• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

GE: Reform Party former vice-chairman Alec Tok joins SDP

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The forgotten man is back

SINGAPORE: Reform Party's former vice-chairman Alec Tok has joined the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP).

Introducing the new member on Monday, SDP secretary-general Dr Chee Soon Juan said although party treasurer Gerald Sng was initially slated to stand in Bukit Panjang, he has graciously agreed to let Mr Tok contest instead.

The 46-year-old New York-based theatre director will challenge PAP's Dr Teo Ho Pin in the single-member constituency (SMC).

When asked why he chose to join the SDP after he quit the Reform Party, Mr Tok said that's because the SDP's principles are the "most consonant" with his own value, which is: putting Singaporeans at the heart of all policy-making.

"The SDP will not authorise any unsafe investments that would place Singaporeans' funds, managed by the town council, on risky investments like what Dr Teo did, vis-a-vis Lehman Brothers. I feel confident about speaking up on behalf of stallholders, people who work in a market, when there's a tussle for space of who gets to run a wet market," said Mr Tok.

The SDP also confirmed that Ms Teo Soh Lung will be fielded in Yuhua SMC.

The 62-year-old retired lawyer and former Internal Security Act (ISA) detainee said she used to volunteer in the community and render legal services. She will likely stand against PAP's Grace Fu.

Ms Teo sees entering politics as a continuation of her beliefs. "My being an ISA detainee... I'm very proud of the fact that because of my community work, I was arrested and detained without trial. I don't think this will be a black mark to my name. I hope Singaporeans will understand that," she said.

Attention was also turned on the online buzz about a YouTube video which Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports Vivian Balakrishnan said the SDP is trying to suppress because the video "raises some very awkward questions about the agenda and motivations of the SDP and its candidates".

Netizens have highlighted a YouTube video of a forum discussing Section 377A of the Penal Code that criminalises sex between men. SDP's candidate Dr Vincent Wijeysingha was allegedly seen in the video and mentioned as the possible "first gay MP in Singapore", and help push for gay rights.

"What video?" asked Mr Tok.

Dr Chee also weighed in, saying: "Clearly, Dr Balakrishnan is feeling the heat of the candidates that were fielded to contest in his ward. As a way of trying to get out of this situation, he is throwing the smoke bomb."

Dr Chee also accused the Minister of trying to distract voters from debate on issues such as rising cost of living, influx of foreigners, overrunning budget of the YOG and ministerial accountability.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1124726/1/.html

Last edited: