• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Get permission to eat and drink on train

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE id=msgUN border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>
icon.aspx
Coffeeshop Chit Chat - Get permission to eat and drink on train</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right>
icon.aspx
Subscribe </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR>
icon.aspx
</NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>7:01 am </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (1 of 3) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>19598.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>Get permission to eat and drink on train
TRANSPORT Minister Raymond Lim makes no apologies for what some have called overly strict rules banning eating and drinking on the MRT.
In a written answer to a parliamentary question by MPs Cynthia Phua and Lim Wee Kiak, he stressed that the rule aims to ensure cleanliness and hygiene in the trains and stations.
He said those who might need to eat or drink for medical or special reasons could still do so, but should first approach MRT staff for permission. 'The MRT station staff are trained to exercise flexibility and judgment. Sometimes this may mean granting an exception; other times it may mean saying no.'
Both MPs asked about the tightening of the 'no eating and drinking' rule, following a recent case of a woman who was fined for eating a sweet on the train.
She had explained that she took it because she was feeling giddy and thirsty.
Her case had raised the ire of many, who complained the rules were too harsh. Most said simple things like having a sweet or a sip of water should not result in a fine.
Madam Phua and Dr Lim asked if exceptions could be made, like allowing the elderly to eat sweets to overcome motion sickness.
The minister said such incidents would be assessed on a case-by-case basis, but made it clear that leeway would be given only in exceptional cases.
'My ministry, and I am sure the operators as well, recognise that there could indeed be extenuating circumstances. However, these are exceptional situations rather than the norm. Practically, it would be impossible to comprehensively define such circumstances upfront.'
Mr Lim said operators stepped up enforcement recently after a surge in public complaints about such incidents.
There has been a rise in the number of commuters caught doing so. In 2006, 301 offenders were caught. The number rose to 581 in 2007 and 646 last year. In the first half of this year alone, 281 were caught.
The fines ranged from $30 to $500.
Despite the rise, Mr Lim said the proportion of offenders is low against the 1.5 million trips made each day.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
So are they suggesting that for diabetics feeling faint to press the emergency button and wait for SMRT staff to arrive and ask permission to eat sweet??

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I tend to side with this ruling as I have seen a secondary school girl drop a big cup of Macdonald Milo in the train and the particular carriage was flooded with milo.

ForzaFerrari88

Alfrescian
Loyal
I tend to side with this ruling as I have seen a secondary school girl drop a big cup of Macdonald Milo in the train and the particular carriage was flooded with milo.

I'm all for the ban. It was long overdue. SMRT have been sleeping all these years!!

jw5

Loyal
If you put me in charge, I would force her to lick up the milo.

jw5

Loyal
I'm all for the ban. It was long overdue. SMRT have been sleeping all these years!!
What's worse is people cutting their nails on the train.
Some people who eat or drink don't litter the train. Almost 100% of those who cut their nails do.

macky888

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is an overkill lah
so many pple eating bigger and messier things than a sweet and they wanna kill the one eating the sweet. These scholars really ought to exercise some common sense.

Lee Hsien Tau

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's the one having a heart attack that got problem. Press button and wait to ask for permission to take medication!

:oIo::oIo::oIo:

So are they suggesting that for diabetics feeling faint to press the emergency button and wait for SMRT staff to arrive and ask permission to eat sweet??

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Submit an application on a form downloadable from the SMRT website (later transferred to the LTA website because SBS also started running trains).

It's the one having a heart attack that got problem. Press button and wait to ask for permission to take medication!

:oIo::oIo::oIo:

lovesamleong

Alfrescian
Loyal
<!-- / message -->

Was she drinking the milo or was just transporting the milo :wink: