• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

GIC lost $10 billion on UBS and declined comment, acceptable?

GeylangCheongster

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.todayonline.com/Business/EDC110916-0000332/Rogue-trader-at-UBS-racks-up-S$2,48b-loss

Rogue trader at UBS racks up S$2.48b loss
04:47 AM Sep 16, 2011

LONDON - UBS, Switzerland's biggest bank in which the Government of Singapore Investment Corp (GIC) is the largest shareholder, said yesterday it might be unprofitable in the third quarter after a rogue trader lost US$2 billion (S$2.48 billion) at its investment bank.

Police in London yesterday arrested 31-year old Kweku Adoboli on suspicion of fraud in connection with the case. UBS declined to name the suspect.

Adoboli, of Ghanaian descent, joined UBS as a trainee in March 2006, according to the Financial Services Authority's register. He had been a member of UBS' Delta One team that worked on synthetic assets and derivatives for providers of exchange-traded funds.

Several traders said Adoboli might have mis-hedged his exposure to the Swiss franc and attempted to hide it from his team when the market moved against him by overcompensating with a hedge in the opposite direction. UBS claims the third-largest share in global foreign exchange trading and is the biggest in the euro/franc pairing.

Outside Adoboli's former home in Aldgate - a large loft space that he had rented for £1,000 a week - Mr Philip Otabe, Adoboli's former landlord, said he was "very, very polite - a salesman sort of chap".

In a statement issued from its Zurich headquarters, UBS said it might post a third-quarter loss after the rogue trades, a huge blow as it struggles to rebuild its credibility after years of crises. The loss effectively cancels out the US$2 billion that the bank had hoped to save in a cost-cutting programme announced last month in which it will axe 3,500 jobs.

It also threatens the future of UBS' investment bank, which is being reviewed by chief executive Oswald Gruebel as part of a wide-ranging restructuring following heavy losses in the credit crisis and a damaging scandal over bankers helping rich US clients dodge taxes.

UBS, which said no client positions were affected by the rogue trades, is scheduled to hold an investor day on Nov 17 at which it was expected to announce major restructuring of the investment bank. UBS employed almost 18,000 people in its investment bank at the end of June, most of them outside Switzerland, particularly in London and the United States.

UBS shares plummeted by 8 per cent to 10.07 Swiss francs late yesterday in Zurich, even as the European banking sector surged on news that central banks would provide additional liquidity to prevent the money markets from seizing up.

The share price plunge is bad news for GIC, which holds a 6.4 per cent stake in UBS. Based on the last traded price, GIC is sitting on about 7 billion francs, or S$10 billion, in unrealized losses, even after taking into account the 2 billion francs it received on the coupon before its 2008 investment was converted to shares last year.

A GIC spokesperson yesterday declined to comment when contacted by Today.

UBS' news caused disbelief among market operators.The last similar case was when Jerome Kerviel, a trader at France's Societe Generale, racked up a US$6.7 billion loss in unauthorised deals revealed in 2008. Kerviel was sentenced to three years in prison in Oct 2010.

ZKB trading analyst Claude Zehnder said: "It is amazing that this is still possible. They obviously have a problem with risk management … It's once more a loss of confidence that casts UBS in a poor light."

By coincidence, the Swiss parliament was slated yesterday to debate the future of the country's banking industry. Lawmakers are being asked to consider proposals to ensure that Switzerland's two biggest banks - UBS and Credit Suisse - are brought under tighter control as they are considered "too big to fail." - AGENCIES

GeylangCheongster

Alfrescian
Loyal
The ROGUE TRADER lost $2 billion

Our CHAMPION LONG-TERM INVESTOR lost $10 billion

HAHAHA, we are the laughing stock. Singaporeans are suckers for angmoh banks - Merrill Lynch coma, now UBS coma.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Aiyah, of course acceptable mah. We are long term investors. This UBS bugger is nothing lah - our Ho Ching wins pants down; I mean hands down.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Aiyah, of course acceptable mah. We are long term investors. This UBS bugger is nothing lah - our Ho Ching wins pants down; I mean hands down.

Pants down, the house wives will drop from its flight!. We have an Investor chief extraordinaire, the most transparent, unshakable on this planet earth. Everything is long term...buy high now, sell low in the long term..extraordinaire!

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please ask TT how this happen and why he qualify to be President? He the one make decision in GIC before as elected President.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Does anyone remember how much they bought the shares at and how much they are worth now?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Does anyone remember how much they bought the shares at and how much they are worth now?

i wonder what is the registered asset value of UBS....Barings lost not even 1bn & was wiped off from the surface of this planet...fucking UBS lost 2bn...

And I believed, USB had not even recovered from the last crisis...i recalled they even closed down their investment unit in Suntec.

and the culprit...an African...part of Nigerian scam ring?

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i only remember GIC went in too early. Since I'm not investing in that bank I didn't keep track, can't even remember what price GIC went in at. Would be interesting to see how much they actually made/loss as of today. With the Euro situation right now, I won't be surprise if the loss is still huge

Last edited:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i only remember GIC went in too early. Since I'm not investing in that bank I didn't keep track, can't even remember what price GIC went in at. Would be interesting to see how much they actually made/loss as of today.

around 10bn unrealised loss...as mentioned in the article by TS/

aangsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is just paper loss, no real loss until they dispose off . They already said that they're in for long haul; as good as saying most unlikely to lose money unless UBS goes belly up as we have a indefinitely time line . How long is long term ? 10 yrs or 100 yrs or 1000 yrs ?

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please ask TT how this happen and why he qualify to be President? He the one make decision in GIC before as elected President.

He don't remember! but it is SINgaporean fault for giving him the mandate to be in GIC & now to keep an eye on GIC, like asking like employing, 'ali baba's friend's"...hmmm:rolleyes:

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
When GIC lose $$$... They keep quiet but when they earn they announce to the whole world. So I hope the staff not going to get huge bonus this year end...

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
sinkie got screwed again.. yeah!!!!! what a good news to start the day.

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's amazing how they can always pick the losers....it must be a world record for suayness.
If you get a orang utan to throw a dart to pick the shares to buy, the ROI will be better.

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My name is Ho Mia....

ho-ching-2009-7-29-3-10-3.jpg

standbybed69

Alfrescian
Loyal
When GIC lose $$$... They keep quiet but when they earn they announce to the whole world. So I hope the staff not going to get huge bonus this year end...

Last month Temasek sold Shin Corp n losted over S$1 billion. The loss was not reported but instead The Shit Times focused on the high flier malaysian who broker the deal leaving Temasek. Wah lan portrayed he n brother like god broking the shin corp deal........do we hv to say thanks to them ?