• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Grassroots Leader Sear Hock Rong Scandal - Conflict of Interest

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please check out the code of corporate governance and its basic principles, it goes beyond conflict of interest.

if one runs foul of the code of conduct in a company or a corporate entity, profit or non-profit, the most he would face is a dismissal or loss of job. it does not amount to a criminal offense. the company may serve him a civil suit immediately upon dismissal if there's impropriety or conduct unbecoming which may hurt the reputation of the entity, or they can forward the complaint to an investigative agency which may decide to pursue further if the case warrants a civil suit. code of conduct is a set of company rules, not law. if someone breaks it, the company punishes him, not the authorities.

it's the same everywhere, except perhaps in iran, burma and north korea... and may be sinkapoor? :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
As I explained to forummer Perspective a few post ahead that you will find that procedures would have been followed. PA is an unusual animal for a govt body. It has been a political institution from the very start, firstly to fight the communist and then has morphed to supporting the PAP.

The people in PA are very cautious, strict when handing our money, contracts etc. These controls tend to focus on people who volunteer for grassroots roles but do very little and hope to get these contracts. I have known cases where grassroots credentials flashed by grassroots leaders to bully others or seek a favour and they have been kicked out.

Unfortunately PA over the years cannot differentiate or pretends that it cannot differentiate between actual community work and PAP work. In fact the 2 roles are pretty much the same. So if you are hard working PAP worker, you will be rewarded. To PA its grassroots and community work.

Since you are such a hardworking PAP worker, the committee that decides on contracts, jobs will naturally give it to you because they have seen you around taking part in activites. You obviously can't be on the committee. When its your turn to decide on awarding contracts, you will be obliged to scratch the back for some other PAP fellow. And it goes on and on. Thats why its not allowed in public listed companies and the civils service all over the world.

The only leg to stand on is to treat it as a moralily issue. The best is to keep up the pressure on YPAP, PAP, PA and Govt to wipe out this abuse.

I recall that Chairman of PSC Eddie Teo lamenting about scholars that tender their resignation or complain when asked to go to PA amongst other less pleasant jobs. The role with PA is certainly not equivalent to be sent to Siberia. The morally right chaps hoping to sleep nights do not want to have blood on their hands. The corporate minded ones can't see a clear role in PA. Those who will sell their mother for a buck and hoping to be recognised will put up their hands. Its a dirty role. And its common knowledge that Civil Servants consider PA a political animal and dirty and want no part of it.

Unfortunately you have young politically ambitious and the keen networkers like Genesis Shen, Edgar Kieu, Sear Hock Rong, Koh Yeong Ming, Fong Yoong Keong who will do grassroots work and probably spend a lot of time and effort in order to get ahead. What they do not realise is that some of the PA endorsed practices are bias towards the PAP, damages the democracy and allows leaches to thrive. The system does not allow community grassroots work to thrive on a non-political platform.

I will loath to call myself a grassroots volunteer while getting rewards financially and in kind from the very grassroots organisation that I am in. The same goes to those that defend and support such practices and pretend that it is not morally wrong and that it is an abuse. They know very well that it is not against the law but to me its no different to a brothelkeeper operating in a Home Affairs licensed brothel in the authorised redlight districts. Why you think that Edgar and Sear are constantly urging people to report to the authorities if they are not happy, knowing very well that it allowed by law.

As Sear challenges us to file a report on him without specifying the venues for that, so what are to do? Say like no say (讲好像没讲).

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spot on bro.

if one runs foul of the code of conduct in a company or a corporate entity, profit or non-profit, the most he would face is a dismissal or loss of job. it does not amount to a criminal offense. the company may serve him a civil suit immediately upon dismissal if there's impropriety or conduct unbecoming which may hurt the reputation of the entity, or they can forward the complaint to an investigative agency which may decide to pursue further if the case warrants a civil suit. code of conduct is a set of company rules, not law. if someone breaks it, the company punishes him, not the authorities.

it's the same everywhere, except perhaps in iran, burma and north korea... and may be sinkapoor? :biggrin:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
PA is an unusual animal for a govt body. It has been a political institution from the very start, firstly to fight the communist and then has morphed to supporting the PAP.

The people in PA are very cautious, strict when handing our money, contracts etc. These controls tend to focus on people who volunteer for grassroots roles but do very little and hope to get these contracts. I have known cases where grassroots credentials flashed by grassroots leaders to bully others or seek a favour and they have been kicked out.

Unfortunately PA over the years cannot differentiate or pretends that it cannot differentiate between actual community work and PAP work. In fact the 2 roles are pretty much the same. So if you are hard working PAP worker, you will be rewarded. To PA its grassroots and community work.

Since you are such a hardworking PAP worker, the committee that decides on contracts, jobs will naturally give it to you because they have seen you around taking part in activites. You obviously can't be on the committee. When its your turn to decide on awarding contracts, you will be obliged to scratch the back for some other PAP fellow. And it goes on and on. Thats why its not allowed in public listed companies and the civils service all over the world.

The only leg to stand on is to treat it as a moralily issue. The best is to keep up the pressure on YPAP, PAP, PA and Govt to wipe out this abuse.

I recall that Chairman of PSC Eddie Teo lamenting about scholars that tender their resignation or complain when asked to go to PA amongst other less pleasant jobs. The role with PA is certainly not equivalent to be sent to Siberia. The morally right chaps hoping to sleep nights do not want to have blood on their hands. The corporate minded ones can't see a clear role in PA. Those who will sell their mother for a buck and hoping to be recognised will put up their hands. Its a dirty role. And its common knowledge that Civil Servants consider PA a political animal and dirty and want no part of it.

Unfortunately you have young politically ambitious and the keen networkers like Genesis Shen, Edgar Kieu, Sear Hock Rong, Koh Yeong Ming, Fong Yoong Keong who will do grassroots work and probably spend a lot of time and effort in order to get ahead. What they do not realise is that some of the PA endorsed practices are bias towards the PAP, damages the democracy and allows leaches to thrive. The system does not allow community grassroots work to thrive on a non-political platform.

I will loath to call myself a grassroots volunteer while getting rewards financially and in kind from the very grassroots organisation that I am in. The same goes to those that defend and support such practices and pretend that it is not morally wrong and that it is an abuse. They know very well that it is not against the law but to me its no different to a brothelkeeper operating in a Home Affairs licensed brothel in the authorised redlight districts. Why you think that Edgar and Sear are constantly urging people to report to the authorities if they are not happy, knowing very well that it allowed by law.

Ever since the PAP party branches were captured by the Barisan and Chin Siong's faction, the Old Man created CCs to replace them, and for the sake of quickly increasing the numbers to play against the Barisan's, they became easy seeding grounds for anything that will grow the PAP brand. Old Man of course, always the touted 'visionary leader' with 'bold strategies' and a lawsmith to boot, ensured all the stops were pulled out to facilitate their growth. His ploy worked so well for nearly 5 decades that it has now kind of run on auto-pilot, even when the 'Communist threat' is over and pork barrel politics are rather rife. Still, to maintain a veneer of respectability and apparent transparency & accountability, they would do the minimum to satisfy the IM. Old Man always said if he had started it, it's defensible; and if need be, he'll even rise up from his ggrave to defend the system. That's why people like Sear are emboldened and are so audacious in claiming the high moral ground.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree bro. I also think there is a genuine fear that they might lose control of the country if they attempt to change PA. PA is present at every level of society, in every activity including sepak takraw to dragon boat that any change can be devastating.

I recall that in the past, to circumvent the IM, civil servants would join grassroots organisation and do party work - especially teachers.

I suspect that PA will not be able to withstand the death of the old man. The PM is clearly not interested in state craft as seen by his low profile in domestic matters. I doubt he has time for all this surreptious and clandestine activities in the first place.

