• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Goh Meng Seng : Why the administration of CPF cannot be trusted

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
*******************/mybb/Thread-Goh-Meng-Seng-Why-the-administration-of-CPF-cannot-be-trusted
Today 10:48 AM<!-- start: postbit_posturl -->
posted_0.gif
<!-- end: postbit_posturl -->
sgbuffett <!-- start: postbit_online --> <!-- end: postbit_online -->
Elite Member
<!-- start: postbit_avatar --> <!-- end: postbit_avatar -->
<!-- start: postbit_author_user --> Posts: 5,042 <!-- start: postbit_reputation -->
Reputation: 32 <!-- end: postbit_reputation --> <!-- end: postbit_author_user -->
wpid-2014-05-09-17-21-16_0.png

Can the CPF be trusted?

The answer is simply NO.

There are already quite a lot of articles written by bloggers, Facebook users and internet forummers on this CPF issue. We are beginning to converge to agree on a few fundamental points:

1) Nobody in his right mind would have put money into CPF for its promise of "guaranteed" return of a meager 2.5% to 4% when it could just change the rules on when and how much you could draw your own money anyhow they like without consulting us. If CPF is not compulsory, I don't think anyone with a right mind would want to RISK their money like that.

2) Government guarantee doesn't mean RISK FREE. Yes, please get this right. The only reason why government can give guarantee to CPF is because if everything fails, it can just print money to repay us. However, that will create hyper inflation that will practically devalue our CPF money altogether. So it is NEVER risk free even when it is guaranteed.

3) Returns to our CPF are really understated. We could have invested DIRECTLY into GIC or Temasek Holdings to earn higher returns, instead of going through the government which practically end up making use of our CPF as "National Reserves", invest in GIC and make profits out of these investment. In essence, we have been shortchanged in our CPF returns no matter how we look at it. GIC gave much higher annualized returns of 6.5% to 8.8% for their 20 year and 10 year span. Why are we paid only 2.5% and 4% only? This is in fact a very heavy implicit tax applied on our CPF money's potential returns. i.e. more than 50% implicit tax!

All in all, I find PAP government is just paying lip service when they tried to show "how concerned" they are with our ability of financing our retirement. If they really care about our retirement financing, they won't:

1) Increase the HDB prices so recklessly so much so that most of us will not have very much cash left in our CPF account for our retirement. In the end, they just give us a false option of "monetizing HDB for retirement"!

2) Increase our medical cost so much so that we need to put aside a hefty amount aside in Medisave.

3) Giving a flat LOW return on our CPF for decades under the guise of "risk free guarantee return" rhetoric which basically put the growth of our CPF very much at the lowest pace in the developed world, barely above inflation rate or sometimes, even LOWER than inflation rates.

4) When they finally realize that some people will be really short of funds for retirement, they came up with Life Annuity which is basically totally opposite of the CPF's self financing system! Life Annuity is in essence, similar to the "Social Security System" where retirement financing is basically share pooling of risks. Life Annuity is just pushing off risks and responsibility from PAP government's failed management of the CPF system, by shifting the inadequacy of retirement financing to some other "shorter life" Singaporeans. If you look at it from another perspective, it is shifting the risk to the descendants of those "shorter life" Singaporeans, depriving them their rightful inheritance.

Such glaring insincerity on PAP's part in taking care of our retirement financing really makes me think that PAP is only interested in milking our CPF as CHEAP funds for them to invest and earn profits/taxes. In places like Hong Kong, EPF contributors will invest DIRECTLY their retirement funds into different trust funds with indications of their various risk portfolios. They can choose to invest in different percentages of different risk portfolios. Although their system is not perfect but the fact is, the government cannot mess around with their retirement funds directly! But it seems that CPF has become a piggy bank that gives PAP very cheap funds to play around with!

My distrust of PAP government further enhanced when they started to play the game of Taichi. They started to claim GIC and Temasek Holdings don't manage our CPF funds, throw smoke bombs about GIC etc.

In GIC's website, it tries to throw smoke bomb and demonstrate IGNORANCE that it is managing our CPF money. GIC is basically trying to obfuscate the fact that it is managing our CPF money by saying:

Does GIC invest CPF monies?

The short answer is that GIC manages the Government’s reserves, but as to how the funds from CPF monies flow into reserves which could then be managed by either MAS, GIC or Temasek, this is not made explicit to us. What we do know from public sources: Singaporeans’ CPF funds are invested in bonds called Special Singapore Government Securities (SSGS) which are fully guaranteed by the Government. These are non-marketable floating rate bonds issued specifically to the CPF Board. These bonds earn for the CPF Board a coupon rate that is pegged to CPF interest rates that members receive. Under the Protection of Reserves Framework in the Singapore Constitution of the Republic of Singapore, the Singapore Government cannot spend any monies raised from Government borrowings. All the proceeds from the Government’s borrowing are therefore invested.

But on the other hand, Ministry of Finance made a reply to ST's enquiry by stating that our CPF money is basically put into GIC and it manages our CPF! Now trust can only be earned by being open, accountable, transparent and most importantly, forthright with simple answers to simple questions. But GIC is basically not telling the truth! And it is totally IMPOSSIBLE for GIC NOT to know the truth because it has BOTH the Prime Minister and Finance Minister on its Board of Directors! How could GIC ever claim IGNORANCE of such arrangement? You mean the Prime Minister and Finance Minister are totally in the dark of such things? That will really worry me! The Finance Minister runs the Ministry of Finance and technically speaking, he is the sole shareholder of GIC!

This is what is written in MOF website:

When government securities are issued, the proceeds are first deposited with MAS as government deposits. MAS converts these funds into foreign assets through the foreign exchange market. However, as a major portion of these assets are of a long-term nature, such as those that provide backing for long-term Government liabilities like SSGS, such assets are transferred to GIC to be managed over a long investment horizon.

Why would GIC want to hide such simple fact? There is only one conclusion I have after looking at the whole thing. PAP doesn't want us to make any direct comparisons to the meager CPF returns they are giving us (2.5% & 4%) with the very much higher annualized returns of 6.5% and 8.8% for 20 years and 10 years respectively!

So, you tell me, how can I place any trust on PAP to take good care of my CPF money? They have used all sorts of method to hide the fact that our CPF money could well get much higher returns than what they are offering!

Why can't we invest our CPF money DIRECTLY into GIC or Temasek Holdings by choosing the risk portfolio according to what we desire? They have even claimed that Temasek Holdings have an impressive 16% annualized return, for goodness sake!

I have totally lost trust in PAP government in the way they manipulated us and our CPF money. High HDB prices basically transferred our CPF money through HDB to SLA so that it is kept away in the already bloated National Reserves (my conservative estimate is over S$1 Trillion).

And they are not interested to help us grow our retirement fund but only interested to make us left with little for our next generation to inherit. i.e.they have coined the idea of "monetizing HDB for retirement" and Compulsory Life Annuity! They are only interested to drag on the withdrawal time and amount of your CPF money and they could continue to enjoy the cheap funds they can take from your CPF! Never mind if you are dead sick when you reach 55 years old or if your health can't last much longer after that.

Can I trust PAP government with my CPF money? You bet, NO!

Goh Meng Seng

*The author is the former Secretary-General of the NSP.

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can the CPF be trusted?

The answer is simply NO.

There are already quite a lot of articles written by bloggers, Facebook users and internet forummers on this CPF issue. We are beginning to converge to agree on a few fundamental points:

1) Nobody in his right mind would have put money into CPF for its promise of "guaranteed" return of a meager 2.5% to 4% when it could just change the rules on when and how much you could draw your own money anyhow they like without consulting us. If CPF is not compulsory, I don't think anyone with a right mind would want to RISK their money like that.

2) Government guarantee doesn't mean RISK FREE. Yes, please get this right. The only reason why government can give guarantee to CPF is because if everything fails, it can just print money to repay us. However, that will create hyper inflation that will practically devalue our CPF money altogether. So it is NEVER risk free even when it is guaranteed.

3) Returns to our CPF are really understated. We could have invested DIRECTLY into GIC or Temasek Holdings to earn higher returns, instead of going through the government which practically end up making use of our CPF as "National Reserves", invest in GIC and make profits out of these investment. In essence, we have been shortchanged in our CPF returns no matter how we look at it. GIC gave much higher annualized returns of 6.5% to 8.8% for their 20 year and 10 year span. Why are we paid only 2.5% and 4% only? This is in fact a very heavy implicit tax applied on our CPF money's potential returns. i.e. more than 50% implicit tax!

All in all, I find PAP government is just paying lip service when they tried to show "how concerned" they are with our ability of financing our retirement. If they really care about our retirement financing, they won't:

1) Increase the HDB prices so recklessly so much so that most of us will not have very much cash left in our CPF account for our retirement. In the end, they just give us a false option of "monetizing HDB for retirement"!

2) Increase our medical cost so much so that we need to put aside a hefty amount aside in Medisave.

3) Giving a flat LOW return on our CPF for decades under the guise of "risk free guarantee return" rhetoric which basically put the growth of our CPF very much at the lowest pace in the developed world, barely above inflation rate or sometimes, even LOWER than inflation rates.

4) When they finally realize that some people will be really short of funds for retirement, they came up with Life Annuity which is basically totally opposite of the CPF's self financing system! Life Annuity is in essence, similar to the "Social Security System" where retirement financing is basically share pooling of risks. Life Annuity is just pushing off risks and responsibility from PAP government's failed management of the CPF system, by shifting the inadequacy of retirement financing to some other "shorter life" Singaporeans. If you look at it from another perspective, it is shifting the risk to the descendants of those "shorter life" Singaporeans, depriving them their rightful inheritance.

Such glaring insincerity on PAP's part in taking care of our retirement financing really makes me think that PAP is only interested in milking our CPF as CHEAP funds for them to invest and earn profits/taxes. In places like Hong Kong, EPF contributors will invest DIRECTLY their retirement funds into different trust funds with indications of their various risk portfolios. They can choose to invest in different percentages of different risk portfolios. Although their system is not perfect but the fact is, the government cannot mess around with their retirement funds directly! But it seems that CPF has become a piggy bank that gives PAP very cheap funds to play around with!

My distrust of PAP government further enhanced when they started to play the game of Taichi. They started to claim GIC and Temasek Holdings don't manage our CPF funds, throw smoke bombs about GIC etc.

In GIC's website, it tries to throw smoke bomb and demonstrate IGNORANCE that it is managing our CPF money. GIC is basically trying to obfuscate the fact that it is managing our CPF money by saying:

Does GIC invest CPF monies?

The short answer is that GIC manages the Government’s reserves, but as to how the funds from CPF monies flow into reserves which could then be managed by either MAS, GIC or Temasek, this is not made explicit to us. What we do know from public sources: Singaporeans’ CPF funds are invested in bonds called Special Singapore Government Securities (SSGS) which are fully guaranteed by the Government. These are non-marketable floating rate bonds issued specifically to the CPF Board. These bonds earn for the CPF Board a coupon rate that is pegged to CPF interest rates that members receive. Under the Protection of Reserves Framework in the Singapore Constitution of the Republic of Singapore, the Singapore Government cannot spend any monies raised from Government borrowings. All the proceeds from the Government’s borrowing are therefore invested.

But on the other hand, Ministry of Finance made a reply to ST's enquiry by stating that our CPF money is basically put into GIC and it manages our CPF! Now trust can only be earned by being open, accountable, transparent and most importantly, forthright with simple answers to simple questions. But GIC is basically not telling the truth! And it is totally IMPOSSIBLE for GIC NOT to know the truth because it has BOTH the Prime Minister and Finance Minister on its Board of Directors! How could GIC ever claim IGNORANCE of such arrangement? You mean the Prime Minister and Finance Minister are totally in the dark of such things? That will really worry me! The Finance Minister runs the Ministry of Finance and technically speaking, he is the sole shareholder of GIC!

