• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

GPGT - i cook my own hokkien mee becoz jin dulan hawker raise price to $5 / $5.50 for small

TerrexLee

Alfrescian
Loyal
last time was $3.50 in 2015 i think, then to $4 or $4.50, now its $5. and only miserable 2 prawns n microscopic sliced pork n sotong.

some people even said now small plate $5.50.

n eat a few mouth will finish.

so i cooked this, cost about $5 to $6 for ingredients in all. can feed me n both parents 3 people eat de.

i cooked it original way. from boiling prawns stock , but didnt use pork bone because dont have. so play cheat add chicken powder stock into it.
then fry it with cooking oil that was previously used to fry pork ribs so at least got a bit of the porky lard taste, with garlic.

then add 'jiu cai, noodles (i bought those on offer at SS, one packet around $1 to $2 + ), tau geh (one packet $0.80), the prawns broth n prawns, and crabstick (coz no sotong). didnt add sliced pork belly, lazy to prepare. forgot prawns cost how much, i think its $0.20 to $0.30 each. crabstick is one packet $2.40, this time i used a bit only. so the rest can use to make salad or sandwich.

also added 2 eggs. but should have fried the eggs in oil initially, set aside n then add in last. coz after adding eggs n stirring the eggs also lost inside noodles already.

for seasoning its just fish sauce, salt, pepper. no soy sauce, oyster sauce. the broth already have some salt n chicken powder seasoning already.

then eat with sambal chili (leftover from zhichar dinner, and lime (coz no calamansi lime))

taste wise so so, noodles not as soft as outside one, maybe i didnt use enough broth or water n make it wet enough. or simmer longer.

parents say taste wise ok, pass. of course not strong wok-hei or charred taste. and dont have enough porky lard taste.
anyway i used thick bee hoon, coz prefer it over thin bee hoon.

1657641933774.png

1657641945963.png

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
last time was $3.50 in 2015 i think, then to $4 or $4.50, now its $5. and only miserable 2 prawns n microscopic sliced pork n sotong.

so i cooked this, cost about $5 to $6 for ingredients in all. can feed me n both parents 3 people eat de.

i cooked it original way. from boiling prawns stock , but didnt use pork bone because dont have. so play cheat add chicken powder stock into it.
then fry it with cooking oil that was previously used to fry pork ribs so at least got a bit of the porky lard taste, with garlic.

then add 'jiu cai, noodles (i bought those on offer at SS, one packet around $1 to $2 + ), tau geh (one packet $0.80), the prawns broth n prawns, and crabstick (coz no sotong). didnt add sliced pork belly, lazy to prepare. forgot prawns cost how much, i think its $0.20 to $0.30 each. crabstick is one packet $2.40, this time i used a bit only. so the rest can use to make salad or sandwich.

also added 2 eggs. but should have fried the eggs in oil initially, set aside n then add in last. coz after adding eggs n stirring the eggs also lost inside noodles already.

for seasoning its just fish sauce, salt, pepper. no soy sauce, oyster sauce. the broth already have some salt n chicken powder seasoning already.

then eat with sambal chili (leftover from zhichar dinner, and lime (coz no calamansi lime))

taste wise so so, noodles not as soft as outside one, maybe i didnt use enough broth or water n make it wet enough. or simmer longer.

parents say taste wise ok, pass. of course not strong wok-hei or charred taste. and dont have enough porky lard taste.

View attachment 152272

View attachment 152273
Looks good. I just watched this video. A famous hokkien mee store apparently. This is how they cooked this dish.

countryman

Alfrescian
Loyal
The best fried prawn mee I had was @Bedok corner hawker centre manned by an old couple. They have since retired 2yrs ago n the stall is taken over by a young guy who converted it to halal status to get more business (biggest crime in food terminology)...

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

View attachment 152272

View attachment 152273
Got ask sister Claire to review boh ? :laugh:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
fuckin mee is best fried dry first in wok hei with chor bee hoon, not vermicelli. then after caramelization of noodles, add gravy. the difference in technique and sequence is like heaven and hell or orgasm and flaccidness.

nirvarq

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Yuan Hokkien Fried Prawn Mee is a popular stall selling fried hokkien mee. This plate of fried hokkien mee comes with prawns, sotong slices and pork belly slices wok fried in a mixture of yellow noodles and thick mee hoon with bean sprouts, spring onions and egg. A flavourful broth is then added and simmered.

The fried hokkien mee is the moist type, coming from the added broth. The noodles and mee hoon mixture is springy and flavourful. It has a nice savoury taste and a faint smokey note of wok hei.

The pork belly is soft and meaty with some fatty parts. The sotong slices is soft as well, and the prawns is quite decent too. On the sides are: a piece of green lime and a dollop of limey savoury tasting chilli paste.

This plate of fried hokkien mee is tasty and flavourful. Definitely a nice one.

https://the.fat.guide/singapore/eat/yuan-hokkien-fried-prawn-mee/
20 Ghim Moh Road Market & Food Centre

*Long Queue. It's really nice. You can ask to add xtra one egg lagi steady pom pee pee...!

1657672030615.png

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
You must also factor in your koo lee kang...and time to shop for ingredients and prep too.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hokkien mee is one dish that tastes better when you 打包, because by the time you reached home the mee and bee-hoon would have absorbed all the 日月精华 from the prawn gravy....

Bacccarat

Alfrescian
Loyal
this one looks like the perfect mix, not too wet not too dry
the geylang 29 one is too expensive and too oily, eat too much go heaven faster

They are friendly and not arrogant.
Is delicious. The chilli is good too.

Worth the price increase as every types of food are increased.
Worst are cai png prices.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's one on the ground floor of Golden Mile hawker centre, but the quantity is small.

The gravy is thick with lard, a welcome relief since about 80% of the stalls on the ground floor sell halal food. :biggrin: