• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Goh Meng Seng attacks Yaw Shin Leong on his blog

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
[h=3]http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2012/01/crisis-management-lessons-for.html

Crisis Management Lessons For Politicians[/h]

Right from last December till now, we have witnessed how badly our government and SMRT have managed the various "crisis". In Singapore, we do not have the culture of demanding and providing timely information of all sorts. The importance of timely information is basically ignored. In general, we are not trained in managing crisis.

A domesticated news industry has lost its natural journalistic instinct in looking out for vital information and asking important questions of public interests. Investigative reporting is either discouraged or basically disallowed. Whistle blowers are quickly dealt with internally. The political culture in Singapore is more of "covering up" or providing the least information possible to the public for fear of whatever reasons. However, the New Media has changed the rule of the game.

When certain "undesirable" information is being "leaked" or reported on New Media, blogs or internet based social political websites, the authorities seem to be at a lost on how to deal with such Public Relationship problems.

Politicians from both the opposition as well as ruling parties lack the necessary Public Relationship skills to deal with all sorts of big and small crisis. Most of the time, they would hope that by remaining silent, the problems will just go away. In this internet era, this is not possible. It is an outdated PR method (ostrich mentality) which could only apply with total monopoly of information flow.

The most common quote you can hear from officials is "We do not comment on rumors". While this may apply fairly well on certain issues but it may look bad on the person in question when the rumors are basically detrimental to his or her integrity or reputation. The most common rumor circulated on internet forums is about prominent politicians having extra-marital affairs.

I have been observing Taiwan and Hong Kong politics for quite some time. I will quote a couple of interesting examples of how politicians deal with Public Relationship crisis.

In the run up to the Hong Kong Chief Executive elections, BOTH potential candidates Henry Tang Ying Yen (唐英年, commonly known as Henry Tang) and Leung Chun Ying (梁振英,commonly known as CY Leung) were rumored to have extra-marital affairs. These rumors were spreading like wild fire on the internet but no one has shown conclusive evidence just yet.

CY Leung responded to such rumor immediately to dismiss it as a lie. He even added that it would not be FAIR to the women mentioned in the rumor if he did not come up to deny it outright. He has portrayed himself as someone who is not only protecting his integrity but also protecting the reputation of the women being maligned.

For a politician to respond in such a way, he must be 100% sure that this rumor is false or at least, he must be damn sure that no one could produce any conclusive evidence of such affairs. Most likely, he did not do it and it turns public perception to his advantage. Such rumor will be viewed as malicious attempt out to discredit him.

For Henry Tang, he did the opposite. He walked up to the press, holding his wife's hand tightly and made a simple statement of admission. He didn't answer to any questions raise during the press conference but just read out his statement. He said he is sorry that his personal indiscretion has caused much trouble to many people, especially the woman involved. He refused to confirm the identity of the woman, so to protect her from further unnecessary harassment. He reiterated that the affair was in the past and his wife has forgiven him. They have moved on from that past episode. This will be his first as well as the last response he would make with regards to the extra-marital affairs.

Some may wonder why Henry Tang should offer apology and admission even though no solid evidence has been offered by anyone on the internet. When a rumor is created, there will be some people who will defend the accused politician while there will be people who will use the opportunity to bring him down.

If the politician chose not to respond or deny but eventually someone come up with some conclusive evidence, the tide will totally be turned against the politician. His supporters will feel cheated and he will lose all his support base. This is the greatest nightmare to a politician. He will lose every support, even sympathizers if he ever lied or remained silent. He will be forever labelled as a cheat, a liar and irresponsible person who does not dare to bear the brunt of his own wrong doing.

The alternative option for the politician is to admit it openly and seek forgiveness. In the process, demonstrates that he would be responsible for whatever mistakes he has made in his life while trying to protect the women involved. He will most probably retain his support base and gain more sympathizers.

Furthermore, by making a short and swift response to this rumor, it will end the media disaster. Even if there are any compromising evidence leaked in future, it will have little or no value. The media will hype about it for the admission but it will die off eventually. This is evident in Henry Tang's case. The campaign didn't get derailed into reports on slanderous affairs but rather focus on his policy options he has to offer.

It is with such considerations and advice given by his PR manager that Henry Tang finally stood up and admit. He has successfully neutralized the great amount of bad press generated by this rumor hanging like a sword above his head.

Some may argue that such extra-marital affairs are private matters and it has nothing to do with the capabilities of the politician. However, such argument may be debunked quickly because politicians hold great powers in certain aspects in managing public assets and resources. If he could cheat his own spouse, he could cheat anyone, least to say, the public. Thus, the important thing is to minimize the perception of such cheating. If a politician choose to "try his luck" and bet on others not having concrete evidence, then he will reinforce the perception of being a dishonest man if any such concrete evidence surface.

Thus, in retrospective, Henry Tang has successfully removed or minimized the impression of being a cheat or dishonest by admitting outright, apologized and gained forgiveness from his wife. He also build up his image as a person who will take up responsibility of any wrong doing. He has successfully minimize the damage of his extra-marital affairs done to his campaign. Nobody seems to think that his extra-marital affairs would matter anymore in his bid for the Chief Executive post after his open admission.

I hope the two case studies I have provided here would enlighten some in crisis management. On the PR perspective, it is not what trouble you get into that matters most. It is about the loss of confidence of your supporters that matters most and it will be determined by how you manage your own crisis.

Of course, I would want to reiterate my personal maxim, 因果不存侥幸: Never try your luck with Karma. The best way to avoid trouble is not to plant the seed at all.

Goh Meng Seng

Last edited:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
You should change your nick from Thick Face Black Heart to Thin Face Weak Heart!

Not a single name mentioned and you are so defensive about it? You got to grow thicker hides!

Goh Meng Seng

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Good objective article about managing public opinions for public figures, nothing malicious.

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
You should change your nick from Thick Face Black Heart to Thin Face Weak Heart!

Not a single name mentioned and you are so defensive about it? You got to grow thicker hides!

Goh Meng Seng

you know you are right.... WP manage to turn a small kopitiam gossip into a major PR disaster.... and now doubt are being cast on the honesty and integrity of the whole party.

WP have now have lost all credibility and goodwill..... Low ish a real cock

I was already urging them to come up and clarify on the 22 Jan....

Singapore is really not ready for 2 party system.

Thick Face Black Heart ish really politically naive so those incl. votepapout, PMPunk, GoldenDragon, moolightaffairs and even scroobal..

these lao ah peks straight away dismissed it as false.... bunch of cock ... they will be raped by any1 who claim to be anti PAP

There's no evidence to any such thing as to what you call knocking up.

ah Ram probably already know then .... but under party gag order

Last edited:

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
you know you are right.... WP manage to turn a come small kopitiam gossip into a major PR disaster.... and now doubt are being cast on the honesty and integrity of the whole party.

WP have now have lost all credibility and goodwill..... Low ish a real cock

I was already urging them to come up and clarify on the 22 ....

Singapore is really not ready for 2 party system.

Thick Face Black Heart ish really politically naive so those incl votepapout, PMPunk, GoldenDragon, moolightaffairs and even scroobal..

these lao ah peks straight away dismissed it as false....

ah Ram probably already know then .... but under party gag order

Commonsense lost to self denial for those lao ah pek. YSL runroad liao. LTK dont know what to say. Ah Ram no comment except say no evidence. This is fucking corrupt police style. Hide evidence to cover friend. Then go talk cock other topics. I think most likely Ah Ram got a leg in it too LOL

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Goh Meng Seng

The discussion has nothing to do with me. I am not personally hurt by any of this. There is a reason why I titled this thread the way i did. If that reason escapes you, so be it.

If YSL goes south because of this, well, it will be a good lesson learnt for everyone who wants to enter politics. You think I am being defensive over YSL? Think again. I am not called "Black Heart" for nothing. As Ramseth has said, when his Viet GF kills a dog, she will first sayang him.

Last edited:

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
Commonsense lost to self denial for those lao ah pek. YSL runroad liao. LTK dont know what to say. Ah Ram no comment except say no evidence. This is fucking corrupt police style. Hide evidence to cover friend. Then go talk cock other topics. I think most likely Ah Ram got a leg in it too LOL

Ah Ram better make clear whether Glenda ish the other woman.... and dun give cock answer like no evidence...

The woman involved in the alleged affair spoke to The New Paper on condition of anonymity, saying, "I will neither confirm nor deny the allegations."

The woman, married and without children, added, "I hope you will not identify me or the other woman involved."

All these lao ah pek think they can predict the weather and know everything from their kopitiam chit chat.....

I know something is wrong the moment he block his FB.... these ah Peks are totally out of touch with social media.... just like WP..

lin peh lost like 10 over pts from zapping by these imbeciles......

If YSL goes south because of this, well, it will be a good lesson learnt for everyone who wants to enter politics. You think I am being defensive over YSL?
By saying "no comment", YSL is in fact sabotaging the female member involved, IF the allegation IS indeed true, which, I must point out, no one has proven or provided any evidence YET. In that sense, YSL is not a gentleman, IF the allegations are true.

now he still say he ish not defensive... read below .... this cock fucking jump to WP defence when he know nothing... and now this guy is parroting my stance that "WP is not doin itself any favour by keeping quiet... "

and is still trying to save some face by the conditional statememt "if the allegations are true"

Fuck you lah, your PAP IB tail is showing. It only took one fucking lame story to get your PAP DOGGIE tail wagging!

I will continue voting for all parties mentioned in whatever story no matter what. Only you will spend time posting people pic and making their lives miserable.

How about you post your pic instead?

Coward
all the ah peks like scoobal and GD who know heaven and earth all diam diam now because they cant believe they been decived by a bui bui cockster.....

I may have defended WP, espousing 2-party system and whacking GMS in the past.....
but now WP have gone to shit, it is time to whack them to wake them up.... in GMS words

all the ah peks please dun be a hypocrite like ah Yaw

Last edited:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Alamak, brocoli, why you reply so fast. Can you let me clarify before you shoot?

Firstly, I would like to retract my stand that YSL is sabotaging anyone by saying "no comment". It was too hasty of me to conclude that.

You must understand, IF the allegations are true, YSL must give A.F. enough time to pacify her husband and sort it out first.

If he come out to admit openly now, won't YSL be sabotaging A.F. by forcing her to face to media BEFORE she has enough time to sort out her own marriage?

YSL is basically protecting A.F., IF the allegations are true. You can't blame him for his "no comment". He has no choice in this.

Again, IF the allegations are true -- and NO ONe has yet produce evidence.

waterloong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why use Hong Kong media as an example? If Singapore's media has 25% of Hong Kong media's audacity, I believe Yaw already resign by now and Goh Meng Seng will quit politics for his disloyalty in political parties.

The Hong Kong media will make mincemeat out of the names mentioned here.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Thick Face Black Heart, if your spouse slept with another person, could you be "pacified"? Worse, if she gets pregnant, will you be pacified? The odds is 1-9. Most likely, the marriage will be finished.

It is true, nobody has shown any concrete evidence about the relationship but by reading the comments made by the parties involved, you can come to your own conclusion. 9-1, most likely people would come to the same conclusion. What is the truth doesn't really matter after that because perception has been formed.

Yes, there might still be die hard supporters who still believe in him or even apologists who will try to say private matters don't really affect, but the truth is, victory depends on a lot more voters out there. Especially those middle ground independent swing voters. It is a glaring show of inexperience in dealing with such PR disaster.

Goh Meng Seng

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thick Face Black Heart, if your spouse slept with another person, could you be "pacified"? Worse, if she gets pregnant, will you be pacified? The odds is 1-9. Most likely, the marriage will be finished.

It is true, nobody has shown any concrete evidence about the relationship but by reading the comments made by the parties involved, you can come to your own conclusion. 9-1, most likely people would come to the same conclusion. What is the truth doesn't really matter after that because perception has been formed.

Yes, there might still be die hard supporters who still believe in him or even apologists who will try to say private matters don't really affect, but the truth is, victory depends on a lot more voters out there. Especially those middle ground independent swing voters. It is a glaring show of inexperience in dealing with such PR disaster.

Goh Meng Seng

what happen to the 1st thread when I ask you about it and you say you dunno

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
I still dunno.

Goh Meng Seng

I would say the allegations are unlikely to be true. His wife has come forward to defend him. Singapore is not HK or Taiwan. The more you say here, the more the msm will twist it. If he denies it, they will spin the story to make it like he is telling a lie. The best way to kill this is to starve it of any material. The perception will then be that this is an Anwar style smear by the PAP to destroy WP. Good timing too considering what will be happening in Malaysia. So cool that so many PAP supporters are clueless as to what is going to hit them.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its a silly article by you that is predicated on flimsy arguments.

You are just adding fuel to fire. Both you and TRE should have the balls to comment on Foo Mee Har and Shanmguam. Steven Tan is a whole different case as it it did not involve consenting adult but allegations of molest and sexual miscounduct. I have no idea if YSL had sex with Angela, you or the kopitiam auntie but every case has to be handled differently. There is no cookie cutter for this sprt of situation. There are other parties involved and their partners. If you are the type dumb enough to confirm or deny every stupid and silly allegations, people will out throw out a series of allegations and you then sit down and deny and confirm and there will come in time when you would have painted yourself in a corner.

Politcians will admit only when it is tactily advantaegous and politically expedient to do so. It also depends on the type of electorate that you are in. In the Philippines and Taiwan, having an affair is a tick in the box and you then a few years and seek sympathy votes. In the UK, OZ, and NZ, nobody gives a fuck if you have an affair with your dog. In the US, the bible belt has an impact.

In Singapore, there has been a long standing general agreement and understanding among PAP and all opposition that affairs is not discussed. You are the first political candidates and identity that brought it out in the open. What were you thinking ?

I am not standing for elections and my mission is to dispel the pure white image of the PAP. If their image is not false and misleading, I can't be bothered if Shanmugam, Foo Mee Har and you have a threesome. There is also a difference between having an affair and you using sex to advance your career.

I am also disappointed that you have joined forces with TRE, your life long nemesis on this. Common sense and some level of deductive sense would have told you that Joe Ong is has this thing about women and their place in politics. This guy gets off on affairs and from th very start it has been the case. I doubt he can be bothered about Maliki or Ong Ah Huat. Instead it was Lim Bee Wah, Swee Bee, Nicole, Glenda etc. What do you think his new nick in this forum is ?

You should change your nick from Thick Face Black Heart to Thin Face Weak Heart! Not a single name mentioned and you are so defensive about it? You got to grow thicker hides! Goh Meng Seng

Last edited:

HorGauGan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Someone is now a political observer cum political activists. Mai siao siao. A few notches higher than politicians. :biggrin: goh meng seng not famous enough. Go Hong Kong won't be tailed by 狗仔队. must hav hurt his fragile ego :wink:

Why use Hong Kong media as an example? If Singapore's media has 25% of Hong Kong media's audacity, I believe Yaw already resign by now and Goh Meng Seng will quit politics for his disloyalty in political parties.

The Hong Kong media will make mincemeat out of the names mentioned here.

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal
From a swing voter's perspective, Mr Yxx blew it this time and I'm a man! :wink:

For gawd's sake, we are talking about a press ranked 135th on the freedom index. Mr Yxx should have known better. :rolleyes:

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would say the allegations are unlikely to be true. His wife has come forward to defend him. Singapore is not HK or Taiwan. The more you say here, the more the msm will twist it. If he denies it, they will spin the story to make it like he is telling a lie. The best way to kill this is to starve it of any material. The perception will then be that this is an Anwar style smear by the PAP to destroy WP. Good timing too considering what will be happening in Malaysia. So cool that so many PAP supporters are clueless as to what is going to hit them.

So cool that so many lao ah pek WP supporters are clueless as to what is going to hit them... this is yet another blind supporter who ish blinded by his political affiliation and see the hard truth in front of him ....

TFBH is already trying to get round to accepting but still keep adding a condition "IF the allegations are true", I wan to ask him "IF the allegations are FALSE" why are they doing what they are doin .... why ish yaw hiding like fugitive??? is that how an MP should behave ???

you talk as if angela is some auntie in the Market like Jaslyn Go, she was running as a candidate for Parliament, she is a public figure, who have represent WP in forum and interviewed with foreign press...

I am so glad for Nee Soon people, can you imagine if she was an MP now, this news would have spread all over the world by AP, CNN and so on and so for

"The best way to kill this is to starve it of any material" you are justin feeding it... even when the news die down, people will have lingering doubt especially the independent swing voters, they are the 1 who decide the election... not people like you who would vote for a Monkey....

Its a silly article by you that is predicated on flimsy arguments.

You are just adding fuel to fire. Both you and TRE should have the balls to comment on Foo Mee Har and Shanmguam. Steven Tan is a whole different case as it it did not involve consenting adult but allegations of molest and sexual miscounduct. I have no idea if YSL had sex with Angela, you or the kopitiam auntie but every case has to be handled differently. There is no cookie cutter for this sprt of situation. There are other parties involved and their partners. If you are the type dumb enough to confirm or deny every stupid and silly allegations, people will out throw out a series of allegations and you then sit down and deny and confirm and there will come in time when you would have painted yourself in a corner.

Politcians will admit only when it is tactily advantaegous and politically expedient to do so. It also depends on the type of electorate that you are in. In the Philippines and Taiwan, having an affair is a tick in the box and you then a few years and seek sympathy votes. In the UK, OZ, and NZ, nobody gives a fuck if you have an affair with your dog. In the US, the bible belt has an impact.

In Singapore, there has been a long standing general agreement and understanding among PAP and all opposition that affairs is not discussed. You are the first political candidates and identity that brought it out in the open. What were you thinking ?

I am not standing for elections and my mission is to dispel the pure white image of the PAP. If their image is not false and misleading, I can't be bothered if Shanmugam, Foo Mee Har and you have a threesome. There is also a difference between having an affair and you using sex to advance your career.

I am also disappointed that you have joined forces with TRE, your life long nemesis on this. Common sense and some level of deductive sense would have told you that Joe Ong is has this thing about women and their place in politics. This guy gets off on affairs and from th very start it has been the case. I doubt he can be bothered about Maliki or Ong Ah Huat. Instead it was Lim Bee Wah, Swee Bee, Nicole, Glenda etc. What do you think his new nick in this forum is ?

this is yet another flimsy arguement by the wise all knowing scroobal...

just because some1 is deliberately looking for the dirt and have thrown it, doesnt mean that there was no dirt or the dirt is false.... if anything WP should have been more careful and not get caught....

this is just like lame anwar excuse .... he know some1 set a honeytrap for him yet he basically walk right in for the honey because he know his supporters will always believe him and he can throw the trap right back at UNMO... does that mean anwar didnt eat the honey???

ah yaw is a more dumb. he doesnt have the skill to lie through his teeth because this wasnt a honey trap.... he was just basically caught tao jiak outside..... and he havent the guts to lie or apologise...

and scoobal you talk as if you have the same circulation as TRE, TNP, wanbao and xinmin... no1 outside of this forum give a fuck bout this faceless keyboard warrior.....

like TRE, you have very little credibility and no1 need to give you any credibility by confirming or denying every stupid and silly allegations from your mouth..... that doesnt mean that what you and TRE said are false.....remember that all the shit from scoobal mouth have no proof also....

so I withheld my whacking a few days for the lamestream to report.... as I can see so did GMS....

when the 154 reporters start reporting, that is make or break chance for Yaw to clarify and that is when he confirm he did it with his lame duck response.......

also in the new media age , you dun need the 154th to reach out.... netizen are bombarding his wall since the news broke on 154th.... but he is still hiding, these are the people he let down..... people who coment he delete and ignore

scoobal ish just blinded by his anti gms stance... just because GMS is some time wrong, doesnt mean the GMS is always wrong...
what do you mean by joined forces with TRE, are you saying Newpaper have also joined forces with TRE???
how lame ish that? They cant repprt the same truth....
if Anything, I dunno why GMS is toning down his usual vitriolic........

any swing voters can see clearly that he is guilty..... the main reason he is hiding now is because the real truth is more than we can accept like maybe more th 5 women involved...

otherwise it is not tactily advantaegous and politically expedient to act blur, the truth must be worst than wat any1 can swallow....

Last edited:

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha....what a big load of BS by some demi-god again.
this thing is picked up by the msm publish in the papers.....not some online forum where u can get "literally" get away making all sorts of allegations and fxxking anybody u like.
as a public figure.......you cannot pretend u don't read the papers.
you have to respond......deny or admit.....no comment or silence is tacit admission.
meanwhile i bet the big wigs of WP qre holding crisis meetings to work out a response to mitigate the potential fall-out.
from the ways this affair is spinning, I am 99% sure that there is some truth in the rumours.
if i am wrong.....i will call the demi god, father and change my surname to kuku.....oops sorry, that makes the demi-god a kuku also.
"water ebbs and stone reveals" will be in a matter of weeks.......so hold your fire.