This is what is written in MOF website:

When government securities are issued, the proceeds are first deposited with MAS as government deposits. MAS converts these funds into foreign assets through the foreign exchange market. However, as a major portion of these assets are of a long-term nature, such as those that provide backing for long-term Government liabilities like SSGS, such assets are transferred to GIC to be managed over a long investment horizon.

Why would GIC want to hide such simple fact? There is only one conclusion I have after looking at the whole thing. PAP doesn't want us to make any direct comparisons to the meager CPF returns they are giving us (2.5% & 4%) with the very much higher annualized returns of 6.5% and 8.8% for 20 years and 10 years respectively!

So, you tell me, how can I place any trust on PAP to take good care of my CPF money? They have used all sorts of method to hide the fact that our CPF money could well get much higher returns than what they are offering!

Why can't we invest our CPF money DIRECTLY into GIC or Temasek Holdings by choosing the risk portfolio according to what we desire? They have even claimed that Temasek Holdings have an impressive 16% annualized return, for goodness sake!

I have totally lost trust in PAP government in the way they manipulated us and our CPF money. High HDB prices basically transferred our CPF money through HDB to SLA so that it is kept away in the already bloated National Reserves (my conservative estimate is over S$1 Trillion).

And they are not interested to help us grow our retirement fund but only interested to make us left with little for our next generation to inherit. i.e.they have coined the idea of "monetizing HDB for retirement" and Compulsory Life Annuity! They are only interested to drag on the withdrawal time and amount of your CPF money and they could continue to enjoy the cheap funds they can take from your CPF! Never mind if you are dead sick when you reach 55 years old or if your health can't last much longer after that.

Can I trust PAP government with my CPF money? You bet, NO!

Goh Meng Seng

*The author is the former Secretary-General of the NSP.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Basically it has come to the stage where you cannot afford to be the type where you first praise the PAP for 50 years of good work, and then say ... oh but this is something we can improve because it is creating a lot of angst.

The time and place for that kind of recursive self-ingratiation is over.

You hit hard and squarely on the issue, and don't let anyone distract you.

(i) The CPF is not risk free because the govt can and does change the rules frequently and arbitrarily.

(ii) CPF life and other "confiscation" schemes being compulsory is like forcing you to enter a contract in which the terms can be changed unilaterally by one party anytime. Such things simply don't exist in the business and legal world. Why should such circumstances exist in the national pension scheme?

(iii) CPF returns are LOW.

(iv) GIC and Temasek lack transparency and accountability,.

(v) After using CPF as source of cheap funds, pray tell us how your returns have been used to benefit society, build infrastructure, alleviate poverty, help Singaporeans secure better jobs, and so on. Tell us how the nation has benefitted from the use of CPF cheap funds.

(vi) Explain to the world why there is no stringent guidelines regarding conflicts of interests in the CPF-MAS-GIC-Temasek-Govt Surplus quintuple nexus, without resorting to threats of legal action.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Notice how the entire academia have remain silent on this? When Ng Eng Hen and the Govt whacked the 2 lecturers for their research papers supervised by old man's son's father in law, the writing was was on the wall - no one will be spared, related or not. CPF was a regular topic of much discussion and debate especially amongst the thespians of the economic department. Papers published and conferences held. Not anymore. That topic and anything to do with Govt statistics is only second only to pedophilia

Basically it has come to the stage where you cannot afford to be the type where you first praise the PAP for 50 years of good work, and then say ... oh but this is something we can improve because it is creating a lot of angst.

The time and place for that kind of recursive self-ingratiation is over.

You hit hard and squarely on the issue, and don't let anyone distract you.

(i) The CPF is not risk free because the govt can and does change the rules frequently and arbitrarily.

(ii) CPF life and other "confiscation" schemes being compulsory is like forcing you to enter a contract in which the terms can be changed unilaterally by one party anytime. Such things simply don't exist in the business and legal world. Why should such circumstances exist in the national pension scheme?

(iii) CPF returns are LOW.

(iv) GIC and Temasek lack transparency and accountability,.

(v) After using CPF as source of cheap funds, pray tell us how your returns have been used to benefit society, build infrastructure, alleviate poverty, help Singaporeans secure better jobs, and so on. Tell us how the nation has benefitted from the use of CPF cheap funds.

(vi) Explain to the world why there is no stringent guidelines regarding conflicts of interests in the CPF-MAS-GIC-Temasek-Govt Surplus quintuple nexus, without resorting to threats of legal action.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Notice how the entire academia have remain silent on this? When Ng Eng Hen and the Govt whacked the 2 lecturers for their research papers supervised by old man's son's father in law, the writing was was on the wall - no one will be spared, related or not. CPF was a regular topic of much discussion and debate especially amongst the thespians of the economic department. Papers published and conferences held. Not anymore. That topic and anything to do with Govt statistics is only second only to pedophilia

They are probably in a state of confusion and do not know what to say because of lack of direction provided from the top hierarchy. So best to remain quiet until the dust settles or until instructions are forthcoming.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
They are probably in a state of confusion and do not know what to say because of lack of direction provided from the top hierarchy. So best to remain quiet until the dust settles or until instructions are forthcoming.

isn't that how Sinkies function? always wait for instructions. think it starts with the education system :p:p:p

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What I don't appreciate is that CPF keeps changing its various rules without informing anyone and you become surprised by the various twists and turns when you visit the website and such changes never reflect when they're changed. Then what you gather from a trip to CPF Board last month can be invalid without you knowing about it, because CPF is adopting a 'change first, tell you later'.

I don't know what CPF is trying to do? One moment this, and then the next moment, its rules change again and the goal-posts keep moving. How to trust, you tell me? Dun blame the people, you screwed up big time and so many people suffered, and yet Tan C J says it is a good scheme and it's your money. If so good, why people complain? Use your brain can or not? Dun insult our intelligence, unless you dun have the grey matter to comprehend the enormity of this Frankenstein monster that is created.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What I don't appreciate is that CPF keeps changing its various rules without informing anyone and you become surprised by the various twists and turns when you visit the website and such changes never reflect when they're changed. Then what you gather from a trip to CPF Board last month can be invalid without you knowing about it, because CPF is adopting a 'change first, tell you later'.

I don't know what CPF is trying to do? One moment this, and then the next moment, its rules change again and the goal-posts keep moving. How to trust, you tell me? Dun blame the people, you screwed up big time and so many people suffered, and yet Tan C J says it is a good scheme and it's your money. If so good, why people complain? Use your brain can or not? Dun insult our intelligence, unless you dun have the grey matter to comprehend the enormity of this Frankenstein monster that is created.

Whatever reasons given for shifting goalposts, isnt it amazing that the architects of the CPF scheme failed to see in the beginning? It's not rocket science btw.

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
if you only need to know one thing, its that they are fucked up investors. Their epic losses have been the butt of many economists. would anyone even invest in cpf as a bond if they had a choice?

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whatever reasons given for shifting goalposts, isnt it amazing that the architects of the CPF scheme failed to see in the beginning? It's not rocket science btw.

Once your money is in CPF, the major portion is converted to virtual currency like bitcoins. So you can buy property from the government, medical care , insurance, annuities etc etc. Nice for the informal consortium of banks, developers, GLCs, Labour Front businesses and so on. But get it back in your hot little hand ? You're kidding.

Singaporeans do not understand what the dumbest American and Brit knows. Be suspicious of governments. Give anyone absolute power and you are screwed.

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Does Goh Meng Seng want to be sued?

why speaking up = to be sued???

You mean you will give in to such low life sinkie tactics?

Look at Roy, he is there to challenge the PM and there will be more and more people doing that in the very very near future..

only low life shit ass loser like you will " you want to be sue?". fucked up sinkie.

10246280_658136927568463_1556544343935503600_n.jpg