• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Good Muslimah Wins Singapore's 2nd Olympic Gold Medal Thanks To Keling Coach! Guess Which Event!!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
nurshalini-sahnef-won-gold-at-the-2019-special-olympics.jpg

ABU DHABI: She may have crossed the finish line in last position but it was 15-year-old Nurshalini Sahnef who stood proudly atop the highest rung of the podium as Team Singapore claimed its first gold of the Special Olympics on Saturday (Mar 16).

Competing in the F2 division of the 200m sprint, Nurshalini clocked a personal best timing of 42.53 seconds, but initially finished in fifth out of as many competitors.

"Shalini started nicely but the athletes from other countries were even faster than her," said her coach Mdm Tamil Selvi. "When I saw the official result, it was stated three countries' athletes were disqualified because of the Maximum Effort Rule, and one other athlete due to a technical fault (false start)."

The Special Olympic World Games, held from Mar 14-21, is a meet for athletes with intellectual disabilities. At the Special Olympics, athletes are separated into different divisions based on factors such as their age, gender and ability.

To ensure a fair divisioning process, athletes are expected to put in maximum effort when competing in all trials and finals.

The Maximum Effort Rule ensures that there is no more than a particular percentage difference (usually 15 per cent) in performance between an athlete’s seeding time or score and their final performance.

If an athlete exceeds their seeding performance by more than the percentage set for that specific event, they will be subjected to disqualification.

"I am very very happy for winning a first gold medal for Singapore but I was confused about the whole situation as I had came in fifth," said Shalini. "It was very tense and very tiring because it's not easy to compete with others from different countries and because it's also my first World Summer Games."

Singapore’s athletics contingent consists of 10 athletes, who will be competing in six different events over the course of the Special Olympics.

Siti Nurhayati Ali Aksar Khan added to Singapore's overall tally later in the day with a bronze in the 200m F12 category.

"I am very happy to get bronze because I broke my own personal record and also proud that I competed with tough competitors," said the 16-year-old who clocked a personal best of 32.42 seconds.

"I am not able to express my feelings in words, you need to be here to feel the experience," added Mdm Selvi. "I am very proud of my athletes. They made Singapore proud."

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...-old-sprinter-wins-singapore-s-first-11351510

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The term "special" is being used to describe an event that is especially unimportant.

In the proper Olympics athletes cover twice the distance in that time.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
The term "special" is being used to describe an event that is especially unimportant.

In the proper Olympics athletes cover twice the distance in that time.
The word special is used wrongly for this event. Should just call a spade a spade n say disabled Olympics.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The word special is used wrongly for this event. Should just call a spade a spade n say disabled Olympics.

The correct term is "spastic".

In the good old days when Singapore was run in a pragmatic, common-sense manner children who were disabled were appropriately referred to as "spastics" and everyone understood the term.

However the PC brigade eventually overran Singapore too and the charity that helped these unfortunate individuals were forced to change their name.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/charity-drops-spastic-in-new-name

Huatable

Alfrescian
Loyal
The correct term is "spastic".

In the good old days when Singapore was run in a pragmatic, common-sense manner children who were disabled were appropriately referred to as "spastics" and everyone understood the term.

However the PC brigade eventually overran Singapore too and the charity that helped these unfortunate individuals were forced to change their name.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/charity-drops-spastic-in-new-name

Spastic. I was spastic once.