Ever since the PAP party branches were captured by the Barisan and Chin Siong's faction, the Old Man created CCs to replace them, and for the sake of quickly increasing the numbers to play against the Barisan's, they became easy seeding grounds for anything that will grow the PAP brand. Old Man of course, always the touted 'visionary leader' with 'bold strategies' and a lawsmith to boot, ensured all the stops were pulled out to facilitate their growth. His ploy worked so well for nearly 5 decades that it has now kind of run on auto-pilot, even when the 'Communist threat' is over and pork barrel politics are rather rife. Still, to maintain a veneer of respectability and apparent transparency & accountability, they would do the minimum to satisfy the IM. Old Man always said if he had started it, it's defensible; and if need be, he'll even rise up from his ggrave to defend the system. That's why people like Sear are emboldened and are so audacious in claiming the high moral ground.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
...I suspect that PA will not be able to withstand the death of the old man. The PM is clearly not interested in state craft as seen by his low profile in domestic matters. I doubt he has time for all this surreptious and clandestine activities in the first place.

His son is a technocrat more than anything else. If at all, he probably would be a great armchair gentleman political philosopher, than a hard slogging, knucke-duster donned infighter. If he had his way, he'll probably be poring over some computer or math stuff in some academia tower. He accepted the political grind I believe rather grudgingly, the reluctant politician. How blindsided can the Old Man be about his son's capabilities. Guileless, he would be easy lunch during those 60s years. Not to say that the Old Man was an au naturiel on the fly to start with. From his own account, he rated himself a political juvenile after he saw what Chin Siong and gang were doing underground in the unions and chinese middle schools. Events were kind to him I guess, and people trusted him enough to let him hold the stick,and he could play the Front against the British and the Tengku again and again. You see he never stick his neck out first and even so never far enough on a limb to be chopped. However, given his powerful mind, he learnt fast, and being a lawyer,knew his way around the law to move on his detractors and made a killing - the way Adolf Hitler did!

You are right, if Old Man dies, and a predatory Opposition could seize the initiative, we could see the Pandora's box blown wide open. If it could do it without losing control to anarchy, it would be an achievement. But if I were the Opp, I would, before doing anything, assess the better option and possibility of capturing this powerbase,much like what the Barisan did to them.
The other powerbase will be the NTUC.

rainnix

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suspect that PA will not be able to withstand the death of the old man. The PM is clearly not interested in state craft as seen by his low profile in domestic matters. I doubt he has time for all this surreptious and clandestine activities in the first place.

I remembered some Taiwanese political talkshow years before, the guest are ridiculing Singapore for being a democratic country. They are saying that when old Harry and son had passed on, there won't be a PAP.

Well I agree with them, while having seen the history of Chairman Mao and the reaction of China after his death, I would think that our nation will be equally lost after the demise of LKY. That is when the country will turn into turmoil and could possibly die.

Also they said that Taiwan is not afraid of this since they have a democratic system, so at any point of time there will be a govt in charge supported by the people. So any chance of the country's survival after the nation's "top man" death is significant.

If only old fart had realized this, he would have started to develop a second party in order to helm the country; or liberalized Singapore with a democratic system. But since he had betrayed Singapore to the Japanese for his own glory in the 1940s, huge doubt will be cast upon.

Unfortunately he will be remembered along the ranks of Suharto, Hitler, Kim Jong Ii and other dictators (I think he wants that too).

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The newly apppointed cabinet secretary is also a mathematician. Looks like quantitative approach to life, decision making and outlook is in the mix.

His son is a technocrat more than anything else. If at all, he probably would be a great armchair gentleman political philosopher, than a hard slogging, knucke-duster donned infighter. If he had his way, he'll probably be poring over some computer or math stuff in some academia tower.

The current school of thought is that the PAP will split in two as one faction fights the other. The Lees will not be part of any and probably will leave the scene altogether.

You are right, if Old Man dies, and a predatory Opposition could seize the initiative, we could see the Pandora's box blown wide open. If it could do it without losing control to anarchy, it would be an achievement. But if I were the Opp, I would, before doing anything, assess the better option and possibility of capturing this powerbase,much like what the Barisan did to them.
The other powerbase will be the NTUC.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Am in agreement with you. After 50 years, he will be remembered for failing to establish a decent democratic model with a multiparty presence and a well bedded 2 party alternative to push and prod the country to greater heights.

He will be remembered for the use of fear, crippling of the fouth estate, control and bogeyman politics to deliver economic results and provide law and order. He will be remembered for deluding himself that meritocracy and not nepotism guided his view after the demise of the founding fathers.

A Mao, a Suharto, a Marcos but in this case with a success in the field of economics with the first 25 years of excellent infrastructural development followed by 25 years of policy failures, social unrest, resentment, disintegration of racial harmony and the move away from nationhood at the expense of cheap labour with a single minded focus of achieving high GDP - the holy grail of PAP politics.

Well I agree with them, while having seen the history of Chairman Mao and the reaction of China after his death, I would think that our nation will be equally lost after the demise of LKY. That is when the country will turn into turmoil and could possibly die.

If only old fart had realized this, he would have started to develop a second party in order to helm the country; or liberalized Singapore with a democratic system. But since he had betrayed Singapore to the Japanese for his own glory in the 1940s, huge doubt will be cast upon.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Am in agreement with you. After 50 years, he will be remembered for failing to establish a decent democratic model with a multiparty presence and a well bedded 2 party alternative to push and prod the country to greater heights.

If only old fart had realized this, he would have started to develop a second party in order to helm the country; or liberalized Singapore with a democratic system.

The reason is that his mindset is still trapped in the 60s, a siege mentality, and a paranoia. He has so believed his own self-righteousness, his own perfectionist obsession and his propaganda that only he could deliver Singapore to prosperity. His methods of media control, ISA, bullying, are already archaic and outmoded and irrelevant. No country except North Korea, Iran and certain African dictators practises them anymore. Even Malaysia which was faced with an Emergency has abolished the ISA. His rationalisations of Confucian values blah blah to cover his authoritarian style have worn thin, as people looked to S Korea, Thailand, Japan, Taiwan as comparisons in Asian psyche but absorbing democratic practices.

Basically, his governance mode is nothing but an obsessive and compulsive projection of his super-ego, nothing else. He gloats over this liberty and freedom to do anything he wants even up to today, without having to seek approval. The President is a mere constitutional annoyance, which he could circumvent if he has to.

That is why he will pass on as a mere petty bipartisan politician instead of a true elder statesman that he could have been. He overstayed his usefulness and will leave with a scorched earth.

Pity. Singapore will be only victim.

rainnix

Alfrescian
Loyal
Slight mistake made here:

"Also they said that Taiwan is not afraid of this since they have a democratic system, so at any point of time there will be a govt in charge supported by the people. So any chance of the country's survival after the nation's "top man" death is (IN)significant."

Thus the country is not dependent on a single person or entity. If more people realized that this old fart is dragging Singapore together with him to his grave, wondered whether will they still sing his praises?

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why blame LKY for the policies of LHL :confused:

LKY is not the Prime Minister of today.

In his day, the stand is to expose corruption.

Today, the stand is to give themselves lots of money for a lot of reasons.

LKY and GCT deserves to be up there amongst the great leaders - one a man of vision and the other a man of compassion. I vote for LKY and GCT every time and will do so again if ever such leaders emerge.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why blame LKY for the policies of LHL :confused:

LKY is not the Prime Minister of today.

In his day, the stand is to expose corruption.

Today, the stand is to give themselves lots of money for a lot of reasons.

LKY and GCT deserves to be up there amongst the great leaders - one a man of vision and the other a man of compassion. I vote for LKY and GCT every time and will do so again if ever such leaders emerge.

Where have you been all this while - under a rock? I hope you are just making a tongue in cheek comment. Every policy of today is a legacy of LKY.

jw5

Loyal
Some people really do not understand the meaning of conflict of interest, particularly when they themselves are involved.