• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Gout

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
More Young S'porean Men Reportedly Getting Gout; Healthy Diet & Exercise Can Prevent It
mustsharenews.com

Most of us commonly perceive gout as a ‘rich person disease’ that affects those older than 50 years old.

The disease is caused by high levels of uric acid in the blood and is classified as a form of arthritis.

gout-singapore-younger-1.jpg

Source

However, doctors have observed a worrying trend lately. More young Singaporean men are reportedly getting gout, with some as early as in their teens.

More young Singaporean men getting gout

Though gout continues to mostly plague patients in their 30s to 60s, local doctors have seen the condition in more male teens as well as those in their 20s of late.
One doctor reportedly had a patient who started having attacks from the age of 9.
Doctors have apparently also seen an increase in the number of NSF who are unable to train as a result of gout-related pain.

Eat healthily and exercise regularly

Gout happens when there are high levels of uric acid in the blood. As uric acid builds up, crystals can form in joints or surrounding tissues, causing pain and inflammation.

gout-singapore-younger-2.jpg

Source

Uric acid is produced by the body when it breaks down purines, which can be found in the body as well as food that we consume.
Food that contains high levels of purine include:
  • Alcoholic drinks
  • Drinks containing fruit sugar or fructose
  • Organ meat
  • Red meat
  • Seafood
Apart from cutting down on high-purine foods, doctors also recommend exercising regularly to prevent falling prey to gout.
Here are the gout symptoms to look out for:
  • Extreme pain in 1 or more joints
  • Joint(s) feeling ‘hot’ and tender
  • Swelling around joint
  • Red and ‘shiny’ skin at affected joint
The condition is treatable with medications that lower uric acid levels in the blood.

Eating healthy and exercising regularly will keep gout away

Though gout affecting younger Singaporeans may sound grim, it is preventable by eating carefully and leading an active lifestyle.
Now that you know how to prevent gout, share this information with your friends and family so they know what to do too!

Featured image adapted from Medical News Today.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's a cure, but few Sinkies are disciplined enough to do it.

Fasting. Preferably 48-hour or 72-hour fasting.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is why I encourage everyone to cycle to work whenever it's practical.

I brisk walk 5 km every morning, rain or shine...rain I make use of the covered walkways to cover 5km. I does hand pedals & leg pedals, using those free exercise machines builtin estates these days. Recently, I played badminton for am hour...& of course..'bedminton' also to keep fit.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I brisk walk 5 km every morning, rain or shine...rain I make use of the covered walkways to cover 5km. I does hand pedals & leg pedals, using those free exercise machines builtin estates these days. Recently, I played badminton for am hour...& of course..'bedminton' also to keep fit.

I have a theory: girls who are good at badminton tend to be good at sex. This correlation is not true for other types of sports.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
More Young S'porean Men Reportedly Getting Gout; Healthy Diet & Exercise Can Prevent It
mustsharenews.com

Most of us commonly perceive gout as a ‘rich person disease’ that affects those older than 50 years old.

The disease is caused by high levels of uric acid in the blood and is classified as a form of arthritis.

gout-singapore-younger-1.jpg

Source

However, doctors have observed a worrying trend lately. More young Singaporean men are reportedly getting gout, with some as early as in their teens.

More young Singaporean men getting gout

Though gout continues to mostly plague patients in their 30s to 60s, local doctors have seen the condition in more male teens as well as those in their 20s of late.
One doctor reportedly had a patient who started having attacks from the age of 9.
Doctors have apparently also seen an increase in the number of NSF who are unable to train as a result of gout-related pain.

Eat healthily and exercise regularly

Gout happens when there are high levels of uric acid in the blood. As uric acid builds up, crystals can form in joints or surrounding tissues, causing pain and inflammation.

gout-singapore-younger-2.jpg

Source

Uric acid is produced by the body when it breaks down purines, which can be found in the body as well as food that we consume.
Food that contains high levels of purine include:
  • Alcoholic drinks
  • Drinks containing fruit sugar or fructose
  • Organ meat
  • Red meat
  • Seafood
Apart from cutting down on high-purine foods, doctors also recommend exercising regularly to prevent falling prey to gout.
Here are the gout symptoms to look out for:
  • Extreme pain in 1 or more joints
  • Joint(s) feeling ‘hot’ and tender
  • Swelling around joint
  • Red and ‘shiny’ skin at affected joint
The condition is treatable with medications that lower uric acid levels in the blood.

Eating healthy and exercising regularly will keep gout away

Though gout affecting younger Singaporeans may sound grim, it is preventable by eating carefully and leading an active lifestyle.
Now that you know how to prevent gout, share this information with your friends and family so they know what to do too!

Featured image adapted from Medical News Today.
Gout is a rich man disease. More men have gout naturally means sinkies have become more richer! For that we have to thank the PAP. :cool:

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Yes. We need to exercise. If need to cycle to keep fit, i rather do it at home. :thumbsup:

AhMeng, to burn 1000 calories, roughtly must cycle [normal speed] for how long? 1 hour enough?
i dont cycle. i either run or swim. About 2 hours continuous. And it depends on your pace. For swimming, easily 4km in 1hr 45mins should burn you more than 1000 calories.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Two hours! :confused:Gua pengsan......
Trust me, yoi wouldn't. You will feel energised once you clear your first 30 mins. It's a breeze thereon and you pick up real good pace. The first 30mins is always the worst as your body is not conditioned to the workout yet, whether running, treadmill or swimming. Once you pass that critical point, you will feel energised and can do a very long workout. Just focus and get that mental block off in that first 30mins.