNTIzMzA0MTEx

A life and skeletal illustration of the ichthyosaur.
Credit: Copyright Nobumichi Tamura; Scott Hartman
The world was a very different place when the Lilstock ichthyosaur was alive. During the Late Triassic, the giant supercontinent, called Pangaea, was beginning to split up, said Lomax, the study's lead researcher. "What is now the United Kingdom would have been surrounded by a warm, tropical sea," he noted. "On land, it was very hot and dry, with desert-like conditions."

The jawbone discovery reveals more about the animals that lived in England's ancient tropical seas. And it's also solved the mystery of the so-called dinosaur bones.

"Due to Paul’s discovery, we have managed to unlock the mystery of these giant 'dinosaur limb bones' — they are bones from the mandible of giant ichthyosaurs," Lomax said.

The study was published online today (April 9) in the journal PLOS ONE.

Original article on Live Science.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
so they found pieces of a jawbone and then proceeded to construct an entire marine dino? That's science fiction not paleontology.

Slim_10_Sg

Alfrescian
Loyal
so they found pieces of a jawbone and then proceeded to construct an entire marine dino? That's science fiction not paleontology.

These ancient things are no longer around in complete unit. So it is Jig-Saw-Puzzle game, you have to fit pieces together from number of incomplete sets here and there.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
they found a jawbone in southern england and they compared it with a similar but smaller jawbone found in british columbia which belonged to a fuller fossil skeleton of an itchyteosoreness. from the comparison they determined that it was a jawbone of an itchyteosoreness. a case of inference mah. paleontology is mostly about comparing boners. which one is larger. like sinkies today must compare boners with ah neh and amdk.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
These ancient things are no longer around in complete unit. So it is Jig-Saw-Puzzle game, you have to fit pieces together from number of incomplete sets here and there.
So i reckon a lot of creativity needs to go into their jig-saw puzzle construction. Can take reference from sci-fi movies and Hollywood :biggrin:

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
they found a jawbone in southern england and they compared it with a similar but smaller jawbone found in british columbia which belonged to a fuller fossil skeleton of an itchyteosoreness. from the comparison they determined that it was a jawbone of an itchyteosoreness. a case of inference mah. paleontology is mostly about comparing boners. which one is larger. like sinkies today must compare boners with ah neh and amdk.
So, it's a very imprecise "science". Itchyteosoreness must have gone extinct due to frequent unprotected sex and loose living. Kena itchy privates and soreness all over. :biggrin:

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Megalodon is still alive and living in the Mariana Trench. Nat Geo says so, so it must be true.
Researchers reveal true scale of megalodon shark for first time | Sharks
A computerised image of an Otodus megalodon swimming after a pod of dolphins.
A computerised image of an <em>Otodus megalodon </em>swimming after a pod of dolphins. Photograph: Corey Ford/Alamy Stock Photo
UK study shows dorsal fin of prehistoric mega-fish was similar height to adult human

PA Media
Thu 3 Sep 2020 20.12 AEST
The enormous size of a prehistoric mega-shark made famous in Hollywood films has been revealed for the first time in its entirety by a UK study.

Previously only the length of the Otodus megalodon had been estimated, but a team from the University of Bristol and Swansea University has determined the size of the rest of its body, including fins as large as an adult human.

The great white shark – depicted in the 1975 movie hit Jaws – is a distant descendant of the megalodon and often measures more than 6 metres in length.

Researchers used mathematical methods and comparisons with living relatives to find the overall size of the megalodon, which lived from about 23m to 3m years ago but has attracted fame more recently in Hollywood movies including The Meg.

The results suggest a 16-metre megalodon is likely to have had a head about 4.65 metres long, a dorsal fin 1.62 metres tall and a tail 3.85 metres long.

This means an adult human could stand on the back of the shark and be about the same height as the dorsal fin.

Jack Cooper, who has a master’s degree in palaeobiology from the University of Bristol’s school of earth sciences, described the study as his “dream project”.

“I have always been mad about sharks. As an undergraduate, I have worked and dived with great whites in South Africa – protected by a steel cage of course,” he said.

“It’s that sense of danger, but also that sharks are such beautiful and well-adapted animals, that makes them so attractive to study.

“Megalodon was actually the very animal that inspired me to pursue palaeontology in the first place at just six years old, so I was over the moon to get a chance to study it.

“This was my dream project. But to study the whole animal is difficult considering that all we really have are lots of isolated teeth.”

Previously the fossil shark was only compared with the great white but the latest analysis was expanded to include five current-day species of shark.

The researchers first tested whether the living animals changed proportion as they grew but found this was not the case.

“This means we could simply take the growth curves of the five modern forms and project the overall shape as they get larger and larger – right up to a body length of 16 metres,” Cooper said.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Researchers reveal true scale of megalodon shark for first time | Sharks
A computerised image of an Otodus megalodon swimming after a pod of dolphins.
A computerised image of an <em>Otodus megalodon </em>swimming after a pod of dolphins. Photograph: Corey Ford/Alamy Stock Photo
UK study shows dorsal fin of prehistoric mega-fish was similar height to adult human

PA Media
Thu 3 Sep 2020 20.12 AEST
The enormous size of a prehistoric mega-shark made famous in Hollywood films has been revealed for the first time in its entirety by a UK study.

Previously only the length of the Otodus megalodon had been estimated, but a team from the University of Bristol and Swansea University has determined the size of the rest of its body, including fins as large as an adult human.

The great white shark – depicted in the 1975 movie hit Jaws – is a distant descendant of the megalodon and often measures more than 6 metres in length.

Researchers used mathematical methods and comparisons with living relatives to find the overall size of the megalodon, which lived from about 23m to 3m years ago but has attracted fame more recently in Hollywood movies including The Meg.

The results suggest a 16-metre megalodon is likely to have had a head about 4.65 metres long, a dorsal fin 1.62 metres tall and a tail 3.85 metres long.

This means an adult human could stand on the back of the shark and be about the same height as the dorsal fin.

Jack Cooper, who has a master’s degree in palaeobiology from the University of Bristol’s school of earth sciences, described the study as his “dream project”.

“I have always been mad about sharks. As an undergraduate, I have worked and dived with great whites in South Africa – protected by a steel cage of course,” he said.

“It’s that sense of danger, but also that sharks are such beautiful and well-adapted animals, that makes them so attractive to study.

“Megalodon was actually the very animal that inspired me to pursue palaeontology in the first place at just six years old, so I was over the moon to get a chance to study it.

“This was my dream project. But to study the whole animal is difficult considering that all we really have are lots of isolated teeth.”

Previously the fossil shark was only compared with the great white but the latest analysis was expanded to include five current-day species of shark.

The researchers first tested whether the living animals changed proportion as they grew but found this was not the case.

“This means we could simply take the growth curves of the five modern forms and project the overall shape as they get larger and larger – right up to a body length of 16 metres,” Cooper said.
Thanks for sharing. Wow, my post was from more than two years back!:biggrin:

Why they called it Otodus megalodon? When it should be Carcharocles megalodon. Because Otodus evolved into the genus Carcharocles. I should know, because I am a well-known paleontologist.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for sharing. Wow, my post was from more than two years back!:biggrin:

Why they called it Otodus megalodon? When it should be Carcharocles megalodon. Because Otodus evolved into the genus Carcharocles. I should know, because I am a well-known paleontologist.
I just know it's good supply for sharks fin...yum yum

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shark researchers size up real 'Megalodon' for first time
  • 03 September 2020
  • Wales
Share this with EmailShare this with FacebookShare this with TwitterShare this with Whatsapp
image of diver next to megalodon
Image caption How a human diver would have compared to the real Meg
The enormity of a prehistoric mega-shark made famous in Hollywood films has finally been revealed by researchers.
Until now, only the length of the Otodus Megalodon, as featured in the 2018 film The Meg, had been estimated from fossils of its teeth.
However a team from Swansea and Bristol universities have combined maths with nature to reveal just how big it was.
The study has been published in the journal Scientific Reports.
Researchers used mathematical methods and comparisons with living relatives to find the overall size of the megalodon, which lived from about 23 million to three million years ago.
woman looking through shark bones
Image caption The project was supervised by shark expert Dr Catalina Pimiento of Swansea University
Results suggest a 16m (52ft) megalodon - almost three times as long as a great white shark - is likely to have had a head about 4.65m (15ft) long, a dorsal fin as large as an entire adult human and a tail about 3.85m (13ft) high.
Jack Cooper, who is to study a PHD in palaeobiology at Swansea University, described the research as his "dream project".
"Megalodon was the very animal that inspired me to pursue palaeontology but studying the whole animal is difficult considering all we really have are lots of isolated teeth," he said.
"It's significant that we have now been able to produce estimates of proportions and dimensions of the body parts when there are no fossils to go off.
"However the dimensions in the film were actually pretty accurate."
Image copyright Jack CooperImage caption"I've always been mad about sharks," said Jack Cooper
Previously, the shark was only compared with the great white, but the latest analysis was expanded to include five modern sharks, including the makos, salmon shark and porbeagle shark.
Mr Cooper added: "We could take the growth curves of the five modern forms and project the overall shape as they get larger and larger - right up to a body length of 16 metres."